3.33 Tonal Shift

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
AdamMalkovitch
Clockiel
Clockiel

Re: 3.33 Tonal Shift

•      
  •      

Postby AdamMalkovitch » Mon Mar 26, 2018 10:56 am

View Original PostGuy Nacks wrote:I could not disagree more and I have no clue how you think the kid, who is borderline catatonic at the end of the film, is in a better place than he was at the end of episode 24. In addition to indirectly causing Kaworu's death, he has been made to believe that he is the DIRECT cause of the ruination of the entire world...this is not something that NGE!Shinji was burdened with.

I'm on board here. Overall, it seems like Neon Genesis Shinji, while more depressed and unstable, seemed to use that to make himself stronger, whereas New Theatrical Shinji is more prone to action and doing things for himself, but is very fragile, and behind the bravado and strength shown at the end of Break, is just the scared kid he was in Neon Genesis.
*injects Angel blood* I know what the fuck an EVA is now :)

Sachi
Oh Daddy!
Oh Daddy!

•      
  •      

Postby Sachi » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:57 am

I moved the tangent about Shinji drowning himself in EoE here: post/876015/Was-emo-Shinji-becoming-AN-HERO-in-25/#876015
- Sachi

I host the discord server for the EvaGeeks forums. Join us! https://discord.gg/aBQ3F6M9yp

BlueBasilisk
Bridge Bunny
Bridge Bunny

•      
  •      

Postby BlueBasilisk » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:49 pm

View Original PostACGT-Samael wrote:Because the Shinji at home end of Episode 24 was so despondent he was already veering towards suicide. Look at the start of EoE, which immediately follows on from 24. He tried to drown himself, then became so dejected he wouldn't physically move.

Shinji at the end of 3.33 took far less coaxing to get up and start walking, and here he actually has his fellow pilots to push him off in a direction of action, rather than sit and rot.

Right. He still has Asuka and Rei there with him, and even though Asuka's mad at him she still cares enough that she tracked him down and rescued him, and he isn't nearly as combative with her as he was Misato.

He also has the opportunity to learn the truth about Kaworu and the Third Impact. There's nowhere left for him to run and nobody to feed him lies and half-truths except Gendo. Those are going to be bitter pills for Shinji to swallow, I'm sure, but the truth will probably be liberating too. Shinji is still in a bad place personally but the circumstances around him are totally different and that gives him more avenues for progress than he had in the tv series.
Someday I hope that we'll be reunited if that is what's destined to be. Perhaps we'll discover that elusive bible. And then we will finally be free!

ShonHam
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby ShonHam » Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:56 am

The shift in tone was definitely noticeable, but to be honest I welcome it. It's really what keeps me invested, and having comedy pushed in alongside the serious sombre tone wouldn't really feel natural, at least in my opinion.
I do love me some Rei guns.

ErgoProxy
Shamshel
Shamshel

•      
  •      

Postby ErgoProxy » Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:23 am

Yeah, well. The tonal shift certainly is a thing here. Actually it was harsh enough to make me ask myself, do I really want to watch the 3.33 'till the end, even though it's only a bloody "chinese 'toon", I simply couldn't stand the situation and atmosphere Shinji was dropped into and managed to complete the movie only after I remembered that Shinji's a self-insert of Mr. Anno. Once I got that, there was no reason for me to identify with him and his emotional state any longer.

Frankly, I really hate the shows inducing such futile, helpless anger towards certain characters, who have enough power to thwart any action of the protagonist(s), while doing whatever harm to him/them they find reasonable or simply amusing. But to conclude, I remember at least one show raising such topic on a regular basis and well, it's the blasted Star Trek TNG.

I think I don't need to spill the name of character from that pyjama continuum I always wanted to kill - need I?
JUSTICE & MERCY

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”