[NEWS] Neon Genesis Evangelion coming to Netflix Spring 2019

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: [NEWS] Neon Genesis Evangelion coming to Netflix Spring 2019

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Feb 28, 2019 4:10 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:^ I would say the odds of that are precisely 3,720 to 1.

Netflix: Never tell me the odds!

KRandMJ
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby KRandMJ » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:53 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Netflix: Never tell me the odds!

https://youtu.be/5TbWJJMdLsY?t=136
EvaGeeks is a nightmare to navigate, still good tho.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:57 pm

FreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Netflix: Never tell me the odds!

:hitthetable:
I really do think that's Netflix's response to criticism though
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

SEELE-01
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby SEELE-01 » Fri Mar 01, 2019 11:16 am

Quoting Misato: it's more than zero...
Visit my Eva-figures Youtube channel!

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Mar 02, 2019 1:18 pm

Well, I looked into Netflix's scheduled releases and take aways for March, and Evangelion is not listed among them. It's also not listed in the coming soon section in the app, so April at the earliest is when we can expect it to drop.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:47 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:Well, I looked into Netflix's scheduled releases and take aways for March, and Evangelion is not listed among them. It's also not listed in the coming soon section in the app, so April at the earliest is when we can expect it to drop.

Well, the November announcement only said "Spring 2019" for the release date and there's only about 10 days' worth of Spring in March, so it's not surprising that it won't be premiering this month. Especially when there still hasn't been any further press releases about it, particularly regarding the English dub cast....or even a confirmation from Netflix themselves that there will be a new English dub.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:11 pm

^ Well, I was being optimistic, just means I'll check again in 30 days

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:38 pm

Netflix releases are weird.
Often stuff will drop out of the blue too (doubt this'll happen with Eva though).
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:47 pm

^ I doubt it as well. They made an announcement that they were getting NGE, they're going to post a release date. It may get released April 1st if the old streaming contract (for whomever had the rights previously) expires at Japan's fiscal year end.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:56 pm

I'd love to know the date of me watching my favourite film in HD for the first time. ;_;
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:59 pm

I'll be able to check again at the beginning of April, and hopefully Netflix will be releasing everything then. Otherwise we won't know anything until May

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Mar 05, 2019 12:59 pm

Here's something to think about: what if the release slides to summer or fall because they try to appease fans of the dub by getting some of the original cast back, and try to figure out who to cast from the multiple actors who have played certain characters? Remember how long it took to get Death & Rebirth and The End of Evangelion done? That was partially because of trying to get old cast members back.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:01 pm

^ Oh Christ, please no... I didn't want to think that man!

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

Postby The Eva Monkey » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:10 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:^ Oh Christ, please no... I didn't want to think that man!

Entirely possible, it took five years for Death & Rebirth and The End of Evangelion to come out in English, and at least two years behind schedule. They were in Manga Entertainment's "2000" reel, but didn't come out until mid-2002. Also, Eva 3.33 got delayed because Funimation wanted to redo the dub work. That came out a good two years later than it should have as well.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:16 pm

^ I know it's very possible, I just want to stay positive is all :asuka_happy:

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Mar 05, 2019 2:32 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Here's something to think about: what if the release slides to summer or fall because they try to appease fans of the dub by getting some of the original cast back, and try to figure out who to cast from the multiple actors who have played certain characters? Remember how long it took to get Death & Rebirth and The End of Evangelion done? That was partially because of trying to get old cast members back.

The idea of this happening enrages me to a frightening degree.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

kuribo-04
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby kuribo-04 » Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:44 pm

I really think they'll give the worldwide release priority over the dub of one country, even with it being America.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:18 pm

Fun Eva Fact: The only English release company the Evangelion rights holders DID NOT take issue with was Manga Entertainment. Gainax corrected ADV throughout the years and Khara corrected Funimation with the new stuff, but, if the Japanese licensors are a litmus for any of this, Manga Entertainment is officially considered the least troublesome Evangelion English release company ever.

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Tue Mar 05, 2019 9:36 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Fun Eva Fact: The only English release company the Evangelion rights holders DID NOT take issue with was Manga Entertainment. Gainax corrected ADV throughout the years and Khara corrected Funimation with the new stuff, but, if the Japanese licensors are a litmus for any of this, Manga Entertainment is officially considered the least troublesome Evangelion English release company ever.

Given that the Manga dub had:

-Improper translations for a major plot point in the movie
-Sploogey sound fx added for a gunshot to the head
-A distractingly non-Japanese voice actor portraying a nerdy white Japanese man

the fact that Gainax did not take issue with that dub is frankly astounding.

WunderBah
Shamshel
Shamshel

Postby WunderBah » Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:06 pm

View Original PostThe Eva Monkey wrote:Here's something to think about: what if the release slides to summer or fall because they try to appease fans of the dub by getting some of the original cast back, and try to figure out who to cast from the multiple actors who have played certain characters? Remember how long it took to get Death & Rebirth and The End of Evangelion done? That was partially because of trying to get old cast members back.

Dead on arrival essentially, they really have nothing to lose by NOT appeasing the audience overly nostalgic towards the vanilla dub cast, and i say this as someone who found entertainment with Rebuild's dub.

Its really time for them to move on.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”