If Lilith was born from the Black Moon, why is Rei always shown with the White Moon?

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
Lucky_Hamburger
Embryo

If Lilith was born from the Black Moon, why is Rei always shown with the White Moon?

•      
  •      

Postby Lucky_Hamburger » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:36 am

In NGE, the moon is usually seen with Rei. However, this does not make sense. According to the wiki, Lilith was born from the Black Moon, while Adam was from the White Moon. Because of this, shouldn't we see Kaworu with the White Moon and Rei with the Black Moon?
"I don't understand what you're talking about!"
--Shinji, me, my dad. (All at different times.)

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: If Lilith was born from the Black Moon, why is Rei always shown with the White Moon?

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:23 pm

Neither the Black Moon nor the White Moon is the Moon in the sky which is associated with Rei.

https://wiki.evageeks.org/White_Moon
https://wiki.evageeks.org/Black_Moon
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: If Lilith was born from the Black Moon, why is Rei always shown with the White Moon?

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:29 pm

Lilith wasn't "born" from the Black Moon; it's the vessel she used to get to Earth. Rei is associated with Earth's Moon, as in the satellite, because of First Impact. The Black Moon collided with Earth, and debris from the Black Moon's rocky outer shell and the Earth was ejected into orbit, where it eventually coalesced into Luna.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 5:36 pm

View Original PostReichu wrote: Rei is associated with Earth's Moon, as in the satellite, because of First Impact.

Just like our real life Giant Impact theory and the asteroid Theia colliding with Earth to create the Moon.So really, our Moon is byproduct of the White Moon + Black Moon colliding to create something else that floats off from Earth....

Just as Adam/Kaworu and Lilith/Rei III "collide" to create something new - Super Eva Unit 01 (as the child of both) that floats off from Earth...

OMG, the SYMBOLISM was there the whole time in indicating Yui's ultimate fate the ENTIRE TIME...especially given the fact that the Moon is slowly drifting further and further away from Earth's orbit... :bigeyes:
FROM EVANGELION:
"Acts of Man are greater than acts of God!"

"I'm saying that I love you."

NOT FROM EVANGELION:
"You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold."

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”