Godzilla & Kaiju General!

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

Re: Godzilla & Kaiju General!

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:19 pm

Alexander Skarsgård added to Godzilla vs Kong as a military leader.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:08 am

Godzilla graphic novel set between 2014 & Kom has been announced.
SPOILER: Show

Godzilla: Aftershock is written by Arvid Nelson and illustrated by Drew Edward Johnson and takes place after the first film’s cataclysmic events in San Francisco. A new threat is rising, bringing with it devastating earthquakes, and possessing an unstoppable urge to destroy.

“Godzilla: Aftershock is yet another exhilarating entry into the canon of the MonsterVerse, and it is especially exciting to introduce fans to a brand new original monster unique to the comic, but true to the legacy of Godzilla,” said Robert Napton, Senior Vice President of Legendary Comics.

The graphic novel will also introduce brand new characters who’ll appear in Godzilla: King of the Monsters, and will delve further into the clandestine activities of Monarch, the cryptozoological research group at the heart of Legendary’s MonsterVerse.

The brilliant and driven Monarch operative Dr. Emma Russell races to stop the threat as clues emerge to reveal a terrible secret—a tragedy, of apocalyptic proportions from the distant past that changed the course of human history, is returning to threaten it once more. A shadowy figure stalks Emma’s every move as she travels the globe to uncover secrets, while Godzilla clashes in an ancient rivalry as old as the earth itself. The fate of the world lies in the balance in an epic confrontation that no Godzilla fan

Very happy it will feature a original monster.
Sample of the interior artist cover work from a recent Kong comic series.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:14 pm

An early review of the third act in the Godzilla Anime Trilogy that actually says it's good. Personally, I'll believe it when I see it. Review also mentions a Netflix release date of January 9, 2019 which while not confirmed anywhere does fit in with the release of the previous entries which were released exactly 2 months to the day after their Japanese theatrical bow.

https://www.slashfilm.com/godzilla-the-planet-eater-review/

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Oct 31, 2018 10:54 am

Netflix’s anime Godzilla trilogy has suffered in some ways from the staggered method of its release. The installments have been spaced out about six months apart from each other so that the movies could enjoy a theatrical run in Japan before their worldwide Netflix release. In retrospect, this is a series that might benefit more from a binge-watch.

I find this opinion highly questionable.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:32 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Netflix’s anime Godzilla trilogy has suffered in some ways from the staggered method of its release. The installments have been spaced out about six months apart from each other so that the movies could enjoy a theatrical run in Japan before their worldwide Netflix release. In retrospect, this is a series that might benefit more from a binge-watch.

I find this opinion highly questionable.

Yeah so do I because in my view there is no excuse for poor character development, or rushed forced tropes and forced love interests or not giving your audience better hints which really hurt the last two movies badly. I've come to expect this crap from modern Hollywood films because there jarring for easy cash I do not expect it from netflix as they have the ability for wider ideas and perspectives as there not as restricted creatively. So this studio had no excuse they dropped the ball badly on this one and even if the last movie is good it doesn't change the fact that the first two in my view are the worst thing to ever come out of the godzilla franchise.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Wed Oct 31, 2018 6:49 pm

I thought the worst thing was the first one. Then I saw the second one.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:32 am

There is absolutely nothing that would make me want to combine the tedium of 3 separate awful movies into one elongated experience. It's not that I felt a lack of closure from any of these films, rather I just felt an overwhelming (and almost vitriolic) lack of interest. It's weird when I feel like I gotta watch Godzilla's Revenge as a palette cleanser, but I think I'll do just that after watching the third one.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:32 pm

Rebecca Hall (Iron Man 3, The Prestige) whom I am a big fan of and Eiza González (Baby Driver) have been added to Godzilla vs Kong. Hall apparently in a lead role.

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:43 am

I am just now realizing that I could be watching more movies starring Eiza González, and I don't know why this hasn't occurred to me before now. It's good to know that in the near future I can kill two birds with one stone. Gotta watch as much Godzilla and Eiza González as possible, you know.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:26 am

Toho is doing some kinda short film for the 65th aniversery, recreated the 1954 suit and will have him fighting the 1990s style Maser tanks.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BpxT_bGBI5b

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:I am just now realizing that I could be watching more movies starring Eiza González, and I don't know why this hasn't occurred to me before now. It's good to know that in the near future I can kill two birds with one stone. Gotta watch as much Godzilla and Eiza González as possible, you know.

She that good in Baby Driver?

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:01 am

She's fun to watch.

*looks up Eiza González's filmography*

Oh crap, she's in the the live-action Jem and the Holograms film. I'm gonna have to rethink this. She's not that fun to watch.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:56 am

KOM is finished.

Lance Reddick has joined Godzilla vs. Kong.
Big fan of his, cast is insane.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:35 pm

New KOM trailer very likely Friday or Saturday from the Tokyo Comic Con.

Settie
Sachiel
Sachiel

•      
  •      

Postby Settie » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:59 pm

^ God i hope so, first trailer got me super hyped for it and given how far out it still is. Something to keep the interest would be mighty nice.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:44 pm

Sadly no trailer until December 9th at Brazil comic con apparently?

However we did get a preview of a theme from the film expanding off the classic theme to a extent - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-cmp5IW3C0

And a bunch of concept art/statue/toy reveals of the film's monsters. Spoilers...

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Dec 10, 2018 12:27 pm

New KOM trailer ^_^ - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDnKuFtdc7A

Just love how epic the scale continues to be.
Rodan & Mothra both look absolutely boss.
Probably showed a bit too much of Ghidorah TBH but it's pretty much inevitable, have to sell audiences that this won't be another 2014 in terms of monster screen time.
Music is sadly more generic then the inspired choice of the 1st trailer but this still works great.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:47 pm

The original teaser trailer (which must have some some rights issue or something, because it's been removed from the Internet which shouldn't be possible) for Godzilla 2014 was better than the actual film.

I don't think that will be a problem this time.

Also I'm totally okay with Ken Watanabe's sole role in these movies being Godzilla's hype man.
the prophecy is true

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:56 pm

Don't know how Godzilla vs King Kong could top this movie. I mean, seriously. You don't follow up Ghidorah with a giant ape, even if they are god-like creatures.

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:05 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:The original teaser trailer (which must have some some rights issue or something, because it's been removed from the Internet which shouldn't be possible) for Godzilla 2014 was better than the actual film.

Yeah I remember that teaser it was better than the film you had the Oppenheimer words while you see Godzilla in the smog roaring over another dead monster it was chilling and had some mayor Shin Godzilla vibes. https://vimeo.com/146985673
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Dec 10, 2018 5:08 pm

Well, my guess is that Godzilla dies and Kong fights a baby Godzilla, or they don't fight much and team up against another enemy. Also Kong is going to be ludicrously huge in the next movie, they basically said he was a baby in Skull Island.

I'd bet it'll be something like, dumbass humans drive Kong off his island and he has to fight Godzilla but something worse shows up and they fight that.

If there really is a set number of these movies with no plans to extend/renew rights, etc. it's pretty much a given that Godzilla will die on screen in one of them. These things are melodrama, they play out emotions like harps.

One of the things that makes Monsterverse so fresh and compelling is that I have enough familiarity with these characters that there's no need for tedious exposition, but they're not adapting from one or even several existing storylines, so I have no clue what will happen when I go in.

Edit:

Also. Why do these people keep shooting at Godzilla with rifles? What do they think that is possibly going to accomplish?
the prophecy is true

Return to “Film and Video”