What manga are you reading right now?

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Re: What manga are you reading right now?

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:36 am

After years of watching Dragon Ball Z, I've decided to finally read the Dragon Ball manga, and once I finish the 500-ish chapters, I'll move on to reading the DBS manga.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

ZQFMGB
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ZQFMGB » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:30 am

I'm currently reading Attack On Titan and Ikigami: The Ultimate Limit.

For those who slept in a cave for the last ten years, Attack On Titan take place in a world where humanity has been almost eradicated by creepy giant humanoids called Titans. The survivors protected themselves by building three giant walls, and thanks to that there was a 100 year long peace. And of course, it's about to change, because a manga about humans just stagnating in a peaceful environment wouldn't be very interesting. I won't say more for those who haven't read it and managed to avoid being spoiled.

Ikigami take place in an unnamed asian country. This country is very similar to modern Japan, except that it has a very special law. In first grade, all students recive an inoculation. A small percentage of those inoculations contain a nano capsule which will kill the poor kid who received it between the ages 18 and 24. According to the government, it's supposed to help people understand "the value of life", increase productivity and prosperity, but it's also a good mean to control the population. And if you aren't okay with innocent people being killed randomly, then you'll be killed or brainwashed. So yeah, it's totally a dictatorship, but most people are too scared or brainwashed to say it.
The story itself follows Fujimoto, a man whose job is to deliver the "Ikigami", a notification which says "hey, you're going to die in 24 hours for the country, enjoy your day !". Each chapter is an independent story of a victim of this law, so we can see how they think about it, what they'll do in their last day, etc.
It's very interesting to see how they react. There's those who try to have a good time within their last moments, those who try to do something useful to end their lives beautifully, and... there's those who snap, go berserk and try to retaliate in their own ways.
As the story progress, we also get to see Fujimoto's doubts about the law. Again, I won't say more for those who are interested in reading it, but it's very interesting.

Yeah, I like light-hearted and cute things.
Nerv is recruiting new employees ! Check the list below to see what are the required competences for each job !

Commander : being as unexpressive as possible and doing a perfect "Gendo pose".
Vice Commander : looking constipated.
Operations director : shouting orders which have 95% chances of failing.
Chief scientist : looking amazed and puzzled when something goes wrong with an Eva.
Bridge operator : saying what's going wrong with an Eva and which emergency procedure isn't working.
Therapist : thera what ?

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:41 am

Gosu ( the master)

Korean in origin, and just absolutely gorgeous artwork. Has a fake-out beginning, and follows the disciple of a well-renowned martial artist as he fights to TAKE REVENGE for his master (and deliver dumplings on time). It's partly satirical.

One thing, it's really hard to gauge "power" in this series. The main character is presented as OP, and it's as if we're just waiting for the antagonists to discover how ****** they are.

But sometimes his life is at stake, and it's like... this doesn't look much different from him winning the fight, other than that there's more whining involved.

Further, I think it suffers from the Naruto problem, where the world doesn't seem scaled to extreme powers like this existing.

What's the point of a mountain pass fortification, if someone can just Rasengan it to smithereens at any time?

Still, beautiful to look at.
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Tue Dec 11, 2018 5:17 pm

I was never much into reading manga through the internet but after my Facebook account posted a suggestion on the subject, I have been checking out the adult (possibly Korean due to the names of the characters) manga This Doesn't Feel Like Me.

It has a (more than somewhat) obsessive stepmom lusting after her new stepson and them getting into embarrassing situations while he loses his virginity at the same time to a female friend. His father suspects the stepmom is hiding something due to the fact that they have been married and haven't made love (she even spiked him with a tea to get off one such encounter) and so far it seems just that she had surgery to look like she currently does since he finds out through a file on her that her face doesn't remotely look like the photo on it but it might be something else given further reading.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:12 am

Skeleton Warrior.

Reading lots of Korean material apparently. This is the first story that's made "I've been transported into a game world-- playing a non-human" palatable for me, but YMMV.

"Skeleton lover" is a phrase I didn't think I'd ever see. What are you loving exactly? How bleached their complexion is?
"Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing." - 1 Thessalonians 5:11

"It is one of the blessings of old friends that you can afford to be stupid with them." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Joy Evangelion
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Joy Evangelion » Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:54 pm

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote: "Skeleton lover" is a phrase I didn't think I'd ever see. What are you loving exactly? How bleached their complexion is?

I think they like their....... bone structure.................... :rimshot:

---------------------------------------------------
I'm almost caught up with Attack on Titan(which apparently is close to ending soon?), just waiting for Volume 26 to come in the mail. I wasn't wild about this current arc at first, but once it got going all of it's nuttiness started to appeal to me.
I used to work in a factory and I was really happy because I could daydream all day -- I.C.
And thanks to EVA, I've started like myself and that has made me very happy. Mr. Anno, please keep working on EVA a lot more.
and thank you so much for everything!!

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Jan 01, 2019 11:42 am

View Original PostAlaska Slim wrote: "Skeleton lover" is a phrase I didn't think I'd ever see. What are you loving exactly? How bleached their complexion is?
Joy Evangelion wrote:I think they like their....... bone structure.................... :rimshot:

Nicely done, sir  SPOILER: Show
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:23 am

The Rising of the Shield Hero

Okay I know this one has a huge social media controversy sticker attached but I've had this before with Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid anime and that was excellent as was The Ancient Magus Bride so I thought I'm gonna read this regardless, and you know what? This is a bloody excellent manga its better than That Time I got Reincarnated As A slime for so many reasons.

SPOILER: Show
So I'm just going to come out and say it I get why everyone is pissed over the whole false rape claim issue in this manga but what's really important to note in this manga is the woman who does this is a scum bag, she's vein, cruel and royalty. At no point is she played as the seductress or femme fetal (Who normally come with this issue in media) and the anime at no point uses sexual scenes or fan service to play on this issue its played in a very serious way like the Evangelion mangas.

Naofumi never sleeps with her he's never shown breasts or given temptation the scene is never played for laughs and he thinks he's being helped because he doesn't understand the world and she uses that against him and turns everyone on him including the other heroes and she steals his things and when he is thrown out of the palace he has nothing while the other heroes live in a world of privilege with very little hard ships and she did this to him because she wanted his spot on the hero party and because she's ruthless as hell this fits her character and you see that in action a lot in the manga in how she cheats or moves the posts its real text book narcissistic behaviour.

He has to start right from rock fucking bottom at low level and learn all the basics and at the very start it becomes clear like Shinji he gets deep depression and cries and isn't always nice to people and to me his buying of Raphtalia his demi human slave feels like an act of pure desperation as he is just not strong enough to defend himself at that point and he can't have a sword he can only have a shield. He's also really lonely because no one will talk to him so I could see why he did this.

And this is very important to note though he is harsh with Raphtalia due to depression but at no point does he hit hurt or sleep with this woman who is basically a kid when he buys her. She is not used as fan service at any point and nor is Filo who is a child and who joins the party later and he treats them both with real respect. He also learns to care for them in different ways and open his heart again and learns to trust through them and there's a brilliant moment with the first duel which I won't spoil as its heartbreaking but beautiful.

This also subverts and brings up something in RPG's I never even thought about which is what does happen to the village if you leave a rotting carcass of a monster on a hill then just leave the village to deal with it? What happens if all you care about is facing down the big monsters but you don't care about the little ones killing villages? The whole thing really takes a deep a closer look at what makes a real hero and what is an asshole posing as a hero who just walks in makes mess then rolls out not caring about consequences because they only care for glory.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:05 am

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:The Rising of the Shield Hero

Okay I know this one has a huge social media controversy sticker attached but I've had this before with Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid anime and that was excellent as was The Ancient Magus Bride so I thought I'm gonna read this regardless, and you know what? This is a bloody excellent manga its better than That Time I got Reincarnated As A slime for so many reasons.

The first two shows are good because they:

1. Don't use pandering as their modus operandi, and

2. Set up character intrigue that stands on its own;

3. Has a story not meant to bolster just one character.

Shield Hero offer us a main character who, besides being somewhat naive & dense, isn't shown to have deeper personal flaws. It then proceeds to turn him into the unabashed victim. Everything about his circumstances feels like something a brooding 14 yr old would come up with.

Naofumi is not like Elias who played a part in the suffering he incurred. It's not Naofumi's flaws that are driving the drama in his story. It's rather a vague sense of indignity that doesn't even feel that well fleshed out.

Additionally Chise, unlike Raphtalia, is not simply a tool for the male character's development. Not at the beginning, and not later on.

Chise has her own arc that exists not dependently, but rather interdependently with Elias'. An arc that Intersects with the latter at key points, but otherwise has a life of its own.

Raphtalia meanwhile from her backstory to her plot relevance is completely dependent on Naofumi's existence. Her presence in the story without him doesn't extend very far, and nothing about her feels like something that doesn't play right into the 1D waifu-trope you expect her to be. She just isn't interesting; she's a prop meant to make Naofumi look good.

Appealing to"That Time I got Reincarnated As A slime", just feels an attempt to lower the the bar. That show is nothing but pandering; between that and the jokes it's a matter of opinion if it "transcends" its own bare state to be meta in a way you can't help but laugh at. In short, That time... has a camp factor that Shield Hero isn't trying nearly as hard to invoke.

A shame, as it stands, Shield Hero would work more as a camp or parody premise. But alas, they already made that show.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sat May 25, 2019 11:09 am

Tokyo ESP (A.K.A. Hajime Segawa's X-Men)

Tokyo ESP was Segawa's big follow-up to Ga-Rei, and actually started its serialization while the latter was still ongoing and nearing its finale. Considering this continuous transition, it's pretty amazing how markedly better the character art in Tokyo ESP is; his somewhat amateurish early oughties style has evolved into something a little sharper and instantly recognizable, with the main focus being on his beloved sharp-eyed action girls. What hasn't changed is Segawa's penchant for superhero action, although this time around the reference point is X-men instead of Japanese mysticism. No joke: Segawa is a huge westaboo, and this is his take on the classic conflict of mutant factions. There's no Professor X-py to guide our underdog protagonists around because the story starts from the very incident that causes the instantaneous birth of mutantkind, but it doesn't take long for Magneto and Brotherhood of Mutants to appear, so it's up to the heroes to self-organize and team up in order to protect Tokyo's non-powered population. And whenever the story keeps to this base formula of good mutants vs. bad mutants, it's really damn good. The good guys are instantly charming, the bad guys are threatening and have a legitimate beef, and the masses of non-powered people are understandably panicky but not shit-headedly bigoted. A simple setup, but with wide and interesting gray areas. The action is all-around excellent, built around classic superpowers (flight, teleportation, matter manipulation, elemental powers and varying types of precog), crunchy hand-to-hand combat and guns always being dangerous, and I get the feeling that had the manga just been X-men played mostly straight, it could have been a proper action classic and a worthy successor to Ga-Rei. Sometimes less is more. But no, Tokyo ESP really wants to upstage its predecessor, and the bloat becomes unmanageable.

If you've only watched the admittedly pretty lame Tokyo ESP anime, which adapts the first third of the overall story, you'd know that it teases this big behind-the-scenes conspiracy that Magneto is trying to unravel. There are mysterious super-super dudes in the shadows, but what are they up to? The build-up towards any sort of meaningful revelations is extremely slow and deliberate, and it makes you think the ultimate truth must be the craziest shit ever, because why else would it be hidden under so many layers of subterfuge. There's an incredibly tantalizing early reveal that the Ark of the Covenant is involved as a McGuffin, so obviously there's some ripe madness to be expected. And then, the second act of the story begins with a time skip and a seemingly new main character! Yes, this is now a multi-track drifting dual protagonist monstrosity. And to be fair, this new second cast of characters does pull its weight admirably: Ren is instantly likeable as this dorky everygirl who becomes very much an accidental Chosen One, and unlike Rinka, she has absolutely no background in ass-kicking, so her climb towards superhero status is a huge uphill battle full of failure and self-doubt. Zeusu is more generic as a sexy and enigmatic potential love interest, but has probably the most bonkers superpower, Uri Geller's spoon bending reimagined as this supremely lethal ninja art. Marume is super cute as a fangirl who has the biggest crush on Azuma, but beyond this core trio the bloat starts to show in the character department as well. The Hero Club is a fun concept, but the other members basically get an introductory scene and nothing much else. The entire esper containment school part could have been a manga in its own right, but here it's just this frankly underutilized background setting.

When we meet up with the first arc protagonists Rinka and Azuma again, it's a far cry from the comparatively slice-of-lifey mutant high school stuff happening in parallel, as they're knee-deep in some black ops business, crushing underground mutant slave rings that organize kill-or-be-killed fighting tournaments. Rinka almost gets mindbroken multiple times and has to wear ridiculous fetish outfits and fight genderswapped Chucky. The authorial intention seems clear: our original heroes have done the right thing by infiltrating this sick criminal underworld, because proper heroes won't let such evil stand, but they've paid a psychological price for it and have lost a good chunk of their peppy do-gooder attitude in the process. As such, one would expect that when the two story tracks inevitably merge and the two casts meet, there's going to be a clash of some sort between the now more world-weary originals and the still starry-eyed new batch, as pragmatism and idealism are pitted against one another.

Then, when this long-awaited meeting finally happens, well, there's a hell of an extended action set-piece that also serves as the last huzzah for the Brotherhood of Mutants, but it all pretty much unravels after that. Although the Ark of the Covenant business had been teased for a long time, I had the suspicion that the story is not going to turn into a magical mystery tour of world religions because Ga-Rei had done just that, and I was mostly right. Whereas Ga-Rei's magic system was clever and fleshed out, here the occult elements are more generic anime instrumentality wank, and the story totally cops out by leaving most things unexplained and just dropping a lame sequel tease at the end. But what really cripples the finale are the lame villains. After teasing the biggest occult conspiracy ever, when the curtains are pulled aside, the villains turn out to be

young Erik Prince and his Blackwater buddies. Sure, they have big area effect superpowers, but everything about these goons just screams "miniboss squad".

Furthermore, the expected conflict between the two hero teams never really materializes in any meaningful way. Magneto comes back and goes all murderously crazy, and it's all very downerific because even though the heroes are working together mostly fine, the collateral damage is absolutely catastrophic and innocents die by the thousands. They even fail to save the seemingly obvious morality test character, whose halting arc towards the good side goes down the drain. This all feels like a rejection of the very classical heroic ideals seth forth in the first third of the story, but I guess it's just a side effect of the overstuffed buffet table collapsing under its own weight rather than being this calculated, mean-spirited 180. This is one of those endings where there's lots of sound and fury clearly masking the lack of a meaningful wrap-up, and my personal read is that Segawa is one of those creators who don't need help in getting their story airborne, but need serious editorial oversight to bring it down to a landing. Nowhere is this more apparent than in the character of Nadja, who is an entirely superflous dark action girl in a series that already has four or five dark action girls vying for panel time. Her big stand-out action scenes are pretty great, but otherwise she could've been replaced by any number of ascended B-tier baddies from the first arc, considering how they are thrown in jail and then promptly forgotten. Ideally an editor would have strong-armed Segawa to save her for some entirely new project later down the line, but the negative thing about popularity is that editors often become too hesistant to wrangle an out-of-control creator's firehose (also known as the Tom Clancy page count phenomenon). The end result is two thirds of an epic, and one third of an epic mess.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sat May 25, 2019 5:02 pm

Bloom Into You
Beautiful art. Really like the character interactions and I see lots of potential. Will potentially turn pretty dark/sad (looking forward to it?), hoping for good exploration of the character's psyches.

Jojo Part 2
After a first part that was fine but struggled to really become special, this part is fucking awesome, insane shonen.

Dr Slump
It's Toriyama being absurd. And that works 99% of the time. His art is so good. I cpuld look at it forever. Really has been a long time since I bought a volume..

Dead Dead Demon's Dededede Destruction
Love the art, love the characters. It's becoming really interesting. The mix of more serious themes and strange humor somehow works.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:19 am

Getter Robo Deevolution

My roommate is a big Getter Robo and Dynamic Pro fan in general. I like them never got super into it. The art and story is pretty amazing so far though. Need a bit more to really pass judgement on it

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:10 pm

Komi Can't Communicate / Miss Komi is Bad at Communication
I don't know what rock I've been under to have missed this one. It may very well be the most adorable/wholesome thing I've ever encountered (manga-related, anyway). I only caught mention of it maybe...I dunno, two weeks ago, and I'm hooked. It's funny and cute and is way overdue for an anime adaptation. Seriously, send help, I think the just-over-two-hundred chapters of it I've read (out of, I think, 234) has given me the diabeetus.

10/10, would recommend to anyone.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Fri Feb 07, 2020 6:59 am

Yahari Ore no Seishun Love (Oregairu)

The original communication-difficulty LN (Komi Can't Communicate is good too, highly recommend it).

And It just got weird for me.

Volume 12, the buzz word is "co-dependence".

Is this how we figure out that Haruno was studying... Psychology? Boy, her parents must be proud...

I don't get why Hiki is so easily blown by this "Diagnosis". "Helper's high" is another explanation for what he feels; he needn't think Haruno got him right.

If Sensei doesn't immediately set him straight, I call shenanigans.

Two developments we clearly had in this story:
* Hiki acknowledges that both girls are in love with him.
* Yuigahama has basically found out that she's not "best girl." It wasn't a direct denial though, so I feel kind of robbed.

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:16 pm

Oregairu again. I "finished" volume 14, or rather as much of a translation as I could find, and a summation for the last two chapters.

I really do like the...

Confession scene. That goes as much as I expected for those two.

But I think Wateru Watari caved in delivering the ending he'd been alluding to.

He gave hints throughout the work that dissolving the relationship, a bittersweet ending as he called it, was in the works. He even suggested people re-read vol 1 (which I did) to properly set their expectations.

My expectation was the three going seperate ways, and for them to pick things up again in about the "3 years" sensei talks about.

That, or the lessons Hachiman learns feeding into making his adult relationship with others flourish. Putting what Sensei taught him into practice, and getting a better result than her own.

I also expected a more firm denial of Yui. They hint at this in the final moments of Vol 11, Season 2, but it never takes place. It happens merely through suggestion and implicit things left unsaid.

As the work stands, I don't see a true thematic connection to vol 1. I don't see a true dissolution of Hachimans "youth", the service club. I think Wateru, despite his denial, changed his ending.

And that he did so after he denied it, partly due to being pushed to extend the work by two more volumes, partly by early manuscripts of vol 14 he submitted being rejected. Partly because his feelings may have changed when his other works struggled to get attention.

Anyway, I'm going to take my time digesting Oregairu, and seeing what else I can pick out.

天使 | Nyo | 天使
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby 天使 | Nyo | 天使 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:48 am

Honestly, I'm actually not much of a Manga person, but I've been starting to get my fair share of it over the last several months or so, starting with Fullmetal Alchemist.

Currently, though, I'm reading Death Note (got the Black Editions because they look SO COOL.) I'm still only on the first two volumes but I'm almost done with it and hope to continue reading it. I'll probably read all of them so I MAYBE make a comparison video of the Death Note Manga vs. the anime on YouTube (channel DESPERATELY needs new content.)

Other than that, it's more or less me just reading the Persona Manga (starting with the Persona 3 Manga first), since that's my new obsession and has been for some months now. I just have to somehow actually PLAY the games too (probably gonna get a PS5 just to play Persona...and some of the pretty cool Playstation Exclusives too.) I actually RP as Akechi in a group on VRChat and his voice pretty well. Fun stuff honestly! ^_^

I kinda just wanna buy up ALL of the series at once when I get into reading a Manga so I can just continuously read them all without having to worry about being stuck on a cliffhanger or something. Heck, I did that Fullmetal Alchemist and I'm a few volumes behind where I am now, I'm on like Volume 4 and I have 1-7 already. God, I need to read those... :facepalm:

AND WATCH THE REBUILD MOVIES! :guffaw:
Yeah, I change the things I'm interested in on a dime. Seriously, one day I'll be playing SMT, the next day it's VRChat, then it's just whatever I'm feeling like playing at that point. "Oh wow, you're uhhh...something that's for sure." -Anyone who meets me for the first time basically.

Youtube: Nyo, the one with the Tatsuya Suou (main character from Persona 2: Innocent Sin) Picture. I can't link it on my profile because it doesn't properly link it for some reason.

Discord: Nyo-kun#4442, don't send me weird pics or something. I'll just be using it for anyone who wants to contact me outside of the forums, don't harass me either.)

~Nyo :3

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

Re: What manga are you reading right now? B/

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:45 am

Sing Yesterday to Me

Just watched the anime of this before reading. While the bonus specials help to provide context, the anime ending is just atrocious.

It smacks of regression for Shinako, and lack of maturity for Rikuo. "1st girl didn't work out? Time for Ms. back up!"

The manga offers much needed context through inner monoluges from the characters, and actions that were left on the cutting room floor. Even though the decisions are largely the same, the basis for them is made far more apparent. Equally, Haru never stops interacting with Rikuo so she doesn't come across as just a clingy girl. She was always a friend, and she always had the ability to connect with Rikuo, rather than their situation appearing to always be an older man humoring an idiot.

And while Haru still had teenager-itis in how she dealt with issues, she did make concrete steps to move on from Rikuo in the Manga.

Rou equally demonstrates maturity and insight onto his situation that the anime never gets to.

Overall, it feels refreshing to see an adult relationship be the focus of a narrative. Even if said adults are screwy to an artificial degree, the conscious acknowledgement of needs and tit-for-tat awkwardness seemed true to life.

MuscleRobo
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby MuscleRobo » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:17 am

I read the manga Blue Flag by KAITO. I was a very big fan of his previous work Cross Manage; I would even say it was one of my favorite manga. Blue Flag was really, really, really amazing though. I've always had a soft spot for some Shonen romance series like the works of Masakazu Katsura and this one was great. It did a very nice job of visiting some themes explored in Cross Manage and other more mature manga about how things that seem like the most important moment in your life might not actually be all that much in the long run. The ending was apparently very controversial but I thought it was very strong even if it was surprising.

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:17 pm

Chi no Wadachi is one of the most deeply unsettling things I've read in my life that wasn't Story of the Eye.

AngelNo13Bardiel
Still Ill
Still Ill

•      
  •      

Postby AngelNo13Bardiel » Sun Aug 16, 2020 5:23 pm

I'd gotten a bit behind in my manga reading (waaayyy behind, really), so I've spent the last couple of months playing catch-up on my backlog. Alphabetical order, mostly just first volume or two (more than that for the ones I really liked):

here be the list  SPOILER: Show
-Bakemonogatari
-Don't Toy With Me, Miss Nagatoro
-Eromanga Sensei
-Gabriel Dropout
-Himouto Umaru-chan
-Kaguya-sama: Love is War
-KonoSuba
-Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid (along with the Kanna and Elma spinoffs)
-New Game!
-Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
-Saki the Succubus Hungers Tonight (just gonna throw this out there: this one's unsubtle enough it should just be classified as offbrand)
-Teasing Master Takagi-san (and the sequel/spinoff...Chi is so frickin' cute it hurts)
-Toradora!
-Uzaki-chan Wants to Hang Out!
-WataMote
-We Never Learn

...I think I sense a pattern here.
Evangelion fan since 15 October 2002, Evangelion fanfiction writer since 1 April 2004. (FFN) (AO3)
Current avatar: Don't mind Mr. Joel--after all, he didn't start the dumpster fire that is 2020.
Don't bend; don't water it down; don't try to make it logical; don't edit your own soul according to the fashion. Rather, follow your most intense obsessions mercilessly. - Franz Kafka
Clones to the left of me, tsunderes to the right...and here I am, stuck in the middle with Shinji. - how I view my experience with Evangelion
-When it comes to Asuka/Shinji, pre-EoE is like moving Mount Everest and post-EoE is like moving the Olympus Mons. Either way, it's moving a mountain. It's just the size of said mountain.-

Return to “Anime and Manga”