How did you first get into Evangelion?

This is a forum for casual discussion of Evangelion. Topics like "Asuka is hot!" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?" belong here.

Moderator: Board Staff

天使 | Nyo | 天使
Embryo

Re: How did you first get into Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby 天使 | Nyo | 天使 » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:29 pm

View Original PostSawItAtAge10 wrote:Hey, congrats on discovering Eva! And good on you for watching the ADV dub, it really gets better as it goes along and the VAs get more acclimated to the characters, especially in the latter half of the show and in the movies. :)

I've DEFINITELY noticed how it does get better. I'm at episode 21 as of writing and it's probably one of the better dubs I've definitely watched (again, not saying much since the only other anime dub I've watched are the FMA 2003 and Brotherhood dubs.) I really enjoy the actors that were chosen for the roles, Shinji's dub actor in the ADV dub, in my opinion, is WAAAAY better than the Netflix one, the Netflix one sounds a little too...girly? I guess? It makes some kind of thematic sense since Shinji is both masculine and immasculine (at least in my eyes, and I'm not sure if that's how it's spelled) in various ways, so I guess the voice is appropriate, but it's not my cup of tea.
~Nyo :3

FelipeFritschF
Tunniel

Re: How did you first get into Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby FelipeFritschF » Mon Sep 09, 2019 1:32 pm

View Original Post天使 | Nyo | 天使 wrote:I've DEFINITELY noticed how it does get better. I'm at episode 21 as of writing and it's probably one of the better dubs I've definitely watched (again, not saying much since the only other anime dub I've watched are the FMA 2003 and Brotherhood dubs.) I really enjoy the actors that were chosen for the roles, Shinji's dub actor in the ADV dub, in my opinion, is WAAAAY better than the Netflix one, the Netflix one sounds a little too...girly? I guess? It makes some kind of thematic sense since Shinji is both masculine and immasculine (at least in my eyes, and I'm not sure if that's how it's spelled) in various ways, so I guess the voice is appropriate, but it's not my cup of tea.

I think that's something one has to be careful when adapting Eva - Shinji as a character plays with the uber masculine usual shounen protagonist, he tries to become that but generally fails. However, that doesn't man he is necessarily feminine so much as un-masculine. We have several female characters in the show, namely Asuka and Misato, who act "manly", if you take that as being determined, action-oriented, and in Misato's case more calm and rational than Shinji. But those qualities are never presented as being masculine (or being overemotional as being something feminine), but instead as simply mature.

Return to “Evangelion Chit-Chat”