I'm going to show Neon Genesis Evangelion

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

chiefen
Tunniel
Tunniel

I'm going to show Neon Genesis Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby chiefen » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:09 am

I'm going to show Evangelion to a friend of mine. Thing is, when we reach episode 21, should I show him the Director's Cut versions of 21-24 or the regular ones? Showing both is out of the question.
Last edited by chiefen on Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Shin-seiki
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Okay, I'm gonna show NGE (don't say EVA >_< ) to a

•      
  •      

Postby Shin-seiki » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:49 am

chiefen wrote:mine. Thing is, when we reach episode 21, should I show him the Director's Cut versions of 21-24 or the regular ones? Showing both is out of the question.
Show him the DC eps, of course, (especially if you're going to watch EoE). Most of the new material in the DC was put in for the express purpose of setting up and explicating various scenes in EoE that were seen as insufficiently 'set up' by the broadcast version.
The DC eps are the 'final' version of those episodes, and should be considered as superceding the broadcast versions in canonicity.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:58 pm

I agree with Shin-seiki; if nothing else, seeing the real-world coffee-pot scene will help reduce the confusion whern Shinji strangles Asuka for the first time.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:04 pm

For once im with shin on somthing show him the DC's
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:20 pm

But should he show him the TV endings before End Of Evangelion or not?
[Became an administrator on or before October 4th, 2007.]
May The Maths Be With You.

insight
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby insight » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:25 pm

I should probably not judge the mental capabilities of this unknown person. But I would recommend showing him EoE before the tv ending, so he doesn't shy away from watching the alternate ending after the series. My friend watched the tv ending and turned it off half-way through 26 because he got bored with it. I guess it depends on the person. I loved both endings, EoE was better IMO because it showed what was happening in much much more detail than the series.
Evangelion > Donnie Darko > Beef Jerky > Feces > Inuyasha > 4Kids

Matter = Weird

P.S. Fried Chicken is good

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:38 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:But should he show him the TV endings before End Of Evangelion or not?

Yes, TV ending first, for a variety of reasons.

1. Watching EOE first could make the TV ending seem anti-climactic.

2. You need to go into EOE with the feeling of dread you get from the glimpses of Misato's and Ritsuko's corpses in ep. 25.

3. This is the order in which the original viewers watched it.

4. It's called The End of Evangelion for a reason; it's the end of the story and should be viewed last.

Watching EOE first would be a huge mistake. If you think your friend might be one of those people who have trouble with the TV ending, just tell him in advance to stick with it, and that he'll appreciate it a lot more after he sees the movie.

Oh, and watch the director's cuts of 21-24, of course.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:57 pm

Watch the real thing. 1-26, then maybe the DCs, then maybe Death, then The End of Evangelion.

I don't like this idea of putting the DCs over the original, that's like saying that you shouldn't watch 25-26 in favor of EoE.

Watch the entirety of the series in its original format.

chiefen
Tunniel
Tunniel

^_^ \/,,

•      
  •      

Postby chiefen » Thu Oct 06, 2005 9:26 pm

ObsessiveMathsFreak wrote:But should he show him the TV endings before End Of Evangelion or not?

Dude! Not a chance that I would ever show someone EoE before ep 25-26.

The Eva Monkey wrote:Watch the real thing. 1-26, then maybe the DCs, then maybe Death, then The End of Evangelion.

I have to take in considerance that he will not be a fan att the end and thus won't want to watch four more episodes of basically the same thing he's already watched, again. That's why I'm not really sure whether I should go for DC's or the regular ones. I can only choose one.

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: ^_^ \/,,

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:23 pm

chiefen wrote:
The Eva Monkey wrote:Watch the real thing. 1-26, then maybe the DCs, then maybe Death, then The End of Evangelion.

I have to take in considerance that he will not be a fan att the end and thus won't want to watch four more episodes of basically the same thing he's already watched, again. That's why I'm not really sure whether I should go for DC's or the regular ones. I can only choose one.

In that case you really need to go for the DCs. As Shin-seiki said, all the new material is there to set up EOE, and you really miss out if you haven't seen it.

The Eva Monkey wrote:I don't like this idea of putting the DCs over the original, that's like saying that you shouldn't watch 25-26 in favor of EoE.

It's not the same thing at all! Anno wasn't happy with the quality of these episodes, so he fleshed them out with additional material, but basically they are the same episodes. EOE is all new material, and though it tells the same story with the same conclusion, it is not the same production. Plainly you need to see both renditions of the ending.

I'll never understand the fondness you and Carl Horn have for the broadcast versions of these episodes. Well like it or not, the Directors Cuts are the official version; the broadcast episodes are only on Renewal/Platinum for completeists.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Digitalex
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby Digitalex » Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:46 am

thewayneiac wrote:It's not the same thing at all! Anno wasn't happy with the quality of these episodes, so he fleshed them out with additional material, but basically they are the same episodes. EOE is all new material, and though it tells the same story with the same conclusion, it is not the same production. Plainly you need to see both renditions of the ending.

I'll never understand the fondness you and Carl Horn have for the broadcast versions of these episodes. Well like it or not, the Directors Cuts are the official version; the broadcast episodes are only on Renewal/Platinum for completeists.

I totally agree. The DC versions in my opinion supercede the broadcast versions whereas EoE / Eps 25-26 does not. DC adds missing pieces which enlightens us whereas EoE seems to repaint the entire canvas.
Alex D.

Shnooks
Israfel
Israfel

•      
  •      

Postby Shnooks » Fri Oct 07, 2005 2:38 pm

I showed my friend EoE before ep. 25-26.

Not only did she have a severe breakdown, but she didn't really understand what was going on.

I take the series as more of a...desensitization method before the movie. Showing someone EoE before seeing the series is like walking out in the snow naked.

You have no idea what just happened.

Zuggy
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Zuggy » Fri Oct 07, 2005 3:41 pm

True Shooks.

It was tricky enough figuring it out with all the background info supplied within the series.

It would be a total mindfuck-o-rama if you watched that flick without some knowledge of the series beforehand.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:18 pm

thewayneiac wrote:It's not the same thing at all! Anno wasn't happy with the quality of these episodes, so he fleshed them out with additional material, but basically they are the same episodes.

The DCs were just a money making ploy. They don't really add anything at all in my opinion, they just make a few things painfully obvious, and in some instances just make things more convoluted. I especially like the massive oversight going on during Kaworu's discussion with Seele. Not only are there too many monoliths, but they tell him that Adam is in Gendo's hand, thus creating a huge plot hole as to why he didn't go for Gendo, and became confused upon inspecting Lilith. I view the DCs as being just as divergent as the End of Evangelion. They work well with EoE, but not with EoTV.

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:17 pm

Your purism will be your undoing.

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:51 pm

How do you figure?

By the way, what happened to the title of this thread?

ObsessiveMathsFreak
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby ObsessiveMathsFreak » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:19 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:How do you figure?

I was being facetious. But I can tell you favour the original broadcasts over any revisions. It's a valid point of view. The original story should be able to be taken as a complete picture in its own right. Technically, the DC episodes and EoE do count as retconning.

It's a good question as to whether someone should even watch End Of Evangelion at all. Certainly the average anime fan proably should. But should someone who intends to watch Evangelion for its introspective and philosophical qualities even bother? If an arts student or other literary critic had heard of Evangelion, I would certainly say that the TV ending should be their primary point of study, but should they watch End Of Evangelion?

However, despite the added scenes in the DC episodes, there is much to be said for the scenes that have been revised. In paticular, the scenes involving Ritsuko in episode #23'. It's difficult to argue that one should miss out on these in favour of the original broadcasts.

Hexon.Arq
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Hexon.Arq » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:20 pm

Nothing.

_you can't do anything, so don't even try
_get some help
_don't do what sonic does

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Oct 08, 2005 4:22 pm

If you're going to watch Neon Genesis Evangelion, you should watch Neon Genesis Evangelion. And if someone is too ficle to only watch one version of it, then he's obviously not going to care enough to comprehend it anyway. So you might as well show him the real deal. And if he does get hooked, there will be more for him to explore.

Eternal Yamcha
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Eternal Yamcha » Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:28 am

thewayneiac - It's not the same thing at all! Anno wasn't happy with the quality of these episodes, so he fleshed them out with additional material, but basically they are the same episodes. EOE is all new material, and though it tells the same story with the same conclusion, it is not the same production. Plainly you need to see both renditions of the ending.

Someone correct me if I am wrong on this. But I had heard that Anno was forced into making the End of Evangelion, not that he was dissatisfied with Final Genesis (as I refer the original episodes of 25 and 26 together) but because he was still under contract.

Also, EoE doesn't have the same conclusion as Final Genesis, as far as I know. Considering Final Genesis is about Shinji coming to terms with himself and seeing that life is worth living (from what I can tell) while in EoE, Shinji chose the fate of humanity.

chiefan - Just because I prefer the original release (mainly because I haven't seen squat of the DCs) I'll say show him the original release... Especially if that's all you have been showing him. Also, show him Final Genesis first, THEN End of Evangelion... Make sure to squeeze Death and Rebirth in there somewhere... Though the second half of Death and Rebirth really doesn't need to be shown.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”