Episode 16 and the Archives of Evangelion set

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
ruboline
Embryo

Episode 16 and the Archives of Evangelion set

•      
  •      

Postby ruboline » Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:36 am

So, as far as i understand, the AoE boxset consists of original broadcast editions of the 26 episodes - would this not be a basis for the color-correction of ep. 16? Is this version used as a basis for the color-correcting of that episode? If not, why? Is the broadcast quality not true to the original masters, since it was broadcast on TV? Sorry for the possible newbie questions.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Episode 16 and the Archives of Evangelion set

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:07 pm

Given the loss of original materials for that episode, together with the unfortunately poor surviving interpositive that was used for the Renewal remastering, the broadcast version is the best source for colour and contrast matching; but its resolution is poorer than the Renewal version - which is why that was used as the source of episode 16 for the Bluray edition (the rest were newly scanned).

Sephirotic (of this forum, but not around for a long time) spent a lot of effort improving the colour of a BD rip using the archive version as reference. In fact, he went through the whole series doing this. He wrote this article about the process. Whether his judgement is better than that of the people who made the BDs for Khara is a reasonable question, of course, and not one I can answer; but I find his arguments persuasive. That article is about episode 19, but he wrote about his work on 16 specifically in detail here and it's mentioned in this forum here.
Last edited by pwhodges on Sun Mar 10, 2019 7:46 am, edited 3 times in total.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:46 pm

Wasn't aware of those BD issues. I will have to seeit in movement.
That's the version coming to Netflix?
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:07 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:...the unfortunately poor surviving interpositive that was used for the Renewal remastering...

Minor correction: According to the Platinum booklets, which should be a translation from Renewal, it was an internegative.

Now, concerning some of the scenes in Episode Sixteen and the previews, the original 16mm negatives had become lost from the development laboratory in the past. Thus, the telecine process was done from a 35mm internegatlve, but through last spurt color work through color correction and digital remastering, the footage has been reproduced to approximate the original.

http://www.evamonkey.com/platinum-bookl ... ootage.php

ruboline
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ruboline » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:57 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Given the loss of original materials for that episode, together with the unfortunately poor surviving interpositive that was used for the Renewal remastering, the broadcast version is the best source for colour and contrast matching; but its resolution is poorer than the Renewal version - which is why that was used as the source for the Bluray edition.

Sephirotic (of this forum, but not around for a long time) spent a lot of effort improving the colour of a BD rip using the archive version as reference. In fact, he went through the whole series doing this. He wrote this article about the process. Whether his judgement is better than that of the people who made the BDs for Khara is a reasonable question, of course, and not one I can answer; but I find his arguments persuasive. That article is about episode 19, but he wrote about his work on 16 specifically in detail here.

Thank you. This was a concise, and very informative answer. I'll check out those links too.

Now, another (perhaps related) question - is the Genesis laserdisc release 0:X also direct broadcast versions? Of course, only 21-24 are present there, but that seems like it would be an ideal blueprint for color-correction of later releases, or am i wrong? Does the 0:X differ from the source material, and that's why i don't recall seeing it in use in this context?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:43 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Minor correction: According to the Platinum booklets, which should be a translation from Renewal, it was an internegative.

Heh! I originally wrote internegative, but changed it after seeing the opposite in Sephirotic's article. In that case I think his probably got mixed up in translation, as English is not his native language.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:47 pm

View Original Postruboline wrote:Now, another (perhaps related) question - is the Genesis laserdisc release 0:X also direct broadcast versions? Of course, only 21-24 are present there, but that seems like it would be an ideal blueprint for color-correction of later releases, or am i wrong? Does the 0:X differ from the source material, and that's why i don't recall seeing it in use in this context?

The actual laserdisc versions are probably very similar to the archive versions; but I, like most people, have no direct experience of them. The Genesis DVDs are presumably not much different, but have the limited encoding efficiency at a limited bit-rate of early DVDs.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:50 pm

View Original Postkuribo-04 wrote:Wasn't aware of those BD issues. I will have to seeit in movement.
That's the version coming to Netflix?

I presume that will use the BD version; why would anyone make another?.

I should clarify that when I said the BD used the Renewal version, that was specifically and only for episode 16. The other episodes were rescanned.

brandneweyes
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby brandneweyes » Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:20 am

Just to be clear though, if you're referring to JBD, that is incorrect. JR2 Renewal, JBD, and Archival all use a different image. I own all three and can happily provide screen captures of each. Now the Macross Plus JBD for example, that uses the same image as seen on its JR2 HD remaster, albeit in a 1080's 4:3 aspect ratio.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”