Is it normal to be traumatized by Evangelion?

This is a forum for casual discussion of Evangelion. Topics like "Asuka is hot!" or "Which Eva kicks the most ass?" belong here.

Moderator: Board Staff

Mankar
Embryo
Age: 15
Posts: 8
Joined: Aug 08, 2018
Location: Toronto
Gender: Male

Is it normal to be traumatized by Evangelion?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mankar » Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:55 pm

So, I just finished watching Evangelion and EoE in 2 days and I absolutely loved it, its amazing. However, for the next few days till now, I'm feeling very I want to say anxious or just over bad or pensive from watching the show. I still love it but it just makes me feel bad or anxious, I don't know what it is and I'm starting to get obsessed with the show because I'm telling everyone about it hoping it'll fix me. Does anyone else have any similar experience? I feel as if it's only because I'm young that this show has effected me this much.

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland
User avatar
Age: 72
Posts: 9998
Joined: Nov 18, 2012
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: Is it normal to be traumatized by Evangelion?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby pwhodges » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:28 am

You are not alone, though the strength of people's reactions depends a lot on their life circumstances. The important thing is to realise that the endings (both the series and the End of Evangelion film) are , even if it's not fully spelt out, optimistic. Shinji has discovered in the end that he can make a move forward by his own efforts. We aren't shown where this will take him, or how hard it might still be for him, because we are each intended to find out ourselves what the future holds.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: "It was yourself you ran away from" - episode 16. (details); Past avatars.
Can't wait for 3.0+1.0? - try Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mankar
Embryo
Age: 15
Posts: 8
Joined: Aug 08, 2018
Location: Toronto
Gender: Male

Re: Is it normal to be traumatized by Evangelion?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mankar » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:43 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:You are not alone, though the strength of people's reactions depends a lot on their life circumstances. The important thing is to realise that the endings (both the series and the End of Evangelion film) are , even if it's not fully spelt out, optimistic. Shinji has discovered in the end that he can make a move forward by his own efforts. We aren't shown where this will take him, or how hard it might still be for him, because we are each intended to find out ourselves what the future holds.
I realize this and I love the ending how it basically shows us how there's always hope but there's something about it that feels off I guess and that might be why I feel this way, but I have no idea :um:

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland
User avatar
Age: 72
Posts: 9998
Joined: Nov 18, 2012
Location: Oxford, UK
Contact:

Re: Is it normal to be traumatized by Evangelion?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby pwhodges » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:13 am

Anno is very clear that it is not for him to give you an answer, though. In the end, the best lessons are those you are able to learn for yourself; Evengelion may offer a pointer and a hint as to a direction you might benefit from looking in.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: "It was yourself you ran away from" - episode 16. (details); Past avatars.
Can't wait for 3.0+1.0? - try Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Mankar
Embryo
Age: 15
Posts: 8
Joined: Aug 08, 2018
Location: Toronto
Gender: Male

Re: Is it normal to be traumatized by Evangelion?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mankar » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:23 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Anno is very clear that it is not for him to give you an answer, though. In the end, the best lessons are those you are able to learn for yourself; Evengelion may offer a pointer and a hint as to a direction you might benefit from looking in.
true, I feel like it tells me more about who I am with the interpretations I'm able to come up with and that jut subconsciously scares me but I'm still unsure. Right now, I probably won't notice it until I'm a bit older when I can actually reflect on my younger self and see what certain pieces of art have done for/to me. but until then lets hope I'm not traumatized for life :tongue:

Blockio
Sandalphon
Sandalphon
User avatar
Age: 19
Posts: 538
Joined: Dec 03, 2017
Location: the Country of NERV's third branch
Gender: Male

Re: Is it normal to be traumatized by Evangelion?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Blockio » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:23 pm

I myself have experienced it as pretty much the opposite, however I know for a fact that I somewhat traumatised a friend I watched it with. Granted, as a first ever anime in one sitting overnight may not have been the smartest idea in hindsight, but eh.
Why don't you save the Princess next time instead of being such a baby? She would love it and maybe you could get a sweet kiss. ~ sadly not Mari in Q (Joseki)

What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu

Mankar
Embryo
Age: 15
Posts: 8
Joined: Aug 08, 2018
Location: Toronto
Gender: Male

Re: Is it normal to be traumatized by Evangelion?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mankar » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:26 pm

View Original PostBlockio wrote:I myself have experienced it as pretty much the opposite, however I know for a fact that I somewhat traumatized a friend I watched it with. Granted, as a first ever anime in one sitting overnight may not have been the smartest idea in hindsight, but eh.
haha, honestly I don't know what it is but I'm guessing its traumatization cause i literally cant stop thinking about it and feeling weird/bad about it.

ShonHam
Adam
User avatar
Posts: 78
Joined: Jul 20, 2018
Location: The Wired
Gender: Male

Re: Is it normal to be traumatized by Evangelion?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby ShonHam » Sun Oct 07, 2018 1:48 am

The show does have a lasting effect on your psyche afterwards, although that's partly due to the lack of closure I imagine. More open-ended series finales always leave marks in your mind and irk you, some moreso than others.
What will be will be.

The Cruel
Shamshel
Shamshel
User avatar
Age: 24
Posts: 283
Joined: Feb 19, 2014
Gender: Male

Re: Is it normal to be traumatized by Evangelion?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby The Cruel » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:16 pm

Congrats Mankar for getting into the journey through the dark side of anime and human nature that is Eva, especially for you being such a young soul the same as Shinji and the others.

For preserving individual ideals while it endangers others, humans 'll always be reminded about being in the center of the universe and are responsible for disturbing the balance.

The last thing you don't want while facing "THE END" is to regret for not caring enough about yourself and those close to you.

Even now, we have uneasy times in which the order of things could fade in a blink of an eye.

Me, for 5 years, Eva reminds me of what should be importaint the most, to move on in life no matter how little I could do to endure hardships or whether I doubt my worth for who and what I care for.

And in the next few years when the 4th and last film of Rebuild is finally here, humans 'll be reminded with hard truths once more.

Image
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

SpaceCowboy35
Embryo
Posts: 7
Joined: Nov 02, 2018
Gender: Male

Re: Is it normal to be traumatized by Evangelion?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby SpaceCowboy35 » Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:10 am

I feel it is normal for someone to feel that way about Eva as I did, to a lesser extent, myself. I found myself connecting to Shinji on a deep level and many times felt his emotional pain right beside him. Either way, I think it is fine and normal and you will soon get over it. On the plus side, it inspired a lot of introspection that helped me grow as a person.

Mankar
Embryo
Age: 15
Posts: 8
Joined: Aug 08, 2018
Location: Toronto
Gender: Male

Re: Is it normal to be traumatized by Evangelion?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mankar » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:52 am

View Original PostThe Cruel wrote:Congrats Mankar for getting into the journey through the dark side of anime and human nature that is Eva, especially for you being such a young soul the same as Shinji and the others.

For preserving individual ideals while it endangers others, humans 'll always be reminded about being in the center of the universe and are responsible for disturbing the balance.

The last thing you don't want while facing "THE END" is to regret for not caring enough about yourself and those close to you.

Even now, we have uneasy times in which the order of things could fade in a blink of an eye.

Me, for 5 years, Eva reminds me of what should be importaint the most, to move on in life no matter how little I could do to endure hardships or whether I doubt my worth for who and what I care for.

And in the next few years when the 4th and last film of Rebuild is finally here, humans 'll be reminded with hard truths once more.

Image


haha, finished the rebuild films recently, actually enjoyed them. But i still prefer the original over them. I'm very excited for the new move aswell :)

Mankar
Embryo
Age: 15
Posts: 8
Joined: Aug 08, 2018
Location: Toronto
Gender: Male

Re: Is it normal to be traumatized by Evangelion?

  •      
  •      
  • Quote

Postby Mankar » Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:53 am

View Original PostSpaceCowboy35 wrote:I feel it is normal for someone to feel that way about Eva as I did, to a lesser extent, myself. I found myself connecting to Shinji on a deep level and many times felt his emotional pain right beside him. Either way, I think it is fine and normal and you will soon get over it. On the plus side, it inspired a lot of introspection that helped me grow as a person.

Yep! I to this day, still think about life differently every single day but what sparked it was eva. I didn't really care until I saw eva, but it's in a good way.


Return to “Evangelion Chit-Chat”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests