Eva Plot Holes

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

Tailgunner
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Tailgunner » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:26 pm

Shinji was in civilian clothes in episode 19, but when he was absorbed by the eva, the clothing was changed by the plug suit. It's a mistake, accept it.

No it was the FM factor
UP THE IRONS!!!!

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:25 pm

The subjectivity of Evangelion is something that renders a topic like this completely and utterly pointless. There are plot holes. The problem is that you cannot definitely identify them. What some would consider a plot hole, other would find a way around, no matter how convoluted. This is where argument enters in. Even discrepanicies in animation can be argued as being intentional.

I will not argue any way on any of these issues adressed. And I will leave this open. While I would like to close this to avoid argument, I'll let it run its course. If another moderator feels this should be closed, they may close it. I'm going to avoid being so lock-happy for a change.

gasoline238
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby gasoline238 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:37 pm

EM summed it up perfectly. What you believe are plot holes in Eva really depend on how much you believe was intentional, and how far Eva can be analyzed.

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:45 pm

Why do you insist on calling it a plot hole when it is explained... Show me some real plot holes... go ahead, I dare you.
Beatus vir qui suffert tentationem.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:34 am

MAGI wrote:But I could have sworn I saw her arm split in two. And her eye pierced.

Her arm did split in half before she died, but it quite clearly is not split in half when she reembodies later on.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

MAGI
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby MAGI » Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:52 am

Reichu wrote:
MAGI wrote:But I could have sworn I saw her arm split in two. And her eye pierced.

Her arm did split in half before she died, but it quite clearly is not split in half when she reembodies later on.

That's true. Do care to re-read the next sentence. She could have imagined herself as having had top-notch surgery two months and a bit prior to reemerging from the LCL.
Would you like to come back with your arms still not fixed if you had a choice?

Clearly, the bandages was placed there intentionally by Anno to not make her look like Wonder Woman cross Wolverine. It makes her look pitiable, and lets you know it really IS her.
It makes Shinji's actions that much more shocking.

gasoline238
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby gasoline238 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:49 am

Dave wrote:Why do you insist on calling it a plot hole when it is explained... Show me some real plot holes... go ahead, I dare you.

You're analyzing the hell out of Eva, which is fine if it works for you, but some would call that overanalysis. See what I mean?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:58 am

MAGI wrote:Clearly, the bandages was placed there intentionally by Anno to not make her look like Wonder Woman cross Wolverine. It makes her look pitiable, and lets you know it really IS her.

And if she didn't have bandages, would there have been any doubt as to her identity?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Sat Oct 16, 2004 12:54 pm

gasoline238 wrote:You're analyzing the hell out of Eva, which is fine if it works for you, but some would call that overanalysis. See what I mean?

Do you mean me?

the_seventh_child
radio gaga
radio gaga

•      
  •      

Postby the_seventh_child » Sat Oct 16, 2004 2:51 pm

Reichu wrote:

And if she didn't have bandages, would there have been any doubt as to her identity?

what do you mean?
Anime and manga unite us all. Much better than the Olympics. - Carl Horn |11.30.2004.
"As of this moment, we are changing from soldiers to pirates!" - Captain Jeffrey Wilder (Macross Frontier #22)

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Sat Oct 16, 2004 3:35 pm

i think she had the bandages cause she imagined herself to be hurt (her self image that was recreated)
and although we do see her arm split, i think that is also her self image...
then again..with a beserk 02 the sync ratio might have jumped...

Nephilim
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Nephilim » Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:05 pm

sadsadshinji wrote:and although we do see her arm split, i think that is also her self image...

I think that too... because we don't see any blood, it's a clean cut, like a plastic toy arm :roll:
*insert cool signature here*

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Oct 16, 2004 7:03 pm

the_seventh_child wrote:
Reichu wrote:

what do you mean?

With or without bandages, an Asuka lying inert on a white beach would still have been Asuka.

i think she had the bandages cause she imagined herself to be hurt (her self image that was recreated)

The idea that people can reembody with clothes or other articles on seems flawed... Granted, there is no other way to explain where Asuka got the plugsuit and the bandages (her original plugsuit, as with any of her and EVA-02's remains, would have been vaporized in the giant eye-shaped explosion that freed the Geofront). But episode #20, the sole time we actually do bear witness (sort of) to a reembodiment, Shinji is quite naked, even though he dissolved with his school uniform on.

and although we do see her arm split, i think that is also her self image...
then again..with a beserk 02 the sync ratio might have jumped...

Shin-seiki's quite fond of the idea that Asuka "went splat" the split-second before EVA-02 died. I'm sort of ambivalent on the matter myself.

As for why it's a "clean cut" and we don't see any bones and meat inside... Beats me. But we don't see it exploding into a liquid, either. Is it possible that they just chose to save the gruesome details for EVA-02?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:03 pm

Having read as much as I have on the subject, I can say for a fact that some aspects of the plot are HORRIBLY over analyzed. I save my analysis for the characters, and the expressionistic value of the show rather than the plot.

Dave
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Dave » Sat Oct 16, 2004 11:47 pm

The Eva Monkey wrote:Having read as much as I have on the subject, I can say for a fact that some aspects of the plot are HORRIBLY over analyzed. I save my analysis for the characters, and the expressionistic value of the show rather than the plot.

The plot is why the characters exist. :? Could you explain what you mean by "expressionistic value of the show" please?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Oct 17, 2004 12:03 am

The Eva Monkey wrote:Having read as much as I have on the subject, I can say for a fact that some aspects of the plot are HORRIBLY over analyzed. I save my analysis for the characters, and the expressionistic value of the show rather than the plot.

This sounds like completely unnecessary snobbery to me -- nothing personal, Aaron.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:36 pm

true...that doesnt make quite so much sense...
and about the arm...why did they not show any bones?

Super Mega Ultra Deluxe
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Super Mega Ultra Deluxe » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:11 pm

Expressionism

Wheee, I learned things x3

I think he's trying to say he much rather pick-apart what's trying to be said rather than the vehicle used to deliver them it, such as the plot, and be wound up in story technicalities and continuity mistakes.

Though I can't say I wholeheartedly agree, because even though it might produce a lot of red harings it's always fun to do and might produce some answers, which are better than none.

sadsadshinji
Nerv Scientist
Nerv Scientist

•      
  •      

Postby sadsadshinji » Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:37 pm

er...so what is he trying to say? with Asuka's wound..?

DatDude
Test Subject
Test Subject

NAME YOUR FAVORITE PLOT HOLE !

•      
  •      

Postby DatDude » Wed Jan 12, 2005 8:56 pm

Plot holes every story has them and eva is no exception. Name your favorite Plot hole weather its been filled like Shinji's streetclothing/plain clothing from when he got stuck in unit one. Or left wide open like Kaworu being told by Seele that gendo has adams body but goes after lilith thinking shes adam from renewal.

Come one come all and poke this anime masterpice with a sharp stick by pointing out all the blaring flaws in the plot.

My personal favorate is why in the blue hell was 14 year old Misato at the north pole with her fathers expidition ? It was run in secret by Seele or somthing right?
There was an EVA Nerd here, but now he's gone.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”