Trailer 2 discussion thread

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Trailer 2 discussion thread

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:31 pm

The weird "perfect gradient" background plus the bizarre glow in Rei's eyes do seem to point in the direction that Rei is somewhere that they don't want us to know about, looking at something that they don't want us to know about. I suspect something weird/bad/whatever is going to happen to her. I detail this further in the news post I made -- look under Sn109.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 5:08 pm

3.0 trailers hid the DSS Choker, so this wouldn't be new.
Or Rei is standing in front of Joseki's screen.
Wouldn't be the first time she jumps around in time either.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

dinovan
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby dinovan » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:45 am

I think Shinji/mark 06 will play a role in evangelion 3.0+1.0. If I remember correctly, there was some kind of art which has a decapitated eva carrying a spear of longinus with a long hair girl behind (possibly Asuka). Does anyone still have it?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:43 am

Mark.06 is gone. Toast. Kaput. It bought the farm. It is pining for the fjords. Etc.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:41 am

Evangelion 13 has also long replaced it (Mark.06) with regards to importance in the narrative.

Fuyutsuki looking sinister isn't too shocking as there is something sketchy about him in this continuity. His information drop to Shinji in 3.0, which seemed more about breaking him than helping/consoling him, always rung alarms to me. No reason, IF that is Rei Q, he wouldn't do the same to her after the "LOL. Rei is your mom" with Shin-chan.

Melkor
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Melkor » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:15 pm

It's a real shame we never got to see Mark.06 in action. It was teased in 1.0, finally shows up in the end credits scene of 2.0, and then cut to 3.0 it's already out of commission and gets killed as soon as it reawakens. Well that was a whole lot of hype for nothing. I wish we could have at least seen it participate in one fight against an Angel before going out like Kaworu and losing its head. I really liked it's design. I was so badass.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Mon Jul 22, 2019 5:19 pm

∆ A further way of showing the audience the impact of Shinji's mistakes.
Nice subversion of our expectations imo.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:29 pm

View Original PostMelkor wrote:gets killed as soon as it reawakens.

It was already dead. The armor was just a shell for the 12th Angel at that point. Mk.6 might have "actually" died when its core got impaled by one of the spears. While that's something other Adams like Eva-01 and Eva-13 have survived, it could have compromised Mk.6 enough for the Angel to take hold.

I wasn't fond of the choice at first either, but ... you make peace with it. It's a very effective way to show that some major shit went down between films. Like, Third Impact was BAD. Really, REALLY bad. That Seele were willing to throw Mark.06 at the problem shows you just how bad it was. That was their pick for "True Evangelion", a means of fulfilling the covenant and resurrecting Lilith. They had to sacrifice it (and ultimately for nothing, too...) because letting an Angel successfully complete an Impact using Lilith would have precluded any possibility of fulfilling their plans. And that loss informs everything they've done since. With it dead, they have to completely regroup. They're ultimately forced to work with Gendo and to sacrifice "their boy", Kaworu, to make Eva-13 usable for their plans in Mark.06's place.

For something completely different, BlueBasilisk pointed out to me that Gargoyle's ship in Nadia incorporates a sort of pyramidal structure with spires on the top...

SPOILER: Show

Anticipation for Dark Fuyutsuki in his flying pyramid vs. Captain Nemo Misato in the Neo Nautilus AAA Wunder intensifies!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Giji Shinka
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby Giji Shinka » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:31 am

I like the role of Mark.06 as something that stopped the 12th angel and halted the 3rd impact, but I hope we at least see a flashback of the unit fighting/sealing away the angel. (The whole theme of the next movie is likely Shinji "learning about the world and growing up" and part of that is learning how the 3rd impact went down.

UrsusArctos
The Beginning and The End
The Beginning and The End

•      
  •      

Postby UrsusArctos » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:48 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:Mk.6 might have "actually" died when its core got impaled by one of the spears. While that's something other Adams like Eva-01 and Eva-13 have survived <snip>

But that messes up a key element of your own theory in which you suggested that the Mark.06 was an Adam and Mari's original body. If the Mark.06 was Mari's old body and therefore one of the Adams, it'd have survived that spear.
(Was Board Staff from Dec 31, 2007 - Oct 17, 2015 and Oct 20, 2020 - Aug 1, 2021)
Not knowing that Monk is bi is like not knowing the Pope is Catholic - ZapX
You're either really bad at interpreting jokes or really good at pretending you are and I have no idea which.-Monk Ed
WAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!(<-link to lunacy)...Taste me, if you can bear it. (Warning: Language NSFW)
The main point of idiocy is for the smart to have their lulz. Without human idiocy, trolling would not exist, and that's uncool, since a large part of my entertainment consists of mocking the absurdity and dumbassery of the world, especially the Internet.-MaggotMaster

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:47 am

I addressed that in the part you didn't quote. It wasn't the Spear itself that killed Mark.06, but it weakened the Eva enough to be completely consumed by the 12th Angel. The Spears don't kill 01 or 13, but they clearly do compromise them significantly -- meaning something else could come in and kill them with greater ease, if given the opportunity. My writing was a little confusing there, I admit... :sweatdrop:

Rest of my trailer commentary, for anybody who is into that sort of thing. Since it's in text form, you can easily skip past the parts where I talk too much!
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

JohnBooty
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby JohnBooty » Tue Jul 23, 2019 8:34 pm

View Original PostCaroline L.S. wrote:I wonder if the lack of any story and particularly scarce use of Asuka and Shinji is a good thing or real bummer. I mean, sure they dont want to spoil it in trailers and if so, they are doing great job. Still I wonder.

I worry about that too... like in the Rebuilds in general. The robot action and the lore is fun, but ultimately Eva's a story about characters.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Jul 24, 2019 12:11 am

^ The marketing for the Rebuilds has always put the action front and center with small glimpses of the character work.
Most of the marketing for 3.0 all circled around the retrieval of Unit 01... the first six or so minutes of the movie. Very little of the core of the film - Shinji’s breakdown and isolation - was in the marketing. Shinji’s journey is going to the center of the film. Asuka... she might have more screentime than in 3.0 but in this version she’s a supporting character.

Plus we’re still almost a year out.

Unless they really drop the ball, if you liked the three movies released so far you’ll probably like Final. If you didn’t like the three movies released so far don’t expect this to change things.

Me, I’ve loved the three Rebuilds so my hopes & anticipation for Final is high!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 24, 2019 1:25 am

Here's something I haven't seen brought up specifically.

There are four consecutive "Final Impact" cuts in the trailer. So, we actually get a tiny glimpse of a key part of the movie here. We're shown Eva-02 being dropped off outside of the Gates of Guf, where it descends through the FoI swarms with that giant gun toward an unknown destination/target. Wunder proceeds toward the Impact epicenter. In other words, they split up. There's something important enough happening OUTSIDE OF the Gates for Wille to send one of their only Evas to deal with it.

The mind boggles about what this could be be... Obviously Eva-02's target is not for us filthy plebs to know right now. Like, what could possibly be critical enough to be more worthy of a whole Eva's attention than the shit directly causing Final Impact? Something, I'm sure, I just have no idea what.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:42 am

Asuka... she might have more screentime than in 3.0 but in this version she’s a supporting character

I'm hoping Asuka will have a really important role here. The dynamic between her and (broken) Shinji has lots of potential. And obviously, she's always been one of my favourite characters.

Mostly I just want the movie to be good though, however it achieves that.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Wed Jul 24, 2019 10:16 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:^ The marketing for the Rebuilds has always put the action front and center with small glimpses of the character work.
Most of the marketing for 3.0 all circled around the retrieval of Unit 01... the first six or so minutes of the movie. Very little of the core of the film - Shinji’s breakdown and isolation - was in the marketing.

Unit 13 made very scarce appearances in the pre-release marketing. I recall a single tv spot featuring the shot where Unit 02's entry into Central Dogma knocks it off balance. It's a wide shot and cuts very quickly so you can't tell it's not Unit 01.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 24, 2019 11:02 am

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:I'm hoping Asuka will have a really important role here.

If I'm right, Asuka possesses the true soul of Eva-13. With the implied triggering of Final Impact using Eva-13 and the Key of Nebuchadnezzar, and the eventual Alchemical Marriage of Eva-13 and Eva-01, Asuka will hopefully have to confront her true nature and be placed at front and center of proceedings.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 3:24 pm

∆ If that stuff comes true in the film, I wonder if Anno would just vaguely hint at it as he often does. Still so many mysteries in Rebuild.

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:Unit 13 made very scarce appearances in the pre-release marketing. I recall a single tv spot featuring the shot where Unit 02's entry into Central Dogma knocks it off balance. It's a wide shot and cuts very quickly so you can't tell it's not Unit 01.

That was actually not pre release. It's the spot that came out the day of release, more "spoiler" heavy, with Sakura Nagashi in the background (nostalgia...)

Stan
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Stan » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:20 pm

Do we have any theories what's inside the Gates of Guf? I recall 3.0 having a brief glimpse of some sort of cross in there. Or are they just a result of an Impact similar to the wave that turned everyone into LCL and erected the green crosses across the planet in EOE?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:28 pm

I wouldn't say a "Trailer #2" topic is the right place for it, but, yeah, that object has been discussed before (dedicated thread; I can restore the broken wiki image links upon request), and I've started revisiting it recently if you follow my posts at all.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”