Newtype USA 2004-01 - NGE2 and Ikuto Yamashita stuff

This is for the non-Eva goings on at Gainax, both old and new.

Moderator: Board Staff

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

Newtype USA 2004-01 - NGE2 and Ikuto Yamashita stuff

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:26 pm

Had this scanned since early september but only got around to stitiching it together last night and this morning:

http://www.mediafire.com/?2f14d5li2bg38zn
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Oct 17, 2010 12:39 pm

Awesome, Eva 2! :w00t:

I like how they used those CCG images as a background for that one page, hehe.

Thanks a lot for the scan!
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:12 pm

Thank you very much for sharing TMBounty_Hunter, it's really nice (too bad that Newtype USA closed, I suppose that there were interesting articles in that magazine).
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:08 pm

Mysteries & Answers page wrote:Background images are taken from the card game if Ending from Bandai
What's this?
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:35 pm

I actually still have the magazine in a box somewhere. I didn't realize something like that would be desired.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

Hyper Shinchan
Younger God
Younger God

•      
  •      

Postby Hyper Shinchan » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:49 pm

View Original PostNAveryW wrote:
Mysteries & Answers wrote:Background images are taken from the card game if Ending from Bandai
What's this?

Congratulations for reading that small text, I'm not sure but it could be this:

at least there's the same illustration.
I can post the rest of them if it's not a problem with the admins (I think that it's a fan translation and that it's not been published in the U.S. but I could be wrong). The pictures have the watermark of a Spanish website no longer working but they're translated in English @_@, maybe they took them from somewhere else.
So let’s make a wish.
“Please let me redo again.”
No matter how many times

From the book “All About Nagisa Kaworu: A Child of Evangelion”.

TMBounty_Hunter
Hachigouki is my waifu
Hachigouki is my waifu

•      
  •      

Postby TMBounty_Hunter » Sun Oct 17, 2010 8:50 pm

View Original Postcyharding wrote:I actually still have the magazine in a box somewhere. I didn't realize something like that would be desired.

I'm just a whore for Yamashita's stuff. My primary motivation was getting a nice high-res scan of this pic and I only have the USA Newtype with it. Also Jet Alone Kai lineart and Kawamori. Ended up scanning the rest just for the hell of it.

But when it comes time to lay pen to paper, on what do Kawamori and Yamashita base their designs?

Ikuto Yamashita:
This is more of a guideline for me than an actual rule, but when I'm drawing airplanes I consider a drawing acceptable if airplane noises start coming out of my mouth as I'm doing it.

Best guideline ever.

---------------------EDIT---------------------
Also, what exact Newtype issues do you have? I am mildly curious in acquiring more even though I'm not really in a financial position to do so.
"Hooray for other things!" -NAveryW

Azathoth
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby Azathoth » Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:03 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Best guideline ever.

I'm guessing this was how he wrote Sore o Nasumono, by trying to draw Asuka while making werewolf noises. Actually, I think I may be imagining him do the entirety of Anima like this, just sitting there going PEW PEW PEW VROOM WEIRD PROSE STYLE~
Nothing is so valuable that it need not be started afresh, nothing is so rich that it need not be enriched constantly.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Sun Oct 17, 2010 10:41 pm

View Original PostHyper Shinchan wrote:Congratulations for reading that small text, I'm not sure but it could be this
That's the Carddass Masters card game. Which is by Bandai. It could be the same thing, but I've never seen it called if Ending.
"Today?... hmm... today... right... Um... I'm just gonna wing it." -Guess who

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Oct 18, 2010 2:38 am

The pictures for the background images imply it is the Bandai CCG (the Cardass Masters game), yes.

I've never heard it referred to as "If Ending" either...I'm assuming "If Ending" is how Newtype USA chose to translate the Consummation card sets from the game...?? I'm stumped too.
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:57 pm

View Original PostTMBounty_Hunter wrote:Also, what exact Newtype issues do you have? I am mildly curious in acquiring more even though I'm not really in a financial position to do so.

Let's see, off the top of my head, I also own the August 2004, June 2005, September 2006, December 2006, January 2007, August 2007 (there might be one more 2007, I don't remember) and February 2008 the last one. I used to have more, but between 2005 and 2008, I've thrown them away usually removing the binding staples and keeping individual pages. Looking back, there were some issues that I regret discarding and some that I don't. Those, along with the Animericas and Protoculture Addicts I have, make for an interesting collection.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

FelipeFritschF
Armisael
Armisael

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:44 pm

View Original Postcyharding wrote:I actually still have the magazine in a box somewhere. I didn't realize something like that would be desired.

I was very busy so didn't post this yet, but thanks again.

I asked Cyharding here if he still had them and of course since we live in the future, we have phones that take readable pictures and no longer need to rely on scans! Wahoo!

https://imgur.com/a/asrEDMo

Scans  SPOILER: Show

Transcript  SPOILER: Show
'''Ikuto Yamashita INTERVIEW
The first Evangelion in eight years, designed to "look powerful"

'''A heavy-armored Eva?! Turning conflicting orders into a tangible concept'''
The PS2 game '''''Neon Genesis Evangelion 2''''' presents creators with possibilities for new story developments that weren't in the anime version, such as new equipment and weaponry for the Evas. What would Dr. Ritsuko Akagi do if charged with the task of making the Evas even more powerful than they already are? The answer is F-type equipment and two new weapons! In the spring of 2002, Ikuto Yamashita is asked to work out the designs for these concepts Specifically, the order was to "draw a heavy-armored Eva? for use in hand-to-hand combat." "By the time I was able to rally consider the order I'd already accepted, I realized that the concept of a "heavy-armored Eva" was going to be very problematic," confesses Yamashita. Eva and heavy armor actually interesting ideas. I mean, what armor the Evas did have was called 'restraints' - there was never any need to cover the [...] the Eva is at its strongest when it's bare. So I thought of an idea that wouldn't contradict [the nature of The Eva] - that idea was the A.T. Field Control Experiment."
The idea calls for an equipped system that would take the A.T. Fleld that an Eva emitted under normal circumstances and introduce a warping effect that would strengthen the Eva's defenses. In this way the requirement of heavy armor was met without violating the spirit of the Eva system. Next would come the actual design.
The Eva designed to be recognizable as an Eva even in silhouette, but if you were to stick on some armor it wouldn't look like an Eva anymore. We heve to keep the same distinctive pinched-in waist and slender shape of the Eva. 5o I thought it might be best if I just made it look like parts were added on here and there after the fact."
The new armor that emerged was [...] comparison to the more organic appearance of the Eva Unit 01.
"I drew the F-type according to the usual principles of robot design, as it does look powerful. But it probably doesn't have the same shock value that the Unit O1 had -how you felt (your image of robots been) almost betrayed when you first saw it"
For the latter half of his research. Yamashita took a controller and played the game himself. What did he think of it "I thought it was the kind of game that every player could use to supplement their personal concept of ''Eva'' if they're able to do all the things they can do [in the game], then even if the ending doesn't quite turn out like they expected, they'll still be able to accept it for what it is. In fact, it's entirely possible that Eva as we know it ends with this game. It's because players will be able to reconcile everything [...]

To solve the mysteries you must understand the world of Eva itself The Eva 2 game draws you into the world of Eva once again. During production, the developers did their best to understand everything about Eva, and tried to incorporate what they learned into the game. Without their efforts, it would've been impossible to re-create the world of Eva. Hiroshi Shibamura of Alfa System prepared a thick questionnaire and conducted an interview with Hideaki Anno, the director of both the TV series and the films, that lasted more than ten hours. The interview included questions such as, "What do you think about each of the Gundam series?" (to help program the "Anno AI" in the game) and "What was the first Angel?" (to further understand the story behind Eva). Director Anno and his staff answered the questions frankly, and the game reflects that.
However, it won't be easy to find answers. The quickest way to gather clues is to play the game repeatedly in as many different roles as possible. There are some deceptive characters, such as Gendou (you can never tell whether he's telling the truth). And after all of the hard work, much of the information obtained may turn out to be contradictory or just plain false. That is because a correct answer from the standpoint of one particular character isn't necessarily correct from the standpoint of another. On the other hand, mystery-solving is only a part of it. Instead of trying so hard to find the right answers, just keep playing around in the puzzling world of Eva to discover clues about the "Official Answer," which GAINAX is said to have presented in the game.

'''FROM EVA TO EVA 2'''
'''A PREEMMPTIVE STRIKE, SO TO SPEAK'''

The Renewal Project started with a full-page ad posted in the morning edition of the Asahi Shinbun newspaper on December 10, 2002, which must have surprised quite a few people since it's uncommon to see such a large-scale anime ad. The large Japanese text near the top (which means "Restart") must have escalated fans' curiosity. In fact, a number of people called King Records to ask about the ad. Tomohiro Ogawa, director of King Records, says, "I wanted to have something that made a strong impact at the beginning of the project. Initially, I thought about holding a press conference, but the newspapers reach a wider audience. If it's about anime, it's more common to post in anime magazines, but when it comes to a big title like Eva, I wanted many people besides anime fans to know that something big was underway. I also purposely kept the information to a bare minimum."

'''''A COINCIDENCE THAT ALMOST SEEMS PLANNED'''''

The Evangelion ''Renewal'' Project began in the summer of 2002 when a producer at GAINAX named Hiroki Sato commissioned Yoshiyuki Sadamoto to do illustrations which would form the backbone of the project. He wanted two illustration ideas-one based on the first episode that would appeal to first-time viewers and one that included both characters and mecha that could serve as a promotional poster for the TV series. Sadamoto accepted the challenge and drew the two rough sketches shown here. The idea for the one that shows Shinji holding Rei made such an impact when Sato first saw it that it was decided on immediately, not long after, the '''''Evangelion 2''''' game went into development. Bandai producer Yoshihiro Okamoto had initially planned on using the standard '''Evangelion''' illustration for the game disc jacket, but he fell in love with Sadamoto's second illustration at first sight, and decided to use it as the main illustration for the '''''Evangelion 2''''' project. It's almost too much of a coincidence that the cover art for both the DVD and the game were drawn at the same time!

'''THE STRATEGY BEHIND'''

The DVD box doesn't have illustrated sleeves, but the individually sold DVDs are decorated with illustrations targeting new fans and feature new illustrations by Yoshiyuki Sadamoto. Each illustration is inspired by a memorable scene featuring the main characters from each volume. Unfortunately, the cover illustrations had to be cropped from Mr. Sadamoto's original drawings to fit the box size. Mr. Sadamoto had to face tough deadlines to meet the release schedule of two volumes per month. Tomohiro Ogawa of King Records says, "It was almost a miracle that we were able to release all of them on schedule."

'''''TRULY IMPRESSIVE'''''

From planning to completion, Eva 2 was more than five years in the making. If you were to make a printout of the entire game script, it would fill several dozen cardboard boxes. The whole thing has been checked through several times to make sure the characters all sound natural. The care and effort expended on the voice quality is incredible. The acting script-which approaches 35,000 words !- was created so that the sound came through in full voice. That way, players would be able to completely immerse themselves in the game. The new voice actors were called in separately for a series of recording sessions that took well over half a month of gruelling 12 hour days, seven days a week!

'''''EVA AROUND THE WORLD'''''

Considering the huge impact Eva made on popular culture in Japan, it would be interesting to see how it fared elsewhere. Newtype Japan asked the editors-in-chief of both Newtype Korea and Newtype USA about the status of Evangelion in their respective countries, and here are their responses.
Let's start with Korea. Anime fans in that country were discussing the show over the Internet even as it was still being broadcast in Japan. Neither the TV series nor the movies had been released in Korea at that time, and the videos that were released for sale were heavily cut in order to make the content appeal to audiences of all ages. An unedited version of the show wouldn't come out until 2001. Because of this state of affairs, the huge boom that accompanied Eva broadcasts in Japan wasn't repeated in Korea. Despite that fact, reader polls in Newtype Korea still show Rei Ayanami at the top of their popular character rankings.
In the US on the other hand, Eva was released to video at a fairly early stage, and enjoyed almost fanatical popularity with fans. Newtype USA offers the following analysis: "its controversial nature, bold religious imagery and existential musings coupled with American interest in giant robots that break stuff are partial reasons for the show's success." Reactions to Evangelion's bizarre ending were similar in both the US and Japan, leading to a huge demand for the video release of the theatrical versions. At the moment, a live-action version of the story is being planned in the US, and needless to say, the project is riding on the wave of the show's popularity. It's clear that US fan interest in Eva has not waned, and sales of DVDs, action figures and related merchandise are still strong.
Thus we see that in Korea and the US, the process of the show's introduction and the way it was received were quite different. While neither country experienced a fan craze on the level of Japan, there is definitely something about Eva that transcends national boundaries.

'''Simple questions that any ordinary viewer would have about Evangelion are narrated. Five young voice actors were entrusted with the task of giving voice to these questions.'''

'''This is the acting script for Pen-Pen! The same types of phrases are repeated over and over, but depending on Pen-Pen's mood, the intonation will vary in subtle ways.'''

'''The acting script alone towers more than a foot high. All kinds of scenarios are included, from game events to character-specific scripts. In total, there are 26 folders-so many that they ran out of colors to code them with!''''

'''When the voice of Yuko Miyamura is added, the commercial is complete. She screams out in Asuka's voice: "So, what the hell WAS '''''Eva''''', anyway?!" It's really weird how naturally the whole commercial came together. "It felt both strange and new at the same time. I feel I was very lucky to have run into this role at the start of my career as a voice actress," says Miyamura.

'''A LITTLE CLASS REUNION'''

The '''''Refrain of Evangelion''''' CD that went on sale in Japan last July was a collection of the best and most famous songs from the vast quantity of music made for the TV series and movies. The series' director Hideaki Anno personally supervised the compilation. The illustrations focus on the theme of the relationships between characters and mecha in the show. Tomohiro Ogawa of King Records says, "For the Renewal, we wanted the mai nstaff from the series to come back and participate in '''''Eva''''' one more time, so we had them draw these illustration. I don't mind at all if the art looks different from [[the art used in]] the original show. It just means that if they were doing '''''Eva''''' now, this is how it would look. It felt just like a class reunion, and I'm very pleased with the variety we got in these illustrations."

Return to “Gaina[x] Stuff”