What would you change about Evangelion?

This is a forum for casual discussion of Evangelion. Topics like "Asuka is hot!" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?" belong here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Blockio
Ireul
Ireul

Re: What would you change about Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:08 pm

I don't know if I posted here before (if I did, chances are it's ages ago and way off from my view now, so it wouldn't matter anyway), but here I go:
The main thing I would change is give a little more attention to Toji, Kensuke and Hikari/the bridge bunnies for one, and treat Evas that don't wear the numbers 00, 01 or 02 on their sleeve with more significance than just another plot device that only really matters for one or two episodes and after that only plays a vague role in the Seele shenanigans, if at all. Same goes for some of the action arc angels... some of those really could have been two-parters. Generally, more runtime to focus on aspects of the world that were only tangentially shown
Why don't you save the Princess next time instead of being such a baby? She would love it and maybe you could get a sweet kiss. ~ sadly not Mari in Q (Joseki)

What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu

The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:17 pm

If you wanted to be hyperrealistic, all of the kids would be notably uglier. 14 is the bullseye age for pubescent awkwardness.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

Amalgam429
Embryo

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby Amalgam429 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 1:41 am

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:D&R is pretty much forced, unless the change includes the heroic effort needed to get EoE out on the original schedule.

Personally, I think we could stand to lose the DC material, with associated reductions in shipping material in EoE. And in similar vein, use a tightened up version of the alternate live action scene just to keep everyone off balance.

I haven't seen DR, but I've seen all of the directors cuts. Am I missing out on anything?
"How's it goin?"

"Aha, well, it's going, I guess"

- Kaji

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:29 am

There are some interludes where the characters are gearing up for a concert, which form an extra-canonical framing device; otherwise you're down to the details of which exact bit of re-reanimation and editing appear in the various versions of Death.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics||MAL
Avatar: Mahou Shoujo Rapture Asuka : "Slice them up with your magical karambit, chu!"

Reichu
Space-Time Teratoma
Space-Time Teratoma

Re: Re:

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:24 am

View Original PostAmalgam429 wrote:Am I missing out on anything?

I would definitely watch it at least once, for the unique footage (some of it providing information and context available nowhere else) and for the thematic juxtapositions that Masayuki chooses to make.

kuribo-04
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 1:04 pm

Also for the beautiful staff roll at the end.
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
"In any case, it (Kill la Kill) is the greatest work of fiction ever written and should be taught in schools." -Squigsquasher
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

Ghdust
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Ghdust » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:46 pm

Eva is perfect as it is, however....

God would be an actual, tangible being in the Eva-verse, similar to Truth in FMA:B or... God in Devilman. In the show’s history, instead of going to the Moon, the discovery of “God” was mankind’s greatest achievement in 1969.

Raziel would be the first Angel faced by mankind instead of Sachiel. The Angel would’ve attacked in 2014. It was destroyed using the Spear of Cassius (Adam’s spear) however the weapon was lost in the process.

NERV (in the eyes of the public) was created by the UN to find a way to stop the coming Angels without the spear.

There would be two additional episodes.

• New!Episode 18 would see Toji actually pilot Unit 03 in combat with the Angel Shateiel.
  • The events of the old E18 would now occur in E19.
  • Unit 03 would get infected by Bardiel during a sync-ratio test.
  • Like in the manga, Shinji would be forced to kill Toji rather than merely cripple him.
  • Shinji would go apeshit and attempt to destroy NERV HQ, almost succeeding until Gendo turns up the LCL pressure.
  • Rather than being immediately killed off, New!Episode 24 would see Kaworu pilot Unit 02 in combat with the Angel Iblis.
  • Asuka would attempt to kill Kaworu; possibly out of jealousy, possibly because she somehow knew his true nature, possibly both, and fail. Shinji, enraged that she would attempt to kill the only person who cares about him, gives her a "The Reason You Suck" Speech that causes her to breakdown and run away from NERV, eventually ending up in that rusty bathtub.
  • E24 would reveal that the Angels base their appearance on the first thing they see when they are “born”, mostly deep-sea life or inanimate objects, or in the case of Iblis, a turtle.
  • The events of old E24 would now happen in E25.

Instead of being the first third of EOE, I would replace Rebirth with the ending described in the Proposal, that being:

• The 12 strongest Angels would descend from the moon, utterly wreck America’s shit, and cause mankind to fall into mass panic.
  • In this ending the Angels win, and the audience would get to see what their version of Third Impact looks like. The planet would be *reborn* in a sense.
  • Similar to what Shamsiel-kun suggested, the violence would be turned up to Genocyber/Akira levels, every single named character would die in a horrific, gory, and intentionally unsatisfying way.
  • These twelve Angels would look like something out of Junji-Ito’s fever dreams.
  • Evangelion: Rebirth would be entirely in black and white like the final episodes of Gunbuster.

This ending wouldn’t be canonical though.

In EOE:

• GNR would be the Zeroth Angel, and given a name, Artiya'il, remover of human grief.
  • Rather than just NERV personnel, the audience gets to see everyone getting tanged. Hikari meeting Touji again, an American family hiding in a shelter watching the events on the news, a starving boy in India seeing his dead mother one last time, airplanes falling out of the sky, and city streets filled with empty cars.

Less serious shit:

* Misato and Kaji actually fuck on screen in episode 20, I was promised service dammit

* Get an actual member of The Beatles to sing Komn Susser Tod

snow344
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby snow344 » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:12 pm

View Original PostGhdust wrote:* Get an actual member of The Beatles to sing Komn Susser Tod

https://youtube.com/watch?v=1AKDWqMC2nQ
The fate of rebirth is also the joy of destruction.

Rei IV
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Rei IV » Wed Sep 04, 2019 5:23 pm

I would add another 26 episodes to series focusing on characters (and their dynamics with one another) and expand on some Eva mythos. With that, Rei would have a much bigger role (and not a mere plot device) and we get could some more depth with secondary characters, at least IMHO. Also, it gives an excuse for the kids do things that don't revolve around the damn Eva.
"I am neither false nor fake, I am simply me." - Rei Ayanami, Episode 25, "Do you love me?" ("The Ending World")

Return to “Evangelion Chit-Chat”