Personal Status After Rebuild

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition").
The third installment debuted in Japan on November 17, 2012.

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

kuribo-04
Lilin
Lilin

Re: Personal Status After Rebuild

•      
  •      

Postby kuribo-04 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 6:59 pm

Evangelion will always be a work I'll watch at least every couple years and talk about very often.
In fact, my next rewatch is due!
Shinji: "Sooner or later I'll be betrayed... And they'll leave me. Still... I want to meet them again, because I believe my feelings at that time were real."
Ryuko: "I'm gonna knock ya on your asses!"
-Asuka: THINK IN GERMAN!!! -Shinji: Öh... Baumkuchen...
Hayashida: "As game developers, our work is special. All of us here can put smiles on very many people's faces with our work."
"In any case, it (Kill la Kill) is the greatest work of fiction ever written and should be taught in schools." -Squigsquasher
~('.'~) (~'.')~ Dancin Kirby

DarkBluePhoenix
Lilin
Lilin
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:29 pm

DarkBluePhoenix wrote:^ Well they said that WWI was the war to end all wars... and look how that turned out :emogendo:
View Original PostBlockio wrote::pointup: this is the perfect reply to any announcement about something big coming to an end

Yes, even 100 years later (today no less is that day), it's still a very relevant point to make.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Blockio
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Nov 12, 2018 11:09 am

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:Yes, even 100 years later (today no less is that day), it's still a very relevant point to make.

Yep, been a while, hasn't it? I still remember a couple of years ago the whole "100 years since first tank deplyoment" thing...
Why don't you save the Princess next time instead of being such a baby? She would love it and maybe you could get a sweet kiss. ~ sadly not Mari in Q (Joseki)

What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu

SEELE-01
Lilin
Lilin

•      
  •      

Postby SEELE-01 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:16 pm

Will probably lurk in here for years on end and throw in sarcastic remarks on threads whenever the topic calls for it.

Eva is far too much part of my life to just "abandon it" or "move on".
To this day I'll show the anime to anyone willing to be mind-fucked (two days ago I introduced a couple of friends to it), so I can discuss in person and gain new insight. To this day I keep learning new perspectives tot he series, so...
I guess I'll collect figures as I always have and see what other debaucheries of merchandise Khara can come up with on the following years (remember the bucket?)
I any case, I'll probably be here when 3rd Impact occurs in this forum*. :emogendo:

*when mods and webmasters get tired of it and shut it down.
AVATAR: Remaining active time: 00:00

Visit my blog & Tumblr

LightDragonman
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:55 am

Honestly, I just want this whole saga to be wrapped up with soon. Anno has dragged us along for almost an entire decade, leaving us with an incredibly dour and depressing note with 3.0's ending, with nothing to show for it while he goes off and works on other projects that he obviously is more passionate about (The Wind Rises, Animator Expo, Shin Godzilla, etc). It really feels like he himself has grown sick of this series (not surprising, given how the third film made him all depressed again), and he'd rather spend more time with his family and friends. Which may be why he's held off on resolving the cliffhanger for so long.

It's just frustrating for me to go through nearly a decade of my life, experienced change and hardships as well, yet these characters are still stuck in the same hopeless spot. It makes it far harder for me to relate to the characters or be sympathetic to their plight because of it. Like, I've had to grow and change, but Shinji and co have not.
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

Bhorium
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Bhorium » Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:17 am

I know what you mean. I can relate to the feeling that the Rebuild series has just been keeping its wheels spinning and that the characters haven't really gone anywhere nor changed significantly, despite Rebuild overtly changing things when it comes to visuals and setting.

I think there should be a name for this feeling towards long-running stories/franchises. Like, "the Spider-Man effect" or something.
Sorry, I was soliloquising again. Filthy habit.

Joseki
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:59 am

View Original PostLightDragonman wrote:leaving us with an incredibly dour and depressing note with 3.0's ending

I think the ending of 3.0 is very positive to be honest, it makes me feel good.
「希望は残っているよ。どんな時にもね」

29/07/2017 - 20/07/2018

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:09 am

You know, if the TV series keeps popping up in US distributions, there might be more incentive for people to stick around. More newcomers can mean more interesting discussions.

LightDragonman
Ramiel
Ramiel

•      
  •      

Postby LightDragonman » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:50 pm

Joseki wrote:
I think the ending of 3.0 is very positive to be honest, it makes me feel good.

I have absolutely no idea how you could feel that way, given how Shinji is pretty much screwed. He unknowingly killed billions because he tried to save someone he cared about, which failed as well, got one of his other friends killed, nearly everyone either hates him or simply sees him as a means to an end, and the ones that don't see him as untrustworthy and unsympathetic. I know everyone here has speculated that he didn't kill billions, but that's only speculation for now, and also really shows why these delay have been so frustrating to me. It's like we are forced to come up with our own solutions and excuses by inventing the narrative, rather than judging it on its own terms, because Anno has failed to deliver the answer himself. Not saying that every mystery needs an explanation, but when something like this that is so pivotal to whether or not Shinji can be redeemed is shown in the worst way possible, I can only really come to the conclusion that he killed billions unknowingly.

Really, the only real thing one can do to help him out is to put him out of his misery, or for him to make a heroic sacrifice. But because Anno believes that the only thing someone should focus on is living at all costs, that's not gonna happen. To him, sacrifices are the actions of the weak-willed cowards who can't accept living over giving up their lives for others. As long as you are alive, then that is the way to fulfillment and happiness, regardless of what all you have done, or could do to help others. Screw the actions of veterans or other real life heroes who gave up their lives to save others or the ones they cared about. They are all just spineless weaklings because they didn't choose to live.

Hope your happy with your message Anno. You must be so proud.
Proud fanboy of Rei Ayanami. :p

Joseki
Tabris
Tabris

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:28 pm

The ending makes me feel good because it has a melancholic but positive imaginery. A slow panning upwards, soft piano notes, main characters walking over a hill together towards the future under a perfect sky.

For the rest of the post...

「希望は残っているよ。どんな時にもね」

29/07/2017 - 20/07/2018

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion”