[REBUILD] How will it end? Give ME Rei's severed arm!

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:09 pm

:Blushes uncontrollably at compliment:

....A....arigatou.... (Kaaaa~)

The only reason I'm hoping for some type of explicitly stated romance this time around, is because of the fact that was left ambiguous in Eva (among with other ambiguity). *gasp!* How DARE Anno makes things ambiguous! That makes Shinji go nuts and cry!

I know that if Shinji actually does become happy at the end of all things this time around, Shinji finding happiness doesn't mean he'd have to be dating Asuka, but I just really think they'd be good for each other. Trying to get through their problems together, provided they don't obsessively depend on the other and all. ^_^

I agree with your stance when it comes to the manga, although I think he shouldn't be paired with anybody at all in that due to narrative reasons of how it's been so far (Asuka and Shinji don't seem to really have friendly feelings, let alone romantic, for each other, from what I've read). Plus how Shinji supposedly DOESN'T deserve to be happy in the Manga, so why not make that come true at it's end? :twisted:

Anyway.

Oh, and feel free to call me Stardust. ^_^ (Following suite of the Sailor Senshi dropping the "Sailor" part of their names at times except for Moon, curiously enough.)
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:31 pm

Is Senshi the gay one?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:39 pm

Huh??? *Blinks*

I refuse to call them "Sailor Scouts" because that's the dub term. Senshi, translated as Warrior or Soldier, is they're actual name in the Japanese version of SM.

But anyway, Sailors Uranus (Haruka, played by Ogata-sama ;)) and Neptune are the lesbians in the show.

Same with Sailor Star Fighter/Seiya who appears in Sailor Stars.

Zeon
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Zeon » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:46 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:With the sudden realization that everything he just "went through" was a dream--

It was okay up until this. No Dallas endings kthx.
"I've never had any cherished dreams or ambitions. I don't aspire to any future profession or career."

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:58 pm

Sean Connery as Action Lincoln is going to burst through the wall, and he'll be all, "Four Score, motherfucker!", and Gendo is gonna be all "You can't stop me this time, Action Lincoln!! I have all five Captain Planet rings!" He'll use them all at once, and the sheer power will turn Gendo into and expanding GendoBlob, destroying everything in sight. GendoBlob will then shape itself into Giant Gendo Head, destroying everything in sight with his bastard rays. Action Lincoln will then call forth Dr. Pepperbot, a gigantic super robot co-piloted by Bright Noah, Chuck Norris, and Revy from Black Lagoon. Dr. Pepperbot, after an intense battle with Giant Gendo Head, will go into God Mode and destroy Giant Gendo Head with its Sacred Spirit Power Nipple Cannon Attack. However, this will overload Dai Dr. Pepperbot, causing it to explode in a shower of inside-out clowns that will destroy the universe and cause it to be reborn as an infinite Lego version of Denmark in which everyone moves in slow-motion and the opening theme music from Koyaanisqatsi plays on a constant loop.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:05 pm

"Dallas"? That was an older show, right? What about that? (I've never seen it, so you've lost me.)

Anyway, what would be so bad about Rebuild having been nothing but a dream to that ended up Shinji strength while the original series was what really happened (Reality, the Real World, whatever you want to call it)?

I still think that'd be cool, just written better than what I came up with. ^_^;

@ Chee: Strangely enough, I feel like I've heard of that some where before?

Sandoz
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Sandoz » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:36 pm

Sailor Star Dust wrote:"Dallas"? That was an older show, right? What about that? (I've never seen it, so you've lost me.)

Dallas is infamous for a season finale in which a character wakes up and sees her boyfriend--who had been murdered in an earlier episode--in the shower, meaning that the entire season had been one character's dream.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:40 pm

Oh, okay.

Yeah, I remember kinda hearing about that; I just couldn't recall what show that was.

Thanks.

Heh, I remember that "Who Shot Mr. Burns part 2" episode began that way, then it ended up making fun of something else. ^_^; ("Speedway Squad!")

Anyway, isn't the title of this topic from a Manga section thread?

EvaCub
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby EvaCub » Tue Sep 18, 2007 8:50 pm

back on topic anyone?
My Anime List
Apjak:"Basically, to make an A.T. field gun, you'd have to make a gun that fires Evangelions. Not a very efficient use.
SailorStarDust:"No, everything has SOME meaning to it in Eva!"
Reichu on Sequel Theory:lights bandwagon on fire again:

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:17 pm

Yes, I took the title of the thread directly from Reichu's thread about the manga's ending.

The Dallas ending was later spoofed in an episode of Family Guy, in which the world had been destroyed in Y2K and such, and would upset continuity. At the end, in live-action, a woman wakes up and finds her husband in the shower and tells him about this dream she had about the weirdest episode of Family Guy

Sandoz
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby Sandoz » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:21 pm

NAveryW wrote:The Dallas ending was later spoofed in an episode of Family Guy, in which the world had been destroyed in Y2K and such, and would upset continuity. At the end, in live-action, a woman wakes up and finds her husband in the shower and tells him about this dream she had about the weirdest episode of Family Guy

The joke being that they're the same two actors from Dallas.

Back on topic: Um...No severed arm ending. I hope.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:35 pm

Ah, really? Interesting fact! I've never seen the actual episode, you see...

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:40 pm

Personally, when I hear a new ending, I want a NEW ending!!!

I pray and hope that there's no Rei arm falling off, no Harpies, no forehead vaginas, no goofy alternate universe, and no freaking beach scene with Asuka that's only difference is now its cornier than James Cameron;s TITANIC.

I want, hope, and desire that if the series really is getting a revamp up to Episode 24, once Kaworu's big fat head hits that pool of Lilith Menstral Blood I want the entire story to go in such a new and different path that no fan can sit there and say "Hey, this reminds me of EOE"

If this means Shinji finally getting some, or Pen-Pen releasing his spiral energy, or freaking Kaji drives up in a Time-Traveling Delorean and fixes everything then that's cool.

Just don't give me End of Evangelion....The Happy Version.

The Goose
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby The Goose » Wed Sep 19, 2007 5:48 am

All I want from the ending is a clue that Rei, at least, survives.

Cone
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Cone » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:42 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Personally, when I hear a new ending, I want a NEW ending!!!

I pray and hope that there's no Rei arm falling off, no Harpies, no forehead vaginas, no goofy alternate universe, and no freaking beach scene with Asuka that's only difference is now its cornier than James Cameron;s TITANIC.

I want, hope, and desire that if the series really is getting a revamp up to Episode 24, once Kaworu's big fat head hits that pool of Lilith Menstral Blood I want the entire story to go in such a new and different path that no fan can sit there and say "Hey, this reminds me of EOE"

If this means Shinji finally getting some, or Pen-Pen releasing his spiral energy, or freaking Kaji drives up in a Time-Traveling Delorean and fixes everything then that's cool.

Just don't give me End of Evangelion....The Happy Version.

Amen to that
I thought I knew something about Eva... Poor kid... <=)

machinamar
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby machinamar » Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:54 pm

I really hope they don't go down a road similar to End of Eva -- with all that vulgarity it just didn't really click with me as a possible end to Evangelion. Of course, like Gendo'sPapa said, anything too happy would be bad as well haha.

Relating back to that whole Arqa thing, the more senior members here apparently spell it with a "k" (Arka) but I prefer the original spelling -- I THINK it is Kabbalistic in origin; as I said before, it's apparently one of the sections of the Garden of Eden.

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

•      
  •      

Postby NAveryW » Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:04 pm

Vulgarity? O_o If you mean the swearing and such, it was added in the English dub by ADV; it wasn't present in the Japanese version. If you mean nudity and sexual content, I don't consider it vulgar at all. It was done artistically and it was intended to be unsettling. Look up "superflat" on Wikipedia or some other source.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Sep 19, 2007 6:03 pm

At the end, in live-action, a woman wakes up and finds her husband in the shower and tells him about this dream she had about the weirdest episode of Family Guy

I remember seeing that Family Guy episode, I was wondering what that was about! ^_^;

Anyway, I think that Rebuild just being a dream that gives Post-3I Shinji strength would rule if done right:

~If he learns from it that he CAN become happy.

~Another mindfuck for the road: You start off thinking in Rebuild:01 "Hmm, maybe this IS after 3I?" only to find out that the blood/LCL seen is actual Adam's due to what happened during 2I instead. Plus the fact everything seen is "in effect" a dream, albeit Kaworu and Rei probably have something to do with this...

That's my two cents, anyway.

Either way, I think we WILL still get 3rd Impact and Pre-Instrumentality, but it will play out differently, the ending included, except for Shinji obviously still rejecting Instrumentality. THAT aspect would stay the same, I'd think. :shock:

I agree with NAveryW, that EoE (and EoTV to an extent, with it's nearly relentless psychological interrogations of the during in Pre-Instrumentality) is MEANT to be disturbing as a means of getting the point across: Instrumentality is NOT a pleasant thing to be going through; especially considering your in the midst of having your very self be shared with the rest of humanity, thereby losing your existence.

@ The Goose: We know Rei/Lilith survives.

It's just whether she's in a physical or spiritual form is what's up for debate. Also, Kaworu/Adam and whether or not ve survived is what we don't get to see.

Yasha
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Yasha » Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:56 am

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Anyway, I think that Rebuild just being a dream that gives Post-3I Shinji strength would rule if done right.

Personally, I don't think so. I consider oh-so-it-was-just-a-dream endings quite lame, since I would really be angry if I were to find out that all of the movies I was so excited about, all of the story, shortly everything the movies were about was just a... dream!?

machinamar
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby machinamar » Thu Sep 20, 2007 5:22 am

NAveryW wrote:If you mean nudity and sexual content, I don't consider it vulgar at all. It was done artistically and it was intended to be unsettling. Look up "superflat" on Wikipedia or some other source.

I sort of meant this haha. (I have never seen the dub, and I don't plan to.) It's not like I disagree with you and Sailor Stardust -- the nudity and gore were placed artistically -- but for some reason, whenever I watch End of Eva, it's because of the gratuitous usage of those elements that I don't really feel like I'm watching what could be the end to the series. Maybe the artistic elements lose their impact because they're used so much during the course of the movie, or something, I don't know. I just prefer EoTV more because it just feels more Eva. (That's incredibly ironic, I know.)

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”