Anno's Suicide Attempt(?)

A forum for discussion of other Gainax works, people belonging or related to Gainax and the non-Eva projects they've worked on, media that reference or have distinct parallels to Eva, etc.

Moderator: Board Staff

Xard
Sex God Bastard
Sex God Bastard

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Jan 29, 2011 9:53 am

I'm about halfway through the book and all I can say is that it is damn awesome. Miyazaki's genius and depth of personality and thought is astonishing. He really propably is one of a kind in the industry. Mamoru Oshii may be intelligent but as personality unpleasant and sour. Miyazaki is simply put fascinating and very charismatic.

And of course fun anecdotes abounds.
ran1: Oh gosh this sentence gave me an internet boner. You're so tsundere.
Mugwump: Goddamn it, Xard! Take me in your arms, you magnificent sex god bastard!
And don't forget to wear the Ran mask.
Eva Yojimbo: You really are the Otaku equivalent of a Catholic and Jew rolled up into one giant dakimakura of guilt.
Gob Hobblin: Sanctimonious, subtly racist, vaguely misogynist, somehow says something while at the same time saying...nothing, really, at all....

Nice, Xard. That's nice.

shinji_ryoji_89
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby shinji_ryoji_89 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:28 pm

View Original PostXard wrote:I'm about halfway through the book and all I can say is that it is damn awesome. Miyazaki's genius and depth of personality and thought is astonishing. He really propably is one of a kind in the industry. Mamoru Oshii may be intelligent but as personality unpleasant and sour. Miyazaki is simply put fascinating and very charismatic.

And of course fun anecdotes abounds.

You're talking about "Starting Point", right? Another book for my list of 10000 books to read that I haven't read yet.

Xard
Sex God Bastard
Sex God Bastard

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:04 pm

View Original Postshinji_ryoji_89 wrote:You're talking about "Starting Point", right? Another book for my list of 10000 books to read that I haven't read yet.

yeah, that's the one I'm talking about
ran1: Oh gosh this sentence gave me an internet boner. You're so tsundere.
Mugwump: Goddamn it, Xard! Take me in your arms, you magnificent sex god bastard!
And don't forget to wear the Ran mask.
Eva Yojimbo: You really are the Otaku equivalent of a Catholic and Jew rolled up into one giant dakimakura of guilt.
Gob Hobblin: Sanctimonious, subtly racist, vaguely misogynist, somehow says something while at the same time saying...nothing, really, at all....

Nice, Xard. That's nice.

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:04 am

View Original Postgwern wrote:Hah! Most fan-diagnoses of Rei definitely weren't schizophrenia! On the other hand, you did say that the terms seemed to be non-standard. Maybe that's what you meant.

I'm thinking that's a mistranslation, a misquote or a simple mistake on Anno's part, all of which are very easily understandable. A much better fit for Rei is Schizoid Disorder, which is not the same thing.

Incidentally, Schizoid is a Cluster A personality disorder. It makes quite a bit of sense for the 1st child to correspond to something under Cluster A, especially in conjunction with 2nd child Asuka's Histrionic Disorder (Cluster B) and 3rd child Shinji's Avoidant Disorder (Cluster C).

Further, it's not just that they would very likely be diagnosed as such but rather than they are quite literally poster children for these disorders, to the degree that removing these issues would make their characterization unrecognizable. Thus the problems many have with their portrayals in the latest Rebuild film and why Mari, who from what little we've seen of her seems a better fit as some form of manic disorder (an axis I issue, while all the other children are on axis II), stands out.
Last edited by NemZ on Sun Jan 30, 2011 3:10 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

child of Lilith
Celestial Serendipity
Celestial Serendipity

•      
  •      

Postby child of Lilith » Sun Jan 30, 2011 1:51 am

A very interesting read.
"Let the right one in. Let the old dreams die. Let the wrong ones go. They cannot do, what you want them to do."- Morrissey, Let the Right One Slip In

"Happy people can be so cruel"- Claudia, Silent Hill 3

"everlasting, true love, I am yours"- Rule of Rose

Return to “Related Works & People”