Important site and forum news, announcements, and feedback goes here.

Moderator: Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Wed Nov 10, 2010 5:22 pm

I'm just wondering if there's a way you can change it so that the little icons by each forum title don't indicate new posts if the only new posts are in a subforum... they already have their own icons to show that.
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

Re: New posts? Nope, not in the main page. Mwahahaa!

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:38 am

View Original PostNemZ wrote:I'm just wondering if there's a way you can change it so that the little icons by each forum title don't indicate new posts if the only new posts are in a subforum... they already have their own icons to show that.

I've been meaning to do something about that when the subforum changes were made to the forum code. Never got around to it because the changes involved files across almost every php file. But the change ended up being a joke. Enjoy.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:39 am

It's fixed now, then? I had been finding the previous behavior rather annoying, too. Thanks Ornette!

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:44 am

Thank you Ornette, it wasn't that big issue (for me) but surely it's better this way.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:19 am

It seems that the new posts indication has been turned off for any of the forums with sub-forums -- even if there are new posts in the top level forum as well.

So we've gone from false positives to false negatives, which is worse.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:24 am

thanks!

...unless it's all bricked again, as Tines said. hrm.
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Nov 11, 2010 2:41 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:It seems that the new posts indication has been turned off for any of the forums with sub-forums -- even if there are new posts in the top level forum as well.

So we've gone from false positives to false negatives, which is worse.

Fixed.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:21 pm

So as I was going through the forums I noticed that I kind of gotten used to the old way the new post images worked, eventhough I found it annoying. So I worked out a sort of compromise. There's that little "+" sign in the lower right corner of the main forum icon when that forum has subforums. Now, regardless of whether there are new posts in the main forum or not, that "+" sign will be orange if any subforum has new posts. This was actually a little tricky to pull off because the way the forum index code works, it actually stores zero state on whether there are new posts in previous forums or subforums as it traverses the list.

So it now should work this way:

Image = Regular forum, no new posts

Image = Regular forum, has new posts

Image = Forum with subforums, no new posts

Image = Forum with subforums, new posts only in subforums

Image = Forum with subforums, new posts only in forum

Image = Forum with subforums, new posts in forum and in subforums

The point of all of this is that I got used to looking only at the main icon to see if there are new posts (including in subforums), but I didn't want to continue getting tricked that there were actually any new posts in the main forum. So this is a relatively benign way of indicating such without getting tricked.

Let me know if there are any screw-ups.

Xard
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Xard » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:22 pm

sounds great :)

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Thu Nov 11, 2010 4:25 pm

Excellent job, gentlemen. The + thing is perfect.

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:27 pm

Ornette's hot blooded manliness strikes again.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

TehDonutKing
Camel Dilettante
Camel Dilettante

•      
  •      

Postby TehDonutKing » Wed Aug 03, 2016 7:32 am

Due to Third Impact, i'm necroing this. This has become minorly problematic again.
/hj

I said and did some dumb and hurtful things in my time here when i was younger. If i ever hurt you, i'm sorry. If you see any of this while reading old threads, i'm learning and trying to improve. Donut redemption arc in progress.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Aug 03, 2016 10:55 am

What has?

We are now running different software, so you need to describe what you think should be changed so that we can see if it's practical, and find out if others agree.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Thu Aug 04, 2016 10:00 am

It's something that's been a minor annoyance for me too.

From the main board index, where the various forums are displayed (chit-chat, discussion, off-topic, etc), whenever a thread is updated the icon to the left of the forum title turns red to indicate an unread post within that forum. However, our forum also has subforums, and any updated thread within the subforum also turns the icon red. The problem is whenever a subforum is updated (video games, for example), but the main forum has not been (off-topic); a user sees that the forum is updated, goes into off-topic, sees no new posts, and has to make one more page jump in order to get into video games to see the updated thread. In the old forum software, the red icon would only appear next to the titles of the subforums that were updated, and the icon next to the title of the main forum would remain white. This made it easy to jump straight to the page with the updated thread.

With the new icon we have, we can make it so just the inner circle turns red to indicate that a subforum has been updated while the larger circle remains white to indicate that the forum has not been.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Aug 04, 2016 12:53 pm

OIC. I'll have to look at the code to see if this is something I can deal with in the theme, or whether it needs a coding change from Monk. Give me a while (but prod me if no response happens).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Monk Ed
Sunshine Administrator
Sunshine Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Monk Ed » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:57 pm

Prod.
System Administrator
"NGE is like a perfectly improvised jazz piece. It builds on a standard and then plays off it from there, and its developments may occasionally recall what it's done before as a way of keeping the whole concatenated." -- Eva Yojimbo
"To me watching anime is not just for killing time or entertainment, it is a life style, and a healthy one too." -- symbv
"That sounds like the kind of science that makes absolutely 0 sense when you stop and think about it... I LOVE IT." -- Rosenakahara

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:59 pm

Heh!

Return to “EvaGeeks News and Feedback”