Star Wars Episode II - A New Thread

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Re: Star Wars Episode II - A New Thread

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sat Oct 20, 2018 9:44 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Everything Jim Henson. (That’s right, Disney OWNS The Muppets)

Wait does this mean Disney owns Farscape as well?
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:06 am

^ Oh great, another sci-fi series they can ruin by Disneyfying it.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:35 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Everything Jim Henson. (That’s right, Disney OWNS The Muppets)

That's true to a point as they also own Labyrinth (Which they talked about rebooting but nothing ever came of it) the things they don't own are The Dark Crystal as that has a netflix series coming out next year which is called Age Of Resistance and is a prequel to the movie and set many years before Jen and Kira were born. The other franchise they own are Fraggle rock and Sesame Street. http://muppet.wikia.com/wiki/Does_Disney_own_the_Muppets%3F I have no idea though with regard to Farscape and Dinosaurs regarding the rights.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:53 pm

the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Oct 27, 2018 6:19 pm

^ I'm not really that surprised, it was bound to happen after Solo.

But... wait, wait, wait, they're giving Rey another trilogy? Can't we focus on other characters who aren't jedi?
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:00 am

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:^ I'm not really that surprised, it was bound to happen after Solo.

But... wait, wait, wait, they're giving Rey another trilogy? Can't we focus on other characters who aren't jedi?

That's a fair point and is also an issue in the comics even in the 90's the Jedi focus is to much and the world is so vast, interesting and brutal with so many different alien races yet they only ever focus on humans, also if there gonna do a Rey trilogy they need to focus and fill in her character gaps as some of these really hurt the last few movies. This is just me but I believe she's from Qui-Gon Jinn's family tree hence why she's picks up so fast as his family line from what I've heard has that as a trait which is very high force awareness...but I would like this to be confirmed and for it to put an end to fan complaining on how she's that good so fast.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:08 am

E9 will apparently be a "course correction" for the franchise.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/s ... se-a164520

Mixed on that, I am down with them dropping the quirky "unexpected" & kill & smear the past aspects of Last Jedi but I also really don't want a rehash of Return of the Jedi. At the bare minimum...
- No forest setting.
- No fury alien allies.
- No Death Star/Starkiller base (for the love of god).

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Boba Fett movie confirmed dead.

https://www.flickeringmyth.com/2018/10/ ... -100-dead/

Fairly pissed especially after that strong rumor of the 3:10 to Yuma director being attached.

My only hope now is that The Mandalorian show reveals Fett escaped the Sarlacc, retired & trained the new guy.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:15 am

View Original Postmovieartman wrote:E9 will apparently be a "course correction" for the franchise.
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/s ... se-a164520

Mixed on that, I am down with them dropping the quirky "unexpected" & kill & smear the past aspects of Last Jedi but I also really don't want a rehash of Return of the Jedi. At the bare minimum...
- No forest setting.
- No fury alien allies.
- No Death Star/Starkiller base (for the love of god).

Maybe that's what Hollywood/Disney needs an epic fail failure on a epic franchise because it would basically get through there thick skulls that rehashing and depending up on old boring tropes with out any real creative outreach is no longer gonna sell any more and its doomed to failure and that they need to throw out old directors and bring in whole new creatives from outside. Since this issue is there own making in the first place from what I've heard as they weren't interested in dynamic stories or fully fleshed out characters so all those writers and directors and actors ether went in to TV or Netflix and they should start trying to get them back if they want to stop this bleeding wound getting bigger.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:06 am

While Disney certainly has a mess on their hands, I don’t think this will be a huge financial loss for Disney. I dunno when they planned on making back their $4 billion spent on the franchise, but both tickets and merchandise would have certainly made that back by now.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:41 pm

Disney made an announcement a few weeks ago they've made enough off Star Wars that they've paid off buying it from Lucas.

As for Episode 9 being a "course correction" it probably means they'll leave more heavily into full-on fan pandering. They tried to make a Star Wars movie be about something and while the film was a commercial hit Pepe's and fascists threw a hissy fit so grand it became the main story. So when they get to the next "Main Canon" trilogy in the mid 2020s they'll more heavily bait fans with nostalgia & make them even emptier blockbuster affairs. The big lesson they should have learned from their bomb Solo - and hopefully everyone involved with any future Indiana Jones films after the next one should learn from too - is you don't rest an entire film on casting someone to play a young Harrison Ford. It doesn't matter who you cast cause you've already shot yourself in the dick. There's only one Harrison Ford.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:13 pm

I would hazard a guess that Disney making back purchasing costs is why they’re comfortable with slowing their Lucasfilm releases. They would have reacted WAY differently to Solo’s bomb if they didn’t make back that $4 billion yet. (Probably switching to a Marvel-style 2 films a year release schedule and even more focus groups.)

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:40 pm

Star Wars is about something because it didn’t try to be about something. The prequels and sequels get ham handed with it and suffer as a result.

That’s a good way to describe Last Jedi, though. It tried to be about something.

Do, or do not. There is no try.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:51 pm

Disney Streaming is officially called Disney+ now.
Oh, and the Star Wars prequel Rogue One is now getting a prequel of its own with Diego Luna returning to star. Rogue Zero or something I guess. So that’s two big budget live action Star Wars series Disney is planning to release in 2019/2020 already. More to come I’m sure.

Star Wars ain’t slowing down after Episode 9. They’re just changing up how people are gonna pay to see it. My guess is they’ll do two to three series a year for Disney+ & some of the series will closely tie into the main storyline - wouldn’t be surprised if they snag in Mark Hamill for a Luke as a Jedi badass between film trilogies mini-series - while others could maybe be more obscure and standalone. Then come back with new theatrical releases in December 2022 in between the releases of the new James Cameron AVATAR sequels.

https://deadline.com/2018/11/rogue-one-prequel-streaming-series-diego-luna-star-wars-disney-plus-1202498593/

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:04 pm

Rogue Zero is too good a title to be wasted on some schlock.
the prophecy is true

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:13 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Disney Streaming is officially called Disney+ now.
Oh, and the Star Wars prequel Rogue One is now getting a prequel of its own with Diego Luna returning to star. Rogue Zero or something I guess. So that’s two big budget live action Star Wars series Disney is planning to release in 2019/2020 already. More to come I’m sure.

Star Wars ain’t slowing down after Episode 9. They’re just changing up how people are gonna pay to see it. My guess is they’ll do two to three series a year for Disney+ & some of the series will closely tie into the main storyline - wouldn’t be surprised if they snag in Mark Hamill for a Luke as a Jedi badass between film trilogies mini-series - while others could maybe be more obscure and standalone. Then come back with new theatrical releases in December 2022 in between the releases of the new James Cameron AVATAR sequels.

https://deadline.com/2018/11/rogue-one-prequel-streaming-series-diego-luna-star-wars-disney-plus-1202498593/

Jesus Sith Christ... why are they making a prequel of a prequel? And I'm guessing Disney+ is supposed to mean "Disney + your money"

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Wed Dec 12, 2018 5:21 pm

Cast for the Mandalorian show Is great.
Pedro Pascal (narcos) is confirmed as the lead.
Gina Carano (Deadpool)
Giancarlo Esposito (Breaking Bad)
Emily Swallow (Supernatural)
Carl Weathers (Predator)
Omid Abtahi (American Gods)
Werner Herzog (Grizzly Man)
Nick Nolte (Affliction)

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:45 pm

Giancarlo Esposito, Carl Weathers, and Werner Herzog.

Wow. That is impressive.
the prophecy is true

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:21 pm

https://youtu.be/Fd3raJ4hloc

Teaser trailer for IX.

My reaction to this is best summed up as: You gotta be fucking kidding.
the prophecy is true

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:16 pm

Happy there doesn't appear to be any Endor, Ewok, Jabba or Death Star equivalents suggesting this won't remake Return of the Jedi too much. (the desert setting and sail barges is a little worrying tho)
Locations & music are beautiful.
Palpatine returning is welcome as long as he isn't as hammy and over the top as he was in Revenge of the Sith post face deforming.
Him surviving through defective cloning like in the Dark Empire comics would be a acceptable explanation.

Unhappy with the title, I hope it refers to Palpatine brought about the rise of the Skywalker family and not alluding to the notion that Rey is a Skywalker. Luke abandoning his kid on a wasteland planet would drag him through the mud more then Last Jedi already did and the last thing we need. And from his amused dismissal of Rey being from Jakku, it seems extremely unlikely he did so as I imagine he would have instantly assumed she was his kid he left there considering her force powers.
Nitpick: Wish Rey had built her own Lightsaber and that it was a green one.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:48 pm

The fan pandering is strong.

J.J. Abrams gotta J.J. Abrams.

Return to “Film and Video”