Asuka's Left Eye in 3.0

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

Re: Asuka's Left Eye in 3.0

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:59 pm

View Original Postpwhodges wrote:But as for any indication that Asuka herself has become or is becoming angelic, I think that the eye-patch argues strongly against that - the angelic contamination in her eye must be sufficiently localised for the eye-patch to be a viable means of control, because if it was her whole being, something more extensive would be necessary.

Reichu wrote:I'm not sure what term will ultimately be used to fill in that question mark, but I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they tapped "nephilim" for this. According to at least one tradition, nephilim are created from a fusion of humanity and angel -- so, pretty much what the pilots are/have become. Nephilim are sometimes depicted as giants, as well, and with the pilots' tendency to "become one" with their rather large Evas this would make the name work on another level.

Taking both of these quotes, it makes sense that the pilots being Nephilim would fit well into the mythology behind EVA. In newer translations of the bible, they are described as being the the offspring of the "sons of god" and "daughters of humans" this definition could describe the pilots, or even the EVAs themselves (or both), given that they are cloned copies of Angels with human souls, that would be the fusion mentioned above. As for the kids, given the Lillin are descended from an Angel, and the pilot's mothers are fused within the EVA's core, and factoring in the loss of humanit comments regarding plug depth, this could all support the theory behind the kids inheriting some Angelic qualities while piloting the EVAs (such as the curse of the EVA being a form of immortality or decreased aging), and any extreme plug depths cause more radical changes, like an infected eye.

As to pwhodges point, an eye patch would be a poor defense against someone who is completely Angelic. However, with only Angelic properties, or powers picked up from extreme plug depths, then the patch would be enough to suppress those powers, similar to Kenpachi Zaraki's eye patch from Bleach.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Akko
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Akko » Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:15 pm

Heh, I can imagine Asuka in the battle against the final angel (assuming she isn't, but it's pretty unlikely) ripping off her eyepatch and unleashing her angelic powers as shit gets fucking real
Evangelion is like a black hole. Just as you thought you got away, it sucks you right back in.

ShonHam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ShonHam » Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:25 am

I would vouch for the theory that there's no physical damage to the eye, so much as it was effected through battle with the angels. There's been some focus brought to the eyes of Unit 02 and Asuka before, I believe this to just be an extension of that small detail. Maybe it'll have more prominence in final.
I do love me some Rei guns.

airman4
Banned

•      
  •      

Postby airman4 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:06 pm

View Original PostAkko wrote:Heh, I can imagine Asuka in the battle against the final angel (assuming she isn't, but it's pretty unlikely) ripping off her eyepatch and unleashing her angelic powers as shit gets fucking real

Or Asuka will probably die like in EoE :D
Anyway it's very interesting as debate, i havent saw this as this angle -> humans+angels and becoming nephilims. For now we have the curse of eva, hope to have more infos on the incoming 4.0

Too bad the Japanese channel i and Akko linked is Japanese only on videos ^_^

Akko
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby Akko » Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:13 pm

View Original Postairman4 wrote:Or Asuka will probably die like in EoE :D

After she goes full angel mode and goes "Y'know what? Fuck humanity" and backstabs everyone and we're all gonna be like "Asuka did nothing wrong" xD But that ain't happening so... maybe they'll find a way where she doesn't need to die
Evangelion is like a black hole. Just as you thought you got away, it sucks you right back in.

Southern4501
Embryo

•      
  •      

Postby Southern4501 » Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:40 pm

I think, it was caused by
Plit Convience

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Wed Dec 25, 2019 7:20 pm

Southern4501 wrote:I think, it was caused by
Plit Convience

Even assuming that there really was no deeper meaning to it, I don't really see which plot this would convenience in the first place - from a narrative standpoint, the eye only serves to complicate existing plots, and to start an entirely new subplot.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Derantor
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Derantor » Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:50 am

"Plot convenience" in the way that Asuka has to suffer, much like Shinji. And what better way to make her suffer than to never let her grow up or change (for the better instead of being an embittered 28 year old), while giving her a constant physical reminder of all the shit that happened to her? The reason that it's not a simple eyepatch is to further alienate her from everybody since she doesn't even consider herself human anymore, and probably isn't.
My writing on Ao3 and FFN

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Mon Feb 03, 2020 8:52 pm

That's not plot convenience tho. That's character motivation.
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”