Godzilla & Kaiju General!

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Re: Godzilla & Kaiju General!

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:17 am

The music choices in this trailer and the teaser sound idiotic if you say them out loud, and yet they work perfectly.

This one dropped a little more plot info.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Apr 08, 2019 7:58 am

Had the misfortune of watching Netflix Godzilla Planet eater the other night everything FreakyFilmFan4ever said was right and I could go in to a rant about how the female character treatment has been massively problamtic in these films and the third just hammers that nail in even further with damsel in distress tropes and everyone gotta love the hero and are just there to be in love with him and have next to no agency of there own but a few reviewers on the web have already brought this up so I'm just gonna leave it at that and say these films deserve there branding as the worst and deserve to be forgotten.

Side note this makes me look at Godzilla Revenge very differently and though its a bit off the wall in places it still tries harder than the netflix movies do to work at its characters and give story.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Apr 08, 2019 4:20 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:Side note this makes me look at Godzilla Revenge very differently and though its a bit off the wall in places it still tries harder than the netflix movies do to work at its characters and give story.

SEE??! Godzilla’s Revenge has a lot of genuinely good stuff in it that gets bogged down by the reused footage, and it’s hard to appreciate it unless you’ve seen something as bad as the Netflixzilla movies. Those movies also single-handedly convinced me that a lack of Shobijin twins in Godzilla 2019 will be okay. Even if Millie Bobby Brown doesn’t talk to monsters (which, she might talk to them after all, if the trailers are anything to go by), it’s okay just so long as that Netflixzilla awful approach isn’t used for the characters.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:02 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:SEE??! Godzilla’s Revenge has a lot of genuinely good stuff in it that gets bogged down by the reused footage, and it’s hard to appreciate it unless you’ve seen something as bad as the Netflixzilla movies. Those movies also single-handedly convinced me that a lack of Shobijin twins in Godzilla 2019 will be okay. Even if Millie Bobby Brown doesn’t talk to monsters (which, she might talk to them after all, if the trailers are anything to go by), it’s okay just so long as that Netflixzilla awful approach isn’t used for the characters.

Yeah I see now and I thank you for the enlightenment, I'm never gonna bad mouth that movie again or say its crap because compared to this its master piece which is fun and tries and has a solid story ark ^_^

I totality second that regarding Bobby Browns character and I will take anything over having to watch netflix Godzilla again and I never want to see the Mortha twins treated that way again on screen as long as I live and who ever thought it was okay to make one of them a romantic plot device needs their face kicking in or forced to watch all the old Godzilla movies in one night just so they get how that canon works and that there not there to be love interests there job is to look after Mortha and be her voice.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Apr 23, 2019 3:32 pm

Final officially released trailer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZGhOlCzLTs

HD quality leak of the 5 minute trailer shown in front of Imax Shazam.
https://www.reddit.com/r/GODZILLA/comme ... e_trailer/

They are definitively showing way too much, but my god yes. I have literally zero complaints or concerns about any of the footage released so far except 1 or 2 cringy jokes in the TV spots.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Apr 26, 2019 2:58 pm

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri May 17, 2019 2:47 pm

Some obscure lower budget Kajiu news.
WW2 set Reigo & it's modern day semi sequel Raiga are finally getting released on American Dvd/Blu-Ray after over a decade.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2019 ... n-release/

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2009 ... ter-reigo/

Zeta_One
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Zeta_One » Thu May 30, 2019 12:18 am

Critics have been hostile towards the third entry of the MonsterVerse thus far. At the moment, Godzilla: King of the Monsters has a 44% critic score on Rotten Tomatoes and 48% critic score on Metacritic. Although it's projected to dominate the box office this weekend, its overall domestic commercial performance is in doubt and some box office analysts believe it will have to depend on the international market office to recoup its $200 million budget.

Has anyone here seen it yet?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu May 30, 2019 11:51 am

I’m seeing it this Saturday. Critics seem to be confusing the monsters for something other than the main cast, which is weird. Godzilla is the longest running film franchise in history, you’d think critics would have gotten the hang of this some 30 years ago, instead of basically asking for an Avengers film with the shawarma guys as the main characters.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu May 30, 2019 12:04 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I’m seeing it this Saturday. Critics seem to be confusing the monsters for something other than the main cast, which is weird. Godzilla is the longest running film franchise in history, you’d think critics would have gotten the hang of this some 30 years ago, instead of basically asking for an Avengers film with the shawarma guys as the main characters.

I was just thinking about this, this morning like how there panning it and I just through WTF have you not seen stuff like destroy all monsters or anything from the millennium series or even Shin Godzilla? The point is the monsters smash things up your in the middle there not meant to be any heroes and godzilla at best is an anti hero with Morthra being the purest one of them all as her side is always for good.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Fri May 31, 2019 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu May 30, 2019 2:01 pm

My guess is that many western film buffs have a difficult time with media that isn’t somewhere on the Humanist spectrum. While there is an ocean of cinematic sins that Christian films commit, I wouldn’t be surprised if one of the biggest disconnects between those films and western film communities is the anti-Humanist messages or themes of those films. It's difficult for a lot of people to take seriously a story that isn't nearly as interested in its human characters as it is trying to argue the importance of God, especially if that depiction of the concept of God doesn't do anything to make it seem more than a Flying Spaghetti Monster. Godzilla, for as amazing and as well-crafted as it is as a franchise at times, kinda does the same thing. At best, the Godzilla franchise looks questioningly at Humanism. (It can’t all be good if it creates the atomic bomb, right?) Portraying humans in a secondary (or even a tertiary) level of existence really alienates a lot of art aficionados from the piece. So when Godzilla gets in that “What are humans and why should I care?” phase many critics simply brush it off as mindless conjecture.

...Which it too bad because "What are humans and why should I care?" is actually a question that certain Godzilla movies (like Mothra vs Godzilla, for example) do a really good job answering from time to time. Even if the answer still kind of poo poos on certain Humanist ideologies (not all of the world's issues can be solved through logic and reasoning and these films still hold to that really well), they at least acknowledge that there's worth to humanity beyond our failed attempts at Humanist ideals.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu May 30, 2019 8:12 pm

OR it could just be a bad movie.
I haven’t seen it yet but still plan to so this weekend so I can make my own opinion BUT from what I’ve read in reviews - many from critics who loved Godzilla 2014, Shin Godzilla & Kong: Skull Island*- and from what a friend who excitedly got to see it early & left disappointed is that it’s a lot like Shane Black’s THE PREDATOR. The elements are all there for something special that one “can’t miss” but the execution is so slapdash, the writing so basic, so tone so uneven & the editing so choppy that it just doesn’t work.
I’m gonna go in - already got some choice IMAX seats bought - hoping for the best but I’ve been burned by “can’t miss movies” before. Great art/entertainment can come from the dumbest of concepts if treated properly & terrible art/entertainment can come from the greatest of concepts being treated poorly.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri May 31, 2019 5:06 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:...Which it too bad because "What are humans and why should I care?" is actually a question that certain Godzilla movies (like Mothra vs Godzilla, for example) do a really good job answering from time to time. Even if the answer still kind of poo poos on certain Humanist ideologies (not all of the world's issues can be solved through logic and reasoning and these films still hold to that really well), they at least acknowledge that there's worth to humanity beyond our failed attempts at Humanist ideals.

I thought one of the biggest missed opportunities of the first Godzilla film was the problem that they didn't show serious consequences, like you see a nuclear bomb go off in that and even the Japanese guys going don't do this shit its a bad idea but gets ignored, because that whole family meeting would not have happened loads of people would have been irradiated in that city and lead would not have survived long term because he saw the flash (Which if you see in reality means your life is gonna be over) Like the film is so serious about this issue at the start when its in the nuclear plant but in the end everyone's fine with zero explanation, to me it utterly undermines whole thing with Godzilla that even if he is helping people you love are gonna die or are not make it out alive and you might get killed by someone's bad choice.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri May 31, 2019 6:09 am

Yeah, the American’s approach to nuclear weapons in film does kind of worry me about their attempts at a Godzilla flick. Signs of this were evident even from the Americanization of the original Black & White movie. Dr. Serizawa says in the Americanized 1956 film that he’s worried about his destructive, Godzilla-killing weapon falling into the wrong hands, whereas in the original Japanese 1954 film he’s worried about his technology’s only apparent purpose as a weapon and states that no one’s hands should be using it unless it could be used as something other than a weapon.

This American approach to nuclear weapons even bleeds into Godzilla 1998, where an irradiated monster attacks NYC without any nuclear contamination poisoning the citizens or military. In Godzilla 2014 (and The Dark Knight Rises, might I add), the nuke goes off outside of city limits over some water, and that somehow means that everyone is safe. To Americans, the issue isn’t that the weapon poses an unnecessary risk, but rather that if the right person uses the weapon that there is no risk, or that the risk is justified and we can ignore any negative long term effects of the weapon.

This lack of nuclear tension in American Godzilla thus far has taken away a core dramatic element that marries together the plight of the monsters with the well-being of the human characters. Acknowledging these nuclear fears makes it so switching from monster to human scenes isn’t as jarring as constantly cutting to the shawarma guys in the middle of an Avengers movie. Even the Japanese movies seemed to lose sight of this after a while, making nuclear radiation curable in its sci-fi universe by Mothra vs Godzilla. But even then, the human story and the monster story would be intertwined in some way. Mothra’s small priestesses makes a human connection to the monsters all the stronger in both Mothra vs Godzilla and Ghidorah, the Three Headed Monster, and both the humans and Godzilla share a goal of preventing an alien invasion in The Invasion of Astro Monster. One of my favorites is the use of a mad scientist’s cyborg daughter as the remote control for Mechagodzilla in the film The Terror of Mechagodzilla, and how her existence as such a thing effects her relationships with other people. It’s a story that gets even crazier when you realize that Mechagodzilla is built by space aliens from the third planet in the black hole who are trying to take over the world, but it has that connection between Godzilla and the humans that makes it so none of the players in the film are ever boring to watch.

When Ishiro Honda stopped directing the Godzilla movies, the human stories clashed more and more with the monster stories, to the point where Jun Fukuda’s Godzilla vs The Sea Monster is almost as disjointed of a story as Jurassic Park 3, complete with the missing family member on a jungle island used as a strained excuse to get the people to where the monsters are. (But with terrorists thrown in for good measure.) The biggest thing, though, is if this new Godzilla movie realizes that these monsters are also characters in their own right, and takes the proper advantage of it. If it can’t do that properly, then there’s almost no reason to cut to them over the humans anyway.
Last edited by FreakyFilmFan4ever on Fri May 31, 2019 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri May 31, 2019 8:51 am

I’m seeing it at an IMAX showing tonight.

I haven’t read the reviews but if they’re all complaining that it’s too monster smashy, it won’t have any bearing on box office. Crisis just like to think they can dictate how much money movies make.

If the user score is that low as well, that’s bad.

Godzilla ‘14 is about the futility of trying to control nature, not the danger of nuclear weapons. The nuclear weapons in the film serve to demonstrate that even our tools that we think of as raising us to godlike status are nothing beside the wrath of the natural world. Also, it presents Godzilla as a deity in a kind of Lovecraftian sense, not a creation of man’s folly. The message id ‘14 is disjointed because it strives to fit too many different styles of Godzilla movie into itself and underserves them all without fully developing its own themes.

‘98 is an okay movie (and a fine remake of The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms, as Freaky once said) but not a very good Godzilla movie because it lacks the power imbalance. Rather than a horror story of human hubris, it’s a tragedy of mankind’s selfish grasping nature; Zilla is murdered as all children who cannot be controlled are murdered.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri May 31, 2019 10:19 am

Well, even as a Beast From 20,000 Fathoms film, ‘98 Zilla stops and starts one too many times, interrupting it’s own rhythm. There’s nothing the film does seamlessly as it goes from two Godzilla attacks to the baby Zillas in Madison Square Garden, and then back to an extended Godzilla chase scene towards the end. And I feel that there’s a lot of self awareness the film lacks as it portrays the US military as the most destructive force unleashed upon NYC. There’s some Dr. Strangelove-tier dark comedic material that’s just wasted in that film. But it’s still fun to see the big creature run through NYC, so there’s some entertainment from it. And it still strives for more than Beast did, so, in that light, it’s almost an admirable failure, and almost none of it’s a deal breaker.

I’m also seeing GKotM at the IMAX, so it’ll be the best possible screening for this film. And I’m always a little stoked after seeing almost any movie in the theater. Suicide Squad was the first film in a while where I couldn’t enjoy the theatrical experience, so even if Godzilla King of the Monsters is bad, it’ll take me a couple days or so to process that.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri May 31, 2019 9:07 pm

I just got out. I’ll share deeper thoughts later. I’m about to drive home.

This was my top movie of the year. I know the critics have a lot of complaints. I’m sure most of them are accurate descriptions of the movie.

I don’t fucking care. Long live the King.
the prophecy is true

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri May 31, 2019 10:06 pm

I get the sense that this GKotM movie might feel more like a big budget version of a Jun Fukuda Godzilla flick, rather than a big budget version of an Ishiro Honda Godzilla flick.

Is this true? I mean, I’ll enjoy either, but I prefer the latter.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri May 31, 2019 10:20 pm

Yeah.

It’s not self-deprecating but they’ve abandoned all pretense of these being Serious Movies. It’s a movie that knows what it is, embraces it, and goes full ham on it.

Full review in spoilers.

SPOILER: Show
Pros:

The monster fights are fantastic.

The movie doesn’t shy away from showing them. They’re the stars here, and the Jaws-like, curated approach is totally abandoned.

There are still ground level shots used to great effect to create a sense of scale.

The movie picks and chooses from Godzilla lore to cram itself full of set pieces.

The Titans hurt each other when they fight; the problem of a long drawn out battle between adversaries that can’t hurt each other is thoroughly avoided.

The whole thing is pervaded by an ironic, but not caustic or mocking, tone.

It’s cartoony in a good way and not ashamed of it.

It just keeps going crazier and crazier the entire time.

Cons:

The human parts are weak. Fortunately, unlike G14, they don’t make up 90% of the movie.

The other monsters that aren’t the Big 4 don’t get very much screen time and are mostly there for some spectacle and overwrought stakes.

Every single bit of science in this movie is wrong, but it’s so audacious about it that it doesn’t matter that much. It’s not trying to be grounded or realistic.

Commentary:

They changed Godzilla’s roar from 2014. That version always sounded odd to me, like it was mechanical or blended into the soundtrack. The changed version sounds more believably like a impossibly massive animal’s war challenging sound.

I liked the use of “Titan” rather than “Kaiju”. It feels less forced and it’s a word that carries specific mythological resonance to an English speaking audience.

The human story is a hot mess but the monster story is pretty tightly written, and it just embraces what it is without reservation. Too often these movies with goofy premises try to justify themselves to the audience. This one does not. Godzilla does not require your approval.

The final shot of the movie is one of the best I’ve ever seen.

Oh, and they pretty much are confirmed to be gods.
the prophecy is true

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:39 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I get the sense that this GKotM movie might feel more like a big budget version of a Jun Fukuda Godzilla flick, rather than a big budget version of an Ishiro Honda Godzilla flick.

Is this true? I mean, I’ll enjoy either, but I prefer the latter.

The best way I can think to describe it is that someone took Destroy All Monsters, Ghidorah: The Three-Headed Monster and Godzilla vs King Ghidorah and threw them into a blender with a huge stack of money. The movie takes the subject matter seriously but it also isn't afraid to throw some wild concepts at you. GMK and the Heisei Gamera also give you a pretty good idea of what to expect tonally, I think. This movie's version of King Ghidorah is easily the most terrifying and menacing he's ever been, imo.

I thought the critics were way off base on this one and I'm happy to see that fan reception has been much more positive. Last I checked it had 91% audience on RT, ~7.5 on imdb, and 4/5 on a couple Japanese review sites. The most consistent complaints I've seen are the humans and their story but I thought they were fine. The story is fairly simple and straightforward and I didn't mind our two main characters when they were on screen, unlike Ford Brody from 2014 (a real black hole of charisma). Milly Bobby Brown's character did kind of get the short end of the stick as screen time goes, but I've heard the movie was originally 3 hours so I wouldn't be surprised if she had more scenes that were left on the cutting room floor.

Some spoiler thoughts:
SPOILER: Show
This Godzilla is the total inverse of Godzilla Earth. He and the other Titans are an essential part of the ecosystem and act as Earth's stewards. Godzilla, in his role as the alpha Titan, is essentially the Avatar. He's very destructive but he also maintains a balance between the humans and the Titans. The newspaper montage in the credits mentions that he's steering them away from populated areas. They don't really talk about the Muto attack in the previous movie but I think it adds an extra dimension to why he was chasing them. They attacked populated areas the all those babies would wreck the ecosystem. Plus he seemed cool with the new female Muto that popped up.

Godzilla's pad is so cool. He sleeps on an altar in the ruins of Atlantis surrounded by statues of Godzilla-headed warriors. Should be dumb but it's awesome

Also I can't believe the madmen made Godzilla X Mothra the canon OTP. Mothra confirmed best girl!:lol:

The way they worked the twins in was slick. Seems like a lot of people missed thm.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Return to “Film and Video”