Commentary: Episode 05

For discussion of and submissions for the EvaGeeks Wiki and Commentary. Open to all posters.

Moderators: UrsusArctos, Board Staff

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Commentary: Episode 05

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:26 am

After 5+ long years we are proud to announce the return of the Fan Geeks Commentary. As with the original, commentators will not be able to edit the commentary directly. Post your episode 05 comments in this thread, and the best will be selected by the editors for inclusion in the commentary. No one will have all of his comments make the cut, but I'm sure that all of you will get fair representation.

Link:

http://wiki.evageeks.org/FGC:Episode_05

Be sure to index your comments by the cut #, or we won't know where it goes.

Example:

032: As in Episode 01, Gendo seems to have supreme confidence in his shatterproof glass.

Have fun. This is also a great place for dissenters to make their voices heard.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Oct 31, 2010 12:02 pm

Right-O. Just to toss out a few:

EDIT: Made a few changes.

003: Gendo looks strangely nerdish with those old glasses.

008: The organ list on the Eva. Complete with "Farandolae".

009: Gendo looks suitably sinister- compare with cut 003, which actually made him look nerdish.

015: We keep hearing this each time an Eva goes berserk.

022: Was the Eva trying to get her helmet off?

032: Is that glass or some sort of plastic? As far as I know, that sort of glass crumbles into little grains when it shatters instead of turning into (potentially dangerous) shards.

039: Rei's lucky the rockets didn't explode from the heat of their own fiery exhaust.

052: How the galaxy does he manage to hold on with his hands smoking?

077: I think Shinji's too confused to say anything.

132: Rei tends to stretch her arms out when running or jumping, so her body forms a cross, in effect. We see this in Episode 11 when she jumps down from the vent and again with Eva-00 in the Sahaquiel run.

135: She looks positively delighted here. No wonder Shinji's flummoxed.

152: He should have avoided the curry and eaten whatever little rice lay exposed.

173: Ritsuko really seems sympathetic to Rei (and Gendo) at this juncture. And that line probably says a lot about Gendo's own living conditions. Well, maybe not as squalid as Rei's apartment, but I'm sure it's no more inviting.

182: Taking off your footwear when you enter is common across nearly all East Asian cultures. On the practical side, walking into a house with footwear brings in dust and dirt from the outside. And there's the issue of footwear being made of animal products (ritually impure).

188: The whole room must have been reeking of dried blood. I'm surprised Shinji didn't put his hand over his mouth and run for it.

200: Surprises me that she even bothered to wear bath slippers. Or was it just so that they didn't need to animate her toes?

204: In the second-last image it looks like Rei was about to cuff Shinji before he fell on her.

277: Well, well...jealous of Rei already?

292: Good old Ramiel, who auditioned for the part of the Death Star in Star Wars but was turned down due to her habit of bursting into song whenever she moved. Not to worry, unless you've an Eva, since she's big, tough, and armed with the power of SCIENCE! She's got an internal nuclear reactor and creepy howling. What more could you ask from an Angel?

303: Ramiel: "Soon you shall witness the power of this fully operational battle station!"

305: "Inner Torus Reactor". Ramiel seems to use a Tokamak Reactor to generate her death beam. This is probably the only time we go behind the scenes to see the (pseudo-)science behind an Angel's destructive power. This made Ramiel my favorite Angel, straight out. ::P

310: Dodge where? The Eva is still bolted to the launch rails!

317: This is one of those rare scenes in the English dub where Spike Spencer actually did a good job screaming.
Last edited by UrsusArctos on Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:40 pm

Were we going to re-open 1-4 for newer members who have joined in the interim?

003 -- and the episode starts off with another of those scenes where you have to notice the little details.

035 -- treasure this moment : we don't see the entry plug being so cooperative in later crises.

056 -- So Gendo isn't the flint hearted bastard he's seemed up to now, despite his callous use of Rei back in episode 1 cut 248.

Title 1 -- so we might actually find out about this mystery girl who has been there on the periphery of Shinji's life since being called to Tokyo-3

071 -- perhaps some form of hazmat containment : or conversely keeping casual contamination with normal stuff away from the Angel. 074 would lean towards the former.

137 -- The first time when someone looks on jealously at Rei and Gendo getting along in a friendly and informal fashion.

168 -- first Kensuke and Touji; now Misato. Everyone's trying to pair them off.

171 -- There's a gaucheness to Ritsuko's behaviour in this whole scene (not just this cut), as if in describing Rei, the old jibe "it takes one to know one" applies. Perhaps she is trying to match-make as well.

182 -- the state of cleanliness of the floor doesn't look good. I think Shinji's socks will get the worse of the encounter.

190 -- Rei manages the feat of having spartan quarters that are more squalid than Misato's apartment was back when we first saw it

193 -- these glasses are the only things in the whole place that might be considered frivolous (rather than utilitarian or refuse).

217 -- Shinji so wants to hang his head in shame, but at the same time knows that that action would land him in a world of hurt.

222 -- Damn right he is committing that to long-term memory.

254 -- Rei Ayanami is, of course, an emotionless doll

289 -- do we ever see this lightshow again in the entry plug?

290 -- Rei's sigh of relief here is one of the few times that the LCL is actually shown as liquid

PV -- interesting to note that the iconic Rei and the moon is lost in the second version
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

KnightmareX13
Seepage Murid
Seepage Murid

•      
  •      

Postby KnightmareX13 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:14 pm

012-- It's alive!

022--Maybe Unit 00 has a intense headache, or has an itch that can't be scratched with the helmet on.

024--I wonder what Ritsuko uses on her hands to make them tough enough to not get damaged by glass shards?

081--Misato actually seems to understand what the data means, maybe she is smarter than we are led to believe.

152--It's an intelligence test: option 1 is to drink the beer and then eat Misato's cooking, option 2 is eat the food and then drink the beer...

154--...and Pen Pen fails the test; option one is the safer choice, by getting drunk Pen Pen's senses will be dulled, making the food taste less horrible.

172--Awkward in bed, is that what you are going to say Ritsuko?

173--Oh, that was a let down.

265--Is it really such a good idea to have NERV's commander and vice-commander present at the reactivation test?
Last edited by KnightmareX13 on Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:08 pm, edited 4 times in total.
"This is for the record. History is written by the victor. History is filled with liars. If he lives, and we die, his truth becomes written - and ours is lost..." -- Cpt. Price
"Damn the torpedoes" -- ADM Farragut
"I have not yet begun to fight!" -- Cpt. John Paul Jones
"Don't be alarmed, we're taking over the ship" -- Cpt. Jack Sparrow
Napalm Sticks to kids ♣ Λ

Logan Payne
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby Logan Payne » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:18 pm

SSD pointed out to me that the episode doesn't link to the preview. Is this intentional?

32: Gendo seems to be trying to maintain his icy calm demeanor but once the glass shatters even he is afraid.

43: A genuine emotional response from Commander Ikari.

133: I could never tell if she was pointing to something with her thumb or just holding it there.

178: I always find the demolition noises to be especially nerve wracking.

251: "Can you show me the nookie?"

320: I would imagine this would be an indescribable amount of pain. He has LCL in his lungs and we're led to believe it's starting to boil.

Seele00TextOnly
Phospholipid Bilayer
Phospholipid Bilayer

•      
  •      

Postby Seele00TextOnly » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:28 pm

Last edited by Seele00TextOnly on Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:03 pm

That's the format of the script itself, Seele. You'll get used to it in a while. :smirk:
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:57 pm

Scene 01
003: Although it was already hinted at in Episodes 01 and 02 that Unit-00's activation experiment had a hiccup, this first cut showing Gendo Ikari wearing a different set of glasses and without his white gloves is clever in the sense that we're immediately told Ikari-san will undertake an action that leads to the destruction of this earlier set of glasses.

009: Another instance of clever framing: although Ritsuko is technically conducting the experiment, Gendo is standing closest to Unit-00 - an early sign of his interest not in Unit 00, but in its pilot Rei Ayanami.

033: It's a weak line on the surfance, but in its excellent delivery matching Ritsuko's pained face we're shown a side of her that won't become clearer until much later in the series.

043: One of the few times that Gendo actually has a care about anything.

049: Why yes Ikari-san, the entry plug emergency valve is steaming hot. Looks like you'll have to wear white gloves from now on - but hey, at least they'll prove useful later on.

052: A fine example of Ikari-kun's resolve: even if it burns his goddamn hands, he's still going to do it.

055: Wasn't Rei's right eye bandaged over in Episodes 01-04? Shouldn't it be bleeding or something here?

Scene 02
059: I always liked the look of cuts 059-064, I love how it sets up a false sense of security for Episode 14...

061: Surprise! It's a cross! ... okay, I should be used to the religious imagery by now, but this is probably one of the most interesting uses of religious imagery in the entire series: a cross has been jammed into the entry plug port of the Evangelion, as if it were a stake into the point where pilots synchronise with the core.

086: Ahah! So your hands are burnt, Ikari-san! I guess you could say... he was caught red-handed.

089: Strangely the hard hat actually looks good on Shinji... even more strange is the apparent lack of Shinji merchandise with him wearing it.

Scene 03
102: Now that I actually think about it, this cut is a cool intro for this scene.

117: Of course it's Ayanami! If you put 100 Otaku in that scene alongside Shinji, they would have been looking at her too!

125: “You’re both Eva pilots, aren’t you? You should ask her awkward questions all the time."

132: Since we're baffled by Rei's excited appearance, we overlook the fact that Shinji is spying on her and Gendo.

137: Shinji's expression here is halfway between "What why he is talking to her like that?" and "I wish she would come up to me like that fap fap fap"

Scene 04
143: I love the use of bird's eye view for Misato's apartment here: even with her colleague and friend over for dinner, it still looks untidy

147: Using the curry pot and ramen cup in this frame was great way of showing off Ritsuko's slightly miffed expression.

165: Again, his expression here is halfway between "I wonder why Gendo talks to her but not to me?" and "If I stare at her picture hard enough, maybe she will like"

168: How do you know it's a house, Misato? How do you know it's not a dusty apartment in an otherwise abandoned apartment building?

170: Way to quote Kensuke word for word, Shinji.

173: Another subtle hint at Ritsuko's interest in Gendo.

Scene 05
179: I noticed the name 'Pimpom' was also used on the doorbell in Rebuild - is it actually a brand name in Japan, or is it just made up for the show?

193: And the only decorative item in the entire room seems to be Gendo's broken glasses.

194: ... and then he puts them on. Why, Shinji, do you put the glasses on? What did you think you would see with those anyway?

204: It's a shame Puchi Eva didn't parody this scene.

219: R/S shippers take note: the only time in this scene when Shinji blushes is when he realises his hand is ontop of Rei's breast. Once he removes it, the blush is gone and the nervous lines from earlier return.

222: It's the same hand he was staring so intently at in Episode 02. Awkward...

225: Sneaking a peek? He got a taste and now he's come back for more.

231: Rei seems to be able to pull clothes out of nowhere.

236: She's gone! Steal her panties and inhale their glorious albino aroma!

Scene 06
244: @thewayneiac: She also payed no mind to him following her all the way there.

245: "I'll just take that from you without saying a word because I'm so classy that I don't need words"

254: Bzzt! Wrong Answer, Ikari-kun.

255: And now he touches his face with the hand that touched Rei's boob that was also the hand that he stared at intently after Unit-01's corresponding arm was broken by Sachiel that was also the corresponding hand that was burnt by Shamshel in Episode 03 and the same hand that Shinji holds the phone with when we first see him in Episode 01. Conundrum, Conundrums!

Scene 07
272: Careful now, Rei - the spell will be undone at midnight.
^Cinderella pun, and also a pun on Unit-00's role in Episode 06

290: "I'm just going to have a nice, relaxing bath in this LCL."

Scene 08
313: This is one of my favourite cuts of the entire series. The way that building just melts with Ramiel's super-beam is amazingly well done.
Voluntary Illusion.

Ornette
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Ornette » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:13 pm

072: I wonder what bolts that large are used for. I guess with Evas, everything has to be super-sized.

076: Why a computer screen would flash images of printed circuit boards to show that there's a lot of information?

304: It's interesting to note that Ramiel was able to detect a threat even before Eva-01 emerges on the surface, but gets tricked by a balloon.

esselfortium
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby esselfortium » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:21 pm

View Original PostEvangelionFan wrote:255: And now he touches his face with the hand that touched Rei's boob that was also the hand that he stared at intently after Unit-01's corresponding arm was broken by Sachiel that was also the corresponding hand that was burnt by Shamshel in Episode 03 and the same hand that Shinji holds the phone with when we first see him in Episode 01. Conundrum, Conundrums!

Hold the phone!

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Sun Oct 31, 2010 9:22 pm

View Original Postesselfortium wrote:Hold the phone!

Ha! I knew someone would say that.
Voluntary Illusion.

Dr. Nick
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Dr. Nick » Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:24 pm

002: And so part II of our story opens after a five-year-timeskip. The residents of Geofront Village have resettled the planet's surface and Shinji the Whiner has become the president of the Earth.

008: [That farandolae-reference needs a link to the references wiki-page]

029: That middle screenie is hilarious. "Oh crap, I almost forgot! Gotta kill all humans!"

042: So the electric plug has rockets to break its fall, but the entry plug doesn't?

054: There's some cheap, jerky animation here as the puddle of LCL spreads.

061: (Not a proper comment, but I was just wondering if that thread which juxtaposed termination plugs with driving a stake through a vampire's heart is still around. I remember there was some fun material in that thread that could perhaps be imported here.)

076: [Hey Ursus, can I have this one?] Aaand Andromeda Strain references start here. [link to references page on the wiki]

102: The ratings are falling! Insert a pool episode! [First part of a three-parter joke for this episode.]

132: In the great tradition of Megazone 23, Shinji learns that he can use his mech's sensors for voyeurism.

155: Even though this scene is such a huge cliche, I still find this rather downplayed punchline quite funny.

171: (Typo in Reichu's comment: pecuiiar)

174: Meanwhile, in the outskirts of Moscow...

182: It's certainly not just a Japanese thing. I wonder if there's a world map floating around showing in which cultures shoes are commonly worn indoors and where they're usually removed.

188: You are a dirty, dirty girl, Rei. Not as dirty as Yomiko Readman, though.

192: Books about psychology and genetics? Is Rei trying to learn about her origins?

195: The ratings are falling! Insert some accidental groping!

209: So, is this like some ripple symbolism that's telling us Shinji has stirred Rei's maiden soul?

201: Notice the rainbow. I bet that's symbolic, too.

216: Anno could have set up another Big Irony Bomb here by having her say "Move it or lose it."

218: I'd like to suggest axing this line by Quiddity: "Whether this is a homage to Eva or not I can't say, after all this type of scene is quite a cliche." Evangelion most certainly didn't invent accidental groping, and we probably want to avoid even any speculation to that effect.

221: Remember to buy the uncensored Blu-rays.

247: This escalator is actually quite baffling if you start to think about the incline and the support structures (or the lack thereof).

284: I remember when I watched Eva for the first time ever, and I just knew that after all this character development and plot build-up there was some serious rape coming.

290: A rare shot of LCL within a plug acting like a liquid should.

317: The ratings are falling! Quickly, insert a hot springs episode!

319: What's with the stylish font and the lack of Engrish?

thewayneiac
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby thewayneiac » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:01 pm

EvangelionFan wrote:I always liked the look of cuts 059-064, I love how it sets up a false sense of security for Episode 14...

Could you elaborate on how it does that? I always found this dialogue rather disturbing, and that this is confirmed in Ep. 14.
Rejoice, glory is ours. Our young men have not died in vain. Their graves need no flowers. The tapes have recorded their names.
I am all there is.
Negative! Primative! Limited! I let you live.
But I gave you life.
What else could you do?
To do what was right.
I'm perfect, are you?

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:16 pm

View Original PostDr. Nick wrote:076: [Hey Ursus, can I have this one?] Aaand Andromeda Strain references start here. [link to references page on the wiki]

Sure thing.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:13 pm

Just a reminder:
View Original PostLogan Payne wrote:SSD pointed out to me that the episode doesn't link to the preview. Is this intentional?

Anyway... *Cracks knuckles* Let's do this thing. I have no idea if mentioning spoilerific information in the commentary is alright or not, so I'll attempt to be vague as possible I suppose.

001: Ahh, good old Japanese Micho Bold.

003: The third frame makes him seem somewhat ominous instead of mainly serious. Wonder if that was their intent.

018C: Poor Maya. It seems like half of her lines are some variation thereof.

022: I can't help but wonder if there is some pilot and resident soul [mental] contact going on in this shot (similar to how Eva-00 grasps her head in Episode 14 with Shinji inside). Perhaps that's why the Eva seems to be in such pain in this shot.

031-032: Contrary to Episode 14 with Ritsuko, I'd say it's apparent that Gendo himself was the Eva's target in this episode.

043: I think that despite some fan opinions, Gendo's concern for Rei here is genuine. She's important to his goals and serves as the reminder of a certain somebody, but he still manages to show more concern for Rei (as a surrogate daughter of sorts) than concern for his own son.

053: It's hard to tell if Ritsuko is jealous, stunned, or (most likely?) both.

061: Pointless Religious Symbolism, ahoy!

093: Misato? Scold him? She's usually pretty easy-going, what's Shin-chan so worried about?

095: Is there an exact time-frame of when Misato arrived to Nerv HQ? Was it literally a few days before Sachiel's attack? (As an aside, her outfit in this scene is cute. I also like the personal touch of Shinji not having his helmet strapped on.)

114-115: Heh. Shinji's oblivious or clueless on how to deal with his fan-club. (At least Asuka has no qualms with ignoring her own fans when she arrives.) I always smirk at the "Ikari-kun~~" line.

121: Maybe it's just me, Toji seems more into the idea of Rei than Kensuke is, given how much he's sweating and blushing.

123: I can't help but wonder if the solitude (whether by choice or by peers) doesn't bother Rei even the tiniest amount...

126: Shinji strikes me as particularly cute in the 3rd frame. /Shinji fan-girl mode.

138: Esselfortium joke: Here, Gendo is explaining to Rei the humor behind "Why did the chicken cross the road".

In all seriousness, I personally find this to parallel the DC 22' scene of Asuka watching Shinji and Rei at the train station. I suppose both Gendo & Rei and Shinji & Rei conversations are idle "how are things going" chatter, but I'm curious on what exactly was being discussed in either case.

149: Misato's delightful "Wakaru?" cracks me up every time. Mitsuishi-san's the best!

153: Heh. One of the few comedic sweat-drops in the series. Episode 17 with Asuka is the only other one that really sticks out in my mind.

171: "To hide her feelings", eh? I suppose this is mainly in regards to Rei, but I'm assuming the relationship between Ritsuko and Gendo plays a part. I wonder if this means Gainax/Anno did plan for there to be drama between the three of them from the start.

173: A sense of pity for Rei (and Gendo), perhaps?

174: The demolition sound effects give off a touch of creepiness, somehow.

210: An EGF member once pointed out how this Rei and Shinji shot has a visual parallel with a scene in EoE... Excellent catch by them.

[SIDE NOTE: I edited in the url of the page to make it easier as a reference if this comment is included on the commentary page.]

211-215: Silent staring contest! Interesting how the script notes Rei as being calm. I initially thought maybe there was a hint of fear in her eyes, but... *Shrug* Shinji, of course, isn't sure what to think!

On another note--and while this would be mostly on Shinji's end given what little information we discover about Rei in-series--I wonder if the eye contact sparked (the starting of) a sense of familiarity for either?

225: Last frame: He might be sexually repressed, but a complete prude Shinji Ikari is not.

234: Weirdly enough, I didn't realize this was a smile until the script pointed it out.

258: Funny how Rei's remembrance of Gendo's concern is different than how he actually spoke in 054-055. He sounds sweeter here compared to the actual scene. Perhaps a case of Rei hearing what she wants to hear?

290: Despite her air of calm, Rei was just as nervous about this as anybody else. It goes to show that people who call Rei nothing but an "emotionless doll" miss the point of her character.

292: Isn't this sound effect also used in Gunbuster, or am I thinking of the "energy charging" sound that Ramiel has in Eva: 1.11?

298: Curiosity on how well Shinji will fare in the battle, perhaps? I sort of get a "existence that gazes upon man" (quote from the Renewal/Platinum booklet and seemingly nowhere else) feel from this shot, despite the fact this isn't Quantum Rei.

320: The only thing I can say about this cut (besides "Poor Shinji") is Ouch.

PV: Would it have really been so hard for ADV to include both 30 and 15 second previews for all episodes, I wonder?
Last edited by Sailor Star Dust on Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Eric Blair
Alberto del Rio
Alberto del Rio

•      
  •      

Postby Eric Blair » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:23 pm

I'll give this one a shot.

#003: It's Ikari... but his glasses are different. His hands are bare. And he's picking his nose...

EWWWWWW...

#019: Why does it feel like ELO's "Telephone line" is strangely appropriate here?

#029: This whole section is proof that Evas do suffer from moral hungover

#030: Gendo: strike me with all your might. Unit 00: don't have to ask me twice.

#031: Gendo: I might have used too much bravado.

#057: Is it wrong if the only thing I can think of int his scene is "Gendo's gonna need new glasses."?

#059: It feels like someone is setting up a "Rei is our top operative, she has been trained to be invisible" there

#069: It says something about panning up to reveal the carcass of the dead angel.

#077: And thus was the term "wave particle" unleashed unto eva fandom for great lulz.

#085: Besides the obvious "I need to be a 50 feet diameter red sphere for you to pay attention to me?" part, I like how Shinji's face when noticing Gendo's hands still show the emotion of saying "My dad got injured... how?"

I might do the rest, but right now, this is just for S&G
In this time of Rebuild, I'm proud to be one of the few fans of the original NGE, and one of the last proud fans of Asuka Langley Soryu.
Avatar: A fighting boy meets girl on a one night stand, walking into the blue, ending day by day as they dance in a very merry Christmas, continuing on my own as a burning one man force while you come and make my day approaching in the nick of time and always, stand by me.

EvangelionFan
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby EvangelionFan » Mon Nov 01, 2010 10:25 pm

View Original Postthewayneiac wrote:Could you elaborate on how it does that? I always found this dialogue rather disturbing, and that this is confirmed in Ep. 14.

I agree that the dialogue is worrying, however in Episodes 06, 11 and 12, Unit-00 shows signs of functioning completely normally with Rei as its pilot. It is only when Shinji is tested in Unit-00 that it malfunctions/beserks a second time and attempts to attack Rei; hence 'false sense of security'. It's a feeling I've only gotten from looking at the cut in the commentary, as I recall feeling nothing from the scene otherwise.
Voluntary Illusion.

Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby Twin Drive Sigma Aquarion » Tue Nov 02, 2010 7:31 am

219: Unlike normal sirens, this does not lure sailors to their doom on rocks, but rather nuclear death rays.

303: Look at all the pretty little lights, kind of like something you'd see from Macross or Megazone 23 or Detonator Orgun or something.

312: Star light, star bright, first star I see...... In the middle of the afternoon, WTF?

315: Warning: Damage is actually much worse than it appears.
So depressed am I
Missing you I do TK
Gone from paradise

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:43 pm

View Original PostEric Blair wrote:#077: And thus was the term "wave particle" unleashed unto eva fandom for great lulz.
Yeah -- missed this one through excessive familiarity. Could probably do to cite http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment and the references to scattering fullerene molecules as waves.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:45 pm

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:210: An EGF member once pointed out how this Rei and Shinji shot has a visual parallel with a scene in EoE... Excellent catch by them.

Excellent memory! I forgot about that post. :3

Magami no ER kinda sorta made the observation first, but I posted the image comparison, so I steal the credit. (Honestly, I don't care.)

292: Isn't this sound effect also used in Gunbuster, or am I thinking of the "energy charging" sound that Ramiel has in Eva: 1.11?

The energy charging / scream SE is the one that I matched to the fluctuating gravity well (space monster) in Diebuster. Woe!, even SSD can no longer tell the two Evas apart!! :crybaby:
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Return to “Wiki Editing and Discussion”