What are the "Adams"?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Re: What are the "Adams"?

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:56 pm

View Original PostAkko wrote:Oh, you mean this one?
I can confirm that both Mari and Asuka have chokers

Are you sure those aren't just a fashion statement?
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Akko
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Akko » Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:01 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:Are you sure those aren't just a fashion statement?

Now, correct me if I'm wrong but the thing is, this is the only 3.0 official art where we can see Asuka and Mari out of their usual plugsuits and the chokers look identical (same color, small white dot wif you look closely) and really reminiscent of the DSS choker. Of course, that pic was drawn in 2010 so we can't really be sure :shrug:
Evangelion is like a black hole. Just as you thought you got away, it sucks you right back in.

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:17 am

^ Well, with it being that old, it could be DSS Chokers. But I highly doubt the other pilots have the same "punishment" involved, otherwise they would have brought that up during Asuka's fight.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:50 pm

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:^ Well, with it being that old, it could be DSS Chokers. But I highly doubt the other pilots have the same "punishment" involved, otherwise they would have brought that up during Asuka's fight.

This isn't compelling reasoning. Why would it have needed to be brought up during the fight in particular? Seems arbitrary to me, especially if the dramatic reveal is intentionally being saved for the next film. On the other hand, it makes perfect sense as a contingency to keep Mari and Asuka collared as well, particularly since both have gone beyond safe plug depths in their Evas and have had their humanity compromised, same as Shinji. Asuka in particular came in contact with an Angel and shows signs of angelic influence. I shouldn't even have to mention that the Evas are incredibly dangerous weapons even when they aren't opening sky portals. Why wouldn't a group like Wille want to have some sort of failsafe such as the collars?
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:28 pm

^ Well, they made the DSS Choker out to be more like a punishment than anything else because they don't trust Shinji considering he doesn't listen to directions, and he's a known Impact Trigger to boot. And I really do think during Asuka's fight it would have been brought up considering how adamant Ritz was to blow Shinji to kingdom come as NERV was taking him away, she would have brought up the same thing during the fight if Asuka (or Mari) were so equipped, something along the lines of "the DSS Choker is primed just in case"

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:28 am

^

Who should have brought it up? Asuka and Mari had no reason to do it, and Misato and Ritsuko were never showed having any reaction to the Eva fight (except for the "Shinji-kun..." from Misato).

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:27 pm

^ it's just all the fuss made about the collar, it seems like it would have been brought up. But honestly, Shinji must be the only to have it, they don't trust him, and Ritsuko wouldn't need to give Misato a remote she's already have if the other two had DSS Chokers on.

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Wed Oct 24, 2018 2:58 am

The more I read here, the more it confirms why I despise what happened in 3.0. They are all expendable. It isn‘t expected who survies, when only the mission matters. WILLE ‘ll be hunted as soon when they eliminate NERV.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“
-Loading Screen, Spec Ops: The Line

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:46 am

Sorry, I don't get what you're saying.

What says anyone is expendable? After all, Misato didn't kill Shinji when she had reason to, and Asuka picked him up rather than leaving him. Wille's mission is survival, which is the opposite of thinking people are expendable.

Who will hunt down Wille if they eliminate NERV?
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

The Cruel
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby The Cruel » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:57 am

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:Sorry, I don't get what you're saying.

What says anyone is expendable? After all, Misato didn't kill Shinji when she had reason to, and Asuka picked him up rather than leaving him. Wille's mission is survival, which is the opposite of thinking people are expendable.

Who will hunt down Wille if they eliminate NERV?

The survival of humanity itself is the only higher priority than that of WILLEs members and those with higher authority than WILLE would use order A-801 against them. And Eva Pilots end up the same way as Replicants in Blade Runner when they get retired.
I carry out things right to the end. No. Matter. What.

Avatar: I declare myself as WILLEs deserved enemy and Asukas and Shinjis punisher

You can (not) hope

„Unfortunately, those other fools and idiots gave you the most worthless feeling. And that feeling is hope. The unicorn alive shitting a magic rainbow is but an illusion.“
-Doom Head, Rob Zombie's 31

„If you were a better person, you wouldn't be here.“

„Cognitive dissonance is an uncomfortable feeling caused by holding two conflicting ideas simultaneously.“

„It takes a strong man to deny what's in front of him. And if the truth is undeniable, you create your own.“
-Colonel John Konrad, Spec Ops: The Line

„Through the darkness of future past,
the magician longs to see,
one chance out between two worlds.
Fire walk with me!“

-Bob, Twin Peaks

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:23 am

Order A-801 is part of the series continuity, not the films. We do not know whether any higher authority even survives in 3.33.

We haven't seen any Eva pilots retire, so anything about the process is pure conjecture; unless you want to consider the prevention of Shinji from entering an Eva at the start of 3.33 as "retirement" - but that did not lead to his death, even given multiple opportunities.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )

Joseki
Marduk Selectee
Marduk Selectee

•      
  •      

Postby Joseki » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:46 am

View Original PostDarkBluePhoenix wrote:^ it's just all the fuss made about the collar, it seems like it would have been brought up. But honestly, Shinji must be the only to have it, they don't trust him, and Ritsuko wouldn't need to give Misato a remote she's already have if the other two had DSS Chokers on.

Asuka having a similar device makes a lot of sense to me: if they put anti angel seals on the eyepatch they probably put other types of safe measures in case her angel eye does something weird and it gets out of control. No one would want another Bardiel accident with Unit 02 going crazy destroying everything.

airman4
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby airman4 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:41 am

That would mean that Shinji is free unlike the others pilots and Asuka will probably die with that dss choker activated cause Shinji couldn't kill the angel right in the final battle and Shinji wont be able to save her cause he doesnt have the same powers as Kaworu and in the momentuum of the movie it will be revealed that the angel have the same face as a certain Kaworu... OMG ! ^_^

Akko
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Akko » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:25 pm

View Original Postairman4 wrote:That would mean that Shinji is free unlike the others pilots and Asuka will probably die with that dss choker activated cause Shinji couldn't kill the angel right in the final battle and Shinji wont be able to save her cause he doesnt have the same powers as Kaworu and in the momentuum of the movie it will be revealed that the angel have the same face as a certain Kaworu... OMG ! ^_^

...what? Why would Asuka's DSS choker (if she has one) be activated if Shinji didn't kill the angel?

Plus I think we've derailed this topic a little too much...
Evangelion is like a black hole. Just as you thought you got away, it sucks you right back in.

airman4
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby airman4 » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:48 pm

I know, i'm sorry, it was a joke post.

ErgoProxy
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby ErgoProxy » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:03 pm

The Cruel wrote:The more I read here, the more it confirms why I despise what happened in 3.0. They are all expendable. It isn‘t expected who survies, when only the mission matters. WILLE ‘ll be hunted as soon when they eliminate NERV.

Welcome to the desert of the real. While the very concept of sending 14-yo kids to the war is abhorrent, this is what comes in package with a war that may end not with simple extinction of the mankind, but with the literal apocalypse or equivalent (sayonara, afterlife).

pwhodges wrote:Who will hunt down Wille if they eliminate NERV?

Adams, maybe? After all they resemble the good, old, New-Age style aliens watching over the Earth and waiting for the mankind to grow up and ascend the higher plane of existence or whatnot, to make the contact then and establish permanent communication link. But if the mankind chooses to downgrade to its primal animal instincts instead, I think they can take some countermeasures.
JUSTICE & MERCY

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:17 pm

But will the Adams be able to escape the constraints put on them?

ErgoProxy
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby ErgoProxy » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:47 pm

Hm. I don't know, I just always thought that the four Adams we see in Misato's flashback are only few members of a whole species, so that more Adam visitors may appear later and make the decision about the mankind's fate basing on what happened to their fellows and how they were treated. But this is only my wild guess.
JUSTICE & MERCY

ChaddyManPrime
Evangelion
Evangelion

•      
  •      

Postby ChaddyManPrime » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:55 am

I'm thinking Adams are either iterations of kaworu ascended or melded with something, repeats of ascended units one or 13, or Liliths being confused for Adams.
"Look at Me!, I'm Mr. MeeSeeks!" - Mr. MeeSeeks

You know nothing, Jon Snow - Chuckman

ErgoProxy
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby ErgoProxy » Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:57 pm

I'd rather to see Kaworu as a symbol of Japanese canons of culture and aesthetics, especially mono no aware. He's something what Eddie Wedder expressed in one of Pearl Jam's songs:
I know I was born and I know I will die
In between is mine

And this in between is quite evident at his place in NERV.
JUSTICE & MERCY

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”