Last Movie You Watched

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

::KL7::
Ireul
Ireul

Re:

•      
  •      

Postby ::KL7:: » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:41 pm

View Original PostTrajan wrote:Am I the only one who likes the 10th Star Trek film? It's sure as shit better than the 9th, 5th and 1st entries.

No you're not.

But I just saw the new Jurassic world movie and man. That was awful. Is there a thread for how bad it was. Or do Evageeks like this movie???
It's Ok if you hate me, I hate me too.

Mr. Tines
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Re:

•      
  •      

Postby Mr. Tines » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:20 am

View Original Post::KL7:: wrote:But I just saw the new Jurassic world movie and man. That was awful. Is there a thread for how bad it was. Or do Evageeks like this movie???

Try
https://forum.evageeks.org/thread/17516 ... ssic-World
https://forum.evageeks.org/thread/16916/Jurassic-World
Reminder: Play nicely <<>> My vanity publishing:- NGE|blog|Photos|retro-blog|Fanfics &c.|MAL|𝕏|🐸|🦣

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

Re: Last Movie You Watched

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:51 pm

I don't think anyone liked it, including the people who were in it.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

SawItAtAge10
Gaghiel
Gaghiel

•      
  •      

Postby SawItAtAge10 » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:40 pm

I recently re-watched Alien: Covenant. The third time around, and first outside of a theater, it was actually pretty good. I think people give the movie WAAAAY too much hell for petty things...I think the characters are all passable enough and I think the narrative thread works in its own way and does enough, at least for me, to see where the next film will go. GRANTED, my pov might be a tad corrupted seeing as Alien 3 is my favorite in the franchise + I love Alien: Resurrection as well, mainly for nostalgic reasons, but it has its moments...

Just about the only things in the franchise (I don't really do spin off novels, video games or comics) I can't stand are the AVP movies...

My favorite aspect of A:C are the creature designs...I think the back burster is one of the coolest/goriest things I've ever seen in cinema.
FROM EVANGELION:
"Acts of Man are greater than acts of God!"

"I'm saying that I love you."

NOT FROM EVANGELION:
"You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold."

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri Oct 05, 2018 2:25 pm

Yesterday, I started watching Dark Water (2002) and I have to be honest, I had to stop halfway because the film was so depressing with it's themes of broken families. I picked it up again where I left off today and by the end, I felt broken. Guess this means that I won't be giving the film repeat viewings any time soon or ever.
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:18 am

Downsizing

I gave up in the first half off this, its the most depressing, racist sexist movie I've seen in a long while the critics were right and it feels so outdated 90's on every level. I just gave it a change because I so wanted to have a moment of nostalgia like when I was a kid watching Inner Space or The Shrinking man but its none of these and its all about greed, capitalism and the selfishness of people with no real character development. Like this didn't deserve to be in cinema it deserved to be in the DVD bucket.

The worst part is the wife leaving because she doesn't want to go through with being shrunk down her reasons don't make sense and she purposely painted as a moron and the typical evil wife trope because the script writers just couldn't be bothered with putting real effort in to her character, as people walk away from things like this for much deeper and more complex reasons than I don't enjoy having my eyebrow and hair shaved.

If the movie was going for the proper sci fi edge it wanted it could have had her going I don't want to be animal food (Because this incident happened in one of the make shift cities a cat or dog or wild animal got in and ten people died horribly) or I don't want to die because under there is a chance I could under the shrinking process any of these would have helped her characters reasoning but they just don't go there.

But this brings up the whole thing that wrong with this movie its not about sci fi its about the directors monologue on greed which should have been a separate pet project and set in the normal world where as the shrinking movie idea should have been done separately as sci fi movie and paid homage to other movies like it.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:14 am

Last documentary I watched:

Making Fun: The Story of Funko

I just threw this on one night as I was lazily shuffling about Netflix. I don't have any Pops, and I find the collecting culture built around it kind of unnecessary, but I found this documentary really interesting. I'd give it a B/B-.

Also on Netflix.... Last narrative film I watched:

Ex Machina

Despite a few logical issues, I really enjoyed this. Every so often, it's refreshing to watch something confined to a single location with only a few characters, with the narrative to largely be driven by dialogue. It's all about AI, robots, and The Turing test. I'd give it a A-/B+.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:44 am

First Man

It’s the most artistically competent movie about the space race I’ve ever seen, but it’s a visit to MoMA, not a theme park. It doesn’t have the bombastic reverence or men’s adventure feel of say, Apollo 13. It’s less a story of the triumph of human ingenuity and more a story of the cost of human ingenuity, that being practical, moral, and spiritual. It asks if it was worth it to walk on the moon and leaves it to you to decide.

The fake controversy over the lack of a flag planting scene is stupid and people who complain about it are dipshits who don’t understand how to tell a story.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:58 pm

Black Panther

I always wondered why people say panther casts a shadow over Infinity Wars, I get it now I really do its because this film is a work of art. There so much time and effort and world building in it and it has a really good villain and along with Doctor Strange I think its the best film in the Marvel series. Also kudos to this movie for being really colourful and beautiful unlike most Marvel movies which play of drab colour palettes or the alien colour palette where as this is beautiful colour everywhere its similar to the Fifth Element as the colour is in all scenes and places.

SPOILER: Show
I like how it's also so on the nose regarding racism and reverse racism it knocks it home really hard and it makes the point with out being condescending or insincere and gets you thinking. There's also a scene where they do a car chase in this which is really well done funny and hits the notes of the classic action movies of the 80's and 90's perfectly and feels really fresh.

This movie also stays well away from lazy tropes and its romance is one of the most genuine and healthiest I've ever seen in a Marvel movie and that saying something as normally these play to the trope that the male characters are more dominant. I never felt this here not once or that T'Challa had been weakened on purpose so he could match up to a strong female character, it felt really equal and balanced and the arguments between him and Nakia were never personal or spiteful they were just differences of view point and sometimes playful.

Normally I have a nit pick for a film or something that bothered me but for the first time in ages I can honestly say I have none and you should just go watch this its worth your time. I also think this film has the capacity to possibly go down in film history as I think all the notes it hits unlike the other marvel movies will still have relevance ten/twenty years from now.
Last edited by silvermoonlight on Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Oct 19, 2018 5:25 pm

Halloween (2018)

It’s worth a watch. Competently executed, with an excellent balance of humor, gore and suspense. Unlike many slasher films, this movie focuses on the horror of *death* rather than the horror of *suffering* and plays up the boogeyman aspect of Michael Meyers without a bunch of unnecessary mythology. It also avoids the morality/unlikeable victims tropes that drag these kind of movies down into becoming sublimated power and rape fantasies.

That said, it struggles mightily under the weight of following a ridiculous number of sequels and coming out as the second or third (I can’t even remember) continuity reset. (I’m going to start calling these “none of the sequels count but this one” movies “deboots”) At points it feels like it’s going through the motions.

Despite that it has some of the creepiest images I’ve ever seen in one of these movies, one sequence that is astonishing clever an tense, and probably the most intelligent script I’ve seen in a slasher movie in a long time.

It’s a good but not great horror movie that lacks some essential quality that’s hard to describe. In all honesty it would be a much stronger film without the “revenge” angle.
the prophecy is true

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:35 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:1 - It also avoids the unlikeable victims tropes that drag these kind of movies down

2 - and coming out as the second or third (I can’t even remember) continuity reset.

1 - That is good to hear, unlikable cast ruined the generally well liked The Burning (81) for me. Friday the 13th Part 7 also really suffers from such aside from the sympathetic lead.

2 - Nope it ignores all the sequels completely.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:52 pm

^
Halloween:H20 erased all films in the continuity post the first sequel so it could be the direct continuation of Laurie Strode’s original night.
Then Rob Zombie’s remake 2007 was a completely fresh restart.
Now Halloween 2018 disregards the existence of the two Rob Zombie films, returning to the classic chronology but swipes the slate clean by erasing all films from the original continuity except for John Carptenter’s original.

So yes, this is the third MASSIVE continuity reboot in the Halloween series.

It’s kinda wild. BUT by making this a fresh start - i.e. you just need to have seen the classic original to get what’s going on, forget everything else that came afterwards - it made the film a far more appealing sell to audiences and is one of the many key reasons why the film made almost $80 million this weekend.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:05 pm

Looks like despite a higher than predicted Saturday drop, Halloween is a huge success.

Horror films seem to be pretty hot right now. They're not making Marvel Event Movie money but they're doing well enough to have studios change their stance on R-ratings and budgets, etc.

What makes me curious is why. Seeing First Man it's easy to tell why it didn't take off at the box office. I'm wondering what It and Halloween have in common that they both do so well.

For Halloween anyway, it's one of the rare movies that I like more after thinking it over for a few days. It grew on me when I thought about the script and the way the characters were handled.

Also from what I read about her deal for this movie, Curtis is going to make a mint.
the prophecy is true

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:01 pm

Horror films are always hot but do ebb & flow in importance certainly.
Though in the US at least I’d be willing to make an argument that horror films are having a hot steak right now in response to the insanity of the current political situation we find ourselves in. Horror is easily the most societal focused of all the film genres and is also the easiest genre to sneak in certain messages by dressing it up with a little blood and frights. It never gets the respect it deserves but horror usually confronts serious societal issues looong before the more serious and stuffy drama fare does. For example, George A. Romero’s canon of Living Dead films - Night of the Living Dead, Dawn of the Dead, Day of the Dead & Land of the Dead... less so the ones he made at the end of his life - are all basically political statements about race, consumerism, the overpowering of the military, national xenophobia in response to 9/11 and more just dressed up with some zombies. Land is especially on point with its gilded society living behind walls trying to keep out other ethnic groups and those “Scary things on the other side” all while society looks up to their real-estate billionaire turned opportunistic leader who promises to keep them safe.

When things in the world are bad - and they are at this moment but I’m hopeful for the future - horror as a genre tends to thrive.

Kazuki_Fuse
Matarael
Matarael

•      
  •      

Postby Kazuki_Fuse » Mon Oct 22, 2018 12:08 am

Went and saw Lars Von Trier's new film The House That Jack Built at a film festival today. I quite enjoyed it. Very darkly humorous and Matt Dillon nails the role. While it was gory, and a few moments were pretty shocking, I fail to see what outraged so many people at Cannes. Will definitely be picking it up on bluray.
Avatar: "Here is a magical girl who would not take it anymore"
Hitler AND eating babies in a Shinji thread? Business as usual- TMBounty_Hunter
Sorry, my policy is not to take life advice from people with ego problems who also happen to post on anime forums- CJD
Does Love Live get a lot of shit or something?- caragnafog dog

fnikhall
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby fnikhall » Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:13 am

I watched the first Blade movie for the first time in years the other day because a friend of mine had told me it was terrible but I remembered liking it. So I rewatched it and I had totally forgotten how enjoyable it is. The digital effects are dated but other than that it's entertaining as hell. Wesley Snipes is great as Blade and delivers plenty of one liners without it being too corny for the character and the action scenes are well done. The story is a little cliche sometimes but still works. The opening scene in the club where blade shows up and kills all of the vampires in it just sets up the movie really well and is a great scene. I'm sure people will disagree but I still really enjoy (at least the first) Blade movie.
"Just 'cause you feel it
Doesn't mean it's there" – There, There. Radiohead

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:08 pm

Halloween 4 - The Return of Michael Myers (1988)
This & 2 are my favorites of the series & of slashers in general (haven't seen the new film yet).

Small spoilers...

Nitpicks/Cons...
- Worst mask of the series.
- Officer Logan's characterization is inconsistent. We see him appropriately panicked when he hears about the police station but in his next scene he calls the fortifications the Sheriff is putting up at his house paranoid & later casually calls the situation "hell of a night".

Pros...
- Great moody opening credits surveying farm equipment adorned with Halloween decorations.
- Solid score.
- The film certainty has a different feel from the original 2 films but is still very suspenseful & atmospheric in it's own way.
- Like 2 the film does a decent job of fleshing out Haddonfield as a real town with culture & history.
- Donald as always is great.
- Harris as Jamie remains among the best performances from a child actor I have encountered in a horror film.
- Rachel is a solid final girl.
- Sheriff Meeker (beau starr) I have always thought to be cool, his professional & trusting interaction with Loomis is more enjoyable then the more strained back & forth between Brackett & Loomis in 1/2. We get a faint hint of laziness/denial on his part with him initially trying to blow Loomis off but once he takes things seriously he goes into war mode like a boss.
- I liked that they wrote both Loomis & Myers as having learned from the events of 78, what with Loomis not hesitating to demand a town wide curfew which he resisted doing in 78 and Myers taking out both the Police & Power stations early on & letting officer Logan take him directly to his targets.
- Build up to & reveal of the police station massacre is chilling as well as the triple Michael sequence.
- This is easily the most powerful we have ever seen Myers on film.
- Entire ending from the battle atop the truck to the shootdown, to the twist is epic as hell.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:50 pm

Are you planning to watch the other two entries in the "Thorn Trilogy?" I've never seen any of the sequels besides 2.
the prophecy is true

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Oct 25, 2018 7:57 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:Are you planning to watch the other two entries in the "Thorn Trilogy?" I've never seen any of the sequels besides 2.

Yep. I've seen the whole series before (it's my favorite of the slasher franchises overall), giving the original timeline a rewatch before I see the new movie, I watched h20 earlier in the year, I am skipping Resurrection & Rob Zombie's 2 films. Going to watch the producers cut of 6 for the 1st time in full (only ever seen the alternate scenes on their own out of context)

I recommend you watch the entire series at some point, 4 at the very least. Trailer for 4 here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izDsHmqAl8c
5 is underrated IMO, h20 is decent but overrated, or at least I thought it was, I have seen a ton of people coming out saying it was always lame now that the superior 2018 film is out. (can't believe Curtis apologized for being in h20 a few days ago, it really wasn't bad)

I would rate the franchise...
h1 = amazing
h2 = great (what did you think of 2?)
h3 = good
h4 = great
h5 = fairly good
h6 (theatrical) = very mixed ranging from poor to decent
h6 (producers cut) = good
h20 = decent
Resurrection = bad for sure but slightly underrated (I like the lead female, katee sackhoff is a fun supporting character, much better myers mask then h20, a few really cool creepy shots like this...)

I can't believe 2 & resurrection were directed by the same person, they are farther apart in quality then they are in years apart. (I am aware carpenter added to 2 but he has said it wasn't much beyond just adding some more bloody moments)

H(07) = Ok/Meh
H2(09) = Ok/Meh

The Eva Monkey
IT'S OVER 9000!!!
IT'S OVER 9000!!!

•      
  •      

Postby The Eva Monkey » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:16 pm

Wife is out of town, nothing to do, so I watched a bunch of movies last night.

Up in the Air (2009)

A completely random pick, which I was pleasantly surprised by, the cinematography and editing alone kept me hooked. Thumbs up.

Jurassic Park III (2001)

Repetitive, forgettable, but not nearly as bad as I was expecting. Definitely the low point of the first three films. Thumbs down.

Nick & Norah's Infinite Playlist (2008)

I had heard this was decent, but I didn't really find it funny or entertaining. If anything, there was a toilet/vomit joke that just took it to an unnecessary degree. To think I enjoyed Jurassic Park III more than this. Thumbs down.

Return to “Film and Video”