You’re put in charge of the 4kids dub of this show...

This is a forum for casual discussion of Evangelion. Topics like "Asuka is hot!" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?" belong here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Ghdust
Embryo

You’re put in charge of the 4kids dub of this show...

•      
  •      

Postby Ghdust » Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:49 am

Say you get put in charge of a hypothetical 4Kids Entertainment dub of Eva. Nothing has to be changed except A: the cast must now have westernized names, and B: The setting is changed from post-apocalyptic Japan to somewhere else of your choice.

Where would you move the setting and what “Western” names would you give the characters?

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

Re: You’re put in charge of the 4kids dub of this show...

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Jul 04, 2019 8:05 am

I'd quit my job in protest because the media is already american-centered enough and American youngsters would do well to learn to emphasize with ppl in other countries, many of them don't even learn a single foreign language.

Obviously not ALL Americans see every halfway decent person you know, american culture has many cool parts about it etc, but there's enough such ppl to cause a problem. They even treat us Europeans like fucking vassals or theme park jokes and we're supposed to be a 'related' culture, never mind the whole rest of the world! Everyone gets American TV but Americans can't suffer a single show with foreigners in it?
I mean there's nothing wrong with watching stuff from your own country because you like it and they depict things more than your own life,lots of good media comes from the USA, but to take a foreign show and americanize it is a whole different matter - it's like you don't want kids to know that other countries also make good TV...
You can kinda forgive it with stuff aimed at preschoolers because it's supposed to be fun not social studies class but even that is getting kinda obsolete these days

My Ex-boyfriend (He was Indian) and I once concluded that we each got most of the misinformation about each other's countries from USA media...

But if we were to humor the Premise:

Obviously it would need to be somewhere with Water/ Coastline and large cities, and you'd want to keep names with similar connotations and meanings sorta like what the Phoenix Wright localization did. Insofar as I know the USA has two mayor coastlines all full of cities. The Pacific coast has some of the high tech industry places doesn't it? So maybe that'd be a good place for Mad Science (TM), giant monsters approaching from the sea is a must.

So Shinji would get some 'everyman' name with some subtle 'religious' connotations ('John' perhaps?), whereas Kaworu would have to get something old-timesy sounding that invokes romantic heroism (maybe something Olde English or Celtic sounding). idk if you could manage to translate the aquatic theme I don't know enough about 'merrican ship naming conventions, but isn't it mostly girl's names?
I think a few of those cringey LAEM sketches tried to go with "Kate Rose" for Asuka which kinda fits like it should be a name that makes you smell the 'conventionally attractive' XD Perhaps Rei could get 'Phoebe' or 'Diana' bc Moon

Or, how about putting everything in Europe/Africa/India/Latin America etc? Makes just as much or just as little sense. Maybe Africa would be a stretch given the character designs but they're stylized enough for everything else to work XD Move everyone to Wilhelmshaven or Bremen! Touji gets to be Turkish or Syrian. Hikari gets some stereotypical good girl name like "Annemarie" or "Lisa". Kaworu gets names for some medieval minstrel. Amusing local accents for everyone! Sounds ridiculous right

I mean in -universe they're in Japan because that's where the black moon ended up by random plate tectonics, so it could have happened just about everywhere else.
Make Clone Love Not Clone War

Melkor
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Melkor » Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:25 pm

Seeing this thread, I'm immediately reminded of this parody of what a 4kidz Evangelion opening would be like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyIpijrLlcM

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:57 pm

Pfff it actually got some nice rythm thats probably the worst XD
Make Clone Love Not Clone War

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:16 am

INT. COCKPIT

LIQUID fills the Eva cockpit. Shinji quickly holds his breath to keep from drowning.

Ritsuko: That's LCL, it'll oxygenate your lungs directly.

Shinji exhales, then gulps in breaths of the LCL LIQUID.

Shinji: I feel sick.

Misato: Shut up, you're a man, aren't you?

Shinji doesn't seemed to empowered by that answer.

Maya: All clear.

Rituko: Ready for launch.

Misato: Evangelion Unit 01, lift off!

UNIT 01 is LAUNCHED up the ELEVATOR SHAFT.

EXT. TOKYO-3 STREET - NIGHT

A METAL DOOT opens up the ROAD and UNIT 01 springs out. The ANGEL notices him and starts advancing.

Misato: Okay, let's just try walking first, okay?

Shinji takes a FEW STEPS with the Unit 01, inching his way closer to the ANGEL.

Suddenly, Unit 01 pulls out a DUEL DISK, ornate with all sorts of YU-GI-OH PLAYING CARDS

Shinji: IT'S TIME TO D-D-D-D-D-D-D-DUUUUUULLLEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!

Shinji and the Angel break several rules to Yu-Gi-Oh as they play each other. Eventually, the Angel is sent to the Shadow Realm.

Return to “Evangelion Chit-Chat”