Your first thoughts on initially watching NGE.

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

NemZ
Token Misanthrope
Token Misanthrope

•      
  •      

Postby NemZ » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:31 am

My first impression? "Wow, this blue haired chick doesn't fuck around. What show is this?"

Friend (whips head around like dramatic hampster): "You've never seen this? It's eva."

Me: "What's Eva?"

Friend turns ep23 off, puts in tape #1, hands me a beer. "This is eva. You're going to start watching it right now, and that's final."

:lol:
Rest In Peace ~ 1978 - 2017
"I'd consider myself a realist, alright? but in philosophical terms I'm what's called a pessimist. It means I'm bad at parties." - Rust Cohle
"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize that half of 'em are stupider than that." - George Carlin
"The internet: It's like a training camp for never amounting to anything." - Oglaf
"I think internet message boards and the like are dangerous." - Anno

Nuclear Lunchbox
Agent Ahegao
Agent Ahegao

•      
  •      

Postby Nuclear Lunchbox » Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:46 am

Sounds like a darn fine way to get into the show. :wink:

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:54 am

I caught the first episode (sans into) on Toonami as part of Giant Robot week, and I remember thinking it had to be some kind of straight-faced parody. It hit a bunch of giant robot tropes I'd started to identify from other mecha shows on Toonami at the time, Shinji was so over the top with his whining, and Unit 01 looked so bizarre and ridiculous that I was sure it couldn't have been a serious show.

It started growing on me after a few more episodes, mostly thanks to Rei, but once Asuka showed up and the team was assembled, I was totally hooked.

Reiggae
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Reiggae » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:38 pm

1-6: Nice use of music. Rei is the best. Animation looks old, but I prefer it that way.
7-13: Asuka kinda annoying, but I want to know her backstory. Pretty typical anime.
14-19: Damn, this is pretty cinematic for something with such a low budget. The music is still amazing.
20: This is my favorite anime now.
21-24: Still my favorite anime, not a dull moment in these episodes.
25-26: Holy shit, I'm loving this. This is THE show, man.
Love is destructive: Still sad as hell, I love it.
I need you: This is my favorite movie, oh my god. This is the greatest thing I've ever watched.
We are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:45 pm

^ I saw the filmmerks’ other works prior to Eva, and knew the director seemed to include red-head characters in prominent roles. I spent most of the OP wondering when this red head would finally appear in the show itself.

Reiggae
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Reiggae » Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:49 pm

^
Can't blame a man for enjoying feisty red-heads.
We are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There is no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we are the imagination of ourselves.

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:40 pm

My first experience with Eva was watching EoE when I was 12-14, let me tell you what I was thinking.

SPOILER: Show
BOOBIES :fap: :fap: :fap:

I also thought the kiss between Shinji and Misato was freaking hot, it's part of the reason I shipped them.

I thought it was incredibly sad, I definitely cried. Everybody was so freaking relatable it physically hurt me.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

HiImAnAlien
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby HiImAnAlien » Mon Jul 07, 2014 11:40 am

View Original PostSquigsquasher wrote:Ep 1: Aww, this kid looks sad. Maybe he needs a hug.
Ep 2: Ooh, robot fights! What? Oh, hospital, did he lose? Oh, wait, more robot fights and- HOLY SHIT WHAT ARE YOU DOING UNIT 01 CALM YO NON-EXISTANT TITS
Ep 3: Yeah, Shinji, you did good- hey, why are they beating the poor kid up? HOLY SHIT IT'S DONGZILLA. Oh shit, Shinji, get outta there! Wait, is he going to fight? Oh dear god Shinji stop screaming, it's frightening me.
Ep 4: Shinji's depressed. Poor kid needs a hug. Huh, guess those 2 weren't douches after all. Oh look, there's Kensuke! Oh god, G-men. Now Shinji's resigning. Don't blame ya kid- oh wait, he's not!
Ep 5: Oh god the Eva is losing its shit, dear god what is up with that groaning? Aww, Rei is...cute? no, maybe "disturbing" is more accurate. Still cute though. Oh shit, it's like crystal Shop da Whoop! I wonder how- Oh god the screaming again.
Ep 6: Ooh! Eva co-op mission! POW! Aww, Rei is so damn cute when she smiles.
Ep 7: Ooh, conspiracy and- Oh god what is that Staypuft Marshmallow Man thing? It's hideous, make it go away! Ha! Jet Alone is so derpy! Waddle waddle waddle! Oh thank goodness, Shinji and Misato stopped it. Ooh, more conspiracy!
Ep 8: Asuka is a bitch. The battle is cool though.
Ep 9: BEST. EPISODE. EVER.
Ep 10: HA, thermal expansion, brilliant! Ridiculous, but funny.
Ep 11: Pfft, the power's gone out. Ha, this episode is brilliant! Asuka's a bitch, but a funny one! Oh, that battle was lame.
Ep 12: Oh dear god what's going onand why is there screaming? Oh, Asuka's being a bitch again. Ha. Whoa, that Angel is UGLY. Ha, awesome battle! What's this? Gendo being nice to Shinji?
Ep 13: Shit, this episode is dark. Also, Ritsuko is a badass.
Ep 14: Laaaaaaaaaaaaame.
Ep 15: Aww, this is sad. Wait, why is Asuka molesting Shinji?
Ep 16: Did that Zebra ball just eat Unit 01? Oh god, Shinji's going insane, and- OH MY GOODNESS HE JUST TORE OUT OF IT AND NOW THERE'S BLOOD EVERYWHERE
Ep 17: Oh shit, there goes NERV US. Best get the tow-hooks out. Ooh, conspiracy, and is Touji gonna be an Eva pilot?
Ep 18: ARGH THE SCREAMING. Poor Touji, you were awesome.
Ep 19: OH MY GOD THIS IS TERRIFYING
Ep 20: Jesus Christ Unit 01 is ugly.
Ep 21: Did...Did she just strangle a toddler?!?
Ep 22: Oh dear god I can never listen to Hallelujah the same way again.
Ep 23: ...YEURGHOHMYGODTHISISHIDEOUS...Also, poor, poor Rei...
Ep 24: *sob* RIP, Kaworu, you were the boss. Also, someone give Shinji a hug.
Ep 25/26: ...I don't know what just happened, but I think I liked it. Happy ending?

EOE: ...I can never sleep again...

So yeah. Basically enjoyment and laughter followed by trauma.

This is awesome.
Misato Katsuragi + Motoko Kusanagi :WIN

Black Swordsman
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Black Swordsman » Tue Jul 08, 2014 10:49 am

I watched 1.11 and 2.22 before NGE, so I'll start with them. Watched 1.11 one night and thought it was pretty damned good. Then the next day, I watched 2.22. That night, I watched 1.11. Then I watched 2.22. Then I watched 2.22. Then a week later I watched 1.11 followed by 2.22.
Needless to say, I though that it was bloody amazing and couldn't get enough of it. The first time 2.22 ended I just stared at the screen for a while. So, eager for the 3rd film, I google it. Much to my utter disappointment, the film was yet to be released even in Japan! So I waited...then it came out. I tried the camera rip but couldn't take it. So I waited for the Japanese BD release so that I could torrent it, checking every 10 minutes or so for a sub after it was released. I got it downloaded on the day of my Art exam...that made the exam so unbearably long, but I also had to wait until the end of the day for the school bus! Gah!
So, I finally make it home and I rush into my room and put 3.33 on instantly. I watched through it eagerly, and felt very disappointed at first. I watched it again a few days later and liked it a lot more, and I like it more every time I watch it. What a strange one it is.
So, after watching 3 Rebuild films and being incredibly excited for the 4th one, I look into it more. To my pleasure, a series! But from 1996? Yuck (:facepalm:) I think to myself. (Dammit you fool, younger me!). So I leave it for a while...but then I decide to just go for it out of Eva depravation. I look for boxsets and was put off by the low availability and hefty price tags, so reluctantly I torrent the series. I watch episodes 1-7 rather unimpressed, thinking the series was pretty much just like the Rebuild only with old animation and bad voice acting (dub). Then episode 8, Asuka strikes...and oh boy she did. Hilarious episode, wonderful introduction for my favourite Eva character. To this day, episode 8 is one of my favourite episodes. From 8 through to 26 I watch, realising that this is the greatest series I have ever watched. The characters mean so much more than Rebuild, that was what I liked the most.
And then comes the ending. Now, I knew to watch EoE as a sort of replacement for 25 & 26, but I watched them anyway as I was hungry for all that I could get. I watched them, rather perplexed. Then onto EoE. Oh boy. I absolutely loved it. Hands down the greatest thing that I have ever watched. I was literally unable to watch anything else for a few more days, and I had no one to talk to about it. So for a while I read through all the things I could find on the series and read the manga. The manga was damned amazing as well, anther different iteration that I expected to be just the same!
So basically, my first experience with Evangelion (Rebuild) was holy sh*t this is amazeballs I need more. My ending reaction to NGE + EoE was just amazed. It's not every day you just find your favourite thing. So that was more than a year ago that I watched NGE and just under 3 years since I watched Rebuild.
Now I have had all of my friends watch it, with all of them loving it just like me. We talk about it every time we see each other, theres always something to discuss. I have the series on DVD now as well, though the aspect ratio annoys me. I do laugh at my original thoughts on NGE, not wanting to watch it simply because it was old. What a silly person I was.

Yoshikage Kira
Embryo

Re: Your first thoughts on initially watching NGE.

•      
  •      

Postby Yoshikage Kira » Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:37 pm

Yeah this is pretty good

Wait I can't stop watching

Please I have to piss please I must stop watching

Yeah that was pretty good I would recommend but now I'm scared of everything for some reason.
"I simply want a peaceful life. It's just that it's in my nature to kill..."

天使 | Nyo | 天使
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby 天使 | Nyo | 天使 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:10 pm

I was loving every minute of it, but when the psychological stuff (not sure what episode they started doing that stuff in EXACTLY) started happening, I started to question myself, the world, and everything in it. I felt pretty depressed from it because minus the robots and angels, you have a down to earth show with very real people who have their own flaws. The more the show went on, the more I connected to the characters ESPECIALLY Shinji. He and I are disturbingly similar to each other (maybe I'll make another post specifically talking about how him and I are alike, I've said snippets about that topic in other posts as well.)

By the end of the show (after watching the two movies), I felt a special connection with this show (maybe more of an obsession, but still), and knew it was probably my favorite anime I had ever watched (although that's not saying much since the only other "real anime" I've watched is Fullmetal Alchemist, the rest is just a bunch of Romance Amazon Prime anime stuff that isn't worth anything. This show actually influenced me to NOT watch Made In Abyss, it was kind of GoatJesus too with this Rei Ayanami character analysis, but the whole "cuteness" thing for anime doesn't really work on me anymore.)

Those feelings of love from when I first watched the show still haven't left me, and I hope to hold onto it for as long as I live. :love:
Yeah, I change the things I'm interested in on a dime. Seriously, one day I'll be playing SMT, the next day it's VRChat, then it's just whatever I'm feeling like playing at that point. "Oh wow, you're uhhh...something that's for sure." -Anyone who meets me for the first time basically.

Youtube: Nyo, the one with the Tatsuya Suou (main character from Persona 2: Innocent Sin) Picture. I can't link it on my profile because it doesn't properly link it for some reason.

Discord: Nyo-kun#4442, don't send me weird pics or something. I'll just be using it for anyone who wants to contact me outside of the forums, don't harass me either.)

~Nyo :3

The Divine Emperor
Embryo
Location: A wild weird clime that lieth, sublime, out of Space, out of Time

•      
  •      

Postby The Divine Emperor » Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:21 pm

Eps. 1-6: "I like the pacing, but this doesn't seem that noteworthy."
Ep. 7: "Filler. Obvious filler."
Eps. 8-13: "Why am I still wasting my time with this?"
Eps. 14-17: "Well, this is getting interesting."
Eps. 18-21: "Hmm. Impressive, actually."
Eps. 22-26, EoE: "...I'm in love."
We lie to ourselves every day, we know it, and we can’t do anything about it. We get along with other people by humoring their delusions. When we don’t, they hate us, and we are alone.

...Wendy Smith

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”