[Film] Transformers (2007)

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Eva Yojimbo
Redbeard
Redbeard

•      
  •      

Postby Eva Yojimbo » Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:09 pm

Szmitten wrote:
Please, please, please do not use semantics to create a sense of superiority. (I have probably explained this awfully, so do please ask for clarification of what the hell I'm saying)
No, I get your point. But it's the same thing with "cartoons" and "anime". In reality, they're the exact same thing, but the connotations of each are different (especially over here). I feel the same way about 'film' and 'movies' (I assume it came from "moving pictures", which I think was the term used in America when it first came out). I tend to feel that "film" is - for lack of a better word - a more 'correct' (I could just say better) term anyway.
Cinelogue & Forced Perspective Cinema
^ Writing as Jonathan Henderson ^
We're all adrift on the stormy seas of Evangelion, desperately trying to gather what flotsam can be snatched from the gale into a somewhat seaworthy interpretation so that we can at last reach the shores of reason and respite. - ObsessiveMathsFreak
Jimbo has posted enough to be considered greater than or equal to everyone, and or synonymous with the concept of 'everyone'. - Muggy
I've seen so many changeful years, / to Earth I am a stranger grown: / I wander in the ways of men, / alike unknowing and unknown: / Unheard, unpitied, unrelieved, / I bear alone my load of care; / For silent, low, on beds of dust, / Lie all that would my sorrows share. - Robert Burns' Lament for James

CorporalChaos
Test Subject
Test Subject

•      
  •      

Postby CorporalChaos » Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:46 pm

I managed to go see Transformers today, and it wasn't the total suckfest I expected. From a layperson's (me, a guy who doesn't watch movies in theaters much, or any movies for that matter) it was a decent film. The only part that really bugged me was the last part of the movie, with rapid cuts to other scenes and most of the action taking place offscreen (Megatron vs. Optimus, all we see is a couple of shots of them getting thrown into other objects, and a short cut of hand to hand combat taking place in the background, with missiles flying around in the foreground). Otherwise, I think the movie was worth the money, and I'll probably end up getting it on DVD.

But furthermore, its restored my hope in Live-Action Eva a little bit, because the CG in Transformers was beautiful and by the time they could possibly start on Eva, the computers will be even better.

BTW, was it just me, or did Megatron remind anyone of Unit-01? SPOILER/or Megatron under the Hoover Dam give off Geofront overtones/SPOILER
Occam's Razor: The simplest explanation is generally the correct one.
Essel's Corollary: The simplest explanation is never the fanon one.

Space Penis
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby Space Penis » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:03 pm

ONE SHALL STAND. ONE SHALL FALL.

Transformers was, as I was expecting, the best film I had seen at the cinema in quite a long time. Planning on seeing again in a few weeks when the IMAX version drops.

CorporalChaos wrote:
BTW, was it just me, or did Megatron remind anyone of Unit-01?

I did a thread about this when pictures of ol' Megs first broke. People said I was silly.

EDIT: Snip snap, here's a link to that thread.
Last edited by Space Penis on Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tell me, is something eluding you, sunshine?
Is this not what you expected to see?
If you wanna find out what's behind these cold eyes
You'll just have to claw your way through this disguise!

chee
EGF Hate Machine
EGF Hate Machine

•      
  •      

Postby chee » Tue Sep 04, 2007 6:04 pm

Saw it a while ago. Disliked it.

Incisivis
Scribe
Scribe

•      
  •      

Postby Incisivis » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:03 pm

I'm afraid to post my opinions around, because every other Transformers fan I know *loved* it, to the point where some others whom I *don't* know, attacked the people who disliked it.

Me, well, I didn't. My biggest problem was that it focused too much on the humans. Yeah, I know the adult, mainstream audience has trouble relating to nonhumans as leads, and it might have blown the budget to make Transformers focal, but dammit, that just bored me.

Outside of that, the movie was pretty loud and obnoxious and the action scenes were cut so bad it was sometimes hard to tell what was happening. But I am not going to put much thought into picking it out, because I just don't care enough. :roll:
"No live organism can continue to exist sanely within conditions of absolute reality; even dragonflies and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream"--Shirley Jackson
I liek Shinji
LiveJournal and Fan Fiction

BrikHaus
Dokutah Tenma
Dokutah Tenma

•      
  •      

Postby BrikHaus » Tue Sep 04, 2007 7:45 pm

Hearing Optimus Prime's again after so many years, was pretty awesome. Other than that, there wasn't a lot of redeeming value to this movie.
Awesomely Shitty
-"That purace has more badassu maddafaakas zan supermax spaceland."
-On EMF, as a thread becomes longer, the likelihood that fem-Kaworu will be mentioned increases exponentially.
-the only English language novel actually being developed in parallel to its Japanese version involving a pan-human Soviet in a galactic struggle to survive and to export the communist utopia/revolution to all the down trodden alien class and race- one of the premise being that Khrushchev remains and has abandoned Lysenko stupidity

Return to “Film and Video”