Pacific Rim

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

Re: Pacific Rim

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:12 am

It's a bad movie from start to finish. Probably will never think about it again. This will be my one post on it.

Plus, watching the original right before going to see the new one especially highlighted the vapid experience Uprising was.

I'd be curious to see what Guillermo Del Toro's original plan for a sequel was. A sequel after how the original ended would have always felt unnecessary but I think he would've cracked the case and found a way to make it work. He and the original creative did write an outline/possibly even a script. But, then when he left to do The Shape of Water & the new team was brought they apparently changed things drastically. In Del Toro's script I do know that Raleigh & Mako were to stay on as the central protagonists and that there was no Jake* Pentercost**. Mako Mori certainly would not have been reduced to what was essentially a glorified cameo since he was effusive about what a joy it was to create that character with Rinko Kikuchi.

I think only three things were carried over from Del Toro's original drafts:
SPOILER: Show
1. Del Toro's sequel was to take place in a world rebuilding itself after the Kaiju threat seemed over. Though his movie would have primarily dealt with the concept of what do warriors do when the world no longer needs them and would have made that the central focus. The new movie barely plays lip service to the idea.
2. There would have been a Jaeger-Kaiju hybrid.
3. Charlie Day's Newt would have still been corrupted by the aliens. Though again, I imagine Del Toro would have heavily focused on that storyline since he loves working with Charlie Day.

If Del Toro's original was a movie then this was the expensive (mostly shot in cost saving close ups though) pilot to a Netflix original series.

But, I would like to add Pacific Rim: Uprising to my list of reasons why a Live Action Evangelion is a terrible idea. Even though the actress is in her 20s I felt every scene with the spunky 14 year old girl pilot continually undermined everything BECAUSE she was a spunky 14 year old girl who had no right being in such an important position. Animation allows you to get away with having the world entrust its future to a child pilot and letting them be cool at times. In live action you're just looking at a child thinking "You don't belong here."

*I think the names sums up the difference between the first creative team & the sequels creative team.
Gloriously cartoonish names created for the characters in the first film - Stacker Pentecost. Raleigh Beckett. Mako Mori. Dr. Newton Geiszler. Herman Gottlieb. Colonel Herc Hansen. Hannibal Chau. Tendo Choi.
Bland white bread names created for the characters in the second film - Jake Pentecost. Nate Lambert. Jules. Viktoria. The closest they come to interesting is Amara Namani.

** Jake Pentecost by the way was a VERY LATE addition to the film since the movie was originally greenlit based on a script with Charlie Hunnam & Rinko Kikuchi in the lead roles. Thing is no one had checked his availability when they got the go ahead to begin production and if they waited for him they would have never hit their original release date of April 7, 2017 - which they didn't make anyways - so when they learned John Boyega was a big fan of the first film they just concocted this never-before-mentioned son of Stacker Pentecost to lure in the guy from Star Wars. I also have to imagine this decision to make him the central focus also led to basically writing Mako Mori out of the movie so he would have some of (empty) emotional narrative.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:41 pm

I've seen a bunch of negative reactions to Uprising here, so let me be the contrarian. I enjoyed Uprising for what it was. It isn't as good as the original, but I wasn't expecting it to be, and I'm not going to hold that fact that it isn't as good against it. What I did enjoy was the tone and spirit of the film, as it embraces even more of the mecha anime tropes that I enjoyed in the first film, and does even more to make it seem like a live action cartoon. I felt like I was watching an anime, which is what I wanted, but it also felt appropriate for the direction of the Pacific Rim franchise. I especially liked the subplot about attaching thrusters to the Jaegers and how that played out. One of the more worrisome aspects of the film had to do with the child cast, but the lead girl quickly won me over with how convincing she portrayed the character, and I liked that the kids stayed mostly on the sidelines until toward the end of the film. I am with everybody else in being disappointed over the treatment of Mako Mori's character; there was a lot of wasted potential there, however I can see the intent they were going for, and I can be somewhat forgiving about it. I very much enjoyed the direction taken with Newt, and that's honestly what won the film over for me. His actions in this film adds weight and new context for his actions in the first film, and I'm interested in seeing them take it even further in subsequent films if we get them.

So, while I won't pretend that the film is perfect and even close to as good as the original, I still very much appreciate it for what it is, and I am very glad we have both films to enjoy. If I were to rate the original Pacific Rim at a 7.5 or 8/10, Pacific Rim: Uprising gets a 6.5/10 from me.
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:40 am

"When I was a kid, whenever I would feel small or lonely, I would look up at the stars. Wonder if there was life up there. Turns out I was looking in the wrong direction...."

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/a-giant-crack-opens-in-kenya-but-whats-causing-it/?linkId=50036417

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:29 pm

Netflix is making a Pacific Rim anime.
Makes sense.
Though from the sounds of it Guillermo Del Toro, who directed the original and is making a dozen different projects with Netflix already, is not involved.
That makes less sense.

https://deadline.com/2018/11/netflix-an ... 202498191/

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:28 am

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Netflix is making a Pacific Rim anime.
Makes sense.
Though from the sounds of it Guillermo Del Toro, who directed the original and is making a dozen different projects with Netflix already, is not involved.
That makes less sense.

Del Toro already wasn't involved in Uprising, and we know how that one turned out... although I definitely am looking forward to the inevitable new Jaeger designs

Netflix wrote:Pacific Rim, which expands the world of the two live-action movies of the same name, returns to the epic battle of Kaiju and Jaegers. The original anime series follows two siblings — an idealistic teenage boy and his naïve younger sister — who are forced to pilot an abandoned Jaeger across a hostile landscape in a desperate attempt to find their missing parents. Co-showrunners are Craig Kyle (Thor:Ragnarok) and Greg Johnson (X-Men: Evolution). The series comes from Legendary Entertainment (Kong: Skull Island; Pokemon: Detective Pikachu)

This could either turn out great or an complete and utter disaster. Since rogue Jaegers are already confirmed by the text, if they go with scrap-built ones, I sincerely hope they end up looking like Tomahawk Blaze instead of Scrapper
Tomahawk Blaze  SPOILER: Show
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:30 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Del Toro already wasn't involved in Uprising, and we know how that one turned out... although I definitely am looking forward to the inevitable new Jaeger designs

This could either turn out great or an complete and utter disaster. Since rogue Jaegers are already confirmed by the text, if they go with scrap-built ones, I sincerely hope they end up looking like Tomahawk Blaze instead of Scrapper
Tomahawk Blaze  SPOILER: Show

https://io9.gizmodo.com/netflix-is-making-pacific-rim-and-altered-carbon-anime-1830299816

I'm voting disaster since Greg Johnson's X men Evolution cartoon series was was nothing to shout about and Craig Kyle was the producer of Ragnarok he didn't direct or write it and I think them not waiting for Del Toro to finish his Pinocchio Netflix project with Jim Henson Company was an utterly stupid move, since Trollhunters with Dreamworks was really successful.

Pacific Rim series from Craig Kyle (Thor: Ragnarok) and Greg Johnson (X-Men: Evolution). It will star a teenage boy and his younger sister, who take control of an abandoned Jaeger as they travel across the country in search of their parents.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:56 am

View Original PostBlockio wrote:Tomahawk Blaze

They should code name that one "Ersatz Transformer"
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:12 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:They should code name that one "Ersatz Transformer"

Thing is, it's not even a PPDC one. The tiny bit of lore it gets (it's from the mobile game) states that it is a scrap-build unregistered Jaeger. And while we're at it... petition to rename Guardian Bravo to "Optimus Gundam"
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:16 pm

Pacific Rim without Del Toro? I don't need that kind of negativity in my life. Again.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Nov 10, 2018 4:45 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:"Optimus Gundam"

There should be a Pacific Rim RPG so I can call my jaeger "Liege Machismo"
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

ErgoProxy
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby ErgoProxy » Sat Nov 10, 2018 5:08 pm

Well, I would call mine "Marshal Brzęczyszczykiewicz" and turn the whole thing into a drink game. :tongue:
JUSTICE & MERCY

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:16 pm

View Original PostErgoProxy wrote:"Marshal Brzęczyszczykiewicz"

Grzegorz

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:51 pm

Something tells me these new Jager designs are going to be very Evangelion-lite.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Nov 26, 2018 1:38 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:Something tells me these new Jager designs are going to be very Evangelion-lite.

I don't know... Uprising Designs were done by the same people who did the originals and those pretty good and unique as well, and since there is no reason for them to have different people design their new Jaegers I can see them still coming up with good new designs. Plus, I don't think the Eva proportions, NGE or NTE would look good on a Jaeger... if anything, I'd say they would be going more in a Gundam-like direction

Lacinq55
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Lacinq55 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:49 am

The Hong Kong's Battle with Japanese Dub (Megumi Hayashibara voiced Mako Mori) and Decisive Battle's OST.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Zo0Lgl-_sM

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:28 am

Works pretty well for the ground battle, not a fan of the air bit

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:16 pm

Shrug. The Netflix CG anime has a trailer and a release date of March 4. It exists.

https://twitter.com/PacificRim/status/1356301294080765952?s=20

Still very disappointed we never got to see Guillermo Del Toro's full vision for the Pacific Rim trilogy. But Hellboy fans know what thats like.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:53 pm

Looks at trailer....not feeling it....

Also they better go in to the drift as in Del Toro's graphic novel Tales from Year Zero it shows the couple who invented the drift and it's about way more than just traumatic memories and getting lost you down rabbit holes. I imagine Del Toro was probably going to go there in his sequel uprising script, but the filmmakers probably punted it to the curb and just did a boring copy and paste of the first film's drift.

Yet it changes everything as time stands still in this mental zone, and it also gives pilots downtime to talk to each other along with sharing memories and childhood. It also explains why severing one pilot from another is so traumatic and why you need good connections for both to function well and why you can't just shove anyone in there as like Evangelion it's a mental discipline.

Drifting  SPOILER: Show
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:28 pm

The trailer looks.... fine. I don't terribly care for the artstyle, but I'm open to see what it brings.

As for the drift; considering that this is ultimately still mecha anime, I'mm almost positive that they will.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Feb 01, 2021 6:23 pm

Meh...

Return to “Film and Video”