You Can Start Again

Everything Evangelion Fanfiction related.

Moderators: Derantor, Board Staff

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Re: You Can Start Again

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:06 pm

View Original Postroyabr121 wrote:If Misato did indeed confirm it was Shinji and not an Ikari-Type on the Wunder's bridge, why did they put the DSS system on him to begin with?

Ritsuko told him in 3.33 that it was as an insurance policy as well as a punishment. Keep in mind as well that when on the Wunder's bridge, Misato asks Ritz if it was really Shinji, she replies that it "seems that way." In a latter scene, they said that they are identifying him as Shinji "on a provisional basis." At the time, I found it curious that if their scans showed that it was really Shinji, why were they hedging their bets. It was these things along with some other scenes on the Wunder which led to the idea of the Ikari types.

Also, why did she insist on trying to have him fitted with it once he was in the city, when they should have confirmed by then that it was really him? It is very clear that she knows it is in fact Shinji, and still expresses concern for his well being - so why?

It was due to a combination of fear that he could still be a clone, an understanding of his nature both physical and mental, and some of her own issues in dealing with Shinji. I addressed these concerns both in Chapters 7 & 16, but perhaps I didn't do it clearly enough.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:44 am

And here is Chapter 21. I have to admit that I feel a little uncomfortable with this one, particularly the ending. I keep having the idea in my head that it's not up to snuff compared to previous chapters. It makes me wonder if there are any other fanfic authors who feel the same way.
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

royabr121
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby royabr121 » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:28 am

It was a good chapter. I liked it.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:38 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote: I keep having the idea in my head that it's not up to snuff compared to previous chapters. It makes me wonder if there are any other fanfic authors who feel the same way.

Each and every piece of work I do. Doesn't matter what it is I write, if it's a continuation of a story, if it's a one shot or even one of the smut pieces I've wrote, I never feel my work is up to par, hell I never feel my work is any good at all. I have that brief moment of being proud but then immediately go to "Well this is awful" :tongue:

As it is, you did a great job with the latest chapter. I left a big review over on FFN but there is a reason this is one of my fav fics at the moment and continues to be. You do a great job.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:15 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote: I keep having the idea in my head that it's not up to snuff compared to previous chapters. It makes me wonder if there are any other fanfic authors who feel the same way.

Yeah I get that a lot and there are chapters I write which I sometimes hate but the readers love them, or I have concepts but think there not that great and tend to run them by other Eva writers just to check that the idea is okay. ^_^
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Fri Apr 26, 2019 11:25 pm

Here is Chapter 22 for your enjoyment. I had some difficulty writing this one, but I think it turned out okay. The next chapter I've wanted to tell for a good while, but it might be some time before I it's completed. So what will come first, the next chapter coming out or NGE premiering on Netflix? We'll just have to see.

royabr121
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby royabr121 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:17 am

So here's a question:

Since Shinji is a Human-Angel hybrid and was basically created almost completely from his mother's DNA, meaning his was basically a Virgin Birth, does that make Shinji Angel-Jesus?

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Tue Jul 23, 2019 11:40 pm

^I wouldn't know, but there have been characters, such as SEELE in the manga, who did see him in those terms.

As for when Chapter 23 is coming out, How about now? It took a while to get the battle right, among other things, so I hope all of you enjoy it.

royabr121
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby royabr121 » Wed Jul 24, 2019 2:54 am

That was a wonderful chapter, the only criticism I have for it that it ends with before the battle is concluded (teasing us, really?). When will we get another?

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:07 pm

Here is Chapter 24 for your enjoyment. It took me a while to get the battle scenes the way I like it, and I'm not sure if I got it right. I hope this chapter is acceptable to all of you.

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Mon Sep 09, 2019 9:51 pm

That was a good chapter, it didn't get confusing considering written battle scenes can turn to a culestercuss quickly but you managed to avoid that and keep things easy to follow. Still these endings remind of of the early Jojo episodes (a good thing), that "to be continued" leaving you wanting for more. Plus that ending scene with Shinji slowly floating down like an angel, and given what he is, was a nice touch. :asuka_thumbsup:

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sun Oct 27, 2019 8:10 pm

Here is Chapter 25 for your reading pleasure. This is a bit of a milestone for me as this fic is now past the 100,000 word mark. I've never written anything that long before. I hope that the chapter meets all of your expectations.

royabr121
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby royabr121 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:29 am

I liked the chapter. Can't wait for the next one.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:05 am

Finally, I present to you Chapter 26. Took longer than I thoguht. I hope you all enjoy it.

royabr121
Temp-Banned

•      
  •      

Postby royabr121 » Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:21 am

"Even the exploits of both Units 02 and 08 during these years don't even come close to what Ikari was doing."

"...he is fit to pilot Evangelion Unit 10, and if he so chooses, he can be commissioned as pilot with the rank of Major."

So, Shinji woke up after 14 years, proceeded to have a fight with Asuka - a veteran pilot - in an entirely new and unfamiliar EVA which was designed to be operated by two pilots all by himself, all the while trying avoid hurting her, defeated her while she overextended herself with no weapons, fought and won against waves upon waves of mass produced Mark 04D in another completely unfamiliar EVA, did so while breaking every performance record and has now been commissioned as a Major while she is still a Captain? Are you trying to make Asuka kill herself?

On different matter: I loved the chapter.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:22 pm

Chapter 27 is now released for everyone's enjoyment, or at least, I hope people are enjoying it. Please leave comments. Thank you.

jcmoorehead
Leliel
Leliel

•      
  •      

Postby jcmoorehead » Sun Feb 23, 2020 8:48 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:Chapter 27 is now released for everyone's enjoyment, or at least, I hope people are enjoying it. Please leave comments. Thank you.

I definitely need to catch up, been super lax on my fic reading recently (Writing as well tbh, haven't wrote anything in a long time) Will try to catch up/review today/tomorrow :)

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Sun May 17, 2020 11:53 pm

Here is Chapter 28. I have a bad feeling that this is the one where I have failed all of you in this fic, but it is the best I can do. Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:37 pm

Here is Chapter 29. I have to admit that this chapter exhausted me trying to get all the minor details the way I wanted to. With the completion of this chapter, I do have a couple of pieces of news regarding this fic. The first is that I am within 5-6 chapters of completing the whole damn thing. The second is that I this work is not going to be a priority for several reasons. This means I won't have as much time to work on it as much as I usually do. I'm not abandoning it. I hope all of you enjoy it.

SPOILER: Show
One note about the song Mari sings. Yes, it's from this scene from Gunbuster. I like to believe that Anno will have a scene like this in the final movie.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:24 am

Chapter 30 is now released. I know that I will not complete the story before Thrice Upon A Time is released, and I'm not 100% sure they'll be an audience for it after that film is out. I've had conversations with some people on the subject and they assured me that people will still want to read it, so I'm not too pessimistic. I also have to take into consideration that my relationship with the Eva franchise has changed since I first started this tale, and while that relationship has changed for the better, I feel at the same time that this story, and fanfiction in general, is a lesser part of it. In any event, I will try to complete another chapter before the movie comes out, or if not, by the weekend of release. After that, we'll have to see.

Return to “Fanfiction”