[Game] Neon Genesis Evangelion 2: Another Cases

For talking about everything else Evangelion: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

Re: [Game] Neon Genesis Evangelion 2: Another Cases

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:17 am

Thanks, SSD! Nice to have them out of the way at last!

I'm forcing myself to do the... not-so-fun parts of the game right now. I have no idea how to inject text into the ROM without deeRez around currently to hold my hand, but I'm doing a subtitled playthrough (...VERY SLOWLY) if ya'll want to pretend.

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:59 pm

Some technical notes for later (whenever deeRez returns from IRL):

1. I'm discovering some text that's not in any of the patch files. (I know, right? Stubborn junk is hiding everywhere!) I'll be keeping track of it as it go and I'll post a listing later.

2. Right now, the patch files have identical occurrences of any dialogue collapsed into a single occurrence. So, for instance:

Code: Select all

# Shinji Ikari, Rei Ayanami, Misato Katsuragi, Shigeru Aoba, Ritsuko Akagi, Makoto Hyuga, Female Staff
"はい。\n\0":
'???',

This is from evs_2, and the line in question in "Hai". Having every instance of this collapsed, and calling upon a single translation, is a bit of a problem, since a lot of these brief, recurring utterances are VERY context-specific. One person's "hai" could be "Yes, sir", another person's "hai" could be "Okay" or "Sure". Another time, the smoothest translation might have it bounce off whatever it's responding to. So basically, these need to be split back apart so that they can be translated contextually. I'm not sure how to do that without breaking things, though, so for now I'll just keep notes on which lines will eventually require the treatment.

Ambiant23
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby Ambiant23 » Sun Mar 03, 2019 6:51 pm

How far is progress so far?

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Mar 05, 2019 5:37 am

View Original PostAmbiant23 wrote:How far is progress so far?

You're welcome to scan through the patch files on the GitHub and marvel at the sheer amount of stuff that doesn't have any translation yet.

DeeRez once calculated completion percentages but he hasn't been active for a while. Incidentally, without him around, progress doesn't mean much anyway.

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Mon Jun 10, 2019 2:40 am

I’m still here, I kind of stopped checking up on Eva in hopes of making the wait for the final less painful. :-|

I’ll have to read up on the questions previously asked, but awesome job keeping the translations going until March!
In and of itself, self-evident.

Tumbling Down
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:21 am

I'm surprised that Gainax/Khara/whoever doesn't see potential for profit in releasing this game to English-speaking audiences, or other Eva games for that matter. They're releasing the first of the ANIMA novels in English later this year, and it's hard for me to imagine that an Evangelion novel would sell more copies than a video game.

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:59 am

Seven Seas are the ones who are releasing Anima overseas, not khara.

Tumbling Down
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:01 pm

I know that a patch doesn't exist, but is there a decent enough translated script online that I could refer to the script as I was playing?

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:22 am

I linked to the patch files on this very page of the thread. Whatever's there is what you get.

Tumbling Down
Sahaquiel
Sahaquiel

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:43 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:I linked to the patch files on this very page of the thread. Whatever's there is what you get.

Thanks/sorry. I only did a Google search and looked at the first page, didn't look at this page.

I did the math awhile back to see how much it would cost to pay someone to translate an anime, but I have no idea how I'd calculate that for a game, since I don't even know what I'm looking at in these files.

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:38 am

Well, between those patch files, you're looking at every piece of extracted raw Japanese that's in the non-graphical portion of the game. Everything there would have to be eventually translated, and you can probably see that it is a pretty huge amount of text. There's a good reason nobody has bothered translating this thing before.

Trying to play through the game while attempting to consult with several text-based translation files for every little decision you have to make and everything anybody says sounds like the epitome of "you might as well just force yourself to learn Japanese; it would be a better use of your time". Otherwise, it's just a matter of waiting, really. DeeRez and I got it started, it's just stalled at the moment. People who translate and patch games for fun have lives outside of that. I've been waiting on the patched version of Napple Tale -- which has basically no text at all compared to NGE2 -- for years now, and after a while you just get used to hearing "yes, it's still being worked on, please be patient".

scenikeight
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby scenikeight » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:11 am

Reichu, are you guys looking for any more translators? I'd happily put my hand up to contribute, even just a little bit, especially considering how much of it isn't done yet. After SIRP I've been dying for another Eva game project to get stuck into.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”