Cruel Angel's Thesis - lyrics in instrumental section solved?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only.

Moderator: Board Staff

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and the End

Re: Cruel Angel's Thesis - lyrics in instrumental section solved?

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:15 am

@Gui - "Setameso", eh? That sounds like a fascinating find, I'm going to listen to both Ogata's and Takahashi's recordings as soon as I can. I'm busy as all hell right now so it's going to be some time before I get back to it. Does "Sera mesmo" translate into "is it really?" or anything similar in Portuguese? I agree that Takahashi is the person who knows best what is being sung. I've no idea if anyone from a Japanese-language fansite has interviewed her or come to their own interpretation of the lyrics.

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:According to the January '96 issue of Newtype magazine, that part can be transcribed as「ファリィア。セタ(orセパ)メッソ。ファリィア。トゥスェ」 "Fariya. Seta (or sepa) messo. Fariya. Tuse."

Source: Reddit

Thanks, hodges, but I have my reasons for not taking this transcription or Newtype's interpretation at face value. In addition to not sounding like what is actually being sung, I disagree with their interpretation of it -

From earlier in this thread wrote:From what I've gathered, Newtype magazine, the source for the misheard lyrics - speculates that it's meant to represent words from the language of the Dead Sea Scrolls and is therefore just gibberish. I'm personally not a fan of this idea, because Anno and his crew were really pretty good with the Angel names and characteristics and generally tried their best with English and German (even if it didn't always work out). For them to ask the songwriters to throw in nonsense during the instrumental section seems hopelessly out of character for them, but I can imagine them asking the songwriters to sneak in something in a foreign language.
[Became a moderator on December 31st, 2007. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX.
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

GuiBiancarelli
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby GuiBiancarelli » Fri Aug 02, 2019 4:38 pm

View Original PostUrsusArctos wrote:Does "Sera mesmo" translate into "is it really?" or anything similar in Portuguese?

It means something on the line of "could it be?" or "is that so?". I guess that "is it really?" is a valid one too :)

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:03 am

Hmm....since "Faria" does double-duty as "Would I do it?" and "Would he/she/it do it?", I'm going to give a crack at the lyrics. Given what imagery turns up during the lyrics, including Eva-01 and Yui's disappearance, I'm operating on the assumption that they're literally meant to be thoughts from Yui's perspective, translated to make them harder to access.

"Would I do it?"
"Is that so?"
"Would he/she do it?"
"I know"

Yui: "Would I dive into the core? Is that what could happen? Would [Gendo] take care of Shinji? I know he will, so I can go ahead." This is based off the contact experiment imagery. Of course, based on this interpretation, Yui might have reconsidered diving into Eva-01's core if she knew how bad a father Gendo turned out to be.

Alternatively -
"Would he/she do it?"
"Is that so?"
"Would I do it?"
"I know"

Yui: "Would Gendo really set off Second Impact with Adam? Is that what Seele's doing with Adam and Lilith? Would I dive into Eva-01's core? I know I must." Which would sort of make sense given the images that progress through the sequence, including those before the contact experiment.

These are both stretches, and I personally prefer the second interpretation as it would tie in with the images a lot better.
[Became a moderator on December 31st, 2007. Became an administrator on September 7th, 2013.]
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

GuiBiancarelli
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby GuiBiancarelli » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:18 am

Language-wise, it's totally correct. I don't know, however, if we can trace parallels between the lyrics and the pĺot, specially in Yui's case: The composing team was not aware of the show's context, and the HIP plot was only developed by Anno and team latter in the show, so despite Yui, Seele and Kaworu's presence in the opening images, the details of the circumstances involving them probably weren't even written at that time. I think it would be safer to assume that the phrases were meant to refer to Shinji and his struggles, whatever they might be (a common trope on anime and something the composing team could refer to even not knowing the specifics).
Regarding the lyrics transcription and translation from portuguese, I'm really happy with the outcome and, with the videos of Yoko's live performance providing the basis for the lyric's reading, I fully support your proposal as a valid and credible one, @UrsusArctos!
I'll keep checking hebrew genesis to see if something worth of note appears, but the lyrics being "Faria? Será mesmo? Faria? Eu sei!" is the most compelling possibility by now. ^_^

UrsusArctos

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Mon Aug 05, 2019 1:26 pm

@Gui - Thank you! ^_^ You've got a good point about the composing team, and I am rusty with my knowledge of NGE's production timeline so I don't know if they had the time to insert that kind of thing into the lengthened version of Cruel Angel's Thesis. Whoever's point of view it might be, if you think this sounds valid and compelling, I'm happy with it!

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:41 pm

Guys. This is, like, one of the biggest songs of this artist’s career, from one of the biggest IPs in the country. It always hits number 1 on karaoke machines. There has to be a more easily found Japanese source for what these lyrics say, possibly even from a karaoke machine, right?

Return to “Evangelion Discussion”