New version of Concurrency Project

For Eva-related fan projects: fanfiction, fanart, AMVs, and other creations. Share your work and discuss others' here.

Moderator: Board Staff

TBsq
Embryo

New version of Concurrency Project

•      
  •      

Postby TBsq » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:16 pm

Hi, I've made a new version of the concurrency projet, I wasn't quite satisfied with the editing.

And it's in 1080p : "13BwtxYbDoFXpOlnyIYEKYLbjKyeU-FoM" (It's the name of the folder on Google Drive)

I could tell you the changes I've made if you insist, but there wouldn't be any suprise.

Feedback is appreciated!
Last edited by TBsq on Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ambiant23
Tunniel
Tunniel

Re: New version of Concurrency Project

•      
  •      

Postby Ambiant23 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:31 pm

Sorry I am out of the loop, what is the concurrency project

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:02 am

Concurrency is the belief that the EoE and TV endings both happen at the same time. Some proponents of this interpretation have made re-edits to interleave the two.
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:07 am

The idea is to edit together episodes 25, 25', 26 and 26' (i.e. the TV ending, eps 25 & 26 and the End of Evangelion film, eps 25' & 26', which cover the same time period), combining them into a single coherent sequence and removing duplication to end up with a film typically well over two hours long. This is to demonstrate that the two endings are different presentations of the same events and conclusion. The Japanese laserdisc release of the series had already presented eps 25, 25', 26 and 26' interleaved in that order. However, a few people dispute that the endings are the same (e.g. Mr Tines, above).

There have been several concurrency projects (I have copies of five previous ones, not counting the earlier version of the OP's - this makes six), of which the best known is one created some years ago based on a script by SailorStarDust of this forum. This edit is a recent one by the OP, and is the first made using the bluray video.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

TBsq
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TBsq » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:38 am

Ok, I really don't know why my link is always removed but not the others'. What can I do?

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:56 am

Because it's a link to copyright material, which is against the rules here. If you make a torrent, you could give a hint as to what Google search would find it (that happens in the older thread I linked above).
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

TBsq
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TBsq » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:07 am

In the other thread the links are still there, so I do'nt understand.

"13BwtxYbDoFXpOlnyIYEKYLbjKyeU-FoM" is the name of the folder on Google Drive, it's not a link so I'm gonna see what happens.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Dec 04, 2018 6:21 am

It's not a difference in policy; it's just that as there are few active mods, and the forum is quiet at present so they aren't very active either, well, sometimes they miss things.

Also, it's a tricky judgement in some ways, given that this forum is specifically dedicated to discussing a show the main version of which which has not been legally available in English translation for very many years...

Eclectic_Epileptic
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Eclectic_Epileptic » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:25 am

Eager for this. Will share my impressions after watch.

Edit:
My first Concurrency Project.
57:46 and 01:28:06 is pretty much the same thing, perhaps it could be merged into one scene?
Where is 1:40:16 segment from? Haven't seen that one yet.
If I'm not mistaken you ommited the happy life part which comes after 1:25:03? I think that's a good choice.
There was another edit in which one of Rei's introspective segments is cut in right before she rejects Gendo. Never saw it myself but it supposedly explains Rei's sudden change of attitude.

There are some minor timing issues with subs but otherwise well-done edit. All in all, I think it's quite tame and objective (which is not a bad thing).

(Personally, I would cut out all real-life footage and probably the beach ending too. I would also truncate segments in which Seele attacks Nerv HQ.)

TBsq
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby TBsq » Mon Dec 17, 2018 4:27 pm

57:46 and 01:28:06 is pretty much the same thing, perhaps it could be merged into one scene?

The scenes are not happening in the same context, so the redudancy works here.

Where is 1:40:16 segment from? Haven't seen that one yet.

It's from a scene that was cut from the movie, it's on youtube : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwBs3VsNfdY

If I'm not mistaken you ommited the happy life part which comes after 1:25:03? I think that's a good choice.

Yep, I'm not very fond of that scene

There was another edit in which one of Rei's introspective segments is cut in right before she rejects Gendo. Never saw it myself but it supposedly explains Rei's sudden change of attitude.

I don't know what scene you're talking about

Thanks for the feedback!

Rocko52
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Rocko52 » Sat Jan 30, 2021 2:22 pm

I really love the idea of this project. But I have to say, I doesn't really feel right to have the episode 26 Instrumentality pieces BEFORE the whole sequence of:
Shinji melting into Instrumentality, the Pyramid Sand Castle Phase, through till Komm Susser Tod where he strangles Asuka. There is when Shinji initiates the final stage of Third Impact, by wishing for everyone to "die", the process of Complementation begins. Especially because of how low he is there, how the Pre-Instrumentality visions from EoE are meant to confront and crush Shinji, while the Episode 26 (and 25 as well imo) scenes all seem to occur deep in Instrumentality, and is where Shinji undergoes his intense interrogation and reflection that results in him accepting his existence in reality. To me, that should place the triumphant Shinji breaking through the glass screens and "Congratulations" just around when he is talking to Rei and Kaworu in EoE, and results in Unit 01 breaking out of Lilith. That is the triumphant high of EoE (before the devastating glimpse of how very real pain will continue to be) where Shinji rejects instrumentality and opens the path for all who wish it to return to human form.

Of course that's just how I would have done it, and I very much enjoyed this edit. I have no editing skills, but I just felt like sharing. To me it feels very jarring to have the highs of Shinji's breakthroughs just prior to "Congratulations" immediately before his descent and initiation into Third Impact and Instrumentality. It doens't make emotional/thematic/psychological sense to me. And though I know it would be hard to fit in, I would love to see the "alternate reality" scene from Episode 26 fit in there somewhere. The live action scene(s) of EoE serve a different purpose, showing a world without individuals or hope in a sense; while the alternate reality school scene is meant to illustrate how Shinji's existence is not tied to piloting an Eva and that he could completely put himself in a different situation if he fully accepts his existence as valid.

The Dragon Mask
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby The Dragon Mask » Wed Mar 03, 2021 5:53 pm

View Original PostRocko52 wrote:I really love the idea of this project. But I have to say, I doesn't really feel right to have the episode 26 Instrumentality pieces BEFORE the whole sequence of:
Shinji melting into Instrumentality, the Pyramid Sand Castle Phase, through till Komm Susser Tod where he strangles Asuka. There is when Shinji initiates the final stage of Third Impact, by wishing for everyone to "die", the process of Complementation begins. Especially because of how low he is there, how the Pre-Instrumentality visions from EoE are meant to confront and crush Shinji, while the Episode 26 (and 25 as well imo) scenes all seem to occur deep in Instrumentality, and is where Shinji undergoes his intense interrogation and reflection that results in him accepting his existence in reality. To me, that should place the triumphant Shinji breaking through the glass screens and "Congratulations" just around when he is talking to Rei and Kaworu in EoE, and results in Unit 01 breaking out of Lilith. That is the triumphant high of EoE (before the devastating glimpse of how very real pain will continue to be) where Shinji rejects instrumentality and opens the path for all who wish it to return to human form.

Of course that's just how I would have done it, and I very much enjoyed this edit. I have no editing skills, but I just felt like sharing. To me it feels very jarring to have the highs of Shinji's breakthroughs just prior to "Congratulations" immediately before his descent and initiation into Third Impact and Instrumentality. It doens't make emotional/thematic/psychological sense to me. And though I know it would be hard to fit in, I would love to see the "alternate reality" scene from Episode 26 fit in there somewhere. The live action scene(s) of EoE serve a different purpose, showing a world without individuals or hope in a sense; while the alternate reality school scene is meant to illustrate how Shinji's existence is not tied to piloting an Eva and that he could completely put himself in a different situation if he fully accepts his existence as valid.

Interesting. I only just found out this super edit idea had been done independently from the version my brother and I made, and our version matches more closely to your idea. I'm gonna refrain from watching any other versions until I finish our edit, which I guess I'll get back to after GKIDS does their release.

Return to “Fan Works”