I found the real Kiel Lorenz

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

vicfergn
Embryo

I found the real Kiel Lorenz

•      
  •      

Postby vicfergn » Mon Jul 31, 2023 10:23 pm

A guy named Peter Carington looked strikingly similar to Kiel Lorenz, he was the Chairmen of the Steering Committee for the Bilderberg Meeting in the 90's.
Btw the name Kiel (キール) is probably based on the German city Kiel which was one of the major naval bases and shipbuilding centres of the German Reich.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Car ... Carrington

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... n-obituary

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Re: I found the real Kiel Lorenz

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Aug 01, 2023 4:44 am

Rather than the city, I consider it to be more likely that he is named after the keel of a ship (which would, incidentally, also be Kiel in German), to go with the rest of the naval themes in the character names
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

vicfergn
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby vicfergn » Thu Aug 03, 2023 2:40 am

It's not 'keel' in Japanese, that's just the US subbed version of the spelling. The katakana spelling is キール... the Japanese word for keel is 竜骨 (ryuukotsu) Funny enough... the word for keel in German is... Kiel... that city was meant to build ships, it was its destiny.

More interesting data:
The word "keel" comes from Old English cēol, Old Norse kjóll, = "ship" or "keel"

Kiel Fjord and the village of Kiel was probably the last settled by Vikings who wanted to colonise the land that they had raided.

Kieler Förde is an approximately 17 km (11 mi) long inlet of the Baltic Sea on the eastern side of Schleswig-Holstein, Germany.

The Bay of Kiel or Kiel Bay is a bay in the southwestern Baltic Sea, off the shores of Schleswig-Holstein in Germany and the islands of Denmark.

It seems all those places got their names from the use of ships :V So... yeah, keel

Werner Lorenz (October 2, 1891 – March 13, 1974) was an SS functionary during the Nazi era. He was head of the Volksdeutsche Mittelstelle (VOMI) (Main Office for Ethnic Germans), an organization charged with resettling ethnic Germans in the "German Reich" from other parts of Europe, as well as colonising the occupied lands during World War II. After the war, Lorenz was sentenced to prison for crimes against humanity in 1948. He was released in 1954 and died in 1974.

Blockio
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Aug 03, 2023 3:50 am

View Original Postvicfergn wrote:It's not 'keel' in Japanese, that's just the US subbed version of the spelling. The katakana spelling is キール... the Japanese word for keel is 竜骨 (ryuukotsu)

Yes, that is indeed the transliteration of the German and/or English word into katakana
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”