Netflix English Dub Discussion

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Netflix English Dub Discussion

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:42 am

ShinKikoho96: If you have something to add to the discussion's designated purpose, feel free to do so. But I'm going to ask that the gatekeeping stop immediately.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Tumbling Down
Ireul
Ireul

•      
  •      

Postby Tumbling Down » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:01 am

I'm on episode 9. Asuka's line delivery is significantly less obnoxious in this dub than in the previous dub and, according to my extremely limited ability to understand foreign vocal intonation, the original Japanese audio. This makes Kensuke and Tojis' complaints about her come off as unnecessary, because she isn't actually that bad.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:11 pm

I've watched a bunch of episodes now with the new dub, and it's kinda cemented my earlier opinions. The new dub is a moderate improvement overall, and Asuka's new VA is inarguably the biggest improvement over the previous dub.

I also just noticed that they corrected that one scene in 22 where they loop Asuka introducing herself. In the original Japanese dub, they switched female VA's with every repetition. The people behind the ADV dub failed to recognize that and just had Grant repeat the same dialogue 4 times. It's been fixed with the new Netflix dub.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:17 pm

View Original PostTumbling Down wrote:This makes Kensuke and Tojis' complaints about her come off as unnecessary, because she isn't actually that bad.

Their complaints are specifically about her having a lousy personality. (This is mentioned at the beginning of episode 9, though I can't recall how the Netflix versions handle that part.) First impressions, after all, were getting slapped by her because... an ocean breeze blew her sun dress up. Also recall that she stepped on Toji's hat while it was blowing around, and then refused to relinquish it to him despite pretty obvious cues signaling she should do so, opting instead to blather on about herself.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:34 pm

They say something to the effect that she's pretty but photographs don't capture her personality. Which is true, she doesn't get on with the two of them at all and can be a real jerkass, but she's not like that all the time.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Luigi shinji
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Luigi shinji » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:22 pm

Is it worth to make a Netflix accunt for this version?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:25 pm

Are you dissatisfied with what you have already?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Luigi shinji
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Luigi shinji » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:33 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Are you dissatisfied with what you have already?

No I just want to know it is good enough to pay Netflix for it.

ChaddyManPrime
Angel
Angel

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:43 pm

Luigi Shinji wrote:Is it worth to make a Netflix accunt for this version?

It's a mixed bag? But leaning slightly to the bad side of the scale. I would say skip it and pray for the release of the blue ray release.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

Luigi shinji
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Luigi shinji » Sun Jun 23, 2019 2:45 pm

View Original PostChaddyManPrime wrote:It's a mixed bag? But leaning slightly to the bad side of the scale. I would say skip it and pray for the release of the blue ray release.

OK sir thanks for your advice :asuka_happy:

To be honest my biggest dream is an offical releas in my country but that probably never gonna happend :shinchair:

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:46 pm

Others say the subs and dub are both improvements to a greater or lesser extent. You can't really decide without trying for yourself, or deciding if you would benefit merely from a different translation.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:13 pm

No one thing is worth paying the monthly subscription fee for Netflix.
That's around $120 a year for the basic account. Much more if you want better image quality.
Do some research and see if Netflix has enough various titles of movies, documentaries, shows and what not in its current library that entices you personally. Also see if Netflix has things currently in production that you really want to see.

But just signing up to Netflix for one title? No. Maybe sign up, do the two week test - I think they still offer that - and then cancel once you finish Eva.

ErgoProxy
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby ErgoProxy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:44 pm

^ Ditto.

Now for something completely different:

Luigi Shinji wrote:To be honest my biggest dream is an offical release in my country but that probably never gonna happen

Then I would say, it's a job for to you. I mean, go and look around for folks sharing your anime interest, choose two or three reliable, trustworthy persons and start a business together. If you succeed, you eventually will be able to negotiate with Khara. If you won't succeed - well, shit happens sometimes, but in my opinnion everything is better than sitting with your arms down and waiting for someone else to make you happy.

To motivate you a bit more, CD Projekt (the guys responsible for the Witcher games) started their business simply as CD resellers at some bazaar. Now look where they are years later.
JUSTICE & MERCY

Luigi shinji
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Luigi shinji » Mon Jun 24, 2019 7:31 am

View Original PostErgoProxy wrote:^ Ditto.

Now for something completely different:

Then I would say, it's a job for to you. I mean, go and look around for folks sharing your anime interest, choose two or three reliable, trustworthy persons and start a business together. If you succeed, you eventually will be able to negotiate with Khara. If you won't succeed - well, shit happens sometimes, but in my opinnion everything is better than sitting with your arms down and waiting for someone else to make you happy.

To motivate you a bit more, CD Projekt (the guys responsible for the Witcher games) started their business simply as CD resellers at some bazaar. Now look where they are years later.

That's the most emotional message I ever got :shinji_boohoo: o7

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:16 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:No one thing is worth paying the monthly subscription fee for Netflix.

The first month is free anyway, so you can do the free trail then let it go...just saying. :popcorn:
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Jun 24, 2019 8:29 am

Is it the first month free now?
Then yeah, if you really want do the free trial for a month and binge as much as you can.
Then cancel.

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:01 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:"Grace" is a perfectly valid translation of koui. (Scroll down to the Wordnet entries here.) Considering who and what Kaworu is, evoking God is not exactly inappropriate. :p

The uproar over suki and cries over -- lmfao -- "censorship" makes me just shake my head. You're correct that "like" perfectly captures the ambiguity of the word, but even more than that, the way Kaworu says it is somewhat indirect in the first place (in a way that does not really translate at all)! It was never meant to be some straightforward declaration of gay love or whatever.

Oh, dub? I have zero affection for the old one and am glad there's something actually completely free of the usual suspects for a change. It's not without its disappointments, but I'll gladly judge its failures in the context of it being a fresh attempt at adaptation, and not as an endless series of comparisons to a previous dub created under suboptimal conditions.

I think the main reason this bothers me (and many others) so greatly is that the two camps of sub vs. dub have always been able to get along because of the availability of and access to both. (I'm a a pro-dub person myself as I do not speak Japanese nor I do I wish to read as I watch do to my astigmatism) But this...it feels almost Orwellian in how the original dub has been ousted and replaced.

And I know, they got the translations wrong here and there and so many other things bout "nuance" and performance. I get it. The thing is, not even from a nostalgia point of view, the phrasing at certain parts matters as an English speaker who listens to dubs.

Changing "I'm so fucked up" to "Im the lowest of the low" and "Love" to "Like" matters. It feels like some context has been lost now.
FROM EVANGELION:
"Acts of Man are greater than acts of God!"

"I'm saying that I love you."

NOT FROM EVANGELION:
"You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold."

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:12 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Is it the first month free now?
Then yeah, if you really want do the free trial for a month and binge as much as you can.
Then cancel.

Yeah when I signed up it was and in the UK it still is, I basically got it for Stranger Things and the upcoming Dark Crystal series.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

fnikhall
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby fnikhall » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:13 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:The new Asuka was the best change of the bunch and the new Misato was the worst - mainly because I think Allison Keith was the one member of the NGE and Rebuild dubs who actually did some pretty great performance work. The consistent thing I felt in the roughly four episodes worth of dubbed material I watched was that the performers were pretty good in casual conversation sequences but struggled in scenes were they had to really emote. Some readings came off very flat.

I know the Internet is binary now but from what little I listened to the new Eva Dub is definitely not "trash" nor is it likely "amazing". It sounds okay.

pretty much completely agree with this
"Just 'cause you feel it
Doesn't mean it's there" – There, There. Radiohead

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 9:15 am

View Original Postpearisdriving wrote:Some people value authenticity over quality and they tend to be on the 'no dub' policy not because they think all dubs are low quality trash or anything. Of course there are people that are the latter but it does not really seem to be the case in this thread.

It still comes across as snobbish behavior when you have the purists outright insulting the people who prefer dubs and take issue with this new one by saying, with noses raised high up, as if it's objective fact:

"the old dub was shit and I don't even care about the new dub because subs are superior anyway."

This gets frustrating to say these least.
FROM EVANGELION:
"Acts of Man are greater than acts of God!"

"I'm saying that I love you."

NOT FROM EVANGELION:
"You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold."

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”