Eva 2.XX Storyboards vs. Final

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:06 am

I'm assuming the post-Bardiel Shinji reactions/Asuka getting pulled out of the Plug was cut/unused because it wouldn't make much sense without the context of Asuka face melt... And maybe that was cut due to time constraints or too much body horror shock with Asuka (thus, focus taken away from later events)?

Still, interesting scans. Thanks, Reichu! BTW, was anything cut/unused with 1.xx?

Reichu wrote:Zeruel setting off a Lavos-like pile of crossplosions. (And making one of those big cross-shaped incisions in the ground the Angels seem so fond of now.) But... wait, what's Shinji doing here?

Shinji: I decided not to pilot anymore.

Why he's just standing there and watching while talking is rather head-scratching inducing, however... I guess it's when Khara was still figuring out the order of things of the Shinji and Mari talk. Or perhaps Shinji's talking to himself in that shot? Even more interesting thought: Maybe this is supposed to be the "scrapped" shot of Mari standing and watching the crosses, but Shinji's nearby? (Whether or not Mari would be watching like in the Preview or it would be in-film after Beast Mode, who knows I guess, unless CRC says something about this.)

(Btw, Reichu, you keep calling Seele00TextOnly as "Seele08"... -o-; )
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

Hatsumi92
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby Hatsumi92 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:29 pm

I still question as to why some of these scenes were left out. A lot of them are really good and disturbing such as the Eva-03 trying to crawl away and Asuka screaming.

I can't wait for the Q Complete Records to have a whole load of left out awesome shit in it too.

(Though I guess if these were implemented I would feel the same way about any "new" left out scene.)

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:07 pm

View Original PostHatsumi92 wrote:I still question as to why some of these scenes were left out. A lot of them are really good and disturbing such as the Eva-03 trying to crawl away and Asuka screaming.

It may have simply been an issue of length, matching the sequence to the song. :shrug:

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:35 pm

View Original PostWarren Peace wrote:It may have simply been an issue of length, matching the sequence to the song. :shrug:

I'm not sure that really works -- the version of the song that was used in the film was cut down from a longer version as is. Plus, one can really manipulate the timing of individual shots. I think there was a different reason.

View Original PostHatsumi92 wrote:A lot of them are really good and disturbing such as the Eva-03 trying to crawl away and Asuka screaming.

Asuka screaming? As I mentioned to Xous, the sound (which, transcribed, is "KISHAAAAAAAA"... however that would be enunciated...) is made by Eva-03. But they have "(Asuka)" written next to "Eva-03", as if to suggest that Asuka is behind the noise.

And, yeah, I bet the set for 3.0 is going to be very large, very expensive, and even more overloaded with rejected material that we'll get to weep over.

View Original PostSailor Star Dust wrote:I'm assuming the post-Bardiel Shinji reactions/Asuka getting pulled out of the Plug was cut/unused because it wouldn't make much sense without the context of Asuka face melt... (snip)

If they wanted to keep it, they would have just modified it to be consistent with other changes, like anything else.

BTW, was anything cut/unused with 1.xx?

There's at least some stuff, yes. I never took a really good look, though, since 1.xx was pretty boring for me. But I'll grab the books from home over Easter weekend and see if I can scan some things from that, too.

With regard to Shinji standing around and watching Zeruel's 'splosions, it seems to be conforming to the screenplay scenario here. Mari is waiting in the Geofront to fight Zeruel -- that part isn't different.

(Btw, Reichu, you keep calling Seele00TextOnly as "Seele08"... -o-; )

Heh! I don't think it would happen if I wrote out her whole name. It's only when I omit the "TextOnly" that my brain mysteriously gravitates toward an "08"... I shall be more alart.

Random Goody: In the screenplay version, it looks like Zeruel tries to eat Eva-01 right before Shinji goes bonkers. "My tenant is feeling lonely -- GET IN MY BELL-AY!"

Post getting long... I'll reply to Xous later.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

Warren Peace
Potential Pilot
Potential Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby Warren Peace » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:20 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:I'm not sure that really works -- the version of the song that was used in the film was cut down from a longer version as is. Plus, one can really manipulate the timing of individual shots. I think there was a different reason.

Speaking of the longer version, I wonder if it features some of the unused score for:

View Original PostReichu wrote:[*]C-1117~1120: Eva-01's eyes turning back to white; Shinji sniffling in plug as dummy system boots off and releases him.
[*]C-1120~23: "Asuka's alive?"
[*]C-1124~29: Shinji sees Asuka being taken out of the plug.

The long version has this odd, distorted coda at the end, where the song starts back up again before climaxing on an ominous, dark note. I could see it fitting that scene. Complete speculation, but...

EDIT: Here, it starts at 2:45 -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypdy3nJQvVA

EDIT 2: I screwed up the tags in Reichu's quote, but yeah, that really does sound like the soundtrack of http://evageeks.org/images/production/eva2-22_econte_C1124-1129.png to me.
Last edited by Warren Peace on Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:41 am

Warren: That's interesting... You're probably correct that the coda was intended for the excised scene after the plug-crushing. Too bad I don't have the soundtrack booklet on me; that might provide confirmation.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:37 am

Reichu: Sounds good with 1.xx cut scenes. Probably nothing too interesting but I'm still looking forward to it.

I was wondering what was the deal with the ominous coda version (besides my using it for evil purposes like my 2.22 VN >_> ), so Warren Peace's thoughts do make sense.

While Shinji getting to see Asuka pulled from the plug with Kyou no Hi Wa Sayonara 3:40 minute version playing would have been great dramatics (whether or not Asuka Face-Rip would have stayed), I guess they cut it to keep the viewer in suspense on Asuka's physical condition as well as Shinji being at a loss on what exactly happened to her/blocking out the possibilities as well as the whole situation out of his mind because GUILT and FATHER DOESN'T NEED ME BLARGH.

Also: wasn't the CD and booklet released several months before the film was? I wouldn't think it would discuss the content of the scenes due to spoilers in that case, but maybe it does have some vaguely worded information on scenes... (I really need to buy the 1.0 and 2.0 OSTs sometime...)

I hope I didn't already say this somewhere...

Sailor Star Dust
Kept you waiting, huh?
Kept you waiting, huh?

•      
  •      

Postby Sailor Star Dust » Fri Apr 29, 2011 10:10 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:[*]C-0821~0823: Revised storyboards. (Yeah, I didn't figure out what these were before; I'm baka desu.)

Just a note: this is one of the Omit Scenes on the Japanese and U.S. DVD/BD.

And I can't remember what thread this is from since I saved this translation on my HD, but this is how the Kaworu/Asuka exchange went:

1QSRP.jpg:

The face of "Asuka with the torn off identity" speaks in Kaworu's voice.
K: "It's not like you."
A: "Not like me?"
K: "Being happy doesn't fit you."
A: "My happy self is scary. // So let's go back to the usual me."
~Take care of yourself, I need you~

iihieiii
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby iihieiii » Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:19 am

Wow Nice!
Where can i find the Scripts for the Rebuild Series ?? I want to see some of ideas of Anno on Storyboard and Script =P...(btw is there anything translated ?)

Thanks in ADV

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Re: Eva 2.XX Storyboards vs. Final

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:13 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:
  • The scene with Rei's mysterious underground facility was longer. Her visit to the oversized test tube was prefaced by a stop with Ritsuko at another facility (consisting of a bunch of large pillars in a pit, in a blatantly SToL-like configuration) where Rei is showering after doing something mysterious.

Necro bump a 7 years old thread to point out that this wasn't scrapped from the Rebuild but reused in 3.33 instead.

So there's a chance of other scrapped stuff making its way into the final movie (thinking about Asuka and Bardiel mainly).
Last edited by Joseki on Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kendrix
Defender of Puppy Boy
Defender of Puppy Boy

•      
  •      

Postby Kendrix » Sat Jan 05, 2019 10:24 pm

lots of interesting bits here, poor Asuka. The reaction shot reminds me a tad of the moment when Shinji finally makes it out of the geofront in EoE and finds the poor girl in pieces.
Does this imply that she felt eva 03 being dismembered?
I considered this once as a dark fic scenario, but I assumed she was probably out cold in canon.

it wouldve been a tad overcrowded, trying to squash the bardiel thing, the mind rape AND some EOE like dismemberment (without the preceding cool moment at that) into one scene. You wouldnt be able to give each horror element its proper time and youd have either confusion or oversaturation.

Though it seems to me that the main reason for the changes was simply to make it ambiguous whether she lived at all.

It's not like anything about Shinji's reaction would have been changed, and as undignified as his subsequent behavior is its got more oomph if he thinks that she's outright been killed.

We're shown that she's intact after the tantrum during the cleanup phase, and of course Shinji doesn't find out until Q.
I wanted to try harvesting the rice

I wanted to hold Tsubame more

I wanted to stay together forever with the boy I like

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Mon Jan 07, 2019 4:45 pm

Miyamura provided the sounds for Eva-03, and the coloration if the arms that grow from the Eva recall Asuka. I assume these choices were made because Asuka's psyche is active and imvolved on some level. Her being able to feel what was happening seems likely to me.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Sat Apr 06, 2019 11:21 pm

Not from the storyboards per se, but from the manuscript published in the 2.0 CRC:

A giant spear is being transported to Antarctica.
A giant face covering the sky.
Four radiant giants with haloes above their backs and heads. Tails of light are extending from ?one back to another?.
The radiant giants extend vast wings.

The continent of Antarctica is turning into a red sea.
Something resembling a giant cruciform Tree of Life stands towering over the explosion center, remaining on a tilt.
The ocean surface is being stained red.
A girl beholds all this. The only human left alive at the impact center. It's a younger Misato.
A cross pendant, now a memento of her father, is in her hand.

Kaji (voice only): It was 15 years ago. An investigation of an object called Adam, discovered in Antarctica. Her father was in charge of it. Second Impact happened during the investigation. She was 14 at the time, same as you.

Original Japanese  SPOILER: Show
南極に巨大な槍が運ばれている。
天を覆う巨大な顔。
背中と頭上に光の輪を持つ四体の光の巨人。お互いの背中から光の尾が伸びている。
巨大な翼をひろげる光の巨人たち。

赤い海へと変わっていく南極大陸。
爆心地に傾いたままそびえ立つ巨大な十字型の生命の樹らしき物体。
赤い色が海面を染めていく。
を、見つめる少女。爆心地でのただ一人の生き残った人間。少女時代のミサ卜である。
手に父親の形見となった十字のベンダント。

加持の声「15年前に行われた、南極で発見されたアダムと呼ばれる物体の調査。彼女の父親はその指揮を執っていた。その調査中にセカンドインパクトは起こった。君と同じ14才の時だ」

Notice how, at this phase, a singular "Adam" is mentioned by Kaji, but the flashback still has four giants...
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:03 am

Wow! Would you say this is good evidence for the Adam Kadmon theory? The final scripts have cut all mention of what happened during Second Impact and what the Katsuragi team was doing in Antarctica in the first place, and while the details of the final sequence differ from this somewhat, this information doesn't appear to contradict the few things we do know.

Also there's that damn spear being moved again. :lol: At least in this version we do know there's more than one.
Last edited by BlueBasilisk on Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

andreh
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby andreh » Sun Apr 07, 2019 10:04 am

View Original PostReichu wrote:A giant face covering the sky.
Four radiant giants with haloes above their backs and heads.

This is very interesting! From what I understand, there was a bigger creature in addition to the four Adams at the Impact epicenter? Does this mean that the four giants were one single being that somehow was divided into four beings? :???:
I do not speak English natively. If you see any error, blame my teacher or Google Translate LOL

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”