[NEWS] Neon Genesis Evangelion coming to Netflix Spring 2019

For talking about all other entries in the Evangelion franchise: from the various manga and video games to merchandising and various video/audio releases.

Moderator: Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion and abide by them.
FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: [NEWS] Neon Genesis Evangelion coming to Netflix Spring 2019

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Dec 06, 2018 4:36 pm

Well, this petition is making the rounds on Twitter. Spike Spencer and the usual suspects are retweeting the link.

Like, seriously. What?

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:14 pm

Seems odd to @ both the NGE and Rebuild Rei Ayanami voice actresses but internets gotta internet.

Clover
Leliel
Leliel

Postby Clover » Thu Dec 06, 2018 7:50 pm

I hope Netflix replaces everyone and gives no response to this cringeshow.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Postby Chuckman » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:02 pm

I'd be overjoyed if they bring in the Rebuild VA to do Rei. She's great.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:03 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Seems odd to @ both the NGE and Rebuild Rei Ayanami voice actresses but internets gotta internet.

Wow! I didn’t even notice that! That’s hilarious! :lol:

penguintruth
Lilith

Postby penguintruth » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:05 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:I'd be overjoyed if they bring in the Rebuild VA to do Rei. She's great.

Any woman who can do a soft, distant voice can be a great Rei. She may be a vital character, but vocally, not exactly a meaty role.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:25 pm

Nerd journalists are starting to use the tweets of the English dub cast members as a source for their new click-bait articles. (I've never heard of "Twinfinite" before in my life.)

penguintruth
Lilith

Postby penguintruth » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:10 pm

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:Nerd journalists are starting to use the tweets of the English dub cast members as a source for their new click-bait articles. (I've never heard of "Twinfinite" before in my life.)

That article wrote:When it hit its high points though, Evangelion had a dub on par with Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, or any of the other seminal English dubs.

I don't know whether to laugh or rage.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:18 pm

"EVERY MISSILE HIT THE TARGET!" is a line performed by one of those adolescent monsters from Monsters Inc. that shred defective doors.

Also, Amanda started posting on her official FB page that "They're" planning on replacing everyone. (I can't embed FB posts on this forum, can I?) I've no idea who specifically consists of "They're," but whatever.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Postby pwhodges » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:28 pm

Perhaps they're not "replacing" anyone, but rather they're just "choosing the best from all the possibilities now available". As I said earlier, it would be sad if the industry didn't have new people who could match or surpass what was done by the pioneers twenty years ago. I would be disappointed - and surprised - if the opportunity to make a new dub got watered down into remaking the old one.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:40 pm

We live in a world where people are hyped as shit for a remake of The Lion King. (Though, in all fairness, at least TLK changes up most of it's voice cast.) But, more than that, I'm sick of this ambiguous "They're" nonsense. If this re-dub is a real thing, it'd be nice to know who, how, and when, ya know?

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

Postby cyharding » Fri Dec 07, 2018 11:31 pm

View Original Postpenguintruth wrote:I don't know whether to laugh or rage.

Is there such a thing as rage laugh?
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:36 am

View Original Postcyharding wrote:Is there such a thing as rage laugh?

I think Toy Story 3 did something close to that with this, angry clapping.
SPOILER: Show
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

Postby Joseki » Sat Dec 08, 2018 9:58 am

Netflix is equally guilty for this annoying situation imo. They should have informed us of their plans with the dub when they announced the deal.

I think they underestimated how invested people are in Eva (or just petty in some cases).

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:38 am

^Frankly I don't think it would have made much if any difference. The people who are mad would still be mad and AWL would still probably be whipping up twitter drama because she feels like Eva is her baby. The series has long passed the fandom nostalgia threshold where any alterations or new takes will be received as a mortal offense by a vocal part of the fandom. It's like the people who lash out at Rebuild just because it has the gall to be different from NGE. But then I also feel like the original tv series would benefit greatly if it lost its sacred cow status.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

Guy Nacks
Evangelion
Evangelion

Postby Guy Nacks » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:15 pm

View Original PostClover wrote:I hope Netflix replaces everyone and gives no response to this cringeshow.

This.

While I can understand that the original voice cast feels like they and they alone have the definitive performances in those roles...they also (for the most part) are the ONLY performers for those roles. The sense of entitlement is kind of off-putting. Give other talented VAs a shot at it and at the very least go through an audition process.

I also can't imagine a redub being anything less than an improvement. Like the 2001 Akira redub, it effectively improved on what was a product of the dubbing standards of the late 80s/early 90s. The original NGE dub is just about old enough to buy itself booze. Give us something fresh and new.
Among the people who use the Internet, many are obtuse. Because they are locked in their rooms, they hang on to that vision which is spreading across the world. But this does not go beyond mere ‘data’. Data without analysis [thinking], which makes you think that you know everything. This complacency is nothing but a trap. Moreover, the sense of values that counters this notion is paralyzed by it.

And so we arrive at demagogy. - Hideaki Anno, 1996

DevRei17
Zeruel
Zeruel

Postby DevRei17 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:50 pm

I'm trying to remember four years ago - Did the Sailor Moon redub get this much flack? (Sailor Moon's arguably bigger in the West than Eva too.)
Also known as Cowboy Dev.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Dec 08, 2018 12:58 pm

^ No, the dub was welcomed because they were unsensoring and fixing all the mistakes the 90s dub made (like turning lesbians into cousins, and one half of a gay couple into a woman), and actually planning on dubbing the fifth season.

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:While I can understand that the original voice cast feels like they and they alone have the definitive performances in those roles...they also (for the most part) are the ONLY performers for those roles. The sense of entitlement is kind of off-putting. Give other talented VAs a shot at it and at the very least go through an audition process.

I also can't imagine a redub being anything less than an improvement. Like the 2001 Akira redub, it effectively improved on what was a product of the dubbing standards of the late 80s/early 90s. The original NGE dub is just about old enough to buy itself booze. Give us something fresh and new.

Well, even though they see themselves as the "only ones" for the role, they may be looking at the DBZ/DBS dubs where the same actors have performed in the dubs for a very long time and have become synonymous with the characters the portray. However in that case, Funimation got the rights fro DBS and put Chris Sabat as the ADR Director, so he would obviously choose the same people he's worked with before. The EVA VAs don' have that luxury.

Though I do agree that a new dub with new VA would be preferred, maybe they can do a better job than the original cast did, but we won't know unless it actually happens. And given that Netflix doesn't really care what we think, they're most likely definitely going to do what they want, regardless of the current and former VA's online protestations, or any petition.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:21 pm

But even in Dragon Ball's case, a lot of those iconic voices aren't the original take or have been recast. Funimation took over for Ocean Group in the middle of the Namek arc during the show's original run on Toonami. Sean Schemmel is at least the third English voice actor for Goku, replacing Peter Kelamis who replaced Ian James Corlett, and Sabat replaced Scott McNeil as Piccolo and Brian Drummond as Vegeta.

Chris Ayers is now considered the definitive English voice for Frieza and he didn't come on to the series until 2011's Kai dub, replacing Linda Young. Bulma's current VA is also a fairly recent recast.

That's why people shouldn't be so quick to shit on redubs. You don't know what you could be missing out on. If you get a chance, check out some clips of Ayers as Frieza and compare them to Young's. The difference is night and day.

When he was first cast as Gendo, I didn't care for Swasey's Gendo. His voice is so different from MacAvery's. But now that I'm used to it I think his overall performance is much better, even if his voice isn't as cool.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:19 pm

^ Well, in fairness I think of the DBZA folks voices first before anyone else's, but wasn't the Ocean dub the one where they called Korrin "whiskers the wonder cat"? Freida is much better now than before, he sounds more sinister without being so... odd sounding? It's hard to explain, but how Ayers delivers the lines is far better.

But yeah, I hope Netflix recast everyone at this point because I'd like to see what happens. Good or bad, I'm watching it on Netflix regardless. Maybe some of the VAs Netflix ends up with love the original dub but now where improvement is needed and pull it off.

Return to “Everything Else Evangelion”