If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

Re: If Mari and Asuka are/were Gay. . .

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:57 am

View Original PostJoseki wrote:A lot of the Asuka/Shinji dynamics weren't in NGE either. Then Death & Rebirth happened.

I've never seen Death and Rebirth, believe it or not. Never felt much need to watch it since I got into the series long after End of Eva was out. I know the DCs added some extra scenes to make things more overt on Asuka's end.

But even in the vanilla version of the show there's a lot of development in their relationship, particularly throughout the action arc, where we see them finding an equilibrium, growing closer as comrades and saving each others' asses on the field. I think it's believable and understandable that some deeper feelings could develop out of their shared circumstances and hardships.

And that's what Shinji and Shiki are missing for me. They only live together for a short time in the movies and only go into battle together twice. Once as allies and once as enemies. Shiki is more open about having a crush on Shinji in 2.0 and starts to make a move on it but it doesn't go anywhere since she friendzones herself for Rei. It's cute to see Asuka being more open with her feelings but I find that's largely because I'm aware of the trash fire their lives became in the original. Taken on its own I don't think there's much substance behind their relationship in the movies.

That's fine with me because that particular relationship simply isn't the focus this time around, and that seems to be a deliberate choice since him failing to have her back becomes a big issue in 3.0. They made the absence a plot point. With the direction the series took, I think Asuka has graduated into Misato's old role as opposed to the one her counterpart had and Shinji's relationships are more focused around Rei, Kaworu, Misato and Gendo.

The amusing and kind of sad thing is that Shiki would probably thrive if you dropped her into NGE in Soryu's place. She doesn't have nearly as many issues and considering what she asks of her own Shinji, I think she'd have little trouble hooking up with NGE's Shinji. But it's far less interesting that way because it's more of a simple boy-meets-girl story instead of the complicated minefield they normally have.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:21 am

^ So, I think there's more to the whole "and then Death & Rebirth happened" angle than simply what that film contains. Death & Rebirth originally came with it a lot of extended scenes that would later find themselves in the "Director's Cut" version of episodes 21- 24 of the show itself. After the new scenes were place in extended version of Episodes 21-24, Anno removed those extended scenes from Death & Rebirth itself, since they would have already been seen by the audience by that point anyway. (Which is weird, since the whole "Death" part of the film is made upon mostly scenes that we had already seen before in the show anyway, hence it being a "recap" film.)

However, the argument that a lot of Asuka/Shinji dynamics weren't in NGE until the extended scenes hit is kind of a weird argument to make in the first place anyway. The argument would suggest that there's a lot of dynamics between Asuka and Shinji in either versions of Episodes 21-24, which simply isn't as true as people would like to think. Episode 21 is all a flashback episode that doesn't really involve Asuka at all, and the extended scenes that D&R introduced don't make it more about Asuka either. And in all of Episodes 22-24, Asuka interacts very little with Shinji in the original versions (there's one conversation Shinji tries to have with Asuka after a phone conversation she had with her step-mom or whoever, but that's it), and the new extended scenes don't increase those interactions in the slightest. The only thing the extended scenes really give us when it comes to her relationship with Shinji is an inner monologue of Asuka's when she sees Shinji with Rei in the beginning of Episode 22', and another rant to herself about not wanting to bathe in the same water as "Misato and Stupid Shinji." The only scenes that were in D&R that didn't make it back into the NGE episodes themselves were the scenes where characters that looked like Shinji, Asuka, Rei, and Kaworu practiced for a string quartet recital. These scenes only served as a framing device for the rest of the movie as a whole, and, again, these characters were only doppelgangers anyway, and not the actual characters themselves. Anything between these characters was only meant to reflect the interactions of the main cast, but they weren't the actions of the main cast members themselves.

On top of all that, most of Asuka/Shinji's dynamics are actually already in the first half of the show, which was never effected by the changes made by the release of D&R, so I never understood the premise of this argument to begin with.

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Wed Nov 28, 2018 6:51 am

My point was simply that Anno in 2.0 and 3.0 left things ambigous and set up infinite possibilities for developments in the final movie (the "journey" that begun at the end of 3.0 can, almost literally, go anywhere), so a Death & Rebirth treatment is very much a possibility. New flashbacks from moments happening in the past that weren't seen in 2.0, flashbacks from the timeskip period and so on.

I just can't see Anno making 3.0+1.0 a simple continuation of the movies he made 13-8 years before. He's not that kind of director.
We're gonna get Rebuild Director's Cut I believe.
Last edited by Joseki on Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:55 am

I don't think that FINAL 'll reuse the ideas that the first 3 films already had like turning it into a 2nd D&R and EoE, when 3.0 already did that, for FINAL being supposed to be released with 3.0, 3.0 covering up 23&24 and EoE and considerring that EoE was supposed to be shown in D&R for which parallel to 21'-24' for NGE, Revival came after EoE.

The Idea to release two films at once are from D&R but instead to have a supplemental recap and a ending, 3.0 and FINAL depict both the ending in a certain way that originates from Rebuilds purpose to turn Eva into a newer and different story seperate from NGE, that is about what Eva will become after what Eva was 'till 3.0

Before D&R and EoE, the films were supposed to be seperate from NGE, to depict a larger and cinematic approach of what Eva could've become.

This is the foundation for Rebuild and FINAL all along, to evolve out form rebooting NGE into a sequel and end it as the definitve version of Eva.

Even if FINAL uses ideas from NGE and Rebulid, they 'll only be a homage and FINAL itself 'll be far more different.

Therefore you can't ever predict FINALs plot when 3.0 ends rebooting NGE inside Rebulid.

Even the pattern of the Titles gets only more appearent the more I think of it now.

SPOILER: Show
Neon Genesis Evangelion (1-26,21'-24')

Neon Genesis Evangelion Theatrical Edition(D&R,EoE,Revival)

Evangelion New Theatrical Edition(1.0,2.0,3.0)

New Evangelion Theatrical Edition(3.0+1.0)
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”