[Game] Neon Genesis Evangelion 2: Another Cases

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

Re: [Game] Neon Genesis Evangelion 2: Another Cases

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:07 pm

So got lots done in terms of the little things

1 - The tools bind.py, wave.py, text.py, and evs.py are now able to repack.

2 - Besides being able to reinject files, like the event scripts, back into the game with translations,
enough of the format is understood to add character appearances/modify expressions,
alter backgrounds, etc.

3 - Found the functions responsible for loading the /event/ .evs files, so I can execute any event/cutscene at will.

4 - Found a bunch of debug menus which can trigger various scenarios.
These will be useful for verifying translations without having to play through the game.

The way I found them was by having a script that'd relaunch the emulator a bunch of times,
each time forcing a jump to a different piece of code as if it was a menu function.
Most would crash, some would yield interesting results.
Took about two days.

Sadly I couldn't find a "master" debug menu that links to all those little menus.
Also I've toggled one-off features like slow-motion or camera position information,
and I've not seen those exposed anywhere in the debug menus uncovered so far.

And based on the pieces of text like this, I'm sure the master debug menu must exist in there still:

Code: Select all

0x001D1438: Data(DataType.String, 20, '● Battle Play Start\0', "●戦闘プレイ開始\0"),
    0x001D144C: Data(DataType.String, 20, '● Battle Demo Test\0', "●戦闘デモテスト\0"),
    0x001D1460: Data(DataType.String, 16, '● Adjusted Play\0', "●調整プレイ\0"),
    0x001D1470: Data(DataType.String, 16, '● Demo Check\0', "●デモチェック\0"),
    0x001D1480: Data(DataType.String, 20, '● Debug Switch\0', "●デバッグスイッチ\0"),
    0x001D1494: Data(DataType.String, 20, '● Game Flag Settings\0', "●ゲームフラグ設定\0"),
    0x001D14A8: Data(DataType.String, 24, '● Hideaki Anno Mode Settings\0', "●庵野監督モード設定\0"),
    0x001D14C0: Data(DataType.String, 24, '● Display Test Menu\0', "●表示テストメニュー\0"),
    0x001D14D8: Data(DataType.String, 28, '● Event Test Menu\0', "●イベントテストメニュー\0"),
    0x001D14F4: Data(DataType.String, 24, '● Screen Test Menu\0', "●画面テストメニュー\0"),
    0x001D150C: Data(DataType.String, 24, '● Misc. Test Menu\0', "●その他テストメニュー\0"),
    0x001D1524: Data(DataType.String, 20, '● Misato 1 Day Vacation\0', "●ミサト1日やすみ\0"),
    0x001D1538: Data(DataType.String, 16, '● Option\0', "●オプション\0"),
    0x001D1548: Data(DataType.String, 12, '● Test\0', "●テスト\0"),

But anyways, here they are, but first some notes:

After enabling cheats in PPSSPP
and adding the code to PPSSPP's cheats folder [i]PPSSPP_folder\PSP\Cheats\ULJS00064.ini[/i],
press triangle to activate it in-game.

The first couple of debug menus have lots of other sub-menus,
so definitely worth exploring.

I suggest using these on a PSP emulator,
since the menu selections tend to crash,
or some menus can't be exited without a reset.

Also, the debug menus don't pause the game,
so if a character interrupts with a new messagebox,
it'll "freeze" the menu.

Finally, lots of the battle-mode menus can't be brought up in battle-mode
since I haven't looked into a button hook for it, yet.

The codes:

_C0 Debug menu: Dummy/Outside/bath (crashes)
_L 0x201C97CC 0x088B6320

_C0 Debug menu: Priorities of something (no idea)
_L 0x201C97CC 0x088C295C

_C0 Debug menu: IM/Door trigger-locations viewer (can't exit)
_L 0x201C97CC 0x088CB99C

_C0 Debug menu: Shows IM by ranges; probably a select few for quickly executing
_L 0x201C97CC 0x088E6D28

_C0 Debug menu: IM Executor; select an IM and execute it
_L 0x201C97CC 0x088E71F0

If you set IM-0001 and Execute it, it will open up the following debug menu:

Or you can directly access the above menu via:

_C0 Debug menu: Impulse Debug Functions
_L 0x201C97CC 0x088ECD08

_C0 Debug menu: Daily Special Debug
_L 0x201C97CC 0x0888984C0

_C0 Debug menu: Some kind of Eva attack menu (Punch/Kick)
_L 0x201C97CC 0x0893A400

_C0 Debug menu: Another kind of Eva attack menu (act/cmd)
_L 0x201C97CC 0x0894B81C

_C0 Debug menu: Battle mode settings 1
_L 0x201C97CC 0x0895AFA0

_C0 Debug menu: Battle mode settings 2
_L 0x201C97CC 0x089387B8

_C0 Debug menu: Battle mode settings 3
_L 0x201C97CC 0x0895737C

_C0 Debug menu: Battle mode settings 4
_L 0x201C97CC 0x08910850

_C0 Debug menu: Some kind of btdemo/btldemo menu (they do nothing?)
_L 0x201C97CC 0x0893C958

_C0 Debug menu: Window frame/Display Tests (Lots of Unimplemented errors)
_L 0x201C97CC 0x089107A8

_C0 Debug menu: Event Tests (Lots of Unimplemented errors)
_L 0x201C97CC 0x089107FC

_C0 Debug menu: Impulse/Memory/Unit-Data (Lots of Unimplemented errors)
_L 0x201C97CC 0x089108A4

_C0 Debug menu: Modify AT field values
_L 0x201C97CC 0x08910CE0

_C0 Debug menu: Possibly camera controls (things just go pitch black/have no effect)
_L 0x201C97CC 0x08965C98

_C0 Debug menu: Character expressions
_L 0x201C97CC 0x088E6A44

Misc:

_C0 Oddity: Directly trigger siren (crashes afterwards):
_L 0x201C97CC 0x0888EEA0

_C0 Oddity: Sometimes crashes, sometimes makes a person leave the map
_L 0x201C97CC 0x0895DC64

In the top-right you'll notice Shinji has left

_C0 Oddity: Invert the draw ordering
_L 0x201C97CC 0x0898E96C

This is a fun/trippy one:

_C0 Oddity: Set time to midnight
_L 0x201C97CC 0x08842CE0

_C0 Oddity: Some kind of data transmission menu
_L 0x201C97CC 0x088851B0

_C0 Oddity: Some kind of Back/Redo/Next commands, unless this is used somewhere within the game?
_L 0x201C97CC 0x08840320

In and of itself, self-evident.

Kira BB Yamato
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kira BB Yamato » Thu Jul 05, 2018 10:52 pm

Holy moly, you've been real busy lately. Every time I check in lately, there's something new. Now I'm feeling inspired.

I've been busy with a new job, but I'm going to see about hacking away at this read-only section. ETA: soon™.

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Fri Jul 06, 2018 2:17 am

Kira BB Yamato wrote:Holy moly, you've been real busy lately. Every time I check in lately, there's something new. Now I'm feeling inspired.

I've been busy with a new job, but I'm going to see about hacking away at this read-only section. ETA: soon™.

Congrats on the new job! Also good to hear from you!

I've written up a contribution page in preparation of opening it up to the masses, ETA: soon™.
https://github.com/rezual/nge_2_re/blob ... IBUTING.md

But I still need to make some more tweaks,
like a script to unpack all the game files that translators can run to get their working environment setup,
and there's a whole two posts that Reichu wrote on the game's phrase generation and how they make translation a pain that I need to incorporate.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:04 am

Awesome work :jawdrop: It warmed my heart to see that (funny, heh, that ending) gif translated where Misato fills the pilot in on DefCon mechanic :3

Keep up the great work! Maybe you explained in your above post and I missed it, but what's with Asuka's school uniform(?) looking so strange in the debug menu settings? Some kind of alternate outfits?

Edit: Forgive my ignorance, but if I wanted to mess about with the debug menu in my game/PSP (I'd like to get a feel for what's what), is there a way to do so? I understand you said emulating is probably better so the PSP doesn't crash, which is fine, too. You can direct me to a post that explains all this, if I'm simply brainfarting :sweatdrop:
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

hui43210
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby hui43210 » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:08 am

Man, I'm gonna have to figure out how to emulate this once your done, really want to play this. Awesome work!
I mean, predictability is the central attraction and the narrative hook that we've all come to expect from the Evangelion franchise. How come Anno can't realize this? Twice? - FreakyFilmFan4ever

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:41 am

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Awesome work :jawdrop: It warmed my heart to see that (funny, heh, that ending) gif translated where Misato fills the pilot in on DefCon mechanic :3

Haha! Thanks!

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Maybe you explained in your above post and I missed it, but what's with Asuka's school uniform(?) looking so strange in the debug menu settings? Some kind of alternate outfits?

That's a texture edit I did to showcase being able to reinject image changes back into the game.
It's the 2014 German soccer kit, albeit distorted due to how the character was textured that I couldn't be bothered to play around further.

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:Edit: Forgive my ignorance, but if I wanted to mess about with the debug menu in my game/PSP (I'd like to get a feel for what's what), is there a way to do so? I understand you said emulating is probably better so the PSP doesn't crash, which is fine, too. You can direct me to a post that explains all this, if I'm simply brainfarting :sweatdrop:

If you have Custom Firmware on your PSP already, you'd essentially follow steps 1 & 2:
https://github.com/rezual/nge_2_re/blob ... IBUTING.md

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:31 pm

Haha, cute soccer outfit regardless. And thanks so much for your quick reply :asuka_thumbsup: (I remember I was a little annoyed in my brief play of PSP Eva: Jo that Shinji could be bandaged just like Rei when injured...I kind of hoped NGE2 would've had post-Angel battle elements like that in it.)

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:35 pm

So I've made some more changes that I've pushed to GitHub,
namely figuring out most of the game's image format to the point that every picture converts successfully now (from what I can tell). As well as I've created a script (tools/unpack-all.py) to assist with unpacking the game's contents
(after the ISO has been extracted).

What remains for me to look at:

1 - Re-compression - I made some investments towards tackling this a while back. It's still on my plate.
2 - Clean up hgar.py after compression is solved
3 - Look into why bind.py is saving files that are 3MB when the original is much less than this.
4 - Add automatic \n insertion for evs/text conversion to prevent in-game crashes.
5 - Document one more debug menu I found that I never documented (nothing interesting, just for completeness sake)
6 - Document for others how to run any game scenario at will
7 - Fix up/Regenerate some of the patch files so that they're easier to work with
8 - Look into modifying the game's font spacing
9 - Move the text around in the game's executable so that text doesn't get trimmed due to memory limits
10 - Finalize the Contribution guidelines
11 - Assist with tooling to get the pictures translated
12 - Work on a PSP plugin to apply the translation patch on actual hardware

As for getting the pictures translated,
I've picked out almost all the pictures that have Japanese text in them and uploaded them here:
https://github.com/rezual/nge_2_re/tree/master/pictures

(I think the only images I skipped were the scenario images of the store,
and I'm not sure why I ended up adding the train ones since those are minor.
And we probably won't end up touching the credits images, but I added them anyways.)

Anyways, the folders to focus on are the title-cards and menus folders.

For the menus folder, we'll need to go through each image and create background images without the Japanese text,
so that someone can later write on top of these background images the translated text, mimicking the style.
For a couple of them the background image is going to be a blank transparent background.

There'll need to be a decision regarding how we're doing some of the picture translations.
Like are we going to completely get rid of the Japanese, including the options menus that say the name of the menu in both English and Japanese?

As for scenario translations, do we do a yellow subtitle font, or completely edit the image?

Also quick note: certain images have a HELPER image. That's just a visual guide for how the game'll chop up bigger images into smaller chunks.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:04 pm

Hmm. My two cents, as a huge fan + my understanding growing in having translated various nerdy things:

Signs + Tel-Ops: Subtitles instead of swapping out for English, definitely. Don't be like Funimation with crudely replacing all the tel-ops in their Eva and Shin Godzilla releases :lol: Subtitle font color certainly depends on what's easily visible to people. Some of us have bad eyesight :tongue: (In the 90's/00's, I definitely remember anime with white subtitles but no black text outline...Now THAT was a mess.)

Honorifics: I personally like them, but they don't necessarily need to be used. Honorifics look like they're usually not referenced in official releases unless it's Persona or something, lol. (Sometimes official things change the rendering, too...Persona 3 Junpei's nickname for Yukari in Japanese "Yukaricchi" = in English became "Yuka-tan".)

Anyway. "Shin" and "Miss Misato/Ritsuko" work perfectly fine in place of "Shin-chan" and "Misato-san/Ritsuko-san" (like how ADV's Platinum release did). But, if we're going with western name order, e.g. Shinji Ikari, then you'd definitely want to render the honorifics Shinji-kun (e.g: Ikari Shinji-kun), otherwise it just feels "off" since lots of NGE2's dialogue is voiced, too. For instance, when Shinji's full name is stated (Ikari Shinji-kun = Shinji Ikari), I think excluding the honorific is fine in that situation. Otherwise it feels too clunky, at least IMO.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Wed Nov 28, 2018 11:04 pm

Playing around in PSP NGE2 for funsies (it's been at least a year!) and I swear Misato Engrishy renders Def Con as "Defense Communication" instead of Defense Condition.

Hope this thread is still going strong, I love the idea of a translation but it definitely needs a team effort :heart:

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Nov 29, 2018 10:07 am

^ Are you playing a disc or a rom?
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:07 pm

I've owned the PSP Memorial Box UMDs and the PS2 game since...2009, I think?

They're thankfully super cheap these days if you're searching for a used PSP copy.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:59 pm

^ I actually have a rom of it installed on my PSP (along with Battle Orchestra), I was just curious if you had done the same thing. But the game has certainly gotten cheaper the past few years.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

deeRez
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby deeRez » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:13 am

Yeah I wasn’t sure about DEFCON.
That was me just throwing together a random machine translation.

And yes, this project is still alive.
From a programming perspective there’s only a handful of things left to do - mainly simplify testing on actual hardware to allow for opening up the flood gates to other translators.

And I tend to update the github without making a forum post here.

Also, a bit of side news, someone informed me there was an official Korean version,
but for the PS2:

Shame it isn’t for the PSP, would have allowed for some fun cross-referencing.

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Dec 09, 2018 1:27 pm

Ah, glad to see that all is well!

That's pretty wild about a Korean PS2 release, I never knew that.

I'm sure you know how there can be (hilarious) translation hell in translating 3 different languages into each other, but like you said it could be fun from a cross referencing standpoint.

Kira BB Yamato
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kira BB Yamato » Tue Dec 25, 2018 6:05 pm

Merry Christmas! I'm back! Revived myself with burning blood!

Sorry for the delay. I ended up moving, starting two new jobs, and had a busy semester. One of the Gihren's Greed games just got a UI translation, and this inspired me to get back to work here. Just committed 171 new lines to the github, and I intend to knock out as many as I can as often as I can.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:31 pm

Welcome back, Kira! Hope to see more of you. ^_^ I've gotten pretty lazy over the months; I could use the friendly rivalry ("""rivalry""" :wink: ) to help spur me on.

Latest update looks good, but quick question about シール. I've been wondering what exactly this refers to -- I haven't played through Pen Pen's scenario so I'm not entirely sure. However, I suspect it's something that would be better understood as a "sticker". I should ask SSD about this.

Another question: Do you know anything about the Kansai dialect? I ask because our dear Toji will eventually need some love, and I can barely understand a thing he says. A problem that can be powered through, worst comes to worst...

@deeRez: Time to officially get back into the groove... I guess I'll start by backing up whatever I'd been working on locally (in the event something never got uploaded) and downloading the latest versions of everything. I want to thank you again for showing so much faith in me; it's both flattering and overwhelming, and I don't want to let you down. I think we left things off with getting a draft of the Tutorial text done so that a patching tech demo could be easily created?
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Kira BB Yamato
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Kira BB Yamato » Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:27 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote:Latest update looks good, but quick question about シール. I've been wondering what exactly this refers to -- I haven't played through Pen Pen's scenario so I'm not entirely sure. However, I suspect it's something that would be better understood as a "sticker". I should ask SSD about this.
Precisely. シール means 'sticker'. Pen Pen has to collect stickers and put them on a sheet to win some sort of contest.

Another question: Do you know anything about the Kansai dialect? I ask because our dear Toji will eventually need some love, and I can barely understand a thing he says. A problem that can be powered through, worst comes to worst...
Not a thing! We'll just have to stumble through it!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:33 pm

(Cross-post, for whoever is liable to look here and not in Discussion.)

To make some of the valuable lore from the game more widely available until such point as the patch is finished, I've subtitled the key content from Rei and Kaworu's PSP scenarios. (The videos themselves are rather poor quality, but for now they're good enough.) Much of Kaworu's scenario has been previously translated, but this is more complete and freshly polished. I've mentioned some of the content from Rei's before, but as far as I know this is the first time it's been available in English. Enjoy!

- Rei (Beyond Her Heart)
- Kaworu (Broken Wings)

(To grab transcripts of the subtitles, look beneath the YT video player. To the right of "SAVE", there should be a button with an ellipsis symbol. Click that, and the option "Open Transcript" should present. You can copy and paste from there.)
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:32 pm

It's so great to see translations of the Scenario digests ^_^ Back in the day, I especially found the Kaworu and Rei Scenarios fascinating, with the decisions they made (not spoiling it here for newcomers) and the Lilin they get close to.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”