[Merch] Evangelion Figures Superthread [3]

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
supersonicshion
Embryo

Re: [Merch] Evangelion Figures Superthread [3]

•      
  •      

Postby supersonicshion » Sat Aug 03, 2019 6:27 pm

Thanks for your reply. I already bought the Chogokin Evas and will likely be adding the angels.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:51 pm

View Original Postsupersonicshion wrote:Thanks for your reply. I already bought the Chogokin Evas and will likely be adding the angels.

Check Mandarake, they pop in that site once every blue Moon, but will be significantly cheaper that even daring look for them on Ebay...
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

supersonicshion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby supersonicshion » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:53 pm

Yes sure! I did manage to grab some from Mandarake

TuckeredOut
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TuckeredOut » Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:50 am

hey fellas. can anyone give me like some general info on these figures? there's like 0 information beyond the line's name and which characters were released, can't find any reviews or anything. specifically looking at the beserk 01 right now but honestly anything will do. how good are these? looking for a good line of anime evas to collect that aren't the SOCspecs. Ended up getting a revo 004 01 but just wasn't a fan of revo joints so I'm looking for another line.

only really planning to get my favorites, eva-01, eva-02, and the mass production units. maybe a blue 00 if it comes with a spear of longinus

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:08 pm

View Original PostTuckeredOut wrote:hey fellas. can anyone give me like some general info on these figures? there's like 0 information beyond the line's name and which characters were released, can't find any reviews or anything.

Those are close to statues... Don't take me wrong, but nowadays their only redeeming quality is that they are kinda vintage...
If I recall correctly, only the elbows and knees can bend, wrist motion is limited. Not sure if shoulders move at all. Head, torso and hips are static... They are very close to proportion at the cost of mobility... Eva 00-Blue does come with a Lance of Longinus, but it has this flat section with a hole in the shaft because the hand of the Eva can only hold it with a peg...
If you want them just for display those are fairly good... I can't tell anything about sculpt or paint, I only ever saw one...
Now, if you want something a bit more... Mobile... Bandai models are also accurate, but you have to assemble them (and I think they would be cheaper than the SEGA ones)

supersonicshion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby supersonicshion » Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:52 pm

View Original PostTuckeredOut wrote:hey fellas. can anyone give me like some general info on these figures? there's like 0 information beyond the line's name and which characters were released, can't find any reviews or anything. specifically looking at the beserk 01 right now but honestly anything will do. how good are these? looking for a good line of anime evas to collect that aren't the SOCspecs. Ended up getting a revo 004 01 but just wasn't a fan of revo joints so I'm looking for another line.

only really planning to get my favorites, eva-01, eva-02, and the mass production units. maybe a blue 00 if it comes with a spear of longinus

To be fair I’m buying them again for nostalgic reasons. I used to have them all but sold them and I’d like to get them back at some point. Articulation is pretty much like every 90s figure: head, shoulders, elbows, wrists, legs and knees. They have good proportions and come with a lot of accessories but they can’t be posed accurately. Anyway I love them because as I said before, they bring me great memories from back in the day and they were the only figures until the Kaiyodo Xebec line came out. If you can get them for cheap then they are a good option. My main collection are the soul of chogokin first releases which are a huge upgrade over the Sega Real models. It’s also worth noting that this is the only action figure line with two angels!

visionfactory
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby visionfactory » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:04 am

View Original PostTuckeredOut wrote:hey fellas. can anyone give me like some general info on these figures? there's like 0 information beyond the line's name and which characters were released, can't find any reviews or anything. specifically looking at the beserk 01 right now but honestly anything will do. how good are these? looking for a good line of anime evas to collect that aren't the SOCspecs. Ended up getting a revo 004 01 but just wasn't a fan of revo joints so I'm looking for another line.

I was impressed by Sachiel Sega Real Model articulations, also Sachiel figure looks higher quality than the rest

supersonicshion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby supersonicshion » Sun Sep 08, 2019 8:46 pm

Hello everyone! Thanks for your advice.

Now I’m planning on starting with Revoltech, modern movie figures (not classical first releases). I was wondering if anyone could tell me the actual differences between Yamaguchi regular series and Evolution versions. Evo versions seem quite hard to find but Rebuild regular figures are more available. I can’t figure out the difference by myself since both look pretty good.

Comments will be appreciated. Thanks!

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:57 am

View Original Postsupersonicshion wrote:Hello everyone! Thanks for your advice.

Now I’m planning on starting with Revoltech, modern movie figures (not classical first releases). I was wondering if anyone could tell me the actual differences between Yamaguchi regular series and Evolution versions. Evo versions seem quite hard to find but Rebuild regular figures are more available. I can’t figure out the difference by myself since both look pretty good.

By Yamaguchi you mean these? For convenience, I call those the "2.0 Evas", because they were released alongside Evangelion 2.0.
Evangelion Evolutions were released much later. Yamaguchi is the sculptor of all Evangelion figures for the Revoltech line. As to how the 2.0 and EvaEvo figures differ... Well, basically everything... Sculpt, articulation, accessories... Evangelion Evolutions deviate from screen-accuracy to favor dynamism while 2.0 Evas are more screen accurate but not as dynamic.

View Original Postsupersonicshion wrote:Evo versions seem quite hard to find but Rebuild regular figures are more available.

Not sure I follow... EvaEvo versions are by far more common: every figure in that line has been re-released at least twice. Figures like Eva 01 and Mark 06 more than 3 times. This makes me wonder if you are not by any chance mixing them up with Robot Damashii (aka Robot Spirits) by Bandai. Those are pretty hard to find and expensive as a Play Arts figure...

View Original Postsupersonicshion wrote:I can’t figure out the difference by myself since both look pretty good.

Below, in my signature is a link to my Youtube channel. I have reviewed basically every Revoltech figure, both EvaEvos and 2.0 Evas (the ones I suppose you mean as "Yamaguchi"). You can check those out and then ask whichever question you have, otherwise I won't be much help :uhh:

supersonicshion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby supersonicshion » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:06 pm

View Original PostSEELE-01 wrote:By Yamaguchi you mean these? For convenience, I call those the "2.0 Evas", because they were released alongside Evangelion 2.0.
Evangelion Evolutions were released much later. Yamaguchi is the sculptor of all Evangelion figures for the Revoltech line. As to how the 2.0 and EvaEvo figures differ... Well, basically everything... Sculpt, articulation, accessories... Evangelion Evolutions deviate from screen-accuracy to favor dynamism while 2.0 Evas are more screen accurate but not as dynamic.

Not sure I follow... EvaEvo versions are by far more common: every figure in that line has been re-released at least twice. Figures like Eva 01 and Mark 06 more than 3 times. This makes me wonder if you are not by any chance mixing them up with Robot Damashii (aka Robot Spirits) by Bandai. Those are pretty hard to find and expensive as a Play Arts figure...

Below, in my signature is a link to my Youtube channel. I have reviewed basically every Revoltech figure, both EvaEvos and 2.0 Evas (the ones I suppose you mean as "Yamaguchi"). You can check those out and then ask whichever question you have, otherwise I won't be much help :uhh:

Thanks a lot for your reply. Yes I was actually referring to the Revoltech releases. As far as I have seen people complain a lot about QC issues and not so much screen accuracy. That's why I thought about the Robot Spirits. But Revoltech released a lot of characters. That's why I'm more inclined towards it (besides the price point).

What I still don't get very well is what difference is for example in Eva 02 Rebuild version between the first release and the Evolution release.

Thanks!

supersonicshion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby supersonicshion » Mon Sep 09, 2019 12:48 pm

View Original PostSEELE-01 wrote:By Yamaguchi you mean these? For convenience, I call those the "2.0 Evas", because they were released alongside Evangelion 2.0.

Also, I've been going through your videos and I have found a lot of information. So my last question would be... do you think I could buy the Robot Damashii 3 main Evas and then complete the rest with Revoltech Evolution? Scale wise, do you think they can be mixed up? I believe they could but I would like to have a final word from you. According to what I have seen they are in the same scale!

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:50 pm

View Original Postsupersonicshion wrote:As far as I have seen people complain a lot about QC issues and not so much screen accuracy. That's why I thought about the Robot Spirits.

QC is mostly limited to paint mishaps. To my knowledge, broken or bent parts are very rare. The only Eva I heard has QC issues frequently was the 2.0 Evangelion Unit 02. That one had a lot of issues with the pylon supports and with flimsy glue.

View Original Postsupersonicshion wrote:But Revoltech released a lot of characters. That's why I'm more inclined towards it (besides the price point).

Gollum voice: A fine choice, indeed.
Evangelion Evolution is the only line that made articulated figures of Eva 05. And they kept making them in the same style throughout the movies.

View Original Postsupersonicshion wrote:What I still don't get very well is what difference is for example in Eva 02 Rebuild version between the first release and the Evolution release.

They basically re-sculpted the entire figure. EvaEvos make use of rubbery parts in addition to the PVC to create more "organic-looking" sections. Details on the heads are much better and they abandoned the peg wrist-joint in favor of ball joint wrists. Shoulder pylons are held differently and hip articulations are better. If I'd go for any, I'd go for the EvaEvo at this point.

View Original Postsupersonicshion wrote:Also, I've been going through your videos and I have found a lot of information. So my last question would be... do you think I could buy the Robot Damashii 3 main Evas and then complete the rest with Revoltech Evolution? Scale wise, do you think they can be mixed up? I believe they could but I would like to have a final word from you. According to what I have seen they are in the same scale!

You could but you'd have to pony up over 70US for Eva 00 alone (not including shipping)
The problem with Robot Damashii is that out of the 7 figures released, 3 were limited editions (Eva 00 among those). Unlike Revos, that were re-released several times, RD's were never re-issued; that makes even the regular release figures far more expensive than your average Revoltech. Evas 01 and 02 will easily cost around 50US.
You could do as you propose, but bear in mind that whichever line you use to complete the lineup will stand out very noticeably from a RD figure by sculpt and quality alone (no point arguing that RD's have better sculpt and quality than Revos).
IMO, at this point and given how much Revoltech improved, RD's are not worth he trouble and cost.

supersonicshion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby supersonicshion » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:06 pm

View Original PostSEELE-01 wrote:QC is mostly limited to paint mishaps. To my knowledge, broken or bent parts are very rare. The only Eva I heard has QC issues frequently was the 2.0 Evangelion Unit 02. That one had a lot of issues with the pylon supports and with flimsy glue.

Gollum voice: A fine choice, indeed.
Evangelion Evolution is the only line that made articulated figures of Eva 05. And they kept making them in the same style throughout the movies.

They basically re-sculpted the entire figure. EvaEvos make use of rubbery parts in addition to the PVC to create more "organic-looking" sections. Details on the heads are much better and they abandoned the peg wrist-joint in favor of ball joint wrists. Shoulder pylons are held differently and hip articulations are better. If I'd go for any, I'd go for the EvaEvo at this point.

You could but you'd have to pony up over 70US for Eva 00 alone (not including shipping)
The problem with Robot Damashii is that out of the 7 figures released, 3 were limited editions (Eva 00 among those). Unlike Revos, that were re-released several times, RD's were never re-issued; that makes even the regular release figures far more expensive than your average Revoltech. Evas 01 and 02 will easily cost around 50US.
You could do as you propose, but bear in mind that whichever line you use to complete the lineup will stand out very noticeably from a RD figure by sculpt and quality alone (no point arguing that RD's have better sculpt and quality than Revos).
IMO, at this point and given how much Revoltech improved, RD's are not worth he trouble and cost.

Gracias amigo! Desde Argentina!

Thanks so much for your detailed answer. Right now I have a cool chance on RDs and they are not that expensive so I might pull the trigger and complete with the other ones later on. I understand that you are speaking in terms of sculpture and say, "personality" of the line and not quality or sculpt. I also understand that the hips on RDs are far from ideal but yet when you pose them it can go unnoticed. There's a lot of hype over RDs as well... maybe because Revos are not that hard to find?

I'm very tempted to get the RDs. Anyway if I have to go to ebay the regular Evos will cost me almost the same. Around USD 50 for a single figure since I would have to go to the after market. This is the picture that sold me mixing up both lines:

http://kaijuplanet.blogspot.com/2013/02 ... elion.html

I've seen the comparison you made on both units 02.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Mon Sep 09, 2019 3:46 pm

View Original Postsupersonicshion wrote:Gracias amigo! Desde Argentina!

(grito de mariachi desde México)

View Original Postsupersonicshion wrote:if I have to go to ebay

Do not set foot on that den of scalpers and thieves!
Use Mandarake for Lilith's sake!

Ebay should be your last choice unless you are in an auction not based in China. Even when not, international shipping costs from Ebay are a blatant ripoff!
At Mandarake you have to wait for a product to pop into one of the stores, but trust me, if will be way cheaper than Ebay on the long run...

supersonicshion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby supersonicshion » Mon Sep 09, 2019 4:07 pm

View Original PostSEELE-01 wrote:(grito de mariachi desde México)

Do not set foot on that den of scalpers and thieves!
Use Mandarake for Lilith's sake!

Ebay should be your last choice unless you are in an auction not based in China. Even when not, international shipping costs from Ebay are a blatant ripoff!
At Mandarake you have to wait for a product to pop into one of the stores, but trust me, if will be way cheaper than Ebay on the long run...

Lol I know my friend! I’ve been to Mandarake even in person since I visited Japan. Only at that time I wasn’t planning on renewing my Evangelion collection. Mandarake has almost none of the Evos so I pulled the trigger on the three main RDs and I had a very good deal. I may complete the modern figures with Revos later on. Thanks SO much for your help it’s also nice keeping these boards alive. There used to be a lot going on back in the day!

evanrue
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby evanrue » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:53 pm

Hi, im new to this forum, but has been a long Eva fan, and forum stalker ^_^

I have the Bandai SOC Spec XS-03 Eva-01 and XS-04 Eva-00, and unfortunately, the SPEC line do not have the Rebuild Eva-02 unit. Was looking at reviews of the Kotobukiya 1/400 scale Eva-02 rebuild version and noted that all online retailers peg it at 19 cm tall. Though I'm not sure if it is 19 cm tall all the way to the top of the shoulder pylon or just the top of the head. Either way, it seems to be at the right scale/height with the SOC SPEC series. Im wondering if anyone here has both the SPEC and Koto kit and can compare the height.

Bandai kits are definitely too tall.

supersonicshion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby supersonicshion » Mon Sep 09, 2019 10:48 pm

View Original Postevanrue wrote:Hi, im new to this forum, but has been a long Eva fan, and forum stalker ^_^

I have the Bandai SOC Spec XS-03 Eva-01 and XS-04 Eva-00, and unfortunately, the SPEC line do not have the Rebuild Eva-02 unit. Was looking at reviews of the Kotobukiya 1/400 scale Eva-02 rebuild version and noted that all online retailers peg it at 19 cm tall. Though I'm not sure if it is 19 cm tall all the way to the top of the shoulder pylon or just the top of the head. Either way, it seems to be at the right scale/height with the SOC SPEC series. Im wondering if anyone here has both the SPEC and Koto kit and can compare the height.

Bandai kits are definitely too tall.

Not me sorry buddy! That’s quite a fail since it’s the only SPEC missing. I always have doubts of figures compatibility and scales. I can’t help you with this one. Maybe you should check it out on YouTube

evanrue
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby evanrue » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:19 pm

View Original Postsupersonicshion wrote:Not me sorry buddy! That’s quite a fail since it’s the only SPEC missing. I always have doubts of figures compatibility and scales. I can’t help you with this one. Maybe you should check it out on YouTube

Thanks for the reply. Watched numerous YT reviews and can't find one comparing the SPEC with the Koto kit. But I've just purchased a Koto 02 so will get the definitive answer by next week. I'll share it here for posterity :wink:

supersonicshion
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby supersonicshion » Mon Sep 09, 2019 11:50 pm

View Original Postevanrue wrote:Thanks for the reply. Watched numerous YT reviews and can't find one comparing the SPEC with the Koto kit. But I've just purchased a Koto 02 so will get the definitive answer by next week. I'll share it here for posterity :wink:

Looking forward to seeing it!

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:55 pm

View Original Postsupersonicshion wrote:Lol I know my friend! I’ve been to Mandarake even in person since I visited Japan. Only at that time I wasn’t planning on renewing my Evangelion collection. Mandarake has almost none of the Evos so I pulled the trigger on the three main RDs and I had a very good deal. I may complete the modern figures with Revos later on. Thanks SO much for your help it’s also nice keeping these boards alive. There used to be a lot going on back in the day!

Oh, Ok... If you found a decent price go ahead then... RD's are some of the best Evas in that size!

As for the SOC vs Kotobukiya kits, according to this thread, TMBounty_Hunter lists the size of the Kotobukiya models at 19cm to the pylon (considering a 4cm difference to the Bandai kits). If anyone here has a SOC they could provide height to compare, digitally at least...

Also, two new members in less than a month... That's unusual :uhh:

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”