Bakelite in the EVA pens

For serious and at times in-depth discussions only, covering the original TV series, the movies End of Evangelion and Death & Rebirth.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
confusedfan343
Embryo

Bakelite in the EVA pens

•      
  •      

Postby confusedfan343 » Sat Jan 05, 2019 12:31 am

In EoE, as everyone knows, bakelite is released into the corridors of NERV headquarters to slow the advance of JSSDF. When Shinji arrives at unit 01 in the EVA pen, it is almost entirely encased in bakelite. I remember when Misato orders the release of bakelite after the deployment of unit 02, and there is no mention of any release of bakelite into the eva pens. I assume when the release of bakelite is ordered, all the passageway and corridor numbers are generic and have no real significance to or indication of the location of the eva pens' locations. It, in my opinion, is implied that that there is no intentional release of bakelite into the eva pens, so if that is true how did the bakelite get into unit 01's pen. The glob of bakelite doesn't seem to be from any one point of release, yet there's so much of it that it seems unlikely that this release came from minor damages (cracks, holes, breaks in the walls).
My only idea of how it got into unit 01's pen is that the damage that nerv HQ sustained allowed some bakelite to accidentally seep into the eva pen, as seen by the sloppy and unintentional look of the bakelite in the pen (it looks like it has seeped into the room through the walls and even what look like an open door in one horrible quality image i found online). I don't think there is any specific mention of how the bakelite gets into the pen in the script but i could be incorrect.
What does anyone else think? Is there any reason you can think of that would explain why bakelite entered the eva pens?

(This is probably the most petty thing i've ever bugged anyone about but this has been bugging me for a while)

Here are some reference images (i'm sorry for the low quality, these were the best i could find.)

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Bakelite in the EVA pens

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:25 pm

The relevant lines:

NERV operator (male):
Level 3 Block B invaded! Defense impossible!

Shigeru (off screen):
Enemy also confirmed in Block F! Main Bypass under crossfire!

Misato:
Abandon Levels 1 to 3! Combat teams, retreat!
Release Bakelite into all passages and pipes up to Section 803!

AOBA:
Affirmative!

(Shot of Bakelite being released)

Background announcement:
Commence Bakelite injection from Section 703. 30 seconds to completion.
Commence Bakelite injection from Section 737. 30 seconds to completion... (continues)

Later...

JSSDF radio:
Yamagishi squad at No. 7 cage, report your status, over.
Purple unit secured.
No problems with Bakelite infusion.

As for making any sense of how the Bakelite got there, this is probably contingent on making sense of Nerv HQ's layout. This is not an undertaking that anyone to my knowledge has ever seriously attempted (if it's happened, we don't have access to the results, anyway), so it would be a most worthwhile waste of time for anyone in the mood to carefully comb the series from front to back.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:10 pm

I feel like making 100% sense of the Nerv HQ layout is pretty much impossible, given the overall layout of the geofront and the way the Evas are launched to the surface... Inside of the pyramid I can see it happening with a lot of effort, but beyond that the series contradicts itself (at least from my understanding)
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Jan 05, 2019 11:25 pm

What ABOUT the "overall layout" makes "making sense of the layout" impossible? From the ridiculously useless map of a single floor(?!) in episode 1, the place has a hexagonal cross-section with the Central Shaft in the middle. After that, it's mostly figuring out what the various letters and numbers and terminology (level, block, etc.) refer to, and how exactly we're meant to make sense of the various recurrent visuals we see.

Assuming you're complaining about why obvious Eva elevator shafts aren't running through the top sliver of the Geofront, this is because (A) the Black Moon is a sphere, and (B) the Evas are typically deployed to the city outskirts (out beyond the retractable cross-shaped block) anyway.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

ACGT-Samael
Tunniel
Tunniel

•      
  •      

Postby ACGT-Samael » Fri Jan 11, 2019 2:08 pm

Slightly off-topic but did is it ever stated anywhere what the NGE version of Bakelite even is? It differs way too much from the real world proto plastic to be the same stuff.

Return to “Evangelion TV Series + EoE Discussion”