Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Cowboy Bebop

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Dec 01, 2018 5:44 pm

Watanabe said that earlier this year during a Q&A panel at the Animazement convention in Raleigh, NC. I’m not sure if/how they archive that stuff.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:43 pm

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Justacrazyguy
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby Justacrazyguy » Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:52 pm

The more I hear about this show the more I feel like it's either going to be entertainingly awful, in a, watch youtube videos ripping it apart after it comes out way.. or it's going to be super mediocre.

But being the soulless mass of sentient money that Netflix is, they're going to keep making these embarrassing nostalgia dripped pieces of over fried potatoes until one of them is good, or good enough for people to ignore its flaws. The next few years should be fun.
Nearly all teenage boys are dumbfucks-Xard

É altura de se tornarem pessoas interessantes.- My Classic Culture Teacher

MYANIMELIST-http://myanimelist.net/profile/Justacrazyguy

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:39 pm

View Original PostMr. Tines wrote:I'll just leave this here... https://splashreport.com/cowboy-bebop-story-details/

Well, I'm interested to see where the series goes... should be at the very least interesting.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:24 pm

OMG!!! loving this...the live action intro....with "Tank" intact!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yq2N-9EmedA
who doesn't want to kick back with Misato and have a few beers?

BernardoCairo
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby BernardoCairo » Thu Oct 07, 2021 2:37 pm

I'm currently rewatching Cowboy Bebop. It's impressively good. It's the only anime I know in which each episode is better than the last. It gets better and better as the story progresses and the characters are unveiled. There are no low points here. From episode 8 onwards (and even before that) it's pure gold. Episodes 10 and 11 are so different, but just as good. I don't think I ever laugh so much with anime as in episode 11 and that damn fridge! :lol:
Also, the show looks and feels stylish. I'm not just talking about the visuals. I love how its tone can go from serious to upbeat in the blink of an eye, without feeling forced. Faye, in particular, is great at boosting the mood. Megumi Hayashibara's greatest work, in my opinion.
Just sit here and waste your precious time. When you want to do something, don't do it right away. Don't do it when you can. Read my posts instead. It's the only way to live a life without regrets.

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:47 am

View Original PostBernardoCairo wrote:I'm currently rewatching Cowboy Bebop. It's impressively good......

You are preaching to the choir BC, if I had to nitpick anything at all it's that Ed is maybe a little too goofy sometimes.....but everything right up to the ending 2 parter is sublime in this show IMHO. Have high hopes for the live action...that shot of the "Swordfish" taking off gave me chills truly!

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:09 am

more Bebop trailer goodness!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULCIHP5dc44

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Oct 27, 2021 11:01 am

View Original PostEvaChero wrote:more Bebop trailer goodness!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULCIHP5dc44

I got this real gut feeling that this is only S1 and Edward will show up in the end final. As Netflix don't tend to go beyond 3 seasons any more, It's only in rare cases like stranger things and sex education only animated series get lots. Pokémon the live action though may end up as a longer running through if its S1 is successful as it has many leagues.

SPOILER: Show
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:28 am

yes i've heard rumblings that Ed would be added later. I'm hoping they will make me like the character more. Typical 10 ep run from what I understand.

Meanwhile another trailer....gah can you tell I'm super hyped?...I'm loving the snippets of the actors in character...I think they've hit a home run but only time will tell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JDWm1f6-M0

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Mon Nov 22, 2021 9:55 am

Just some thoughts about episode 1, oh..and I don't know if I like the fact that they released all the episodes at once....I mean you can power watch 10 eps pretty easily and forget the whole thing by next week. ....I intend to watch 1 a night starting with ep 2 tonight.

Cast..... Spike - John Cho is pretty good, maybe a little too serious for Spike as yet...not enough " I don't give a $hit" for my taste.
Jet Black - Mustafa Shakir......OMG...perfection, the voice, the speech patterns, the look ...incredible.
Faye Valentine ----- Daniella Pineda --- steals the show...literally... Faye Faye on maximum burn...love her!
Vicious -------- Alex Hassell.....ok this is where things fall short IMHO....the screen shots are good but he just doesn't look the part
He tries for the compelling raspy voice and it sounds like he's..well acting. I hope I'm wrong ...I hope he improves
but I found him exceedingly underwhelming and dorky....no real gravity when he's on screen..( i hate to sound negative)
Julia ----- Elena Satine.....whether she is good or not remains to be seen..just really surprised to be seeing her at all this early...I mean ep 1?

The rest of the cast do a decent to excellent job.....

Ep 1 story....a combination of several elements but generally follows one of the plots of the early episodes (not going to ruin it for anyone) solid.

Music.....Kanno is all over it...sweet perfection.

Effects...... Mixed bag.... the straight CGI looks terrific...brings all the elements of the anime to life, beautiful to look at over all.
However...some of the practical effects look pretty cheesy IE in space in the cockpits , it looks like the original Battlestar Galactica
I don't mind the use of the vintage cars however, it fits fine for me and I understand the budget constraints of building a bunch of
futuristic jalopy's

overall I must say I'm looking forward to ep 2.

Zusuchan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Zusuchan » Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:23 am

Seeing as this is the dedicated Cowboy Bebop thread, I'll put my thoughts on the live-action show (or its first episode, which is the only one I've watched) here.

I guess you could argue that judging a series' worth after having only seen its first episode is a bit...hasty and wrong, but I honestly have no interest in watching further. A remake of Cowboy Bebop for western audiences always sounded like a bad idea, but the episode was interesting because it managed to both exceed my expectations and still be worse than what I expected.

I think the main trio are pretty good and inhabit their characters well-John Cho is probably the weakest, but a lot better than he should be and certainly good. The shot composition was surprisingly enough pretty good most of the time-quite a few times, it felt like anime translated directly into live-action (though not necessarily always for the best). And Yoko Kanno's music was great, as always.

It's a shame then that the episode looked so incredibly fake and plastic, Vicious is horrible, there's a distinct lack of charm or originality or intriguingness, the dialogue is awful and it feels like the showrunners kind of missed Bebop's themes and focused more on its aesthetics.

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Wed Nov 24, 2021 11:27 am

Hey Zusuchan!...Yeah I agree some of the dialog in ep 1 was a bit "stiff"
I'm up to Ep4 now and it's steadily improving. Still don't care much for Vicious but he's something I can live with.
Ein is finally in the mix!...

I'm not sure why Jet Black needs a daughter and ex wife....more character development?? I can see the whole "Julia" storyline is heading off into unknown territory. I'm still a happy camper tho.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:35 pm

View Original PostEvaChero wrote:
I'm not sure why Jet Black needs a daughter and ex wife....more character development?? I can see the whole "Julia" storyline is heading off into unknown territory. I'm still a happy camper tho.

I think

This was done to make him more an every-man but for me, it doesn't fit as the point of the series was they're all a broken messed up family with sour pasts, but they become a blended family like the characters in the film Were The Millers which does a similar thing in that there not a family they just wind up as one due to circumstances.

As I always felt that the anime ending was meant to hit on that Spike will never return but Fay and Jet and Ed will carry on growing as people as he was a step in their journey towards a better future
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:04 pm

I've just finished the series. Although I can understand why people take issue with the series, I still think it was worth watching. It would not work if it was an exact live-action copy of the anime, since you have to take into consideration the budget (most of the episodes don't take place in space), as well as the more compact stand-alone storyline that the original had. The changes they do make actually make sense since it brings out a new visual aesthetic and dynamic with the characters that are actually quite refreshing to view and expected from what a Netflix adaption would be like. This is one of the more successful adaptions from Netflix IMO, as it fits with what a 'Netflix show is like, with only trivial issues with the tone and plot. I fully anticipated something really stupid to happen in the storyline and of course, it sucks but I think they managed to pull off the main characters quite well, and remained faithful to the general themes.

I think the fact you can transition between the anime and live-action series, allows you to discover some new things when reviewing the two together as well as renewing more interest for many people who were born later (as it has done with neon genesis Evangelion). To be honest, I pretty much forgot most of the episodes from the anime and was surprised when I remembered them again when watching it.
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:24 pm

would like to add that by the last 2 episodes......

Vicious is finally.....well "Vicious" and not some goofy patsy.....

the more I watched the more I enjoyed...

although the tease at the very end with Edward.....looked maybe too much like the anime Edward...hopefully not too goofy if and when they do a new season..I certainly hope they do!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Thu Dec 09, 2021 6:32 pm

Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

dzzthink
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby dzzthink » Thu Dec 09, 2021 7:50 pm

WHAT!? Hearing about this now is such a letdown because I was starting to get reinvested in Bebop again. The fact that some people won't even give this series a chance just because it's a Netflix adaptation really destroyed its reputation and brought a lot of negative attitudes to rather minor aspects of this show. I truly believe this show had the potential to really grow and bring in new ideas, and I was greatly impressed with the overall production, which didn't get the credit that it deserves. The show probably cost hundreds of millions of dollars just to replicate the design and feel of the futuristic jazz setting of the series, so Netflix really needed to recuperate its budget spend but everyone just nitpicked it to death and drove the viewership down. Now it's doomed into the cliffhanger state that occurred with so many other Netflix shows and we won't get to see any of the character development or story progression that could have continued from the finale.

Honestly, who cares that the characters or story don't match the anime show exactly. One of the elements of the anime is that all the characters are closed off from each other off and each episode was a thematic exploration into their personal issues. This new show presented a more upbeat and dynamic portrayal of these themes, that was a lot less gloomy and stand-alone compared with the anime (I personally thought this was an issue of the anime). It's like the opposite side of the same coin and presents a version of the anime that is fresh and wacky, but these new qualities were overshadowed by anime purists and Netflix adaptation detractors.
"Everything is permissible, but not everything is beneficial. Everything is permissible but not everything is constructive." - 1 Corinthians 10:23

EvaChero
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby EvaChero » Fri Dec 10, 2021 4:08 pm

yeah,....I'm really bummed by this announcement...i was really enjoying it and it appeared an honest effort.... :sniffle:

ShinKikoho96
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby ShinKikoho96 » Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:38 pm

Not interested in live action adaptations of anime, Japanese, American or otherwise, so let's talk about the original, specifically its dub.

The English dub of Cowboy Bebop is the most overrated English anime dub of all time and this is coming from an English dub defender who is very severe against dub haters. Don't get it twisted. It's better than most dubs from its time. Don't get it twisted. No dub of Dragon Ball prior to Kai should even be mentioned in the same breath as the English dub of Cowboy Bebop. Cowboy Bebop DOES in fact have the best dub from the 90s. However, it is NOT better than 22 years of dub progression. It is NOT better than MUCH of Animaze's collection. Quite frankly, both Big O seasons outclass it dubbing wise let alone Stand Alone Complex which might be the best dub of the 2000s. It's also NOT better than the Japanese version. I'm sick of hearing the Japanese cast for Bebop being disrespected for this one anime. If ANY other show had Unsho Ishizuka, Koichi Yamadera, Megumi Hayashibara as leads, the dub version would not even be given a chance no matter how genuinely good it was. The English voice cast is a legendary cast, but they've done better in other shows.

The dub is good, maybe even great, but it's not "the only good English anime dub" nor is it "the best English anime dub". Even some genuine dub fans make that mistake. Quite frankly, the dub for Cowboy Bebop was surpassed by Big O, Hellsing and Stand Alone Complex. Dubs like Promare, Fate/Zero and Tiger and Bunny utterly outclass it.

Return to “Anime and Manga”