What manga are you reading right now?

Non-Eva Anime and Manga discussion

Moderators: New Moderators, Board Staff

pwhodges
A Lilin in Wonderland
A Lilin in Wonderland

Re: What manga are you reading right now?

•      
  •      

Postby pwhodges » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:48 pm

Not yet reading it - but I have just ordered the Utena manga. Should be here by the weekend.
"Being human, having your health; that's what's important." (from: Magical Shopping Arcade Abenobashi )
"As long as we're all living, and as long as we're all having fun, that should do it, right?" (from: The Eccentric Family )
Avatar: "It was yourself you ran away from" - episode 16. (details); Past avatars.
Can't wait for 3.0+1.0? - try Afterwards... my post-Q Evangelion fanfic (discussion)

DarkBluePhoenix
Lilin
Lilin
Location: Somewhere between the light in my heart and the darkness in my soul

•      
  •      

Postby DarkBluePhoenix » Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:36 am

After years of watching Dragon Ball Z, I've decided to finally read the Dragon Ball manga, and once I finish the 500-ish chapters, I'll move on to reading the DBS manga.
Avatar - Heero Yuy, pilot of Wing Gundam Zero. If you want to read my NGE fanfic go to my profile here - DarkBluePhoenix on FanFiction.net or DarkBluePhoenix on AO3

Voted in college to be Most likely to Take Over the World, how to do that however, will require at least Four Evangelions. Thanks for the idea Misato-san!
"Now I am become Death, the destroyer of worlds." Said at the beginning of the nuclear age by J. Robert Oppenheimer.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger." Words of Wisdom from German Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.

ZQFMGB
Adam

•      
  •      

Postby ZQFMGB » Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:30 am

I'm currently reading Attack On Titan and Ikigami: The Ultimate Limit.

For those who slept in a cave for the last ten years, Attack On Titan take place in a world where humanity has been almost eradicated by creepy giant humanoids called Titans. The survivors protected themselves by building three giant walls, and thanks to that there was a 100 year long peace. And of course, it's about to change, because a manga about humans just stagnating in a peaceful environment wouldn't be very interesting. I won't say more for those who haven't read it and managed to avoid being spoiled.

Ikigami take place in an unnamed asian country. This country is very similar to modern Japan, except that it has a very special law. In first grade, all students recive an inoculation. A small percentage of those inoculations contain a nano capsule which will kill the poor kid who received it between the ages 18 and 24. According to the government, it's supposed to help people understand "the value of life", increase productivity and prosperity, but it's also a good mean to control the population. And if you aren't okay with innocent people being killed randomly, then you'll be killed or brainwashed. So yeah, it's totally a dictatorship, but most people are too scared or brainwashed to say it.
The story itself follows Fujimoto, a man whose job is to deliver the "Ikigami", a notification which says "hey, you're going to die in 24 hours for the country, enjoy your day !". Each chapter is an independent story of a victim of this law, so we can see how they think about it, what they'll do in their last day, etc.
It's very interesting to see how they react. There's those who try to have a good time within their last moments, those who try to do something useful to end their lives beautifully, and... there's those who snap, go berserk and try to retaliate in their own ways.
As the story progress, we also get to see Fujimoto's doubts about the law. Again, I won't say more for those who are interested in reading it, but it's very interesting.

Yeah, I like light-hearted and cute things.
Nerv is recruiting new employees ! Check the list below to see what are the required competences for each job !

Commander : being as unexpressive as possible and doing a perfect "Gendo pose".
Vice Commander : looking constipated.
Operations director : hurling orders which have 95% chances of failing.
Chief scientist : looking amazed and puzzled when something goes wrong with an Eva.
Bridge operator : saying what's going wrong with an Eva and which emergency procedure isn't working.
Therapist : thera what ?

Alaska Slim
Frigus Ignoramus
Frigus Ignoramus

•      
  •      

Postby Alaska Slim » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:41 am

Gosu ( the master)

Korean in origin, and just absolutely gorgeous artwork. Has a fake-out beginning, and follows the disciple of a well-renowned martial artist as he fights to TAKE REVENGE for his master (and deliver dumplings on time). It's partly satirical.

One thing, it's really hard to gauge "power" in this series. The main character is presented as OP, and it's as if we're just waiting for the antagonists to discover how ****** they are.

But sometimes his life is at stake, and it's like... this doesn't look much different from him winning the fight, other than that there's more whining involved.

Further, I think it suffers from the Naruto problem, where the world doesn't seem scaled to extreme powers like this existing.

What's the point of a mountain pass fortification, if someone can just Rasengan it to smithereens at any time?

Still, beautiful to look at.
"It's all fun and games till one of you gets my foot up your ass." - FofR, TrivialBeing.net Webmaster

"I blame teenage girls for everything." - Dr. Dave

"God is in his Heaven, and free men walk upon the Earth" - Rev. Robert Sirico, President of the Acton Institute

Return to “Anime and Manga”