Why do some people not want to talk about 3.0/Q before the last movie comes out?

Discussion of the new series of Evangelion movies ( "Evangelion Shin Gekijōban", meaning "Evangelion: New Theatrical Edition"). The final instalment made its debut in Japan on March 8, 2021.

Moderators: Rebuild/OT Moderators, Board Staff

Forum rules
By visiting this forum, you agree to read the rules for discussion.
FrDougal9000
Tunniel
Tunniel

Why do some people not want to talk about 3.0/Q before the last movie comes out?

•      
  •      

Postby FrDougal9000 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:48 am

I've been a fan of Evangelion since 2012, which meant that I got to experience the various reactions to 3.0 as soon as it premiered in theatres. I consider myself to be somewhat okay at understanding why people feel the way they do about any piece of media, even if I don't agree with them, but one reaction I've never really understood is not wanting to talk about or analyse 3.0 until the final film is out.

I don't really get it, I must be honest. I understand not wanting to really dig into something if you don't have the full context, but I never seem to hear this brought up in relation to the first two films, which folks generally seem okay with analysing (granted, that could just be my own ignorance). I've also heard the suggestion that 3.0 doesn't present a complete story, which I find a little bit eyebrow-raising considering that the film does have a complete character arc/narrative (Shinji's thrust into a new, alien world -> Shinji makes a friend in Kaworu, but slowly comes to realize his role in the creation of this new world -> Shinji tries to set things right, but makes things much worse and indirectly gets Kaworu killed). No, it's not completely resolved, but I could argue that same train of thought for the first two films as well.

I don't mean to pick a bone with people who don't want to talk about 3.0 until the final film's release; you're free to do whatever you want in how you experience and dissect media, and I won't begrudge you for it. I just want to know the mindset behind it, if only to get a better understanding of those who subscribe to that mindset. Thanks.
Pen-Pen died for your sins!

Reichu
Admin Emeritus
Admin Emeritus

Re: Why do some people not want to talk about 3.0/Q before the last movie comes out?

•      
  •      

Postby Reichu » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:17 am

Where have you run into people like this? On EvaGeeks? The problem sounds unfamiliar to me. If not here, then you're not going to get a useful answer posting here. You want to ask the actual people you're talking about. When you can just ask "some people" directly, there's absolutely no need for crowd-sourced speculation about why certain people act the way they do.
さらば、全てのEvaGeeks。
「滅びの運命は新生の喜びでもある」
Departure Message | The Arqa Apocrypha: An Evangelion Analysis Blog

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: Why do some people not want to talk about 3.0/Q before the last movie comes out?

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Aug 14, 2018 10:33 am

Some people find that Q makes them so miserable, and so uncertain of how Shinji's situation can be resolved, that they don't want anything more to do with it until they know that there is a resolution. These people have found the delayed appearance of the last film especially difficult to cope with.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: The end of the journey (details); Past avatars.
Before 3.0+1.0 there was Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

Blockio
Full/Super Moderator
Full/Super Moderator

•      
  •      

Postby Blockio » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:43 am

I guess some people don't get Q at all (which is nothing bad per se) and somehow still think that Anno will just spell it all out for them in the end, refusing to deal with any aspect they don't understand and justifying it to themselves that Q is too incomplete to be understood. Of course, this completely misses the point of the movie, but it wouldn't be Eva if there weren't people completely missing the point :derp:
I can see why Gendo hired Misato to do the actual commanding. He tried it once and did an appalling job. ~ AWinters
Your point of view is horny, and biased. ~ glitz2hard
What about titty-ten? ~ Reichu
The movies function on their own terms. If people can't accept them on those terms, and keep expecting them to be NGE, then they probably should have realized a while ago that they weren't going to have a good time. ~ Words of wisdom courtesy of Reichu

eldomtom2
Lilith

•      
  •      

Postby eldomtom2 » Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:55 am

Because a lot of people, including myself, view 3.33 as a lot of setup with the payoff held until 3.0+1.0. Whether that setup will be good or not is another matter. It is worth remembering that the two films were meant to come out as one release, but that fell through (just like the last time they wanted to do something like that...).

TheFriskyIan
Lord Hamburger
Lord Hamburger

•      
  •      

Postby TheFriskyIan » Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:13 am

I might understand the idea of waiting for the last film to help tie up the loose ends left in Q, but that shouldn't mean we can't discuss the merits of the film individually; I mean, we don't give 1.0 or 2.0 that same pass and having read through all the posts in the "Debate the quality of rebuild here" thread, I can say there was little talk about "We're only half way done" while the critiquing occurred. My view on Q has bounced around like a pinball over the years since it was released; it's a very very very very good movie, but at the same time there's plenty of flaws that leave me frustrated. Flaws that aren't going to be addressed in the final film. It's not pointless to wait until the last film to get a clear picture, but there's merit to discussion now, even though we've probably already discussed everything from Q to death by now.
Please just call me Ian, "TheFrisky" is more of a title.

"Knowledge seeks no Man."

DarkBluePhoenix
Pilot
Pilot
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:10 pm

It's probably more to avoid the speculation spiral about the unfinished business of the film and/or the literal corner they're written into. But I think i's the opposite on here, there's loads of stuff about 3.0 that's been discussed.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

Return to “Rebuild of Evangelion Discussion”