[LAEM] Hurricane Katrina, 2004 Tsunami, and Second Impact

The place for all of the old Live Action Evangelion Movie threads.

Moderator: Board Staff

V
Banned

Hurricane Katrina, 2004 Tsunami, and Second Impact

Postby V » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:48 pm

I tried searching for this but that turned up no threads directly related to this, so here goes:

I thought Evangelion was a good post-apocalyptic story as it was, but with the incredible flooding damage caused by Hurricane Katrina in the United States (and after that, the "An Inconvenient Truth" movie getting everyone worried about global warming and such)....and in addition, the December 26th, 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami......you think that if a Live-Action movie series is made, the "general public"...that is, the "mainstream" who don't watch anime and have no prior knowledge of what Evangelion is.....well draw comparisons between these and Second Impact?

I mean I imagine that the movie series would begin with a bang by the opening scene being of Second Impact causing massive global tsunamis...then cutting to the attack of Sachiel 15 years later.

Is this....good? Bad? Because I would be upset if several irate critics yelled about it because of that.....but on the other hand......it does kind of make the series more topical, you know?

I mean if it was a series about a nuclear explosion and a movie of an anime series was made a few years after 3 Mile Island or Cherynobyl or something, it would get "attention"...

I really don't know. But when you think about it; wow, we had 2 major flooding-related catastrophes, one an actual super-tsunami killing 280,000+ people and then New Orleans basically destroyed (flooding damage) in a category 5 hurricane....pretty much within the span of just 8 months.

So then we'll have the Eva movies basically opening with a tsunami of "Deep Impact" proportions followed by shots of Old Tokyo flooded out with tall buildings popping out above the water line like New Orleons only much worse or something.

Well I was just surpised I couldn't find a thread on it already.

Thoughts?
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:40 pm

Nothing personal V, but I think some smart-arse admin/mod should rename this thread "Intentional Analysis III: Revelations". :roll: Or lock it!
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

Trigger's Elysium
Lilin
Lilin

Postby Trigger's Elysium » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:52 pm

HURRICANE KATRINA RIPPED OFF EVANGELION

...<_< I'm sorry.
He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man. There is no measuring Muad'Dib's motives by ordinary standards. In the moment of his triumph, he saw the death prepared for him, yet he accepted the treachery. Can you say he did this out of a sense of justice? Whose justice, then? Remember, we speak now of the Muad'Dib who ordered battle drums made from his enemies' skins, the Muad'Dib who denied the conventions of his ducal past with a wave of the hand, saying merely: "I am the Kwisatz Haderach. That is reason enough."

TriLink
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

Re: Hurricane Katrina, 2004 Tsunami, and Second Impact

Postby TriLink » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:00 pm

V wrote:I thought Evangelion was a good post-apocalyptic story as it was, but with the incredible flooding damage caused by Hurricane Katrina in the United States (and after that, the "An Inconvenient Truth" movie getting everyone worried about global warming and such)....and in addition, the December 26th, 2004 Indian Ocean Tsunami......you think that if a Live-Action movie series is made, the "general public"...that is, the "mainstream" who don't watch anime and have no prior knowledge of what Evangelion is.....well draw comparisons between these and Second Impact?

To borrow the Simpson Comic Book Guys Voice:"Longest Sentence Ever!".

Smart ass comment out of the way, I don't think Live Action Eva will really be thought of as a diaster movie. Sure they'll probably start off with some Second Impact stuff, but the majority of Evangelion is about Shinji and the Gang's struggle to love themselves (and others), remember? If done right, Second and Third Impacts should take a back seat, at least story wise.

@Hal- That's a little harsh, don't ya think?
" Just one question America...WHO IS FUCKING OUR PING PONG BALLS!?" -Dr.Stephen T Colbert DFA

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:13 pm

Well Tri-kun, I don't know about you, but the subjects on EMF are getting more and more, how shall I state this delicately, inane. No disrespect to anyone here, but I think we are all trying to "find a way out of a giant paper bag", (meaning) we are hoping to figure out what the new movies will entail and some of the lengths we are trying to explain or possibly rationalize what will happen are getting just too far-fetched and downright silly. Kind of like the last season of 24, eh? :P

But getting back on topic lest I get chastised by you-know-whom, I pretty much agree with you here, TriLink.
- TEH Fabulous Hal E. Burton 9000

P.S. For those wanting to discuss a matter with yours truly not pertaining to the general topic at hand, PM me. Please and thank you.

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

Postby CorporalChaos » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:33 pm

Trigger's Elysium wrote:HURRICANE KATRINA RIPPED OFF EVANGELION

...<_< I'm sorry.
I LOL'D

I dunno though. I'd say maybe a 50/50 chance that it would bring Eva more attention.
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

V
Banned

Postby V » Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:06 am

Shinji and the Gang's struggle to love themselves (and others), remember?

[Insert pic of Shinji+comatose Asuka from EoE here]

geez I was just sayin'....
Who is "Codename V"?....
I'm pleased to meet you and I hope you guessed my name, but what's puzzling you, is the nature of my game...so catch me if you can!! (0:50)
"Superior ability breeds superior ambition" -- Spock, Star Trek TOS episode 1.24 "Space Seed"
You say you say you want a REvolution?...
-->It was only after I lost everything, that I realized: I was free to do anything...

master0rolando
Ireul
Ireul

Postby master0rolando » Wed Jul 04, 2007 1:08 am

regardless of people taking THAT kind of thoughts to it...im sure the film will generate four screen debates on the news channels...

religous people being offended...

atheists being offended...

Iran accusing it of being anti-muslim propoganda...(theyll find a way...)

depending on the writing, the sexualization of 14 year olds...

theres going to be plenty of talk...

not to mention Triumph the Insult Dog is going to have his finest hour making fun of all the insane Japanese people who come to America to see it and all the creepy cosplayers...

S.A.L
Embryo

Postby S.A.L » Wed Oct 17, 2007 5:45 am

master0rolando wrote:regardless of people taking THAT kind of thoughts to it...im sure the film will generate four screen debates on the news channels...

religous people being offended...

atheists being offended...

Iran accusing it of being anti-muslim propoganda...(theyll find a way...)

depending on the writing, the sexualization of 14 year olds...

theres going to be plenty of talk...

not to mention Triumph the Insult Dog is going to have his finest hour making fun of all the insane Japanese people who come to America to see it and all the creepy cosplayers...

I thnk that the idea of linking the '04 tsunami/Katrina is rather insensitive, since it is like, trivializing the' 04 tsunami/Katrina. Remember, to this date, many are still suffering in Indonesia due to the tsunami, and it's almost 3 years, while, at the north end of Asia, someone is spinning money out of the issue? I think it is not a good idea.

Return to “Live Action Evangelion Movie”