Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Re: Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:48 pm

Suicide Squad was an aggressively terrible movie that was desperately trying to be Guardians of the Galaxy. Gunn could easily make it a good Guardians knockoff. I just hope he goes in an original direction with it instead of making it The Domestic Abuse is Cool Variety Hour with the Joker and Harley, Guest Starring Katana, Who You Better Not Let Kill You Because Her Sword Traps The Souls Of Its Victims.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:08 am

Seeing as one of the things James Gunn did on social media pre-Mike Cernovich & his team of Nazis getting him fired off Guardians 3 for decade old bad-taste jokes from his time at Troma, was flat out state several times that Jared Leto is a for-real peodphile who preys on & sleeps with underage fans of his, I doubt Leto is going to be in the Suicide Squad sequel.

Frankly, it hasn’t been announced but I would bet Jared Leto has been fired from the Warner Brothers DC Universe all together. The studio marketed things from the Suicide Squad set as “Leto was so in character as the Joker you’re getting something special” because they were trying to repeat the hype created by stories circulating around Heath Ledger’s turn as the Joker in The Dark Knight. Key difference is while there’s lots of juicy stories about Ledger getting into character to be the Joker and all he was still courteous and respectful to everyone on the cast & crew of TDK. Leto meanwhile was just a difficult prick to everyone on set because he was “Best Supporting Oscar Winner” Jared Leto. Margot Robbie especially didn’t like working with him and since her Harley Quinn was one of the only things people actually liked out of that film (and have made her along with Aquaman & Wonder Woman the real star characters of the DC Universe for now) she’s in a place of leverage. I’ve heard rumors that Robbie who has a lot of creative control over Birds of Prey basically had all Joker/Leto scenes cut out cause she didn’t want to work with him again.

Toss in all the other factors like Todd Phillips/Joaquin Phoenix JOKER movie existing, the focus on rebooting everything Batman with Matt Reeves turn & Leto having signed on to star as the lead in some 2020 movie called MORBIUS (don’t know the character, don’t care, it’s a comic book movie & will turn a profit even if it’s garbage) in Sony’s live action Spider-Man Adjacent Universe - unless if it’s under their umbrella studios aren’t crazy on having a star being in two ongoing franchises in the same genre, comic book in this case, at the same time - and I’d say Leto’s time as the Joker, just like Ben Affleck’s turn as Batman, is already over. Warner Brothers just has to announce it when they’re good and ready.

Toxic DC fanboys will continue to angrily argue to the contrary & mention old projects announced by WB/DC few years ago as proof Leto’s still around, but a Harley & Joker film starring Leto & another other Leto led DC movies are probably as dead as Zack Snyder’s Justice League: Part II (release date of June 14, 2019 set years ago) & the solo Cyborg film (release date April 3, 2020.... still no writers, director, cast or crew hired).

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:53 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I just hope he goes in an original direction with it instead of making it The Domestic Abuse is Cool Variety Hour with the Joker and Harley, Guest Starring Katana, Who You Better Not Let Kill You Because Her Sword Traps The Souls Of Its Victims.

I was really pissed at that take on their domestic abuse between Harley and the Joker because I heard they were gonna put in the more violent colder side of it but felt it would get to the audience so they cut it out. Yet that's the point of Harleys ark is she's an abuse survivor who gets away and out grows her abuser and becomes stronger than him and in the classic cartoon Batman The Animated Series its made very clear that if the Joker is in any form of peril he will throw Harley under a bus and seriously injure her to save himself along with hitting her putting her down and ignoring her.

The scene in suicide squad where he saves her in the plane by dropping her was meant to be her pushing her out to save himself but from what I heard but they changed it when they shouldn't have it should have shown in all its coldness and nastiness along with him hitting her as I still see a lot of people romanising that Harley/Joker are so in love and are such a great couple and I wanted this in the movie so it would silence that perception and make them wake the hell up.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:24 am

Venom was fucking hilarious but a Morbius movie is a really weird choice. Without Spider-Man or Blade the character is just a run of the mill vampire.

You’d think that they’d choose a less obscure villain for their villainverse or whatever they want to call it. I imagine Morbius the Living Vampire is about as well known to the man on the street as other Spidey rogues like the Enforcers, Cardiac, or Silver Sable.

The most noteworthy thing about him is the absolute hilarity of his appearances in the 1990s Spider-Man cartoon, where they had to get a vampire past the censors without calling him a vampire, without ever showing him biting anyone, and without any mention of blood.

They ended up having him drain “plasma” from people with holes in the palms of his hands. Which was, oddly, even more disgusting.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Feb 17, 2019 12:03 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Margot Robbie especially didn’t like working with him and since her Harley Quinn was one of the only things people actually liked out of that film (and have made her along with Aquaman & Wonder Woman the real star characters of the DC Universe for now) she’s in a place of leverage.

What strange times when DC's cinematic headliners are Harley, Wonder Woman and Aquaman. :lol: I never imagined we'd see DC banking on someone besides Batman and Superman. I'm really looking forward to Wonder Woman 2 and Shazam looks...okay, I guess? I'm not really familiar with the character besides the basics and the trailer didn't exactly grab me but it looks like it might be entertaining at least. I've really enjoyed a lot of DC's DTV animated movies and I'm still holding out hope that they'll get their shit together with the DCCU and put out a string of good movies.

I'm dying to see Captain Marvel. She's been my favorite hero since I first saw her in Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes as Miss Marvel. I knew of her before that but EMH was the first thing I'd seen with her in any significant role. My memory's a little fuzzy but I believe that was shortly before Marvel had 616 Carol take up the Captain Marvel name and costume. Keeping my fingers crossed that it's good. Marvel has done some pretty shitty stuff with her in the past and I'm a little leery of that. Word is that they want to introduce Kamala in CM2 and I am all for that.

Apparently there's some controversy or other because Brie Larson said she didn't want the press junket to be nothing but white men? I saw the usual suspects calling for a boycott while searching for any new tv spots last night but it reeked of outrage farming and clickbaity nonsense so I blocked, ignored and moved on. Didn't something like that happen for WW and Black Panther too? A 'boycott' doesn't work if you weren't buying the product anyway. :lol:
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:27 pm

Captain Marvel's early reactions are expectedly positive.
Unexpectedly, Ben Mendelsohn's lead Skrull villain is getting universal gushing praise.
Some of the complaints people had about the film before the feminism stuff started was that the plot/villains looked very generic, this seems to put that to bed to a extent. ^_^

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:18 pm

People have been absolutely fawning over Goose. Marvel even did a one hour livestream of her just doing cat things. :lol: They've released a bunch of new TV spots that have some fun bantz between Carol and Fury too.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Wed Feb 27, 2019 9:15 am

On the subject of Marvel, I saw some guy on DeviantArt today mention how he thought Disney was going to buy Sony Pictures next.

As for me? I think they're not going do that—at least not anytime soon. There are three big reasons for that.

The first reason is that they just bought 20th Century Fox for a massive $65 billion, making it their biggest purchase ever. Disney's previous major purchases—Pixar, Marvel, and Lucasfilm, were all spaced several years apart each. They had to be, because the company needed to fully absorb the cost of each one before moving onto the next one. All of those earlier purchases were about $4 billion each, which means Disney saw a return on them within a few years. But Fox is different. Disney probably won't break even on its acquisition of Fox for at least 5 years. And until then, it would be stupid to make ANOTHER huge purchase while they're still in the red from the last one.

The other reason is legal. With the addition of 20th Century Fox, Disney will control 40% of the American film market. Adding Sony to that would give them another 10%, pushing them over the 50% mark. In American anti-trust law, a company that controls at least 50% of the market for its product is considered a monopoly and can be forcibly broken up. Disney knows better than to do that.

The third reason is that there is no real reason for Disney to buy Sony Pictures. Everything Sony Pictures is doing, Disney already does too. The only possible reason I can think of for them to do this would be to regain the rights to Spider-Man. But even that isn't much of a reason. See, there’s a clause in a contract relating to the Spider-Man movies which says if Sony were to be sold, the rights would revert back to Marvel. So no matter who ends up buying Sony, Disney will still get Spider-Man regardless.
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:07 pm

I saw Captain Marvel. I liked it. Larson was a little bland, but the rest of the cast turned it into a fine romp. It manages to appear to very somewhat from the marvel theme but ultimately returns to the tried and true “hero fights bad guy who has similar powers and origins but looks slightly different” beat sheet. There’s one twist that will mean more to comic book fans than casual moviegoers.

Overall it’s very safe. Safe themes, safe plot, even the credit stingers were safe. It’s obvious that the directors here are not on the level of Waititi or Gunn.

The real star of the movie, of course, is Goose.

It wasn’t high art but it was a nice pick me up and I walked out with a smile on my face.

Disclaimer: I own a captain marvel purse and I’m thinking of picking up the jacket.

Conclusion: I don’t care what prewritten slams prententious cirtics wrote when this movie was announced. It was a fun diversion worth the ticket price. Three thumbs up.
the prophecy is true

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:51 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I saw Captain Marvel. I liked it. Larson was a little bland, but the rest of the cast turned it into a fine romp.

I had a blast but I think this was the one big misstep the movie made.
SPOILER: Show
For a good chunk of the movie we see Vers rather than Carol and she was dealing with that whole "control your emotions" Kree brainwashing. I think this might be a Captain America situation where the first movie sets up the character but Avengers and the eventual sequel will really nail their personality.

All in all it felt really similar to The First Avenger. If you enjoyed that you'll probably like Captain Marvel too!

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:02 am

View Original PostBlueBasilisk wrote:People have been absolutely fawning over Goose. Marvel even did a one hour livestream of her just doing cat things. :lol: They've released a bunch of new TV spots that have some fun bantz between Carol and Fury too.

I love Goose the cat I wanna buy his Funko pop figure but I'm just wondering how many people are gonna go oh god no when the realize...

Its not a cat its an alien monster called a Flerken dressed as one...
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Mar 08, 2019 6:24 pm

Have you seen the movie yet? That's what I meant by he steals the show. Seriously, it's the funniest shit in the movie.

He even gets an end credit scene all to himself.
the prophecy is true

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:36 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Have you seen the movie yet? That's what I meant by he steals the show. Seriously, it's the funniest shit in the movie.

He even gets an end credit scene all to himself.

Not yet gonna see it next week, love that he's getting stuff like this though ^_^

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:19 pm

Batman vs TMNT: The animated movie! Just inject this straight into my veins, please.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:30 am

Someone get me a fainting couch, I have the vapors.
the prophecy is true

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Mar 13, 2019 10:58 am

That got to be the dumbest idea ever and I can't wait to rent it and enjoy the Hell out of it.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:09 pm

Batman fighting Shredder is the greatest thing I did not know I need.
the prophecy is true

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:07 pm

There are currently three Batman/TMNT crossovers available. 2 with the IDW TMNT and comics Batman and one with the 2012 TMNT and BTAS. I'm not sure if the movie is directly adapting one of these or not.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:31 pm

the prophecy is true

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:14 pm

REHIRED JAMES GUNN!!!

In all my days, I never thought this would actually happen. Who knew that Dave Bautista could actually beat up the Mouse like that?

Return to “Film and Video”