Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

A subforum for discussions about Film, TV, and Videos.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

Re: Superhero/Comic Based Films & Tv - Vol.2

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:23 pm

This sounds like a fun RedBox rental for me.

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:12 pm

View Original Postsilvermoonlight wrote:When you say horror comedy are you talking sharp Gremlins black comedy that nails it or B movie so good it bad horror?

It's not as good as Gremlins, but that's not a bad comparison.

The horror is fairly toned down, but some scenes are genuinely disturbing, PG-13 or not.

As I said above, the main knock against this movie is the pacing. It spends too much of its runtime on the buildup and doesn't pay it off. I believe it when Hardy says 40 minutes were cut; at least some of that should have gone back in.

It's not a *good* movie. It's hard to describe. It's almost Raimi-esque in an odd way, now that I think about it. More Darkman than Spider-Man, but more Army of Darkness than Evil Dead.

The whole affair has an early 2000s/late '90's feel to it, like a lost film from the Blade/Singer X-Men era that was left in the can because the director went out of control.

View Original PostFreakyFilmFan4ever wrote:This sounds like a fun RedBox rental for me.

It's not a big screen spectacle movie that's really served by a theater-going experience. For whatever reason, it actively chooses to avoid the big splashy set piece moment.

It's kind of refreshing, actually. The fights aren't edited into an incomprehensible mess, there's no blue beam shooting into a sky portal, and the plot is so paper thin as to merely be a vehicle for Hardy as Brock/Venom making an ass out of himself.

What makes it so goddamn funny is how utterly ridiculous Brock is as a character. The movie, I think, strikes a good balance between refusing to take this absurd subject matter seriously without insulting the audience for liking it. It's pure cheese, and it doesn't force the "darkness" down the audience's throat, instead playing it for laughs.

Oh, and I have to reiterate: The mid-credit scene is one of the best I've ever seen and almost worth the price of admission by itself. There's also a short clip of Spider-Verse after the end of the credit reel. It looks pretty damned amazing.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

Gus Hanson
Authentic Wizard
Authentic Wizard

•      
  •      

Postby Gus Hanson » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:06 pm

View Original PostChuckman wrote:It's almost Raimi-esque in an odd way, now that I think about it. More Darkman than Spider-Man, but more Army of Darkness than Evil Dead.

So would that be like saying it's like Batman Returns at times but other times more like Batman Forever?
"Damn it! Who do I have to screw around here just to get a stupid story?!" - Gail Hailstorm, author of the book You're Dead, I'm Rich (Scary Movie)

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Fri Oct 05, 2018 8:43 pm

It’s honestly too upbeat to compare it to any Batman movie. There is no rainy brooding.
the prophecy is true

Statistical fact: Cops will never pull over a man with a huge bong in his car. Why? They fear this man. They know he sees further than they and he will bind them with ancient logics. —Marty Mikalski

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Sat Oct 06, 2018 3:32 am

Titans is getting decent reviews (better than venom)

Anna Diop finally confirmed that Starfire will get a faithful outfit later in Season 1.

Teaser for series adaption of Garth Ennis's The Boys.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FG1EByNnHUU

silvermoonlight
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby silvermoonlight » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:22 am

View Original PostChuckman wrote:It’s honestly too upbeat to compare it to any Batman movie. There is no rainy brooding.

Sounds then more like Return Of The Living Dead which is dark as hell in place yet manges to be very comical.
Anywhere can be paradise as long as you have the will to live. After all, you are alive, so you will always have the chance to be happy.

My Eva fanfiction ff.net Fading In To The Stolen Light For download version please go to AO3
Sequel As The Divine Light Breaks For download version please go to AO3

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:43 pm

It’s not that good.

That’s the best I can say about it. It reaches in the directions of all these camp classics but it can’t get there.
the prophecy is true

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:31 pm

James Gunn may write & even direct Suicide Squad 2.

Ignoring the controversy, I'd be down with him directing, I'm wary of him writing as Guardians v2 was all him writing wise & while I love a lot about that film, the humor was a major weak link with the loud obnoxious turd banter, the tazer face joke being beat into the ground & more.
(:|

FreakyFilmFan4ever
(In)Sufficient Director
(In)Sufficient Director

•      
  •      

Postby FreakyFilmFan4ever » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:31 pm

I lived in a rural area for a time where every man-in-between-jobs-for-5-years-straight-buying-illegal-drugs had a similar attitude as Taseface. To me, these jokes are never not funny.

But also, Holy Shit! James Gunn working with Disney’s direct competition? Ouch.

El Squibbonator
Nerv Employee
Nerv Employee

•      
  •      

Postby El Squibbonator » Thu Oct 11, 2018 2:15 pm

View Original PostGendo'sPapa wrote:Which honestly makes sense to me since Disney/Marvel are fully intending to merge all the X-Men characters into the MCU over the course of the next few years & while every other character is going to be recast - I fully expect a new Wolverine will be cast by 2020- they don't intend to get rid of Ryan Reynolds. BUT they do want to make him a PG-13 character. A re-release of PG-13 Deadpool 2 would be an ideal way to test the idea.

But that's missing the entire point of the character. Deadpool only works in an R-rated movie. There's no way to make him marketable to children, because that's the whole concept of him as a person-- a ruthless assassin who kills people in a variety of gory, gruesome ways, while at the same time spouting profanity. THAT'S. WHAT. DEADPOOL. IS. If you took all that away from him, you'd be left with. . . I don't know, probably the "Deadpool" from X-Men Origins: Wolverine.

Disney needs to understand that they are a company, and not just a brand. What do I mean by this? Well, neither of Disney's biggest competitors (Time Warner and Comcast) have an overarching commitment to being "family-friendly" that prevents them from releasing material aimed at adults. Time Warner, for example, owns HBO, which airs the very adult-oriented Game of Thrones. Disney, on the other hand, refuses to release anything with more than a PG-13 rating, not even through subsidiaries such as Lucasfilm and Marvel. So why can't they be more like Time Warner or Comcast, and just release movies for adults as well as kids and families?
Life can seem a challenge. Life can seem impossible. It's never easy when so much is on the line.

Do you like Eva? Do you like Pokemon? Then check out Neon Genesis Evangelemon-- You Can (Not) Catch 'Em All thread/16052/Neon-Genesis-Evangelemon/

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:36 am

Surprised to see no one is talking about how Netflix has cancelled both Iron Fist AND Luke Cage. Throw in the quiet cancellation of The Defenders - Netflix let it quietly die but but it was one of the biggest massive disasters for them, from what I heard from some colleagues involved in the shows the original plan was to have The Defenders be a super series with a new season every 18 months wher each go-around introduces new cheap-O Marvel characters who would then get their own spin-offs - and rumors that Jon Bernthal is really not happy that no matter what they try to do The Punisher forever remains an avatar for meathead gun loving racists & the Alt-Right everywhere and I’d be curious to see if any of these Netflix/Marvel shows are still around when Disney Streaming starts pumping out their Official The-Real-Deal MCU tie-in series in late 2019/early 2020.

The Punisher has finished filming Season 2 and Jessica Jones Season 3 is in production right now so even though I don’t intend to watch them I will be curious from a strictly business - plus supporting my friends sense - to see if any of these shows get picked up for any future seasons. Frankly, I feel only Daredevil (or as I tend to view it, 13 Hours of Catholic Guilt) getting picked up for another season is a possibility and that THAT Season 4 being used as a pseudo Defenders Season 2 to wrap everything up.

Call me crazy but I would bet that even for Netflix’s Keep-Them-Watching-With-New-Content-All-The-Time business model, releasing FOUR similar toned 13 Hour TV shows set in the same universe over the course of one year really cannibalized the MCU/Netflix business somewhat.

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:50 pm

A Falcon & Bucky team up series announced for the Disney streaming service.

Birds of Prey confirmed castings...
Mary Elizabeth Winstead as Huntress.
Jurnee Smollett-Bell as Black Canary.
Ewan McGregor as Black Mask.

Virginia Madsen (candyman) cast in the Swamp Thing series.
According to Deadline, Madsen will be playing Maria Sunderland, who does not appear to be an established DC Comics character.

Maria "traded in her privileged upbringing for the swamps of Marais when she married local business magnate Avery Sunderland (not yet cast), but Avery’s life-time obsession with the swamp has driven a wedge between him and Maria. Her poised existence is shaken further when the return of Abby Arcane reawakens a deep grief over the loss of Maria’s daughter, Shawna, drawing her into the dark supernatural mysteries emerging from the swamp."

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:40 pm

Recently watched BAtman: Assault on Arkham. Easily my favorite Superhero movie in just about all aspects, and (in my opinion) far more interesting characters than the beaten to death Batman vs Joker story (I mean it's in there, too, but it's not the focus).
Also, somehow Killer Frost manages to kill some 10 people on screen and still come off as one of the genuine nicest characters in the entire franchise
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:06 pm

Once Upon A Deadpool to be released in a limited engagement on December 12. Limited run sounds like it will officially end Christmas Eve.
Basically it's Deadpool 2 re-cut to be PG-13 and will have a new framing device that was shot in a day with Ryan Reynolds, Fred Savage & a probable cameo or two. Good chunk of proceeds - $1 of every ticket sold - to be given to "Fudge Cancer" charity.
So it's a nice surprise for comic nerds.

https://deadline.com/2018/11/deadpool-r ... 202495981/

Chuckman
Chuckman
Chuckman

•      
  •      

Postby Chuckman » Mon Nov 05, 2018 3:20 pm

I'm going to have to go see that just for the Princess Bride reference.
the prophecy is true

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:23 pm

More Swamp Thing news.

Andy Bean (power) as Alec Holland & Derek Mears (2010 predators, 09 f13 & Hatchet 3) as The Monster.

Will Patton (2018 halloween) as lead villain Avery Sunderland.

cyharding
Our Man in Tokyo 3
Our Man in Tokyo 3

•      
  •      

Postby cyharding » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:30 pm

Here's a trailer for all of you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PCf03KXyzIg
Finding intelligent life on the web is not easy, we must all be glad we found EGF. - A.T. Fish
You Can Start Again. Chapter 32 now released. Now on FF.net
Oh, Eva, you never cease to amaze me. Your fans are analizing a calendar, for god's sake.- Alpha

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Tue Nov 20, 2018 2:05 am

movieartman
DNA Donor
DNA Donor

•      
  •      

Postby movieartman » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:33 pm

Ton of very positive Aquaman short reviews - https://www.comicbookmovie.com/aquaman/ ... ie-a164935

This comment...
The chemistry between Arthur and Mera carry the film

Is very pleasing to me as they are my favorite couple in comics thanks to Geoff John's new 52 Aquaman run.

Gendo'sPapa
Committeeperson
Committeeperson

•      
  •      

Postby Gendo'sPapa » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:53 pm

CoughNetflixCancelledDaredevilCough.
I heard talk of this three weeks ago but it’s official now.
To put it bluntly, Netflix is cleaning house of all things Marvel because the shows are expensive and in the long run they’re only really acting as marketing for the Disney/Marvel brand. They can throw on as many dark filters and “serious discussions” they want but people still approach these series as fun diversions between the Disney movies. Since Disney is planning to remove ALL their films and series off Netflix sometime next summer - Marvel, Pixar, Star Wars, Classic animation, if it’s by Disney it’s gone - AND Disney+ is going to have actual streaming shows that tie into the theatrical MCU directly there really isn’t a point to keep these hanger on shows around. The whole affair is disadvantageous for Netflix now and Disney too wants these shows gone because they’re “tarnishing” the Marvel brand.
Cancellations for Jessica Jones & The Punisher most likely (but not positively) won’t be announced until after they’re released but short of a surprise they’ve kept well well hidden the Marvel/Netflix collaboration is essentially over.

Though once that is done I wouldn’t be surprised - actually I’d say it’ll be a given - if Disney was willing to buy & Netflix be amendable to selling them the characters back so Daredevil may continue Daredeviling in a future more PG-13 friendly Disney+ Marvel show... you’ll just need a Disney+ membership to see it.

Return to “Film and Video”