Evangelion 2.0: Start Your Engines!

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:09 pm

I'm still leaning to Glasses Girl (still stoked I saw it coming) is going to be a new Eva pilot.

From a pure marketing (and merchandise) placement it's solid gold. Asuka and Rei are without a doubt the most obsessed characters in Eva by the fanbase even beating out Misato.

Plus at the very least bringing in a new non-Kaworu pilot would require serious rewriting and changes to the future Angel battles which is something I'm in favor for.

Plus on the Take-Everything-with-a-grain-of-salt-Wikipedia, on their page for EVA 1.0 for the 2.0 trailer they say the trailer features shots of Eva 04, Eva 05 with one eye, and a brand new Eva 06.
If Eva-03 is still going to Touji (Bardiel is mentioned in the trailer too), and Eva-04 still goes kerplooey, then that leaves two more Evangelions. One for Kaworu and unless fanboys get their wish of Hikari in an animated plugsuit, its Glasses Girl.

6 Eva's huh? Tokyo 3 is getting crowded these days.

zeaven
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby zeaven » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:26 pm

Too many pilots, not enough screentime.

If the new character was pivotal to the new story, they'd probably be making a bigger fuss about it. (Unless their plan is to totally take everybody by surprise...)

And as for looking like Shinji with glasses and long hair, don't forget that "all anime characters look the same". Besides, there's a more pressing issue.

It took them a whole movie to get episodes 1-6, mostly unchanged.

If movie #3 is going to be the "end before the end" (corresponding roughly to eps. 20-26, in time/content), then how the hell are they going to fit 13 or 14 episodes into movie #2? Granted, half of that is unnecessary, but what major changes do you see occurring?

From episode 6 it's probably safe to skip straight to episode 15, maybe with one angel from ep. 7-15 to bridge the gap, along with the most important characterization details surrounding it and most of the stuff in 15 being intact. Unfortunately (maybe) this means we'll skip Ireul and, consequently, Ritsuko's entire subplot, because it will have no background when the events of episode 21 unfold. This also has a bit of an adverse effect on Misato and Kaji's characterizations.

My point is: EVA 2.0 is going to be vastly, VASTLY different from the middle of the TV series. It wouldn't work otherwise. Assuming they're using the original ending, we'll probably see references to the Arkos (sp?) here (sorry, can't remember a lot about it).

And this is all probably nothing new, but I think there are more interesting things to speculate on than Glasses Girlâ„¢.
Underneath it all, we feel so small
The heavens fall, but still we crawl...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:32 pm

Sandoz wrote:I hope that fanart isn't her, only because the yellow plugsuit scares me. It's like the bright yellow Unit-06 from Eva-R suddenly becoming canon.

You should see the plugsuit Kensuke gets in those spin-off video games.

Sailor Star Dust wrote:Anyway, I agree Glasses Girl is not going to be a pilot.

There's no information, and you haven't seen the second movie, so how can you agree?

How old are Hikari's sisters? Maybe it's going to be one of them

Naw, we already know what they look like from Meguro's nasty fanart. :P

or at the very least, she'll be a character related to somebody in the series we already know.

That would be boring.

chee wrote:Plus, it was stated that the new characer may not necessarily be a pilot.

Where was that stated?

As for the shop/fanart you mentioned- No clue.

Mr. Tines ought to have the uncensored version. (I'm too lazy to dig out the one with the big black bars at the moment.)

The Goose wrote:Plus, if Rebuild has S/A, it wouldn't be the same because of Shinji's attitude toward Asuka. The best part about the relationship in the original series was that they were so different from another.

What's to say that Shinji won't crumble before her?

SSD wrote:So, Rei doesn't smile in Rebuild, or should does but we don't see Gendou before she smiles? I is lost.

If I read the Moonspeak spoilers right (other thread), Gendo was cut out of the scene. (If Rei didn't smile, I'm sure it would have been noted.) But Ornette would be in a better position to say for sure.

the case of Rei and Kaworu supposedly having the films focus on them.

I think Otsuki's comment was misinterpreted somewhere along the way.

GendosPapa wrote:6 Eva's huh? Tokyo 3 is getting crowded these days.

Considering they've been able to trash three Angels with only two Evas, and there are only six left, they're going to have to make them real badass to justify these add-ons.

I'd love to see Zeruel come back more badass and vengeful than ever, and make the flailings from episode 19 look like a switch on the wrists. (And then Yui somehow manages to eat his doodad.) That would be awesome.

Kaworu piloting... Isn't that sort of, well, wrong?

zeaven wrote:Assuming they're using the original ending, we'll probably see references to the Arkos (sp?) here (sorry, can't remember a lot about it).

It's Arka. (At least, that's the best Romanization I've been able to come up with. Only one that's a Pointless Religious Reference.)

I don't get why people think the Original Ending is going to show up. For one thing, with only six Angels left, the whole "12 Angels come down from the Moon and vaporize America" bit is out.

Episode #24: Now, the Promised Time

Rei breaks down. Her secrets are revealed. Finally awakened, the 12 strongest Apostolos descend from the Moon. Both Eva Unit 06 and the American continent vanish completely. Humans acknowledge their helplessness in the face of the Apostolos' crushing power. The promised time, when people will return to nothing, approaches. A human drama in the depths of despair.

["Rei breaks down": "breaks down" can also be "collapses" or "be defeated". "Vanish": "evaporate" or "disappear without explanation".]

Episode #25: "Arka, the Promised Land"

The laboratory holds the ancient ruins of Arka, which have become key. In order to stop the 12 Apostolos, the United Nations' head members annul the Human Instrumentality Project and decide upon the Apostolos' destruction. [Shinji's] father objects. Shinji and the others stay at the laboratory for Rei. A drama of people conflicting over incongruous objectives.

Final Episode: "The Only Neat Thing to Do"

On the stage of the destroyed laboratory, all mysteries and drama are concluded. The denouement.

Sadly, various pages that would probably make these blurbs slightly less ambiguous are still untranslated.
Last edited by Reichu on Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:40 pm

Kaworu would pretend to pilot, but never actually accomplish anything. Either that, or he already knows it's the other Angels' destiny to fail, so it doesn't matter if he contributes to it. Something like that.

zeaven
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby zeaven » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:47 pm

Some details could be changed. In what you posted it doesn't list why it has to be 12 angels. It could even be 12 mass-production Eva units.

I think the end episodes as spelled out in that document are somewhat consistent with their announcement that the ending will be clear and not ambiguous as it was before.
Underneath it all, we feel so small
The heavens fall, but still we crawl...

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:03 am

You know, looking at the descriptions for the original final episodes, I have to wonder if Anno wasn't originally going to have Instrumentality take place. Sigh... I wish I had cancer and were slightly younger so that I could ask the Make a Wish Foundation to let me find out everything from Anno... and then Anno's magic tears would make my cancer go away...

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:05 am

zeaven wrote:It could even be 12 mass-production Eva units.

They'd come down from the Moon and vaporize America?

I think the end episodes as spelled out in that document are somewhat consistent with their announcement that the ending will be clear and not ambiguous as it was before.

Just because they say that "all mysteries and drama are concluded"?

NAveryW wrote:You know, looking at the descriptions for the original final episodes, I have to wonder if Anno wasn't originally going to have Instrumentality take place.

Sure as heck wouldn't have been much time for it.

I wonder what the page detailing the Human Instrumentality Project says.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sandoz
Lilith

Postby Sandoz » Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:59 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:If Eva-03 is still going to Touji (Bardiel is mentioned in the trailer too), and Eva-04 still goes kerplooey, then that leaves two more Evangelions. One for Kaworu and unless fanboys get their wish of Hikari in an animated plugsuit, its Glasses Girl.

There's still the possibility that the Rei or Kaworu Dummy Plugs could be used to pilot Unit-06. But since a new female Eva pilot has PROFIT written all over her animated forehead that's probably what the new character will be. I would have liked a new adult character to mingle with Misato, Kaji, and Ritsuko (Foursome!) but ah well.

Reichu wrote:You should see the plugsuit Kensuke gets in those spin-off video games.

I had repressed memories about Kensuke's tightly wrapped yellow package. Curse your horrible color coordination, Gainax!
Kaworu piloting... Isn't that sort of, well, wrong?

He piloted Unit-02 against Armisael in the manga. It did feel kinda weird and wrong, but at least it gave him something to do besides being enigmatic and molesting Shinji.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:34 am

Where can one find info on this "Arkos" thing.

Is it vague, unsourced, rumors of what Anno might of have down for Evangelion in its early pre-mind fuck days?

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Postby Reichu » Wed Sep 05, 2007 8:48 am

Gendo'sPapa wrote:Where can one find info on this "Arkos" thing.

:| ......

How on Earth did the "-a" become an "-os"? This has happened, like, three times so far.

Is it vague, unsourced, rumors of what Anno might of have down for Evangelion in its early pre-mind fuck days?

I just posted the summaries of the last three episodes from the NGE Proposal, which was kind of like an embryonic version of the project that Anno and friends pitched to get financial backing. Arka is mentioned ONCE, in the capacity of "ancient ruins", and for whatever reason "ancient ruins of Arka" sounds like a really awesome idea to any number of people who have heard about it.

If "Arka" is mentioned anywhere else in the Proposal aside from that one little blurb, I don't know where. (The only other place I've seen the term is in the "music menu" for S2 Works, where it's revealed that "MOTHER IS THE FIRST OTHER", "DEPRESSION", "INTROJECTION", and "SEPARATION ANXIETY" were originally intended to be the four Arka themes.) Overall I've seen a lot of fuss over something that has basically no accompanying details, or, if any, they're hidden in Moonspeak that no one's bothered translating over the past 10+ years.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Yasha
Embryo

Postby Yasha » Wed Sep 05, 2007 9:36 am

I think there's only one way to confirm if this girl in yellow plugsuit is really new character... we should just ask Ornette about it. I hope he won't be fed up with us constantly asking him about something. ^^

By the way, I have nothing against this girl really being new Rebuild character.

CitizenGeek
Ireul
Ireul

Postby CitizenGeek » Wed Sep 05, 2007 10:43 am

I think if the so-called "Glasses Girl" did turn out to be the new Eva character, I'd be somewhat disapointed! She doesn't look like a character that would fit in with the rest of the cast, and she resembles Shinji and Hikari a little too much! Still, I'll reserve final judgement until I see the actual design.

asdfff
Embryo

Postby asdfff » Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:15 am

Reichu wrote:I just posted the summaries of the last three episodes from the NGE Proposal, which was kind of like an embryonic version of the project that Anno and friends pitched to get financial backing.

Oh, oh, this sounds awesome and where are these posted? And is there a more-or-less central depository for all your translation works? Cauz you do a lot of them.

thedarkorb
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby thedarkorb » Wed Sep 05, 2007 1:08 pm

Dumb question: Is the actual sub-title for 2.0 "Start Your Engines"? as was "You Are (Not) Alone" to 1.0?

Millions Livio
Tunniel
Tunniel

Postby Millions Livio » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:23 pm

thedarkorb wrote:Dumb question: Is the actual sub-title for 2.0 "Start Your Engines"? as was "You Are (Not) Alone" to 1.0?

No.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mr. Tines » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:28 pm

Reichu wrote:Mr. Tines ought to have the uncensored version.

Black-bar version

Click!
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Ayana-Me
Adam

Postby Ayana-Me » Wed Sep 05, 2007 3:42 pm

MODLY COMMENT : DO THE MATH YOURSELVES, GUYS

NAveryW
Insect Politician
Insect Politician

Postby NAveryW » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:09 pm

I find that censorship mildly hilarious. XD

EDIT: I-... ah, never mind; if I mention it, it'll probably cease to be as it is...

THE Hal E. Burton 9000
Elder God
Elder God

Postby THE Hal E. Burton 9000 » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:22 pm

Is the uncensored version on THAT BOARD?

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Sep 05, 2007 7:29 pm

Reichu wrote:Just because they say that "all mysteries and drama are concluded"?

So I understand that that's all you have of the proposal, Rei-chan, but I know that on one of the threads on ANF had more information then that. God only knows which thread it was. :(
e.g: It talked about ALL 26 episodes, and one of them even said (maybe it was somewhere in the last one) "All the mysteries and drama are concluded. Happy ending." or some such thing.

Re: Glasses Girl not being a pilot: I thought one of my Newtypes said something about that, but it's possible I'm remembering wrong. >_<

That's another thing: would you all want me to continue doing those Newtype Eva-article transcripts, or no? I stopped mostly because of the forums being down so there was no motivation, but besides that I feel like it's information you can always find online (Is this the case with Petite Eva @ School or no?) and that maybe nobody even read it/cared. Thoughts?

So, to talk about something that's NOT Glasses Girl: Because there's going to be a new ending, do you all think that means we WON'T get an ending about Instrumentality/Third Impact; or simply played out differently from EoTV/EoE? Would it be possible that this time around Shinji actually ACCEPTS it, just to fuck with the audiences' mind, or what?

Either way, do you think Rebuild:02 and the like will have any "clues" of such a new ending, as the original series had various "clues" about Instrumentality (Personal Hell train car, "Do you want to become one with me?", Tracks 25 and 26, etc)??
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”