What manga are you reading right now?

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Re: What manga are you reading right now?

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:35 pm

^I may have read your post wrong, but the age of consent in the UK is 16.

Anyway, I always thought that manga, based on the images I've seen of it, has some sort of sinister quality to it.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:01 pm

I don't know how much this counts, since it's a very episodic manga that doesn't really have an ongoing storyline, but I've been binging on Franken Fran lately.
It pretty much presses all my buttons: biology, weird monster designs, medical anomalies, and dark comedy. The idea is that Fran (basically what you would expect Frankenstein's Monster to look like if you turned it into a cute anime girl) is a doctor who can. . . well, do anything basically. So you get one episode where a little girl's dog is hit by a car, so Fran puts its brain inside the corpse of an overweight middle-aged man that she just happened to have lying around. So of course the man starts acting like a dog, and even protects his owner from a mugger.
In another chapter, Fran invents a way for women to give birth painlessly--by giving birth to giant caterpillars that then spin cocoons and emerge as human babies. But a rival scientist steals the plans and releases them while they're still in the beta phase, which results in such things as the caterpillar-babies getting eaten by the family cat, infested by parasitic wasps, and thrown out with the garbage. Needless to say, the idea doesn't catch on.
If you can stomach the visuals, Franken Fran is awesome and sometimes hilarious. Why it hasn't been made into an anime yet escapes me.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:32 am

I'm reading Nausicaa, the Viz edition that comes in a box, two big volumes.
I started the manga once and stopped due to lack of time.
The art is amazing, and it really showcases how horrible war is. The movie was tame in comparison (in general it's pretty different).
I've only read 1/7 of it, it's supposed to get better and better.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat May 19, 2018 9:36 am

I was reading berserk but found it just to depressing even for my taste, so I switched to Chii's Sweet Home instead.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Blue Monday
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Blue Monday » Sun May 20, 2018 5:50 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I'm reading Nausicaa, the Viz edition that comes in a box, two big volumes.

Nausicaä is in my top ten comics of all time, it's awesome, and to think that the movie only adapts the first three books or so (maybe less), when the manga goes up to seven. Not to mention that the crazier shit, the really good stuff, goes down towards the end. It really is Miyazaki's life's work; all those long years of hard work, pain and effort really resonate from the page. For me, it also dethroned Akira as my favourite 80s manga epic. The Viz release version you mentioned - the two oversized hardcovers in the boxset - is fantastic as well.

I'm overdue for a re-read sometime soon I think :emogendo:

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:I was reading berserk but found it just to depressing even for my taste, so I switched to Chii's Sweet Home instead.

I've been meaning to start Berserk for years, but because so many of the earlier Dark Horse tankōbons are out of print, I've just never found the energy, nor the money, to track down all the volumes in the aftermarket, some of which go for exorbitant prices.

I keep telling myself I'll hold off until they start doing omnibus versions, like they're currently doing for Blade of the Immortal, I am a Hero and Gantz; but I think they only do that for series that have actually finished, and from what I know, like Vagabond, I could be waiting a long fucking time for that prospect.
"Eva(Geeks) is a story that repeats."
Warren Peace, #643919

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun May 20, 2018 9:10 am

The ending to Nausicaa really is amazing, one of the best things Miyazaki has written and drawn.
I get why Anno wanted to make an animated version.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Sun May 20, 2018 2:26 pm

I have a question, and I suppose this is as good a place to put it as any.

See, there's a comic I read on the internet once (though I'm pretty sure it was originally a print comic) that I've been going insane trying to find. The plot revolved around a mutated woman with giant, freaky-looking hands living in a drainage pipe—a "sewer mutant", to use Futurama's parlance— who adopts an orphaned boy. It had a very distinct art style, something like Junji Ito though it wasn't actually by him. It was short, too; maybe 10 or 15 pages.
Any pointers?
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Tue May 22, 2018 4:20 am

Managed to get my hands on a copy of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure, vol. 1 of Part I, Phantom Blood.

This really has to be appreciated as parody of the first order. Everyone is so pathetically transparent with their intentions, and the plot is so heavily cliched... it's very much "so bad it's good".

And yet... and yet, it's actually good. It somehow manages to be both exquisite parody and good as a serious story as well.

SPOILER: Show
Dio is just pure unabashed evil. Almost stereotypically so, the way he clearly outlines his plans in thought bubbles for the reader. I mean, yes, you can tell he has a lot of depth/backstory to him... Much like the manga itself, Dio is both an amazing parody of the rival character, and a good character in his own right. It's really quite difficult not to hate him, in fact. (What is it with him and putting his thumb in Jojo's eye? Something seriously wrong with the man.)

Jojo, for his part, is a character worthy of sympathy. One can laugh at how overly trusting he is, but at the same time, who among us hasn't had a period of childlike naivete in our lives? Loss of innocence is a powerful event that we all go through.

(You were expecting a forum post, but it was me, Dio!)

I shall have to continue some day.
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Mon May 28, 2018 2:01 am

I am going mention this here, both because I'm not sure where else to put it and because I feel the need to spare you from a horrifying fate. I was searching for Evangelion doujinshi the other day, when I encountered something not meant for mortal eyes.

Strap your arses in, lads, for I read. . .

I READ. . .

Gesuigai. No, I am not going to link to it, nor am I going to describe it. Suffice to say that the contents of this work would have driven a lesser man than myself permanently insane with the knowledge that such a thing existed in the world. I would liken the experience to coming face-to-face with one of H. P. Lovecraft's Old Ones, such was the unnatural wrongness I felt upon seeing it. It felt as though I was reading a work of fiction from an ersatz parallel universe that was somehow transported into ours.

In other words. . . seriously, guys, don't read it.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:55 am

Noragami is back after a year's hiatus. Chapter 75 shows us the immediate consequences of Nora's kissing Yukine.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

imprimatur13
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby imprimatur13 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 3:47 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Noragami is back after a year's hiatus. Chapter 75 shows us the immediate consequences of Nora's kissing Yukine.

You know, it's been months since I've watched Noragami, and when first I saw this post, I thought Nora was Yato. I was highly surprised.
My first fanfic: Neon Genesis Craig-Insertion
Kyoko's Melons: Currently being completely rewritten, so... if anyone liked it so far, great. I did too. But... not enough. ;)

EvaGeeks Discord server: https://discord.gg/MgA8Ev7

AR-99
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby AR-99 » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:20 pm

Read the first volumes of Blade of the Immortal and Detroit Metal City. Wasn't really drawn in by Blade. However DMC looks like it's worth following up on.

Also finished the 2nd volume of Goku: Midnight Eye. However since the series in English is OOP and is an older one, haven't found a means yet of finishing it up.
Go with God, and Fight Like the Devil 1356
Curator of: Evangelion Virtual MuseumCold SteelMFC
Sanity is no option for a collector. - Tolwyn • I just love eva so much that I figured it's worth investing in. - Paranoid

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 9:17 pm

I'm at the third volume of Inio Asano's Dead Dead Demon's Dedede Destruction, a much lighter manga than that author's Punpun.
I'm enjoying it despite still not being sure what the bigger picture is.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:12 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:^I may have read your post wrong, but the age of consent in the UK is 16.

Anyway, I always thought that manga, based on the images I've seen of it, has some sort of sinister quality to it.

Yes age of consent here is 16 and breaking that will get you in to serious trouble over here even more so after the Saville sandal.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

ShonHam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ShonHam » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:19 am

I just finished reading 20th Century Boys, and I'm so glad I did. I can't believe I put it off for so long.
I do love me some Rei guns.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:18 am

How Cells Work

Really great and fun manga can not wait to see what they put in the anime and I liked the conclusion it was smart and interesting all in all a really fun manga. I also really like that though this has fan service its treated more as part of the story its not out of know where or forced and it has some great story telling and reading it was fascinating to learn about body cells.

How Cell Work black Spin off

I thought this was gonna be like the anime and the other manga I was so wrong the super high level of fan service in this so utterly unnecessary and having a multi raping penis monster germ who just happens to kill all of the under dressed fan service white female blood cells (As the genders are reversed in the spin off manga white cell are female and red male) comes of as such bad taste in a later chapter along with them getting there clothes torn down to shreds while male characters don't loose any clothing. This also undermines the story, characters and the struggle and reduces it's impact because it has such bad 80's anime vibes due to glaring massive double standards its a huge step down from the first Manga as they could have done themes like how sex works with out having to resort to this level.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:03 pm

Ga-Rei:

SPOILER: Show
Hajime Segawa had lots of luck with his breakthrough opus Ga-Rei, as it actually benefited from what I assume must have been executive meddling. Its story is told in four major arcs, but the manga starts from the second arc, and throughout it the first arc is only visited in scattered flashbacks. Why such an unusual starting point in a story driven by an interpersonal conflict, where the initial setup is of crucial importance? While the otherwise revealing and often brutally honest omake segments don't go into too much detail regarding the birthing pains of the manga, I would assume this was due to creative friction between the author and the publisher. You see, Ga-Rei was serialized in Monthly Shonen Ace, but Segawa has the world's biggest boner for action girl protagonists. As a result of his priorities, even though the first arc of Ga-Rei sets up all of the super-important character stuff between the katana-wielding schoolgirl ghosthunters Kagura and Yomi, it doesn't really feature any obvious male point-of-view-characters that would fit the usual shounen manga mold. It's not until well after the tragic events of the opening arc that we meet Kensuke, a boy with an ability to see spirits, whom Kagura recruits to join her in the supernatural underworld of government-sanctioned ghostbusting, which gets the second arc rolling. Perhaps the publisher felt this would be the magazine-appropriate starting point.

Of course, since I have no information one way or the other, perhaps there was no behind the scenes arm-twisting, and the unusual starting point is simply some early installment weirdness directly attributable to Segawa himself and no-one else. Perhaps the first arc was meant to be presented as a fully-formed flashback arc later down the line, until it was made redundant by the prequel anime Ga-Rei Zero, which turned Ga-Rei into a media mix franchise. To be frank, it's a bit uneven media mix because the anime was so bar-raisingly good. Ga-Rei Zero is a superlative action anime that works fascinatingly well as a stand-alone work (the one-time-use troll episode notwithstanding). It has a controlled, self-assured feel to it because it's building towards a pre-planned grand finale, but it also has freshness to it because it's not adapting previously seen material. This latter thing is an absolute blessing, considering how ultimately disappointing preview slices manga-adapted anime usually are (see for example Tokyo ESP, based on a later manga by Segawa). Thanks to its previously unrealized first arc, Ga-Rei was able to use a structural cheat to avoid that ditch and have a splendid anime to its name, but if you follow the story chronologically and watch the anime first, the jump to the original manga can cause some whiplash because it is anything but controlled. It’s one of those titles that clearly has way more energy than sense, and it's fueled by obvious, mad chriscartering, i.e. making shit up as it goes along, and this leads to some silly stumbles.

For example, fairly early on in the manga, Kagura equips herself with a seemingly important MacGuffin-weapon prior to a major battle. However, this item ultimately plays no role in the battle, and a later omake explains that in their rush to have the action-heavy chapters completed, Segawa and his team simply forgot the damn thing! In a hilarious mea culpa retcon flashback, a friendly side character finds the weapon and later chastises Kagura for dropping it in the heat of the battle. Similarly, in another omake confession Segawa admits that when he was starting the manga, he actually wrote the title with an incorrect kanji, and his editors never corrected him because they thought he was intentionally being all rad and different. This goes to show how freewheeling the content is.

So, it is understandable why some people coming from the anime are turned off by the manga: it's undeniably scattershot, its character art is often only workmanlike, and its downtime moments are filled with nineties-flavored fanservice and typical slapsticky Japanese comedy. And the anime's sizable yuri fanbase naturally didn't like the introduction of Kensuke as a male love interest for Kagura. And even beyond that, in terms of overall story structure, the second arc starts a bit lame after the dramatic heights of the anime's ending. The biggest sticking point is Ghost Yomi; as an evil spirit she simply isn't nowhere near as interesting as she was as a conflicted flesh-and-blood person seduced by the dark side. Other villains are introduced later, and in the third arc we finally get to see what Mitogawa's master plan is, but that's also a little bit of a letdown, as he's revealed to be yet another villain with a tragic backstory. Humanizing the person the anime hyped up as this irredeemable satanic evil feels cheap, but then again, one must remember that this part of the manga predated the anime, which decided to up the ante after the fact. (While they are same canon, the anime does introduce some things that are continuity-breaking but coolness-enhancing, like giving Kagura a proper Michael-series sword; in the manga she's almost purely a summoner who fights by controlling Byakuei.)

But what saves and ultimately elevates the manga is the fact that Segawa is of one those rare storytellers that can chriscarter successfully. Whereas Ga-Rei Zero is small and tragic, Ga-Rei goes big and epic, and you'd think the levels of escalation Segawa engages in should result in a faceplant. (It's happened with better-selling authors - remember Negima's ending?)
Interestingly, the early signs heralding the final arc are not promising: Yomi comes back yet again, there's a new and stronger than ever group of villains, zombie-like spirits are again filling the streets, the heroes are on the run once more... It just seems like a rehash, except with more bloat. But then, almost miraculously, a couple of big plot twists suddenly recontextualize these seeming similarities: the "villains" are not some new group of assholes after the power of Kyubi but something much more powerful and indifferent, and the protagonists' final trial becomes more about dealing with the underlying implications of the magic system of the Ga-Rei-verse. "How magic works" seems to have been the one thing Segawa really did plan out in advance, and the name Ga-Rei actually alludes to this in a clever way (at least if read with its proper kanji). Thus, it was a genuine surprise for me to find an actual clockwork plot mechanism inside this thing I thought was just hastily whipped-together wobbly, soft fun. The magic is the plot, and the manga drives this point home with its beautiful final panel.

Perhaps even more importantly, for all his wobbly faults, Segawa has a keen grasp of appealing characterization. It's all genre stuff, but it tracks. Like I said, Segawa is all about his action girls, and he's not subtle about it. Even though Kensuke is given the POV role, Kagura is undeniably the true main character: her tragic relationship with Yomi is by far the rawest emotional nerve in the story, and she's got by far the most skin in the game. Even with Yomi gone, Byakuei is essentially a time bomb strapped to her soul, and this forms a second layer of conflict beyond all of her day-to-day monster hunting antics. Is her cursed state of being curable, and if yes, should she take advantage of such a cure, considering how valuable she is to the humanity at large as Byakuei's host? Could she ever have a normal life?

Shizuru is perhaps the most cliched of Ga-Rei's action girls, being the arrogant rival who is brought low and has to half-reluctantly join the good guys' team, but she more than makes up for it by being such a fiery in-the-moment foil to the more reserved Kagura. Tsuina, who is introduced last in her own spin-off book, rounds out the main trio in a compelling way, as her backstory is an intentional reversal of those of Kagura and Shizuru: she's a mostly normal, kind of a dorky girl who falls head over heels for a cool, mysterious exorcist boy and gets drawn into the world of ghosts and ghoulies. While she is a very comedic character driven by a schoolgirl crush, she also gradually comes to appreciate the meaningfulness of her new line of work, dangerous though it is.

Even Kensuke pulls his weight commendably, considering how little is usually required of the token male in a cluster of action girls. The dynamic is pretty unusual if you stop to think about it: he's the POV character in a fanservice-heavy manga aimed at boys, but in terms of his role in the story, he's the love interest / hired muscle. His personal stakes are lower, and the story goes out of its way to show that his friends and family are never in any acute, targeted danger. Kagura recruits him because after the sick, sad events of the first arc, the supernatural countermeasures division is in a dire need of reinforcements, and even stop-gag redshirts will do. Kensuke comes with bog-standard anime boy abilities as he can swing a sword and see spirits, but he’s pretty outgunned compared to almost anyone else, both hero and villain alike. He persists in his meat shield role because Kagura is a cute, available girl who shares the same connection with the supernatural, but the budding romance is complicated by his feelings of inferiority and Kagura’s self-blame over Yomi. There’s an intriguing wound-licking dimension to Kagura’s affection for Kensuke, and even though the exorcism business seems to offer Kensuke some much-needed direction in life, he’s held back by the question if he’s ever going to be strong and worthy enough to be with Kagura, the time bomb girl, the danger magnet main character.

In other words, the focus of the character writing is on young people trying to find their place in the world and dealing with the uncertainties of adulthood - a thematic backbone that characterizes many popular youth-oriented franchises. As another commentator has said, "that's the teenage part in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles." And while supernaturally attuned people are not some vastly different class or caste within society in Ga-Rei’s world, there's a certain element of outsiderness and alienation at play too, although I would assume it's a far bigger deal in Tokyo ESP, which seems to be just one huge X-Men riff. (Segawa is an unbelievable westaboo who sprinkles his works with eye-poppingly brazen western pop-culture cameos. I’m not going to spoil any here because spotting them is half the fun.)

The epilogue chapter of Ga-Rei is a good distillation of its central qualities (Despite Sagawa's love for American cape comics, Ga-Rei actually has a definitive ending); it's cheesy almost to the point of self-deflating its emotional resonance, but it overcomes itself. The manga is nowhere near as dark and edgy as Ga-Rei Zero – for example, it introduces an honest-to-god cute mascot animal – and it replaces the anime’s small-scale personal tragedy with epic action, giant monsters and world-changing consequences. The shift is drastic and your mileage may vary, but it really clicked for me, probably because I’m also an idiotically huge fan of Read or Die. If anything I’ve described above might sound like your cup of tea, do give Ga-Rei a go. Unlike Tokyo ESP, it doesn’t have physical release in the west, but a digital version can be purchased from Bookwalker. It doesn’t, however, include the Tsuina spin-off book that should be read after Ga-Rei volume 7, so with that you’re going to have to go pirate.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:23 am

Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin. The only manga, at the moment, you can count as ever reading.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:35 pm

Rei IV wrote:Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin. The only manga, at the moment, you can count as ever reading.

Have you read the Bleach manga? That thing was long......
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:48 pm

Not yet reading it - but I have just ordered the Utena manga. Should be here by the weekend.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Return to “Anime and Manga”