How grimdark is Evangelion?

This is the place to start: Feel free to introduce yourself, have general conversations and casual discussions about all things Evangelion, including chit-chatty topics like "Sachiel is adorable" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?"

Moderator: Board Staff

C. Smith
Embryo

How grimdark is Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby C. Smith » Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:22 pm

I've been hearing across numerous online circles that Evangelion is incredibly grimdark but how grimdark is it really, especially considering that I watched stuff like MD Geist, Genocyber and Gantz?

ZQFMGB
Adam

Re: How grimdark is Evangelion?

•      
  •      

Postby ZQFMGB » Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:03 am

I didn't saw any of these anime so I can't compare, but I'll try to answer.
I don't think NGE is really grimdark. Post ep 19 is pretty depressing, but the majority of the series along with the ending don't feel grimdark to me, at least not W40k level.
EOE is though, even with the "happy" ending. There is just too much gore, depression and mental illness in it.
The Rebuilds are definitely not grimdark. They have their sad and hopeless moments, but not enough to be considered grimdark, at least not in their current state.
Nerv is recruiting new employees ! Check the list below to see what are the required competences for each job !

Commander : being as unexpressive as possible and doing a perfect "Gendo pose".
Vice Commander : looking constipated.
Operations director : shouting orders which have 95% chances of failing.
Chief scientist : looking amazed and puzzled when something goes wrong with an Eva.
Bridge operator : saying what's going wrong with an Eva and which emergency procedure isn't working.
Therapist : thera what ?

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Nov 10, 2018 11:39 am

Given that the message of Evangelion ultimately is positive, I'd say it's not grimdark at all. At least not my definition of grimdark
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

C. Smith
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby C. Smith » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:20 pm

View Original PostZQFMGB wrote:I didn't saw any of these anime so I can't compare, but I'll try to answer.
I don't think NGE is really grimdark. Post ep 19 is pretty depressing, but the majority of the series along with the ending don't feel grimdark to me, at least not W40k level.
EOE is though, even with the "happy" ending. There is just too much gore, depression and mental illness in it.
The Rebuilds are definitely not grimdark. They have their sad and hopeless moments, but not enough to be considered grimdark, at least not in their current state.

Rebuild 3.03 toed the line though (I've been hearing that it was even more grimdark than End)

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:20 pm

View Original PostC. Smith wrote:Rebuild 3.03 toed the line though (I've been hearing that it was even more grimdark than End)

I'd say you should just go and watch it and base your opinion on that instead of what you've heard somewhere on the internet :shrug:
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:47 pm

Evangelion is grim and dark, but does not cross over into grimdark because it doesn't rise to the level of self parody.

A world where humanity is on the edge of extermination and people are making horrific choices to survive, with the struggles of our lives taken to irrational and horrifying extremes, is grim and dark.

A world where humanity is on the edge and people are making the horrific choice to turn thirteen year olds into ten foot tall Catholic Space Nazis to fight ravening hordes of green English football hooligans is grimdark.

If I were going to call any of Anno's work grimdark -and this is a stretch- I would peg that one to his Godzilla movie, because it mocks social issues in Japan the way that Warhammer 40,000 made fun of British politics and culture from the era of its creation. (There's an Ork warlord named after Margaret Thatcher.)

Keep in mind also that there is a third category, that of "grimderp". Examples of grimderp would be Batman v Superman: Dawn of Punching or any stupid angsty garbage that has no point other than shocking you with how grim it is.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

C. Smith
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby C. Smith » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:54 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:A world where humanity is on the edge and people are making the horrific choice to turn thirteen year olds into ten foot tall Catholic Space Nazis to fight ravening hordes of green English football hooligans is grimdark.

Don't forget undead Terminators, perpetually-hungry Xenomorphs, blue-skinned space Communists, perv elves, and demons.

View Original PostChuckman wrote:If I were going to call any of Anno's work grimdark -and this is a stretch- I would peg that one to his Godzilla movie, because it mocks social issues in Japan the way that Warhammer 40,000 made fun of British politics and culture from the era of its creation. (There's an Ork warlord named after Margaret Thatcher.)

Shin Godzilla was more about pointing out what is wrong with Japanese society and bureaucracy whereas 40k was just about lampooning.

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Keep in mind also that there is a third category, that of "grimderp". Examples of grimderp would be Batman v Superman: Dawn of Punching or any stupid angsty garbage that has no point other than shocking you with how grim it is.

Like say Magical Girl Site or Akame Ga Kill.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:52 pm

Shin Godzilla definitely has an element of satire. It's not the main focus but it's there.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

ShonHam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ShonHam » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:26 am

It has elements of Grimdark, but I'd say it stops there in terms of similarities.
I do love me some Rei guns.

Return to “Evangelion General and Chit-Chat”