Commentary: Episode 05

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderator: Board Staff

Dr. Nick
Committeeman
Committeeman
User avatar
Age: 33
Posts: 1885
Joined: Feb 19, 2007
Location: Finland
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Dr. Nick » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:45 pm

Just revisiting some bits in this episode before moving on to episode 6. In order to make wayne's work easier, I've colored my genuine comments blue, because most of this stuff is just meta-nitpicking.

031: The last placeholder sentence in Ursus' comment needs to be updated or removed. By "it's more or less confirmed somewhere...", I suppose you're referring to Classified Information files confiming soul divisibility in Kyoko's case. The identity of Eva 00's soul has never been flat-out stated by any official source, but we can make logical inferences.


067 additional commentary: While I'm not categorically against the format of "one commentator makes a mistake and the rest set him/her straight", I think here the additional commentary drags on a bit because of it. It was already pointed out in the OP commentary that English terms such as "Angels" were put there by the show's Japanese creators, and therefore I don't think it's worthwhile to revisit that factoid here. If it's okay with Cody and wayne, I'd like to suggest shortening this segment by simply removing the fourth item on Cody's list (there would still be three items left, so I don't think this would be much of a loss in terms of argumentation):

and fourthly, and this might sound odd since I usually prefer the English dubs of animated shows, because it was something that Gainax added to the English dub of NGE for unnecessary religious symbolism -- much to the eyebrow raising of the ADR staff.


Cody, if you then edited your last comment and removed any references to the mistaken notion of ADV messing with the script, we could do away with wayne's last comment altogether and significantly streamline the entire additional commentary.


The additional commentary in cut 101 seems a little bloated to me as well, but I can't really single out any particular spot which I would prefer to see trimmed down. As a translator, I'm just going to say that Cody's comment about audience surrogates ("This also means that while adapting a work an Audience Surrogate's mannerisms have to be slightly altered to fit the cultural norms so they can do their jobs effectively.") opens up a HUGE can of worms, and the Commentary would not be a good venue for discussing that. I guess what I'm trying to say is that this is such a vast and complex topic that the commentary format doesn't really do it justice, especially since it's located terrifyingly close to the opinionated territory (wasteland, some would say) of sub/dub preferences.

171 & 259: Just a minor nitpick, but I thin we should avoid SMS-speak unless it's used for intentional stylistic reasons. We have plenty acronyms already, so I don't think we should shorten "people" to "ppl".

213: Oh dear, looks like my non-serious comment has backfired. The most reader-friendly option would probably be to nuke everything here, because I can see Kendrix's comment causing some facepalms. There's nothing wrong about discussing the rainbow motif, but I can't see why Rebuild should be forcefully shoehorned into this particular cut. If people object to complete scrubbing, then I'd like to add an additional comment after wayne: Good lord man, I wasn't being serious.

218: typo, develpoment

222: Freaky's left quotation mark is missing. Is Azathoth's twitch-joke going anywhere?

223: God, I would love to make a Kurt Vonnegut reference here, but for the life of me I cannot seem to remember which of this books contained that marvelous tirade about American culture being obsessed with panties.

284: Looks like I've lapsed into gamer-speak here. One shouldn't use the word "rape" carelessly when talking about a show that actually contains rape. Therefore, I'd like to request the editors to clean up my potty-mouth. Change the last bits to "there had to be a particularly tough enemy coming" or whatever you deem is appropriate.

290: I'd like to add my closing statement regarding that old LCL thread:

In all honesty, that is a terrible thread full of Broken English and classic ANF trolls, and I can only recommend it for the morbidly curious. If there's supposed to be some sort of consistent logic in how the LCL behaves within an entry plug, it's not elaborated enough in the show.


298: typo, episiode 4

299, @ Cody:

By the way, there's another, entirely different scene in ep 24' where the question of "magic holograms" pops up. But all in good time.


305: I think Cody's comment here is funnier if you remove the final bit ([obvious sarcasm]After all, it's not like there's still twenty episodes left in the series.[/obvious sarcasm]).

312: Broken formatting, commentator name K9Thefirst1 is not bolded.

320: Is there an empty line missing between Azathoth and Cody's comments? They seem awfully close to each other.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator
User avatar
Age: 60
Posts: 19792
Joined: Nov 23, 2004
Location: This sceptered isle.
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:14 pm

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:223: God, I would love to make a Kurt Vonnegut reference here, but for the life of me I cannot seem to remember which of this books contained that marvelous tirade about American culture being obsessed with panties.
A quick Google hints at Breakfast of Champions being a likely source.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics|G+|MAL
Avatar: Sixty years ago

thewayneiac
Committeeman
Committeeman
User avatar
Posts: 1560
Joined: Aug 26, 2004
Location: How Kaworu got to the Moon

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby thewayneiac » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:14 pm

@ Dr. Nick:

067 (and to some extent 031): I'm trying to emulate the back and forth of an actual audio commentary to some extent. I'm suspicious of efforts to make the commentary too tidy by editing comments. I have however, asked about mistakes such as quoting the wrong episode, for instance and made the correction without including my interveaning comments. On a related note, I've been thinking of asking you to turn your objection to Quiddity's Eiken comparison into an official comment. I'm uncomfortable with the way I've edited his comment, which was already there from his old partial translation.

101 (and 067): This sort of extend debate is why OMF created the hidden commentary button. He anticipated extensive back and forth about what soul is where, who shot Kaji, what did Shinji decide in Ep. 26, was Ritsuko raped, ect. So he created a way to allow it in the limited space of the commentary. Sub/dub debates are old hat, of course, but this one went beyond the regular "the voices suck" business and actually addressed a specific translation decision. I found it quite interesting and included it. The beauty is anyone who clicks on the additional comments and finds them O.T., can hide them again with a click and move on to the next cut.

Ppl and grammatical errors: Thank's nice catch. I try to catch as many of those as I can, but when I'm cutting and pasting instead of typing it myself... (of course, this doesn't excuse my own typos).

213: The Rebuild business is why I stuck it in extended comments despite it not taking up much space. I did the same with several other rebuild specific comments.

222: I'm not certain what he was getting at. I was sort of pretending I thought some specific part of Shinji was twitching.

290: Added your disclaimer and moved my comment and yours into extended commentary.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Dr. Nick
Committeeman
Committeeman
User avatar
Age: 33
Posts: 1885
Joined: Feb 19, 2007
Location: Finland
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Dr. Nick » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:38 pm

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:067 (and to some extent 031): I'm trying to emulate the back and forth of an actual audio commentary to some extent. I'm suspicious of efforts to make the commentary too tidy by editing comments. I have however, asked about mistakes such as quoting the wrong episode, for instance and made the correction without including my interveaning comments.


Fair enough. I was wondering about 067 since it's a honest mistake, but Cody wants it to remain as it is, so that's the way it'll be. And like I said, I didn't have any concrete suggestions for 101 anyway.

I'd still like to hear Ursus' opinion on 031, because it really looks like a placeholder.

On a related note, I've been thinking of asking you to turn your objection to Quiddity's Eiken comparison into an official comment. I'm uncomfortable with the way I've edited his comment, which was already there from his old partial translation.


Where was this again? The search function is giving me nothing.

thewayneiac
Committeeman
Committeeman
User avatar
Posts: 1560
Joined: Aug 26, 2004
Location: How Kaworu got to the Moon

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby thewayneiac » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:47 pm

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:Where was this again? The search function is giving me nothing.


It was Cut 218:

Quiddity originally wrote:A scene extremely similar to this happens in the absolutely horrific OVA Eiken(arguably the worst anime ever IMHO). Our weak willed male main character accidently topples over a quiet, mysterious girl, and finds his hands on her breasts. The big difference being that the girl's boobs in Eiken are about 50 times larger than Rei's. Whether this is a homage to Eva or not I can't say, after all this type of scene is quite a cliche. I'm quite surprised a high quality show like Eva stooped so low.


You commented:
218: I'd like to suggest axing this line by Quiddity: "Whether this is a homage to Eva or not I can't say, after all this type of scene is quite a cliche." Evangelion most certainly didn't invent accidental groping, and we probably want to avoid even any speculation to that effect.


I sympathized with your point and edited Quiddity's comment down to:

Quiddity wrote:This type of scene is quite a cliche. I'm quite surprised a high quality show like Eva stooped so low.


Thus Eliminating the Eiken comparison altogether.

What I've been wondering is: instead of editing his comment, should I have asked you to recast your caution that Eva didn't invent accidental groping into a official comment?
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

Dr. Nick
Committeeman
Committeeman
User avatar
Age: 33
Posts: 1885
Joined: Feb 19, 2007
Location: Finland
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Dr. Nick » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:53 pm

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:What I've been wondering is: instead of editing his comment, should I have asked you to recast your caution that Eva didn't invent accidental groping into a official comment?


No problem. If Quiddity's comment is maintained in its entirety, then my reply can simply be:

If there's nothing else to that scene, then it's certainly not a homage to anything in particular.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy
User avatar
Age: 23
Posts: 5013
Joined: Jul 27, 2010
Location: Germany
Gender: Female
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Kendrix » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:29 pm

Further notes:

003: The glasses look rather cheap for being the possesion of someone who, according to ep 21, swims in money. As Ritsuko's later comment implies, Rei most likely got her spartan ways from him.

029: Wrench it's head off? So, it's trying to kill itself/release itself from its misery? That explain the latter wallbanging, too. So, is it because being a remote-controlled cyborg is And-I-Must-Scream-levels of horrible, or some "return to Lillith" urge manifesting itself? The latter would explain why Rei was so terrified that she wouldn't go into that thing without Gendo's glasses for moral support/gives that bubble of relief when it doesn't happen again.


035: Well, they need to show it working for us to be actually shocked when it doesn't.

081: Note that Shinji shows an acute interest in the gibberish on the screen even tough he probably can't understand it. One of the first signs that he spends more time thinking about what's actually going on around him than it initially seems like. He doesn't ask or investigate because he lacks the confidence, but he does privately wonder about what he's fighting and why.

092: One of the many scenes where Evangelion portrays frequently used real life behaviors in a surprisingly natural way and analizes them. Who has never found themselves going "Oh, it's nothing..." It's schocking hopw many dialogues seem like straight out of Real Life. Watching EVA actually made me stop many such things/try to avoid them.

100: @Fireball: It's probably meant to evoke something like that, that Gendo is occupied with his works and a wolrd of secrets Shinji isn't part of.

101: Look at Ritsuko's notably uncomfortable pose here, with her hands in her lap and her knees close together. For being the one who created them and otherwise morally "hardened", Ritsuko tends to react quite strongly to the sight of Berserking EVAs. Maybe it's supposed to streghten the feeling that "Shit just got real" if even the amoral, "plastic"-looking (all the makeup, fake hair, revealing clothes etc...) science lady seems unsettled. It also shows just how much detail was put into those Characters, how they were given very distinct body shapes and body languages. You can notice so much just by watching them move around a bit.

102: This anime and it's odd fixation with sparkling water surfaces, often as seen from below.

106: Again, this anime's uncanny ability to evoke images/scenes everybody has seen... that one kid sitting at the side during PE class while everybody else is having fun and interacting because she's neither good at interacting nor at sports, the latter perhaps because of a disease. This shot immediately called up memories of authentic ppl I know in real life, in fact, I know that situation and what it feels like myself...

110: It seems like all the activities the background noises suggest are taking place in some other world, I like how Shinji is just staring there, lost in his own thoughts...

112: Was the sexy pose aimed at our dear Shin-chan? Touji certainly wasn't the intended recipient...

115: This scene, comic-relief laden as it may be, is quite important in that it shows us that the events of the previous episode really welded the boys together, to the point that they're having silly boy's conversation like friends do. By this point, Shinji is officially part of the pack.

If that line of Touji's actually is meant to poke fun at Shinji's mannerisms, note that it's done half-jokingly in a way that shows that Touji is sure he'll get its a joke, a young-male-big-mouth thing that only furtherly underline's that he "got in"

118: Of course it is like this XD

120: Mind you, judging from their expressions, you'd think they'd like to have fun with her "calves", too XD

122: This is remarkably similar to how real teens will talk about actual socially withdrawn girls. Believe me, I've witnessed it. I think this is part of what made me so attached to Rei...

123: Judging by ep 23, she is lonely, but she can't tell she is.

125: Shinji now gets that he has no clue about the closest thing he has to a comerade in arms...

126: ...and it leaves him so distraught that he just stops in the middle of the sports grounds.

144: In Misato's defense, to my experience, instant noodles can be quite tasty.

149: love the comedic noodle slurp here.

159: (first part) Ritsuko clearly disaproves of Misato's beer consumption... little scenes like these are what establish the reason/emotion // age apropiete/inapropiate contrast in our heads so much we take it for granted and make jokes about it, so that we'll be even more shocked when it all gets turned on its head.

160: By now, Shinji has officially become Misato's beer delivery boy. Note how his motion and a good part of the funny mood stop at the mention of Rei's name. It must be weird, to hear someone mention what you've been brooding about all day.

162: He immediately agrees politely. Shinji is a nice, friendly guy at heart, atfer all. (And just that is very soon going to get him yet another fangirl.)

166: Not yet, anyway XD But of course, as in any anime, that sort of teasing always aquires a grain of truth if doesn'rt already have one.

169: Ritsuko, as usual, is used as a contrast to Misato's "Childish" antics.

173: Also, another of those powerful, iconic lines and a rather original way to discribe some socially withdrawn person's barely-existance as she doesn't understand how the world around her, those invisible rules og human interactions, and even how her own heart works, with all those things that some would caracterize as what makes life worth living passing her by.
This might mislead one to think that Ritsuko is sympathetic to Rei, but that's her rational mind speaking, telling her that she shouldn't be jealous of a teenaged girl, but she's averting her eyes/lying through her teeth, as we later learn that she is not free of blame for what has been done to Rei and ultimately has an irrational hate towards the poor girl.

Title2: Don't forget the recent addition of the parachute scene. Poor Shinji, he'll never live it down, will he?

174: Ah, Anno's use of urban imaginery/aestetics. I've always loved it. Probably, you get to like what you're used to seeing when you're a kid - I spent the first four or five years of my life in such a building, and I could never find any beauty in any sort of natural landscape.
I've heard that Anno grew up in an industrial town, explaining why he uses that sort aestetics a lot.
Probably, the same is true for Rei who grew up in a lab. An aspect that is often forgotten by fans/fanfic writers is that a) the place is abandoned, so no chance of anyone mugging Rei. b) It's eternal summer, so bye bye "Broken Heater" plot-bunny. c) Episiode 23 pretty much implies that she lives there by choice because she, much like many other people, prefers a living space that is similar to her "home". Ppl tend to find it odd when someone else likes things made of concrete - I can spend hours gushing about fournaces or industrial buildings most ppl would just call "ugly", so, this sort of thing exists, even in "normal" people.
That sort of buildings didn't always say "designated poorhouse": A few years ago, those were "cool and modern" because of the cheap, "technological" way they could be built. The communist world, in particular, used to be fond of those, to the point that high-ranking diplomats would be given the "privilege" of living in those.

As for why those buildings are these and why they're being demolished, I allways assumed that they were built after Second Impact when lots of people lost their homes and cheap living space was needed. So, reconstruction became a wave of concrete, untill peoples' financial situations began to improve and they could afford "prettier" houses, leaving these appartments deserted with Rei as their only resident.
They're probably being demolished simply because they're not needed anymore, Tokyo 3 is half empty anyway and most ppl who remain probably do so because they're paid high enough to afford better housing than that...

I always found this particular location/setting to be a brilliant work of art, after all, the house one lives in is an integral part of someone's personal world and says quite a lot about its owner/ can be an efficient tool of characterization.
Of course, a stark grey, artificial location with "technological" background noises is the perfect environment for an unhappy artificial girl.
Also, the way the many identical houses fade into the distance evokes the one shot from episode 14 and the idea of "clones" in general, a percieved "lack of uniqueness".
Furtherly, the fact that she lives in an "abandoned" part of the city, a sort of mini "ghost town" reinforces her assotiation with being a "faded afterimmage of the past"
The demolition noises make for an eerie, recognizable background noise, lampshade the constant presence of death and decay in Rei's personal world and again showcase that she just accepts things that any other human being would complain about, either because she'd be used to machine noises from Nerv HQ, or because she simply wouldn't find her own comfort or discomfort relevant.

175: It's all in a state of decay because it hasn't been mantained properly. Sort of like Rei. Or that constantly decaying body of hers.
But that also makes it like something out of a surreal dream, a place where the usual rules don't apply because there's no one there to enforce them... technically, you could just walk in all of the empty buildings and sit on the dusty furniture...


176: More images of decay and "oddness", there isn't even glass in that windows, and that pale light shines through the building...

177: A plate which Shinji probably checked twice or thrice to make sure he was in the right place... does "rough letters" impliy some equivalent of block letters or some printed-out thing, something that would make a name plate that's supposed to be an indentity tag somewhat un-personal?

178: The unorthodox camera angle here (from above) just helps to accentuate that "detached" feeling.

179: It's cheap, it doesn't work, and Rei doesn't seem to mind. All those little things telling you of her astonishing lack of discomfort with what others would discribe as unbearable living arangents. "She only has the bare minimim of what she needs to have", as Anno puts it. "Conditioned to accept horror" being big keywords here.
People like Asuka, Ritsuko or her haters might be creeped out by the apparent way she doesn't seem to want more, while Shinji and her fans find her inability to understand or express these very existent desires (see ep 23) woobietastic.

181: Again an odd angle, the room is shown from the inside, giving the audience the feeling to be standing inside its darkness... Another sighn of Rei's lack of concern for her own person: The front door isn't locked. You lock stuff away because there is something valuable inside, but Rei doesn't consider herself or her possesions all too valuable. ('cept for Gendo's broken glasses, but who'd steal those?)Technically, she doesn't have much of a reason to, since she has nothing worth stealing and the place is deserted/no one comes anyway, except herself and maybe Nerv-Security, who are supposed to get in, but it just contradicts that Cave-man instinct to have a safe shelter, doesn't it?

And then, there's the full mailbox, she doesn't seem to bother throwing it away, again going against the instinct that you generally don't like having garbage lying around you, but in a way, leaving it there is just as good as getting a trashcan and stuffing it into it/ if it's trash, why devote time to disposing of it? It also shows how she's barely involved in "worldly" things.
I suppose most of it is advertizing, paperwork or perhaps school stuff, I'm sure there's one or the other invitation lying around there, things Rei would consider trivial to her purpose... She goes to Nerv HQ every few days, so there wouldn't be a need for them to write her letters about anything vital...

185: Like the art here, the interplay of light and shades of gray. It shows us that the inside of this place is *dark*. They didn't really have the technology to bring it across at the time, but when I saw the first rebuild movie with all its shading technology and shiny graphix, I was astonished to realize just how dark this place is, and how the remaining light serves as meaningful-looking accentuation. She really doesn't let any daylight in there... I guess her lab didn't have any daylight, either.
She would probably feel uncomrtable living in a well-lit place, or at least take some time to get used to it, tough she certainly wouldn't voice any complaints... Also, look how the kitchen is drawn in the same generic color as the background, which sort of makes it fade into it... it doesn#t really look used/lived in.

186: The inconmplete lamp only confirms that she doesn't have much of a desire for light, nor for aesthetics (no covering, no interest in cleaning away the soot... it looks rather like that black tarp in her lab room next to what probably used to be her bed...) Also, who has that sort of light tubes in their homes? That sort of lighthing is more reminescent of cellars, hospitals or un-personal, public places... and yes, labs.
As for the source of the soot, it kinda looks like what accomulates over a heating after many years, with the lack of light making it look worse than it is... When we repainted a few rooms in our house, I noticed that the wall is allways dirtier above the heating. Not sure if there's even a heating beneath it, tough. Might've been any sort of domestic accident.

187: The chair is cheap plastic (again, the "bare minimum"), Rei seems to think that a cardboard box makes for acceptable furniture (it might have been lying around and used for various purposes since she moved in there...) and the metal bars of the bed look cold/hospital-like, again stressing the un-personal look of it all...
Note, however, the reading lamp there. As we see later, Rei likes to relay lying on her bed, and she also likes reading, so that lamp, metal and undecorative as it may be, could be considered something of a personal touch, and is a sort of thing a "normal" introverted girl would have on her bed.

Little goof here: Those blood stains (and those in the next shot) ought to be brown by now, tough. I think Rebuild fixed that, tough. Then again, I get the need to make sure the audience gets it's blood and the charm of red on white. The bedsheets aren't that messy, but not particularly tidy either... The blood probably stems from when she still wore those bandages around her head, probably those head injuries reopened a few times in her sleep and she didn't bother changing the pillow's cover...
Then again, she has one without stains by the next time we see her room, and ep 14 suggests that the scent of blood is one of the things that do bother her, so maybe the stains are fresh and the poor girl has recently been coughing blood or something like that... it would make sense for her to have some lung problems after having boiling LCL in her respiratory ducts.
Heck, even the former theory would suggest that those injuries have been healing rather slowly/badly. Then again, she might just not give "disposing of things she dislikes" an all-too high priority.
The little pillow itself does have a colored pattern on it (Even if they're faded, wan colors) and would probably look almost cute without the blood on it, so, just like the lamp, it can be classified as a "personal" item of sorts, an indication that little Rei has a personality, but didn't get the proper input/environment to develop it.

That uniform there is less of a mystery as it has probably just been put there when she picked what to wear after shovering, but our (un)fortunate protagonist doen't know that yet.
Someone (I think it was Sadamoto?) commented on how they gave Rei black socks because they were considered unfashionable at he time, since it would have felt "silly" to dress the characters in what was "in" at the time/ because it's okay for someone like Rei to wear such things, indicating that she, like real life socially withdrawn girls, is unaware of fashion and the like (tough her Real world counterparts usually posses more private clothing than just socks), but that nuance was soon lost on the audience because black socks apparently became a hit after EVA aired...

188: Those bandages are presumably the ones she wore and discarded over the past few weeks... again, it looks like those wounds were a pain in the rectrum/healed badly/slowy. Note the uniused bandages up there and, of course, the famous pills, another indication that our poor Rei isn't exactly at prime health... I'd guess some are for various temporary problems and others are to keep her from falling appart EoE style before its time for Gendo to "activate" her. After all, she is a half-human hybrid and a homunculus, the pills probably compensate for incompatibilities between SoL and human biology and the imperfectios of the cloning process. I wouldn't be surprised if Rei spent half her screentime in constant pain or discomfort, her Japanese voice actress makes her sound like she could faint at any given moment.
She probably lets that filled beaker stand there so the place looks more like a lab.
Those cans and the bag indicate that she does eat regular food/ buy it herself, tough presumably nothing too sophisticated, maybe that's some vitamin-shake like stuff that has all the nutrients but tastes like paper.

190: And now, the full view to let it all sink in... the silver lining is, it seems that she does wash her clothing (and, as we'll soon see, herself) since some of it is hung out to dry here.



197: "...appears a little surprised, too." Somehow, that made me laugh out loud.

205: Notice the dirt on Shinji's socks. That's one of the things I love about EVA, tey do give quite some thought to detail.

207: Because clearly, the entire experience just wasn't humilating enough yet.

215: Look where his knee ended up.

220: The way the shadown on her breats are drawn/ animated here always strikes me as both surprisingly realistic and arousing.

@ other posts: If anything, this very episode should prove that was never anything close to emotionless, but a kuudere to begin with. After all, we see her display surprise, more surprise irritation, anger/loyalty, fear and clinging to something for comfort, delight and relief.

226: I'm in awe at the level of detail and realism in such everday movements, how you see those lines on her back move.


240: Here, we are provided with the insighful information that theay actually do ride a train together from time to time, and as ep 22' shows us, they came to talk to each other while doing so after their relationship had progressed a bit more. Bits and pieces from that could've made it in those visions of his. There is just something about the way he keeps observing her from the distance...
(Which isn't stalking since he isn't following her or anything, they just happen to have the same way)



(So, and now, let's move on to ep 1, after all, I was the one who kept bugging you gys for it)
Make Clone Love Not Clone War

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject
User avatar
Age: 26
Posts: 2750
Joined: Jun 16, 2010
Location: Canberra
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby EvangelionFan » Tue Oct 30, 2012 12:33 am

I re-read the Episode 05 Commentary today, and I'd like to offer some corrections to the contributions I made.

Lines I have corrected are coloured in Green
Lines in Red I would like removed from the commentary.
Comments are in Italics


SPOILER: Show
View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:Scene 01

009: Although Ritsuko is conducting the experiment, Gendo is standing closest to Unit-00 - an early sign of his interest in its pilot, Rei Ayanami.

033: In the strong delivery of this line, we're shown a side of Ritsuko that won't become clear until later in the series.

Shortened it, but still allows for thewayneiac's response.


052: A fine example of Gendo's resolve: even if it burns his hands, he's still going to do it.



View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:Scene 02

060 (2): In Episodes 06, 11 and 12, Unit-00 shows signs of functioning normally with Rei as its pilot. It is when Shinji is tested in Unit-00 that it malfunctions a second time and attempts to attack Rei. It's a feeling I've only gotten from looking at the cut in the commentary, as I recall feeling nothing from the scene otherwise.


View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:061: I feel this is one of the more interesting uses of religious imagery in the series: a cross has been jammed into the entry plug port of the Evangelion, as if it were a stake into the point where pilots synchronise with the core.


Scene 03

137: Shinji's expression here is halfway between "What why he is talking to her like that?" and "I wish she would come up to me like that fap fap fap"

It may be under 'additional commentary' but I'd rather not have it there at all


Scene 05
219: The only time in this scene when Shinji blushes is when he realises his hand has been on Rei's breast. Once he removes it, the blush is gone and the nervous lines from earlier return.

Removing the comment about R/S Shippers


Scene 08
313: This is one of my favourite cuts in the series. The way that building just melts with Ramiel's super-beam is well done.




Note that none of these submissions are new.
Be very, very quiet - I'm back.
Avatar: Wakaba Shinohara

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy
User avatar
Age: 23
Posts: 5013
Joined: Jul 27, 2010
Location: Germany
Gender: Female
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Kendrix » Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:34 am

075:His reaction here is probably either due to being briefly reminded of the rather traumatizing battle, or because sudden praise confuses him as to how things stand with their opinion of his performance in that battle, given his earlier insubordination and the ensuing arguments. Not to mention that he probably didn't spend a second considering wether the angel would make for a good research sample after he was done with it.

076: It's also another instance of that tendency for many of significant number in the EVA-Verse to be three-digit numbers with a 0 in the middle: 601, 402, 303, 707, 108 (the latter having its own connotations) ... it's just nice to have consistent aesthetics.
Make Clone Love Not Clone War

Quiddity
Lilith
Posts: 132
Joined: Jun 21, 2004
Location: Boston, MA
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Quiddity » Wed Sep 11, 2013 7:09 pm

*gasp* at discovering my years old comments have been edited. I'm surprised I would consider whether that was an Eva homage or not, that isn't like me at all. :lol:
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel
User avatar
Age: 33
Posts: 406
Joined: Jun 13, 2009
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby ath » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:37 pm

View Original PostQuiddity wrote:*gasp* at discovering my years old comments have been edited. I'm surprised I would consider whether that was an Eva homage or not, that isn't like me at all. :lol:

Welcome back! I'm sorry we haven't used your translation of #19 yet, unfortunately we're still stuck at the same point (#06) we were back in 2011. We do have a transcription of #07, if you're interested...

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy
User avatar
Age: 23
Posts: 5013
Joined: Jul 27, 2010
Location: Germany
Gender: Female
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Kendrix » Fri Sep 13, 2013 10:15 am

Oh. Motion.
Please keep going.
Maybe at this rate, we might get the ep 1 stuff edited in, start with eps 2, or even *gasp* advance to 7...

Either way, I'm proud to see that al least half of it is already translated :)
Make Clone Love Not Clone War

Quiddity
Lilith
Posts: 132
Joined: Jun 21, 2004
Location: Boston, MA
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Quiddity » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:18 pm

View Original Postath wrote:Welcome back! I'm sorry we haven't used your translation of #19 yet, unfortunately we're still stuck at the same point (#06) we were back in 2011. We do have a transcription of #07, if you're interested...


Doesn't dissuade my confidence in the fact that this project will be finished someday (granted, I'm expecting around 2060). :lol:

I wouldn't mind taking a stab at the remains of episode 7 if that's where you are. Is that as far as things have gone translation-wise? Working on my Japanese studies again after a several year absence and wouldn't mind the practice. Just don't expect it to be swift.
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

ath
Clockiel
Clockiel
User avatar
Age: 33
Posts: 406
Joined: Jun 13, 2009
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby ath » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:27 pm

View Original PostQuiddity wrote:I wouldn't mind taking a stab at the remains of episode 7 if that's where you are. Is that as far as things have gone translation-wise?

Officially, yes, we're still stuck at #07. To be honest, I prepared a translation of the whole of #07 while I was studying a little of Japanese in my free time last year, but it's horrifically bad.
I spent last month transcribing and translating most of #25 (it's my favourite episode after all) and I'm somewhat more confident in it. My plan was to complete #25 and some of my other favourite scenes in the show before trying again #07, but if you're interested I can try to clean up my older work before doing that. Just keep in mind I'm still around beginner level.

If you take a look at #07 right now, keep in mind that the transcription on the Wiki is full of errors I've later fixed in my working copy. I'll upload it shortly.

View Original PostQuiddity wrote:Just don't expect it to be swift.

Heh. I think nobody around here expects anything concerning the FGC to be done quickly. Especially those of us with with a full-time job...

Quiddity
Lilith
Posts: 132
Joined: Jun 21, 2004
Location: Boston, MA
Gender: Male

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Quiddity » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:54 pm

I looked over my records and did a partial translation of it many years ago, around the time I was working on episodes 3 and 4 which eventually did get out on the FGC. I'll probably redo what I had done thus far since its been so many years.
"Quiddity is the sea. And in it are islands, called the Ephemeris. Three dips in the dream-sea. Any less, and we'd be insane. Any more and we wouldn't be human"

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy
User avatar
Age: 23
Posts: 5013
Joined: Jul 27, 2010
Location: Germany
Gender: Female
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Kendrix » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:55 pm

View Original PostQuiddity wrote:Working on my Japanese studies again after a several year absence and wouldn't mind the practice. Just don't expect it to be swift.
7

Oh, please do, I'll gladly wait ~~

*happy happy smiley face*
*already thinking about which deep thoughts to contribute to episodes 2 and 7*
Make Clone Love Not Clone War

Sephizim
Sachiel
User avatar
Age: 28
Posts: 208
Joined: Aug 21, 2011
Gender: Male
Contact:

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Sephizim » Fri Jan 24, 2014 11:33 pm

I actually started writing these over a year ago, and never finished them until now. Oh well, better late than never.

SPOILER: Show
003: While part of my thoughts here are best left for episode 21, Gendo's eyesight needs are curious. His newer glasses strike me as being more sunglasses than something he needs in order to see. These glasses are more appropriate for eyesight, whereas I can't think of how Gendo can see a damned thing with those tinted glasses. Form vs. function, perhaps?

006: One has to wonder if there was any practical reason for the different colorings of the EVAs. I'd love to know what was going on in the heads of the people who designed them. That goes for the show creators as well as the in-show NERV development team.

032: It's likely that Gendo doesn't move because he's almost in a state of disbelief/incomprehension. Like, it wouldn't even occur to him that Unit-00 would lash out at him, what with how he has always treated Rei and all. Hard to say if Unit-00 is directly attacking Gendo, or just lashing out because "Oh god I'm a little girl's soul trapped in a giant robot, DO NOT WANT."

050: Those glasses must not have really fit Gendo all that well to fly off like that. Its possible, I guess, but usually it takes a blow to the head of some sort to dislodge glasses, not from recoiling in pain (I speak from experience). However, plot demands that glasses fly off, and I guess it really doesn't break the suspension of disbelief all that much. After all, if we've accepted giant Freudian robot moms, I guess we can accept spring-loaded glasses.

052: The man will do anything to hold onto his last bastion of Yui. Hell, he knows how easily Rei can be replaced, but he clearly does not care. The less times Rei has to die, the better. I used to think he was overreacting here, knowing about the Rei clones, but thinking about it now, it makes sense. Just look at how dedicated he is to bringing Yui back. Of course he'd protect his living memento of her with all his strength. He has his priorities, to be sure. Now, if only his son was higher up on that list...

053: I don't know if I ever really noticed this before. They really are dropping us a lot of hints early on, aren't they?

056: His treatment of Rei in episode 1 was definitely geared towards getting Shinji to pilot. He knew once called in Rei that Shinji would do it. He wouldn't have called Rei in if there was any doubt in his mind that she'd be unharmed. It still fits with his character.

072: This would indeed seem to be the first occurrence of what will be a theme that slowly builds every few episodes. Now that Shinji has a moment to step back and actually think about it for a second, Shinji is beginning to wonder to himself what these things he's fighting actually are.

082: More Shinji development. This episode comes hot on the heels of his attempt to run away (judging by how fresh Shamshel still is, this is probably the very next day, or at most a week later). What we're seeing now is Shinji beginning to accept his job, and come to terms with it in his own way. Contrast to the opening of episode 3. While he hasn't completely opened up by any means, he's taking an active interest in all this. He knows he won't understand a bit of what's on that screen, but that nagging question of what exactly he's fighting compels him to look. Of course, just then, the real enemy passes by...

085: This would almost be a repeat of the elevator scene from episode 2, but of course, Shinji's genuine curiosity about things relating to his father get the best of him. He lets his guard down, which he'll have to deal with in a few shots.

089: "I certainly wasn't taking a genuine interest in my father, and now cursing the fact that my genuine interest has led to a moment where my facade of complete indifference to my father has been challenged!"

091: "Uh oh, my obvious lie has been discovered. Maybe I should have come up with something better than denying I was doing anything."

093: He'd rather not hear any more about it, so he figures if he fesses up now, he won't have to deal with it much longer.

099: "A chance to learn about the two most mysterious yet captivating people in my life all at once? Oh boy!"

101: Before, Shinji just thought his dad placed his work above people in general. But now there is a person he is willing to risk his safety for? One Shinji knows absolutely nothing about? And so begins his obsession with Ayanami, that only continues to grow during the episode.

122: And, by extension, what makes her so different from him that causes her to gain his father's attention while he does not. Here, for the first time, Shinji is really trying to pay attention to and figure out Rei.

126: He actually has to take a few moments to re-assess the situation. He was thinking of it in terms of why his father favors Rei. But he hadn't yet thought of the idea of talking to Rei herself about it. Which is when he realizes that they haven't talked, really.

129: Even taking the track into account, the pylons still look longer than they should. Maybe its an optical illusion?

132: This is essentially a continuation of Shinji's action from the previous scene. Trying to gain information on Rei by watching her. Despite Toji and Kensuke's remarks from earlier, Shinji still isn't exactly savvy to how this observation comes across to others (though he'll find out soon enough).

133: Its almost out-of-character how excited she seems here. I can't even imagine what her voice would sound with such a big smile on her face. I get that the point is that she is supposed to come across looking completely different than she normally does, but it doesn't even seem to match her future interactions with Gendo throughout the series.

140: I love this shot. Shinji just realized that this whole thing is a lot more complicated than he could have even imagined.

151: The silliness of the sound effect for Penpen retreating should feel out of place in this show, but it makes me smile every time, so I really can't say anything against it.

154: Looks like the drugs finally kicked in.

157: Little steps for Shinji. He seems comfortable living with Misato (and comfortable talking to Ristsuko, too!) but we'll revisit his attitude about Misato's antics in episode 7.

165: Now Shinji learns that maybe he shouldn't stare so lingeringly at people like that. At school, he could use the excuse that a bunch of guys were peeping, and in the entry plug, no one could see him. Now he has to actually account for his actions. Makes an interesting parallel to the scene earlier when he was looking at Gendo's hands.

169: Misato asserts he has a crush on Rei. Shinji denies it, all the while wondering if maybe its true. But pride is a silly thing, and Shinji doesn't let people in. He's trying to stay somewhat aloof, because the last thing he wants is to be teased, even if its good-natured.

170: Now that he takes a few seconds to get over the initial embarrassment, he decides to let them in for a little bit of insight to his thoughts. Really, attraction to Rei non-withstanding, he's mostly motivated out of a desire to get to know her. His initial curiosity has developed over the course of one day. If only he knew what tomorrow has in store!

171: In providing a connection to Rei and Gendo, she is also unknowingly reinforcing the idea of a bond between them in Shinji's mind. Which is funny, if her saying this does indeed stem from jealousy.

194: It does seem rather inexplicable, yeah, for him to just suddenly try them on. Everyone has their quirks. If anything, its probably an extension of the question he just asked. If these are Rei's, how bad is her eyesight that every time he sees her, she isn't wearing them? His next logical conclusion might be that they're reading glasses. One would think he crack in them would indicate they aren't being used, but given everything Shinji has seen of Rei's living conditions, it wouldn't be too far-fetched.

198: How cute, his first boner.

204: Seriously, the only reason he might pitch forward would be an attempt to rebalance himself from falling backwards, but he overcompensates waaaaaaaaaay too much. At the last moment, he's simply hoping to steady himself on Rei. Of course, Rei doesn't expect that, and you know the rest.

222: Even though he seems to be savoring the feeling, his expression shows just how unsettled he is, from her lack of reaction, from the embarrassment from the whole thing, or both.

225: Shinji is, after all, a 14-year-old boy. He has no idea when an opportunity like this is going to pop up again. (Oh, if only he knew).

233: The big question here is: If she has a case to keep them in, why were they out of the case in the first place?

234: Its such a subtle smile, its drawn just so perfectly.

236: A fantastic sequence, if for no other reason than it really subverts expectations. It is challenging (almost mocking) the idea of fanservice. Shinji, on top of a naked girl, fondling her breast, with all of her underwear strewn about, but the intention of this scene is not to make the audience aroused, but uncomfortable. No wacky music, no over-the-top reactions (at least not on Rei's part), just silence, save for the construction sounds (which actually stop for a few seconds, only to resume at cut 210, to really make them stand out). This is Anno's way of criticizing typical fanservice in anime, while disguising it as the kind of fanservice you would expect for a shounen series like this. Of course, that doesn't stop a lot of people from still finding the scene arousing, but oh well.

239: Damned if he's going to let her out of sight before getting something that even resembles a normal reaction out of her. Hell, even being punished for it would be enough closure in his mind than for her to just say nothing at all. Also, he still has to give her that stupid card.

246: In his mind, that was kind of a reaction from her, but not enough. He just doesn't know when to leave well enough alone. (Also, he still can't tell if she hates him or not, and its nagging at him way too much).

247: It always bugs me that the one on the left moves much more quickly that the one on the right. Its probably with how the shot pans downward, but it still doesn't seem even.

255: Welp. As far as he's concerned, that's probably as much closure as he's going to get. Even one as socially inept as Shinji gets the message to back off at this point.

282: Well, of course nothing bad was going to happen this time. None of the variations of the track E-5 were playing in this scene, after all.

311: Poor kid. He's finally back in an EVA again and seems to be pretty okay about fighting an Angel again. This little looks of confusion right before getting blasted breaks my heart.

Preview (15-second):

02: Spoiler alert!

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and the End
The Beginning and the End
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 8597
Joined: Jun 28, 2007
Location: Visiting forum at random

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby UrsusArctos » Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:00 pm

076: The circuit board imagery looks almost like it came out of Ghost in the Shell.

129(Old): Eva-00 has pylons in the econte. Interesting.

186: Fluorescent lighting is more common in Asia than North America. A burning electrical appliance at the corner could explain the soot stains. The implication could be that Rei is so bad at living she doesn't care if one of her few possessions is on fire.

234: When animated it looks more like a smile. It's slightly creepy, as though showing her possessiveness - indeed, those glasses are the only thing in the world Rei is glad to possess.

240: If Rei had simply been walking too quickly for Shinji to catch up, this would be where Shinji would give her the card. That he doesn't highlights his social awkwardness even more than following Rei across the city does.
[Became a moderator on December 31st, 2007. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX.
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

mechashiva
Tunniel
User avatar
Age: 27
Posts: 181
Joined: Oct 22, 2014
Location: United States
Gender: Female

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby mechashiva » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:37 pm

I know its kind of late but I wanted to add something I noticed re-watching the episode

057: The point has been made that Gendo's glasses are a barrier between him and others: his own personal AT field especially when they take on that orange glow. Gendo very well may have been playing up his concern for the other NERV personnel (and Ritsuko) but it seems he may have been caught up in the heat of the moment and was genuinely worried about Rei's safety. The whole episode plays with this idea of exploring Rei and Gendo's dynamic but the glasses shattering shows that for that moment, Gendo felt vulnerable and felt concerned for Rei. Almost a chink in his armor. Does that make sense?
"Every child is an artist, the problem is staying an artist when you grow up."-Pablo Picasso

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and the End
The Beginning and the End
User avatar
Age: 29
Posts: 8597
Joined: Jun 28, 2007
Location: Visiting forum at random

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby UrsusArctos » Wed Jan 28, 2015 2:50 pm

I added that to cut 050 under "Additional Commentary" because it tied in much better with Freaky's comment about Gendo's glasses/AT field falling off than with the discussion in 057.
[Became a moderator on December 31st, 2007. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX.
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster


Return to “The Editorium”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests