Rurouni Kenshin Gets 2 More Live Action Films In 2020

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Rurouni Kenshin Gets 2 More Live Action Films In 2020

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:14 pm

Both covering the Enishi arc and so far, Takeru Satoh as Kenshin is confirmed to return:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... 20/.145614
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

Re: Rurouni Kenshin Gets 2 More Live Action Films In 2020

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Wed Mar 18, 2020 9:29 pm

We finally have our Tomoe. She is When Marnie Was There's titular protagonist Kasumi Arimura:
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2 ... oe/.157640
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Mar 20, 2020 3:57 pm

For those of us who have never seen anything from the franchise before (such as myself), would you say that the live-action movies are a good entry point for newcomers?

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:09 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:For those of us who have never seen anything from the franchise before (such as myself), would you say that the live-action movies are a good entry point for newcomers?

Depends considering I have only seen the first one which did take a few liberties with the Kurogasa and Kanryu Takeda arcs by mashing them into one cohesive narrative. But the action is spectacularly executed.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:19 pm

Just so long at it's coherent/doesn't feel rushed, then it should be fine. I remember watching a live-action adaptation of Moyoco Anno's "Sakuran;" the filmmakers added an entirely new and original arc to the second half of that movie, and it was still a good watch!

Ray
Elder God
Elder God

•      
  •      

Postby Ray » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:39 am

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:For those of us who have never seen anything from the franchise before (such as myself), would you say that the live-action movies are a good entry point for newcomers?

i've only watched the first two and I was pleasantly surprised with both how much i enjoyed them and also how faithful they are to the source material without being too over the top silly or cheap like a lot of live action anime movies.

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:46 pm

I just watched the English dub of part 1 and the voices really go well. Main reason for wishing to do so was to hear Alexis Tipton as Kaoru. Her rendition was fitting of an exceedingly mature type of woman, basically the far opposite of what I have usually heard in her usual lineup of bubbly, fanservice anime characters.

Return to “Film and Video”